What Manga are you reading?

Post about anime's sister, manga in here. Manga reviews accepted in here as well.

Postby Wyntre Rose » Tue Sep 01, 2009 10:26 pm

Just finished chapter 168 of Hikaru no Go in English, and working through the first chapter in Japanese for study purposes.

I'm completely enthralled, maybe even addicted. I would never have guessed that a manga about a board game about which I have no knowledge whatsoever would keep me so riveted, but it truly is!

It's also very fun to see some earlier work from Takeshi Obata. It's pretty obvious that some of his character designs from Hikago were...shall we say prototypes?...for the ones he would later use in Death Note, another one of my favorite series.

Loving the family friendly factor of Hikago, too. :thumb:
Wyntre Rose

Postby KeybladeWarrior » Wed Sep 02, 2009 11:08 pm

Reading GinTama volume 13
@)}~`,~ Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks, To All
The CAA Moderators.

"YEAH TOAST! TOCAA!"
KeybladeWarrior

Postby ich1990 » Thu Sep 03, 2009 10:30 am

MasterDias (post: 1343211) wrote:Bloody Monday
A teenage hacker, his friends, and the elite agents of the PSST Third-I are all that are standing in the way of a strange terrorist group trying to release a deadly virus. And enemy spies could be in the most unlikely places...

This is a really addicting series. It's a bit similar to Death Note, as it showcases geniuses trying to outmaneuver each other, but it's by no means a DN clone. Also, it somehow makes me care about the minor and secondary characters who get killed off, and manages to keep a high level of tension throughout...

Sounds good. If I may ask, what kind and level of objectionable content does it contain? I see it is tagged as "mature" on the site were I get my scans.
Where an Eidolon, named night, on a black throne reigns upright.
ich1990

Postby uc pseudonym » Thu Sep 03, 2009 12:42 pm

Knights Volumes 1-3

This title ranks pretty high on the generic scale, but there aren't as many medieval manga as you might think. The series itself is somewhat generic, but I still read through the few volumes that are available because of an assortment of details that kept me interested. For one, it's about the witch hunts of a church that is clearly analogous to medieval Catholicism. For another, it is one of the few manga titles I've read to feature a black person in a way that didn't feel vaguely racist, and the only one to have such a character in a primary role.

ich1990 wrote:Sounds good. If I may ask, what kind and level of objectionable content does it contain? I see it is tagged as "mature" on the site were I get my scans.

One of the terrorist agents uses seduction as a tool. She's a prominent character in the beginning but less so as the series continues. I think the mature tag is probably because of a few nearly unclothed scenes near the beginning, but other than that it's mostly your usual outfits and some blood.

I wouldn't exactly sing the praises of Bloody Monday, but it's interesting enough. It also changes up the mind games often enough that it doesn't become too repetitive. For anyone reading it, though, I'd say the beginning is the worst part. Things improve once some more genius characters are introduced.
uc pseudonym

Postby MasterDias » Thu Sep 03, 2009 1:14 pm

I've never been really sure why it got tagged mature, as I didn't find much that's particularly more extreme than other series that didn't get this rating.
As UC mentioned, the terrorist Maya Orihara is probably the worst...and there's a few fanservice bits particularly at the beginning, but that's about all. There's a lot of blood, but no extreme gore or the like.
-----------------------------------------
"Always seek to do good to one another and to all."
1 Thessalonians 5:15

"Every story must have an ending." - Auron - Final Fantasy X

"A small stone may make a ripple at first, but someday it will be a wave." - Wiegraf - Final Fantasy Tactics
MasterDias

Postby ich1990 » Thu Sep 03, 2009 9:11 pm

Thank you both. I will give it a try.
ich1990

Postby Htom Sirveaux » Fri Sep 04, 2009 3:48 pm

Parasyte vol. 1. Not bad. I've read better, but it's something new and different for me.
If this post seems too utterly absurd or ridiculous to be taken seriously, don't. :)
Htom Sirveaux

Postby That Dude » Sat Sep 05, 2009 7:55 am

I started reading Bloody Monday, and am up to chapter 15 I think...
I am convinced that many men who preach the gospel and love the Lord are really misunderstood. People make a “profession,â€
That Dude

Postby Robin Firedrake » Sat Sep 05, 2009 10:05 am

Just finished up volumes one and two of one piece. Gotta wait to go back to the library for more though. <_<
Robin Firedrake

Postby Arya Raiin » Tue Sep 08, 2009 7:13 pm

I'm reading Naruto #2 again and Dragon Drive #1
Arya Raiin

Postby blkmage » Wed Sep 09, 2009 4:34 pm

Amanchu is a lot more topical than Aria was. While Aria was all about Akari discovering things about Neo Venezia and life in general, Amanchu is has a lot of technical details about diving. Maybe there should be a gondola rowing guide for Aria?
( ゚∀゚)アハハ八八ノヽノヽノヽノ \ / \/ \
blkmage

Postby mysngoeshere56 » Thu Sep 10, 2009 6:57 pm

Finished Tokyo Mew Mew volume 2 last night. It's not my favorite, but it's cute. I'll keep reading.
-Sno
mysngoeshere56

Postby blkmage » Thu Sep 10, 2009 8:06 pm

Started on a shoujo series called Dengeki Daisy. It contains a bit more than just standard shoujo romance, what with the thickening plot that is developing. Of course, said plot has to do with a bunch of the characters who are software engineers, so that makes me pleased.
blkmage

Postby MasterDias » Fri Sep 11, 2009 9:09 pm

Monster volumes 15-18
I finally finished this up. Overall, I think I probably like 20th Century Boys more because of the scifiish elements and interesting plot structure, but Monster was a good read.
I'm fairly amused with the way the final confrontation went.

Suikoden III: The Successor of Fate volumes 7-11
For an adaptation of a video-game, this one was actually worth reading, I thought. The mangaka's art lent itself well to the battles, and made them easy to follow.

Ping volumes 1-2
Generic manhwa with martial arts and ninja, but it was sort of entertaining.
-----------------------------------------
"Always seek to do good to one another and to all."
1 Thessalonians 5:15

"Every story must have an ending." - Auron - Final Fantasy X

"A small stone may make a ripple at first, but someday it will be a wave." - Wiegraf - Final Fantasy Tactics
MasterDias

Postby uc pseudonym » Sat Sep 12, 2009 12:33 pm

Has anyone looked at Deadman Wonderland since it started up again?

[spoiler]To be honest I didn't dislike the previous arc all that much, it is the chapters following that have bugged me. Particularly the cooking one... is there anyone reading the series for that kind of thing? I'm disappointed that it looks like she has some kind of multiple personality issues, as opposed to being deceptive (which was the only thing that made me care about the plot twist).

Though the most recent chapter has both people exploding and gaining large dosages of crazy, so perhaps this is only an interlude.[/spoiler]

Ultimo is also back, and proving thoroughly generic. But there's just so much of Stan Lee's face, I read out of morbid fascination...

I'm still reading Superior, though I feel it's going downhill quickly. The original concept seemed like it was only supposed to go for a few volumes, and instead of making it longer by expanding into a broader world, it seems to be a series of random escapades.

And since I'm making comments about ongoing series, is there anyone here following Ares? I wouldn't call it great, but it's a different flavor of shonen that I find refreshing. I like having skilled people randomly thrown throughout armies instead of being limited to main characters and those with unique character designs.
uc pseudonym

Postby Blacklight » Wed Sep 16, 2009 8:45 pm

I'm reading several manga from the library, including but not limited to:

Death Note (I started reading the scanlations, but I decieded to get the volumes from the library instead.)

Tsubasa: Reservoir Chronicle (Like pretty much everyone out there, haha. I read vol. 7 today, and considering the last vol. is coming out on the 30th, I'm a little worried about the ending, I'm just hoping that it's still good.)

InuYasha

D.N.Angel

Fruits Basket

I'm also waiting for Full Metal Alchemist vol. 1 to show up at the library.
(I request my manga, so it's held for me until I go pick it up.)
Etc.
[color="Blue"]@)[/color][color="Green"]}~`,~[/color]
[font="Book Antiqua"][color="DeepSkyBlue"]Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks, To All The CAA Moderators.[/color][/font]

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

[color="Pink"]chatbot 03:36 - Blacklight asks, are you sane?
My answer: It's hard to say, really.[/color]
Blacklight

Postby Wyntre Rose » Thu Sep 17, 2009 3:16 pm

Just read the latest chapter of xxxHolic, and I don't know you guys...

[spoiler] I'm kind of scared CLAMP is going to pull one of their famous :eh: twists and turn Watanuki or Doumeki into Fei Wong Reed...it's just a bad feeling in the pit of my stomach as of yet, I guess I'll know in a few weeks [/spoiler]

If so...:bang::mutter::waah!:

On a brighter note, I ordered the latest Vizbig edition of Rurouni Kenshin, which should be here any day now, so I'm rereading until that point to refresh my memory. Look out Kenshin, here comes Enishi! Hooray for the Jinchuu arc!
Wyntre Rose

Postby Fish and Chips » Thu Sep 17, 2009 8:00 pm

FullMetal Alchemist vol. 24
Giant Robo - the Day the Earth Burned vol. 1
Steel Ball Run vol. 11-12

And various chapters of Livingstone, Great Teacher Onizuka: Shonan 14 Days, and Billy Bat, though how those work out into volumes I'm not sure. Overall, fantastic entries, each. SBR in particular stands out (HUR HUR) for a good dose of Araki Superpowers. Seriously, the Honest Woodsman is a superpower now.

Also, I am reading Ultimo on and off for basically the exact same reason UC is.
Fish and Chips

Postby everdred12a » Thu Sep 17, 2009 9:05 pm

Fate/Kaleid Liner Prisma Ilya (1-10)
Toradora (finally got caught up; 21)
To Aru Kagaku no Choudenjibou (5-12)

everdred12a

Postby Zoan » Thu Sep 17, 2009 11:51 pm

I'm only really reading Ouran... but I need some new good stuff to read. :D
Zoan

Postby Maokun » Sat Sep 19, 2009 4:10 pm

20th Century Boys chapter 50

RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGE
Maokun

Postby Maokun » Thu Sep 24, 2009 12:36 am

20th Century Boys chapter 110

Haha, my brain finally clicked and everything fell in place! I know who's "friend"! Obviously, this comes with the unavoidable "ugh, how could not have realised it sooner!" feeling.
Maokun

Postby Fish and Chips » Thu Sep 24, 2009 1:20 am

Melty Blood vol. 5-6 COMPLETED
Tegami Bachi vol. 1-2

The Nasuverse may be the worst possible of all universes to be immortal and indestructible in.
Maokun (post: 1347144) wrote:20th Century Boys chapter 110

Haha, my brain finally clicked and everything fell in place! I know who's "friend"! Obviously, this comes with the unavoidable "ugh, how could not have realised it sooner!" feeling.
Hint: It's not Maruo.
Fish and Chips

Postby Maokun » Thu Sep 24, 2009 5:22 am

Fish and Chips (post: 1347148) wrote:Hint: It's not Maruo.

Lol, of course it's not. Here, this sentence by a secondary character, long, long ago was what jumped to mind when everything started to make sense]"don't forget "friend" can float in the air".[/spoiler]
Maokun

Postby goldenspines » Thu Sep 24, 2009 5:29 am

Fullmetal Alchemist vol. 20, with any luck. I'm toting it to school with me today. :D
goldenspines

Postby Blacklight » Thu Sep 24, 2009 5:13 pm

Ah, yes, I am also reading "Ouran", but this is the first volume to arrive in ka-waiit a while (So... I forgot to list it.). I am number 11 in line for Clover vol. 1... but I used to be 13... then 12... ... for months... 0.0 *sigh*
(There is only ONE volume ONE of Clover. So it's 1 book shared between TWELVE people! And it's taking forever to move along. :-( oh well, I'll live.)
I currently have FMA vol. 2 with me and am yet to read it.
I have vol. 13 of Fruits Basket.(am yet to read.)
I am about halfway through Ouran vol. 5.
I have volumes 8,9 and 10 of D.N.Angel. (Yet to read.)

So... yeah.
[font="Book Antiqua"][color="DeepSkyBlue"]Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks, To All The CAA Moderators.[/color][/font]

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Blacklight

Postby Maokun » Fri Sep 25, 2009 6:10 am

20th Century Boys chapter 200.

Well I was right, though shortly after, the author started dropped heavy hints and the big reveal was just a couple volumes after and not ten or so, as I thought. Robbed me a bit of the victory I felt. Well, at least I can now speculate on [spoiler]the identity of the new "friend"[/spoiler] and I think I have a pretty good idea who is it.
Maokun

Postby ich1990 » Fri Sep 25, 2009 3:18 pm

Maokun (post: 1347386) wrote:20th Century Boys chapter 200.

Well I was right, though shortly after, the author started dropped heavy hints and the big reveal was just a couple volumes after and not ten or so, as I thought. Robbed me a bit of the victory I felt. Well, at least I can now speculate on [spoiler]the identity of the new "friend"[/spoiler] and I think I have a pretty good idea who is it.

Every time you post about this manga I have the urge to drop some mysterious hint, but I have managed to stop myself so far. After all, at the rate you are reading 20th CB you will find out for yourself pretty soon anyways and something this good is better experienced with no prior knowledge. However, after considerable thought I must say this:

"Ha!"

Enjoy the ride, you won't find another manga like 20th CB.
ich1990

Postby mysngoeshere56 » Fri Sep 25, 2009 6:02 pm

Got through volume 14 of Sailor Moon! :)
-Sno
mysngoeshere56

Postby Blacklight » Sun Sep 27, 2009 3:50 pm

I've got two volumes of Tsubasa (vol. 8 - 9.) waiting for me.
I also read all the English volumes of Gothic Sports, but... that's only 3 volumes in English while there's a fourth in German.
I actually haven't checked on it for quite a while, so last time I checked (months and months ago.) there were only 3 in English.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Blacklight

Previous Next

Return to Manga and Manga Reviews