Anime Recommendations Thread

The real heart of CAA; discuss specific series, issues, and things related to anime here.

Postby Makachop^^128 » Sat Sep 26, 2009 11:52 am

Anyone heard of Paranoia Agent?
I saw the opening and thought it looked interesting, reminded me of Paprika.
Anyone recommend it?
"We're not gonna die. We can't die, Bendis. You know why? Because we are so...very...pretty. We are just too pretty for God to let us die."-Mal

http://www.facebook.com/ShaylaChan

http://www.shelfari.com/shaylabot
http://myanimelist.net/profile/ShaylaBot
Makachop^^128

Postby Maokun » Sun Oct 04, 2009 12:48 am

Good eye. Paranaoia Agent is the only TV series that movie director Satoshi Kon from Paprika's fame has done. It is great stuff, though a bit psychologically heavy. And yeah, the opening totally rocks.
Maokun

Postby AngelicTotoro » Sun Oct 04, 2009 11:55 pm

Hi~ I'm not here to ask for suggestions for some shows, I'm here to ask about content of some shows I might try out. The shows are, Shugo Chara, Tokyo Mew Mew, and Glass Mask. Do these have anything evil in them? Something that would be offencive toward a christian? Thank you.
:hug:
The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not want. He makes me lie down in green pastures; He leads me beside quiet waters. He restores my soul; He guides me in paths of righteousness For His name's sake. Even though I walk though the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil; for thou art with me; Thy rod and Thy staff, they comfort me. Thou dost prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies; Thou hast anointed my head with oil; My cup overflows. Surely goodness and lovingkindness will follow me all the days of my life, and I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever. Psalm 23
AngelicTotoro

Postby That Dude » Mon Oct 05, 2009 7:39 am

Hey has anybody seen "Persona -Trinity Soul-?" I watched the first episode and it made it seem pretty promising. Just wondering what others thought about it.
I am convinced that many men who preach the gospel and love the Lord are really misunderstood. People make a “profession,â€
That Dude

Postby Makachop^^128 » Mon Oct 05, 2009 12:44 pm

Maokun (post: 1348959) wrote:Good eye. Paranaoia Agent is the only TV series that movie director Satoshi Kon from Paprika's fame has done. It is great stuff, though a bit psychologically heavy. And yeah, the opening totally rocks.

ah so I was right ^^
so its a good anime?
I'm fine with being a bit heavy the only thing I can't stand is any sexual, sick scenes.
"We're not gonna die. We can't die, Bendis. You know why? Because we are so...very...pretty. We are just too pretty for God to let us die."-Mal

Makachop^^128

Postby steenajack » Mon Oct 05, 2009 10:40 pm

Hi~ I'm not here to ask for suggestions for some shows, I'm here to ask about content of some shows I might try out. The shows are, Shugo Chara, Tokyo Mew Mew, and Glass Mask. Do these have anything evil in them? Something that would be offencive toward a christian? Thank you.

I have seen some of Tokyo Mew Mew and read some things about it. The Japanese version has corroded humor and a strangle scene. There is some magical girl transformation scenes that have slight fanservice, as well as some other things. However, the english version had none of this and edited the transformation scenes. But it is incomplete. They also heavily edited it, so it tends to stray from the original plot. It's also a bit cheesy (in my opinion) but you can try it if you want. The other two I haven't seen so I can't really recommend them.

But if you're looking for a clean anime, I would suggest ALL the Hayao Miyazaki films (except princess mononoke and Lupin the third: castle of caliosrto) They are all, in general, family friendly. But I'd read reviews on them before you decide (you can find all of them here). Miyazaki does tend to have eastern religious elements to his movies, as well has environmental themes, but other than that they are mostly clean. You may have seen these before, but I hope I was of help to you. :D
Please, feel free to check out my sites:

My Deviant Art[/color]
MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL!!!
My FictionPress[/color]
My tumblr[/color] Read...fave...reblog...repeat...
steenajack

Postby That Dude » Tue Oct 06, 2009 7:53 am

Makachop^^128 (post: 1349153) wrote:ah so I was right ^^
so its a good anime?
I'm fine with being a bit heavy the only thing I can't stand is any sexual, sick scenes.

One of the main characters is a prostitute so there's some brief nudity and some implied sex if I remember correctly.
I am convinced that many men who preach the gospel and love the Lord are really misunderstood. People make a “profession,â€
That Dude

Postby Makachop^^128 » Tue Oct 06, 2009 8:09 am

That Dude (post: 1349383) wrote:One of the main characters is a prostitute so there's some brief nudity and some implied sex if I remember correctly.

well I can deal with that just no rape or anything like that.

Makachop^^128

Postby That Dude » Tue Oct 06, 2009 9:10 am

Makachop^^128 (post: 1349386) wrote:well I can deal with that just no rape or anything like that.

As far as content it's about equal with Paprika, so if you had no problem with that, then you'll have no problem with this.
That Dude

Postby Makachop^^128 » Tue Oct 06, 2009 9:01 pm

That Dude (post: 1349393) wrote:As far as content it's about equal with Paprika, so if you had no problem with that, then you'll have no problem with this.

ok cool! I love paprika, good movie.

Makachop^^128

Postby AngelicTotoro » Thu Oct 15, 2009 6:43 pm

steenajack (post: 1349351) wrote:I have seen some of Tokyo Mew Mew and read some things about it. The Japanese version has corroded humor and a strangle scene. There is some magical girl transformation scenes that have slight fanservice, as well as some other things. However, the english version had none of this and edited the transformation scenes. But it is incomplete. They also heavily edited it, so it tends to stray from the original plot. It's also a bit cheesy (in my opinion) but you can try it if you want. The other two I haven't seen so I can't really recommend them.

But if you're looking for a clean anime, I would suggest ALL the Hayao Miyazaki films (except princess mononoke and Lupin the third: castle of caliosrto) They are all, in general, family friendly. But I'd read reviews on them before you decide (you can find all of them here). Miyazaki does tend to have eastern religious elements to his movies, as well has environmental themes, but other than that they are mostly clean. You may have seen these before, but I hope I was of help to you. :D

Thank you. I guess the Japanese version of Tokyo Mew Mew doesn't sound so bad, I'll try it out. (I heard the english version is beyond cheesy. :grin:)

Thanks for the advice, actually I have seen a few of Hayao Miyazaki's films, and I really enjoy them. (But yeah, I know that I should avoid those two since I'm not exactly at the appropriate watching age for them. :hits_self)
The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not want. He makes me lie down in green pastures; He leads me beside quiet waters. He restores my soul; He guides me in paths of righteousness For His name's sake. Even though I walk though the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil; for thou art with me; Thy rod and Thy staff, they comfort me. Thou dost prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies; Thou hast anointed my head with oil; My cup overflows. Surely goodness and lovingkindness will follow me all the days of my life, and I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever. Psalm 23
AngelicTotoro

Postby Maokun » Sat Oct 17, 2009 3:04 pm

Makachop^^128 (post: 1349386) wrote:well I can deal with that just no rape or anything like that.

Yeah, in that case, keep clear from Satoshi Kon's Perfect Blue. :P Paranoia Agent should be fine; it is about very flawed people so you'll find some questionable behaviour (there's a man who installs a spycam in his daughter's room to see her changing clothes to mention a example) but nothing is explicit or shown under an approving light.

If you liked Paprika, I wholeheartedly recommend Tokyo Godfathers by the same director. Absolutely beautiful and heartwarming.
Maokun

Postby Barracuda777 » Sat Oct 17, 2009 7:00 pm

TRIGUN is amazing
Barracuda777

Postby Makachop^^128 » Sat Oct 17, 2009 8:05 pm

[quote="Maokun (post: 1351204)"]Yeah, in that case, keep clear from Satoshi Kon's Perfect Blue. :P Paranoia Agent should be fine]

ok thanks ^^, that sounds cool then.
I heard Tokyo godfathers is amazing.

Makachop^^128

Postby Roz » Thu Nov 05, 2009 10:55 am

Could someone please tell me the negative content for Sakura Wars?

Thanks!
Roz

Postby mysngoeshere56 » Thu Nov 05, 2009 1:49 pm

Okay guys so now that I've finished Sailor Moon, I'm looking for another series with super powers and action to watch. What do you recommend? I'll probably be watching more Naruto and Bleach... I've started Shugo Chara! and really like it so far. ^_^
-Sno
mysngoeshere56

Postby Tsukuyomi » Thu Nov 05, 2009 2:03 pm

I've never seen Sakura Wars, but I think there are demons and whatnot, so if you have a problem with demons, then you may want to stay away ^^ if not, go for it ^^
Tsukuyomi

Location: I am a figment of your imagination... I live only in your dreams... I haunt you ~(O_O)~

Postby Mr. Hat'n'Clogs » Thu Nov 05, 2009 6:21 pm

mysngoeshere56 (post: 1354350) wrote:Okay guys so now that I've finished Sailor Moon, I'm looking for another series with super powers and action to watch. What do you recommend? I'll probably be watching more Naruto and Bleach... I've started Shugo Chara! and really like it so far. ^_^

If you're looking for superpowers, I would have to reccomend Darker than Black. It's a fairly episodic show at first, but then develops an overarching plot, and the characters are fantastic. Just don't get too attached to anyone.
Mr. Hat'n'Clogs

Postby blkmage » Thu Nov 05, 2009 6:30 pm

mysngoeshere56 (post: 1354350) wrote:Okay guys so now that I've finished Sailor Moon, I'm looking for another series with super powers and action to watch. What do you recommend? I'll probably be watching more Naruto and Bleach... I've started Shugo Chara! and really like it so far. ^_^

I've noticed you have finished the first season of Nanoha. I highly recommend that you check out Nanoha A's.
blkmage

Postby minakichan » Sun Nov 08, 2009 6:41 am

Can someone suggest some anime that is:
1) Very close to 24 episodes in length (very close meaning that 26 is a bit too long)
2) Mostly episodic, so that missing large chunks doesn't really affect appreciation that much
3) Preferably fairly recent, although licensed is kind of a plus
4) Not too niche, something that can be enjoyed by a pretty wide range of people

I'm trying to compile a list of potential anime for anime club. We might try to show an entire series 2 episodes a night for a semester (we recently did Darker than BLACK, which worked out quite nicely with the whole 2 ep arcs).

Thanks!
ImageImage
minakichan

Postby Wyntre Rose » Sun Nov 08, 2009 9:57 am

Well, there are a few episodic anime that I'd recommend, but neither of them seem to fit the criteria you have for length. Mushishi - which is my favorite, and the one I'd recommend the most highly - is 26 episodes, which you said was a bit too long. Kino's Journey is the other, but that one only has 13 episodes. Sorry, those are the only ones that come to mind, really.
Wyntre Rose

Postby minakichan » Sun Nov 08, 2009 10:25 am

26 is really the upper limit, although 24 is certainly preferred. Going slightly less is OK too. Well, regardless, we've shown all of Mushishi already, so...

Thanks anyway!
ImageImage
minakichan

Postby blkmage » Sun Nov 08, 2009 10:29 am

Casshern Sins might fit the bill for you. I've only watched about two-thirds of it so far, but I know for sure that it's a lot like DtB in that it's episodic until the final arc. It's a modern take on Casshern and has a fantastic art style and is really recent (it aired in fall 2008). It's exactly 24 episodes.

Other things you might want to consider are the two seasons of Natsume Yuujinchou, which is episodic and is about a guy who can see youkai (summer 2008 and winter 2009), or two seasons of Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei, which might be a bit more niche. There's also Spice and Wolf (the first two seasons, winter 2008 and summer 2009) which has six episode arcs, but if you're watching two at a time, I don't think it'll be too much of a problem.
blkmage

Postby mysngoeshere56 » Sun Nov 08, 2009 2:36 pm

Tsukuyomi (post: 1354352) wrote:I've never seen Sakura Wars, but I think there are demons and whatnot, so if you have a problem with demons, then you may want to stay away ^^ if not, go for it ^^

Depends on how the demons are portrayed, and how close it is to being fantasy or "the real thing". I've heard about Sakura Wars a lot but I never really knew what it was about... What is it about?

Same with Darker Than Black.

And thanks - I'll definitely check out A's sometime.
-Sno
mysngoeshere56

Postby Fish and Chips » Sun Nov 08, 2009 5:07 pm

Tsukuyomi (post: 1354352) wrote:I've never seen Sakura Wars, but I think there are demons and whatnot, so if you have a problem with demons, then you may want to stay away ^^ if not, go for it ^^
mysngoeshere56 (post: 1354858) wrote:Depends on how the demons are portrayed, and how close it is to being fantasy or "the real thing". I've heard about Sakura Wars a lot but I never really knew what it was about... What is it about?
As someone who subjected himself to the full Sakura Wars television show, they seem to be going by the Japanese definition of the word rather than the Western connotation.

And besides the point, they're all really lame.

On the plus side, do not let this dissuade you from the inherent hilarity of a Russian serving the Japanese government in the early 1900s. They'll never say anything, but you'll know, you'll know.
Fish and Chips

Postby Godly Paladin » Wed Nov 11, 2009 5:56 am

'Sup guys - it's been a looooong time since I've been to this board and since I was active in the anime world.

So what's hot right now, in terms of "mature" anime? What's the new Cowboy Bebop, Black Lagoon, Akira, Hellsing Ultimate, or Vampire Hunter D? You know, serious anime for serious folks? I saw Sword of the Stranger, and that was pretty good. I'm not interested in teen cutesy/cheesy crap like Haruhi (sorry guys), Gundam 00, or Code Geass (again).

And I've seen basically everything (it feels like it) made before the last five or six years.

Peace.
ImageImage
Godly Paladin

Postby blkmage » Wed Nov 11, 2009 6:25 am

Darker than BLACK immediately comes to mind, mostly because the second season is currently airing. Another fairly popular one is Baccano!. I personally really like the Kara no Kyoukai movies. And CANAAN and Eden of the East might be what you're looking for too.
blkmage

Postby That Dude » Wed Nov 11, 2009 9:03 am

You could also check out Ergo Proxy if you haven't already.
That Dude

Postby Falx » Wed Nov 11, 2009 10:35 am

Godly Paladin (post: 1355430) wrote:'Sup guys - it's been a looooong time since I've been to this board and since I was active in the anime world.

So what's hot right now, in terms of "mature" anime? What's the new Cowboy Bebop, Black Lagoon, Akira, Hellsing Ultimate, or Vampire Hunter D? You know, serious anime for serious folks? I saw Sword of the Stranger, and that was pretty good. I'm not interested in teen cutesy/cheesy crap like Haruhi (sorry guys), Gundam 00, or Code Geass (again).

And I've seen basically everything (it feels like it) made before the last five or six years.

Peace.

You should check out the Kara no Kyoukai movies. I notice you've watched Black Lagoon and any questionable content in there is a bit higher than in the movies so you should be fine with watching it. There are six out now, with a seventh coming in a month or so.
Blessed be the LORD my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
My goodness, and my fortress; my high tower, and my deliverer; my shield, and he in whom I trust; who subdueth my people under me.

神はそのひとり子を賜わったほどに、この世を愛して下さった。それは御子を信じる者がひとりも滅びないで、永遠の命を得るためである.

My MAL Profile. Please check out my Dad's Christian eBook on Facebook.
Falx

Postby RandomBurrito » Thu Nov 12, 2009 10:23 pm

I had a quick question about that anime Nana:seven of seven. I noticed that in the review it said there was no fanservice until the last episode. How bad is the fanservice? Like, is it super revealing or something minimal? I don't like disgusting things so if it's bad than I'll probably put it to the side.
[SIZE="5"][color="White"]Praise Father, Son, and Holy Ghost! [/color][/SIZE]

[color="DarkOrchid"]@[/color][color="Green"])}~`,~[/color] [color="Yellow"]Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks, To All The CAA moderators.[/color]
:hug:
RandomBurrito

Previous Next

Return to Anime and Anime Reviews