What Manga are you reading?

Post about anime's sister, manga in here. Manga reviews accepted in here as well.

Postby uc pseudonym » Sat Feb 20, 2010 12:34 pm

Shut Hell Volumes 1-3

My rule of thumb is to assume anything with the gender-bender tag is of terrible quality and suspect motives, but I was wrong in this case. So far the main character has not once commented about the fact that he's now a woman, but has stabbed several people through the face. It seems to me that the author wanted to do a historical series about the Mongols and just threw in a modern segment to hook readers.

The writing's alright, but difficult to judge overall. Unfortunately, for me the art is in some kind of uncanny valley between heavily stylized and actually good.
uc pseudonym

Serious

Postby Vega » Sat Feb 20, 2010 12:42 pm

Nana and hikaru no go
The mind is so complex when your based. 32 levels. Welcome to my world. --Lil B
I'm not guna let anything take the love from my heart, the love of life and spreading peace and positive, thank you earth I'm alive. --Lil B
Swag like I'm marrow, in my bones. Swag in my bones. Bone Marrow Swag. -- Lil B
Shouts out to Lil B "The Based God".
Vega

Postby SeraphicCharm » Sun Feb 21, 2010 2:26 pm

Kare Kano!!!!!!!
SeraphicCharm

Postby Wyntre Rose » Mon Feb 22, 2010 3:43 pm

Finished x/1999 (well, the 18 volumes that have been written, anyway) and working my way through 20th Century Boys.

X/1999 I'd seen the TV series for, so there wasn't a whole lot new - but the violence was taken to a whole new level. o.0 Though after Baccano! I don't think there's probably too much as far as non-sexualized animated violence goes that would really shock me too deeply. *sigh* 'K CLAMP it's been on hiatus for what, 7 years now? Let's get a move on and finish this baby!

So far have only read the first 2 volumes of 20th Century Boys. Very intriguing, but it hasn't hooked me as deeply as Monster or Pluto yet. I have faith, though!
Wyntre Rose

Postby wildpurplechild » Mon Feb 22, 2010 6:42 pm

Just finished 7th vol of Moon Boy!! It was sooo good! I wish I had people to discuss it with!
Heads up, I don't go on this site much these days...
The King is enthralled by your beauty; honor him, for he is your lord. Psalm 45:11
wildpurplechild

Postby Kung_Fu_Master » Tue Feb 23, 2010 2:13 pm

Started the "A Certain Scientific Rail gun" may start "A Certain Magical Index" after.

That and the "Durarara" manga which brings in another point of view for the anime.
World Domination or Bust :thumb:
Kung_Fu_Master

Location: In the Animation department at school with hours of homework.

Postby yukoxholic » Tue Feb 23, 2010 2:36 pm

Crimson Hero 11
yukoxholic

Postby That Dude » Tue Feb 23, 2010 2:37 pm

Started reading "Vinland Saga." Up to chapter 15.
I am convinced that many men who preach the gospel and love the Lord are really misunderstood. People make a “profession,â€
That Dude

Postby TheSubtleDoctor » Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:03 pm

I just borrowed Hunter x Hunter Vol 11-13 from the library. I suualy do not read manga, but I am now making a concerted effort to get into manga, especially since the HxH TV series ended so abruptly. I have never gotten into it b/c I never knew what was good. I read the first 10 volumes of Inu Yasha 7-8 years ago. But now I'm gonna stick to it! BTW, I am enjoying the HxH manga immensely!
TheSubtleDoctor

Postby ich1990 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:42 pm

TheSubtleDoctor (post: 1375850) wrote:I just borrowed Hunter x Hunter Vol 11-13 from the library. I suualy do not read manga, but I am now making a concerted effort to get into manga, especially since the HxH TV series ended so abruptly. I have never gotten into it b/c I never knew what was good. I read the first 10 volumes of Inu Yasha 7-8 years ago. But now I'm gonna stick to it! BTW, I am enjoying the HxH manga immensely!

Hunter X Hunter is to InuYasha what Fullmetal Alchemist is to Bleach.

You chose well, friend. Just hope that the writer doesn't die of old age before he finishes the series.
Where an Eidolon, named night, on a black throne reigns upright.
ich1990

Postby That Dude » Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:09 pm

So, I was catching up on the newest chapters (25-28) of Billy Bat, and I gotta say, DUDE! WHAT!?!?
I am convinced that many men who preach the gospel and love the Lord are really misunderstood. People make a “profession,â€
That Dude

Postby TheSubtleDoctor » Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:59 pm

Just received the first One Piece omnibus collection (vols 1-3). I am darned excited! Don't know a thing about this series, but I am taking the plunge. I will start on this post my philosophy readings.
TheSubtleDoctor

Postby Fish and Chips » Mon Mar 08, 2010 1:41 pm

Billy Bat vol. 3
FullMetal Alchemist vol. 25
One Piece vol. 23
Steel Ball run vol. 15
Vagabond vol. 16-18

I think by this point I imagine Naoki Urasawa wakes up at some comfortable time he has since become accustomed to, a faint Bob Dylan chord drifting in the background, stirring his coffee rhythmically, two sugars, taking only the most cursory of glances at the relations charts he must have plastered over half his house like wallpaper to know that everything is going exactly according to plan.

Meanwhile, across the district, Hirohiko Araki who requires neither sleep nor coffee, folds his hands together and knows, in his immortal heart, that he's going to have to draw some Civil War era zombies.
Fish and Chips

Postby yukoxholic » Mon Mar 08, 2010 1:47 pm

Hot Gimmick, Vol. 1 VIZBig edition
yukoxholic

Postby RainbowSounds » Mon Mar 08, 2010 4:18 pm

Fruits Basket Vol. 8 + 9

I've never read manga before....but I found these at my school library so I'm gonna give them a go.
"Life is like woodshavings. Except when its in a pail, because then its a pail of woodshavings."
RainbowSounds

Postby yukoxholic » Wed Mar 10, 2010 3:05 pm

Finished Hot Gimmick Volume 1. Hatsumi is such a moron. >_>

Reading: Maid-Sama Volume 1
yukoxholic

Postby AnimeGirl » Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:12 pm

Just read Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicles volume 18 and 19. Pretty good; too bad they didn't make an anime of this arc!
"For what use is there in praying if you will only hear what you want to hear." - As I Lay Dying *The Sound Of Truth*

Let's make an AMV together!

Kokoro no Uta The thoughts of an aspiring mangaka (yeah...this is my blog >.>)

Ooh look! I have fanfiction! YAY!!!!!!!
http://www.fanfiction.net/~sevencandlesticks
If you like Tsubasa and Cardcaptors, then you might like what I've written (if I didn't slaughter the series... XD)

He heals the brokenhearted and binds up their wounds - Pslam 147:3
AnimeGirl

Postby TGJesusfreak » Fri Mar 12, 2010 10:56 am

I'm currently reading skip beat. (or at least giving it a try)
TGJesusfreak

Location: USA... Earth... the milky way galaxy... the universe...

Postby Lynna » Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:23 pm

the current list:
Gakuen Alice(awaiting next chapter)
Skip Beat! (awaiting next chapter)
Kimi ni todoke (awaiting next chapter)
Shugo chara encore!(Ditto)
Naruto
Aria
I Believe in the Sun/Even when It's not shining/I belive in Love/Even When I Don't Feel it/And I Believe in God/Even when He is silent/And I, I Believe ---BarlowGirl
@)}~`,~ Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks To All The CAA Moderators
DeviantArttumblrBeneath The Tangles
Avatar (lovingly) taken from The Silver Eye webcomic
Lynna

Postby Fish and Chips » Fri Mar 12, 2010 6:26 pm

Blade of the Immortal vol. 22
One Piece vol. 24-26[spoiler]Blackbeard is a better villain than Aizen could ever hope to be.[/spoiler]
Fish and Chips

Postby TheSubtleDoctor » Fri Mar 12, 2010 9:40 pm

Just finished Vol. 3 of One Piece. Currently reading Vol. 1 of Trigun and eagerly awaiting Vols. 14-16 of Hunter x Hunter.
TheSubtleDoctor

Postby uc pseudonym » Sat Mar 13, 2010 12:46 pm

Hunter x Hunter

We still have a few people here following, right? Keeping comments spoiler-free, I've enjoyed the recent battle, given that it's the highest powered we've seen so far and that it still retained a fair degree of novelty. Perhaps a disappointing end, but I'm favorably inclined toward anything that ends without a victor. Then chapter 299 came along... I guess we were overdue for some of Togashi Yoshihiro's weirdness.

Fish and Chips wrote:One Piece vol. 24-26

If you think he's a good villain as of those volumes, you're in luck. I actually wasn't a big fan at the beginning, but in some of the most recent chapters he's really shown his worth as a character. I look forward to what he does in the rest of the series.
uc pseudonym

Postby Fish and Chips » Sat Mar 13, 2010 1:34 pm

uc pseudonym (post: 1380712) wrote:If you think he's a good villain as of those volumes, you're in luck. I actually wasn't a big fan at the beginning, but in some of the most recent chapters he's really shown his worth as a character. I look forward to what he does in the rest of the series.
I'm already aware of his recent exploits, actually. It's a tricky combination of who he is right now and the knowledge of who he'll be in the future that I can say this, maybe a bit preemptively. Though I still like his character in these volumes, since its a different take on an antagonist than I'm used to in Manga.

If inclined I could actually go into a fair bit of detail as to why I think he's such a suitable antagonist for the series.
Fish and Chips

Postby Mr. Hat'n'Clogs » Sat Mar 13, 2010 8:01 pm

Yotsuba&! volumes 1-6. This is an amazing series, dare I say it, possibly BETTER than Azumanga Daioh!
Mr. Hat'n'Clogs

Postby blkmage » Sun Mar 14, 2010 6:29 am

Mr. Hat'n'Clogs (post: 1380803) wrote:Yotsuba&! volumes 1-6. This is an amazing series, dare I say it, possibly BETTER than Azumanga Daioh!

That is an accurate assessment.

So I've finally been getting around to catching up in Hayate the Combat Butler. I can see why people called the Athena arc jarring, since there's very little buildup, not much has been done with what was introduced, and the tone of the arc was pretty different from the rest of the manga. Hopefully, some interesting plots will come out of it. I can see it being a fairly heavy influence on whatever ending this series has.

And from what I've been hearing, I continue to be glad that I picked up Negima and dropped Bleach and Naruto.
blkmage

Postby yukoxholic » Sun Mar 14, 2010 11:27 am

One Piece Volume 25
yukoxholic

Postby Wyntre Rose » Mon Mar 15, 2010 8:34 pm

Final Vizbig volume of Rurouni Kenshin is on it's way - should be here Wednesday - so I'm rereading the previous volumes to be ready. FINALLY! Yay! I'm excited. I love the Vizbig editions, but geez, it's taken a long time to get them all out. Can't even imagine how long it will take to release all of InuYasha...
Wyntre Rose

Postby blkmage » Mon Mar 15, 2010 8:37 pm

Why did I read all of Shugo Chara? It is a mystery; the world may never know.
blkmage

Postby TheSubtleDoctor » Tue Mar 16, 2010 1:40 pm

Completed Trigun (original not Maximum).

Vol 14 of Hunter X Hunter

This volume of Hxh contains the best/worst, most amazing name in the history of Japanese entertainment. I submit to you all: Biscuit Krueger. Come on, Togashi-san...Biscuit? Really?
TheSubtleDoctor

Postby blkmage » Tue Mar 16, 2010 2:45 pm

TheSubtleDoctor (post: 1381512) wrote:the best/worst, most amazing name in the history of Japanese entertainment.

I see that you haven't watched any Gundam.
blkmage

Previous Next

Return to Manga and Manga Reviews