Anime Recommendations Thread

The real heart of CAA; discuss specific series, issues, and things related to anime here.

Postby Makachop^^128 » Wed Jul 22, 2009 2:02 pm

That Dude (post: 1330690) wrote:I second Escaflowne. It's amazing!

And if you haven't watched it yet, then you need to see Trigun.

I was watching Trigun at one put but stopped cause I found Cowboy bebop lol I might pick it up again
"We're not gonna die. We can't die, Bendis. You know why? Because we are so...very...pretty. We are just too pretty for God to let us die."-Mal

http://www.facebook.com/ShaylaChan

http://www.shelfari.com/shaylabot
http://myanimelist.net/profile/ShaylaBot
Makachop^^128

Postby Fish and Chips » Wed Jul 22, 2009 2:27 pm

Makachop^^128 (post: 1330739) wrote:I was watching Trigun at one put but stopped cause I found Cowboy bebop lol I might pick it up again
The immortal stuggle continues.
blkmage (post: 1330576) wrote:For mecha, look no further than the big hits of last year: Gundam 00, Code Geass, and Macross Frontier. Beyond that, for something that's kind of like a more subdued Eureka Seven, there's Xam'd: Lost Memories.
This might be sort of a sore spot, but how exactly would you suppose anyone to actually get ahold of Xam'd: Lost Memories? $350+ is a pretty hefty recommendation fee to rent Sony's lack of initiative to market to DVDs.
Fish and Chips

Postby Makachop^^128 » Wed Jul 22, 2009 3:24 pm

This might be sort of a sore spot, but how exactly would you suppose anyone to actually get ahold of Xam'd: Lost Memories? $350+ is a pretty hefty recommendation fee to rent Sony's lack of initiative to market to DVDs.

hm.. well my brother has this thing called anime plus which has a TUN of animes and he can download them for only 15 dollars a month so I'll use that
"We're not gonna die. We can't die, Bendis. You know why? Because we are so...very...pretty. We are just too pretty for God to let us die."-Mal

Makachop^^128

Postby thisiskris89 » Wed Jul 22, 2009 4:56 pm

Air Tv is what i would recommend.that was such a rich, deep, thoughtful, and heartbreaking show.its like,different somehow.you can watch it all on youtube.
do it.do it now.
i also recommend Fate/Stay Night.thats a really cool show as well.im not sure how to explain it other than fantasy and warriors with mystical powers who control other mystical people with powers who fight against eachother for a championship to save the world...or something like that...but you can see it on youtube as well.
i also suggest honey and clover.its a sweet and funny show about a group of art students.check it out on youtube.
I love that youtube!
i float like a cloud and sting like a paper cut!:thumb:
thisiskris89

Postby Maokun » Wed Jul 22, 2009 5:27 pm

Thirding Escaflowne. Go, go, mechas in fantasy settings! If you like it, dive immediately into Magic Knights Rayearth which is in the same vein.
Maokun

Postby Makachop^^128 » Wed Jul 22, 2009 7:03 pm

thank u very much everyone ^^ I shall check them out!

Makachop^^128

Postby Fish and Chips » Wed Jul 22, 2009 7:05 pm

Makachop^^128 (post: 1330761) wrote:hm.. well my brother has this thing called anime plus which has a TUN of animes and he can download them for only 15 dollars a month so I'll use that
Not legally you won't, unless Xam'd is suddenly no longer a PlayStation Network downloadable exclusive, like it's been since day one.

Which would be wonderful, so please prove me wrong.
Fish and Chips

Postby MasterDias » Wed Jul 22, 2009 7:07 pm

Fish and Chips (post: 1330750) wrote:The immortal stuggle continues.This might be sort of a sore spot, but how exactly would you suppose anyone to actually get ahold of Xam'd: Lost Memories? $350+ is a pretty hefty recommendation fee to rent Sony's lack of initiative to market to DVDs.

They announced at one of the recent cons that both DVD and Bluray of the show will get released...sometime...hopefully...soon...
Of course, Sony has a less than stellar anime release history. I sort of feel sorry for the Cyborg 009 and Blood+ fans.
-----------------------------------------
"Always seek to do good to one another and to all."
1 Thessalonians 5:15

"Every story must have an ending." - Auron - Final Fantasy X

"A small stone may make a ripple at first, but someday it will be a wave." - Wiegraf - Final Fantasy Tactics
MasterDias

Postby EricTheFred » Wed Jul 22, 2009 7:17 pm

Well, if it's the outfit by this name I found via Google, then it's one of those sites that gets people to pay them for fansubs. Most of the titles mentioned on the front page are not yet licensed.
May the Lord bless you and keep you.
May He cause His face to shine upon you.
May He lift up His countenance and grant you peace.

Maokun: Ninjas or Pirates? (Vikings are not a valid answer, sorry)

EricTheFred: Vikings are always a valid answer.

Feel free to visit My Writing.com Portfolio

Largo: "Well Ed, good to see ya. Guess I gotta beat the crap out of you now."

Jamie Hyneman: "It's just another lovely day at the bomb range. Birds are singing, rabbits are hopping about, and soon there's going to be a big explosion."
EricTheFred

Postby RandomBurrito » Wed Jul 22, 2009 10:16 pm

Alrighty .. I have more questions. If that's ok .. ^_^'

Is Please Twins, Maria Watches Over Us, Girl's High, Kujibiki Unbalance, Robotech: Shadow Chronicles any good? As far as magical content, sexual content, some violence (as long as it's not too heavy or towards women and children) because those are the main things that kinda bother me. I like action stuff so that is not a problem. I found these titles on Netflix and would like to rent them if they are any good. Thanks for all your help in the past and I hope I'm not being bothersome. ^^
[SIZE="5"][color="White"]Praise Father, Son, and Holy Ghost! [/color][/SIZE]

[color="DarkOrchid"]@[/color][color="Green"])}~`,~[/color] [color="Yellow"]Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks, To All The CAA moderators.[/color]
:hug:
RandomBurrito

Postby Maokun » Thu Jul 23, 2009 12:25 am

If you favour action, the first four of your list will disappoint you because they are romance/slice-of-life. Please Twins is a spin off from a seris called Please Teacher, if I remember correctly it has some innuendo and fanservice but nothing terribly offensive.

Maria-sama has a heavy catholic background, I just mention it in case it bothers you. Besides that, being set in a girls-only private education institute, it has lots of hinted romantic relationships between girls but there is nothing explicit.

Kujubiki Unbalance is a silly Spinoff from Genshinken and I'm not really sure it makes much sense or has much appeal beyond that.

Lastly, but not least, my personal advice is to keep away from anything called "Robotech" in principle. Robotech, rather than being an anime series, is a heavily edited american, frankestenian monstruosity made up of three very different anime series, patched up by uncaring, money-grubbing corporate goons in an attempt to make a hefty profit during the first days of the anime phenomenon in the US. You may, much rather watch the original series it was made of, especially Macross.
Maokun

Postby RandomBurrito » Thu Jul 23, 2009 9:19 am

Thanks for the help.

I actually don't mind romance/slice-of-life stuff but I pretty much like any type of anime (as long as it's not horror, eh.... O.O).

Hm .. the catholic stuff won't bother me but it's the girl relationship thing that would. That's one of the reasons I stopped watching .hack//.

I might consider Kujibiki, it seemed like it would be quite comical and well (you can guess from my SN) that I like comedy.

Eep, ok scratch that off my list. I don't like horribly edited stuff. Like the dub version of Tokyo Mew Mew.... eh.
[SIZE="5"][color="White"]Praise Father, Son, and Holy Ghost! [/color][/SIZE]

[color="DarkOrchid"]@[/color][color="Green"])}~`,~[/color] [color="Yellow"]Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks, To All The CAA moderators.[/color]
:hug:
RandomBurrito

Postby Lady Kenshin » Thu Jul 23, 2009 2:36 pm

Hm... okay, people. I'm at a bit of a standstill here... as everything I'm watching right now is still being released (or I am watching with my sister so I have to wait for her to get back) so I don't have much to watch, just stuff to look forward to.

Right now, I am watching:
Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood (Airing)
Higurashi Rei (Airing)
Umineko (Airing)
Code Geass
Axis Powers Hetalia

I have watched/read and enjoyed:
Fullmetal Alchemist (first series)--My absolute favorite anime of all time!
Monster-- the best anime/manga ever.
Higurashi-- Oh my goodness, amazing! Such a perfect balance of scary and cute and bloody and all around kick-booty!

I watched/read part of Death Note, but I lost interest when I learned about a little something that happens in the middle of the series.

I do not like:
Bleach-- I read about 18 volumes of it before I realized I just didn't like it at all.
Naruto-- Was into it briefly, but still no cigar.
One Piece-- The art kills it for me, and it's too long.

I also watch/read shojo occasionally, but I don't wish primarily for suggestions from that genre. Most of what I LOVE is seinen for whatever reason.

Content-wise... anything goes, I just don't want anything too heavily sexual, but as I guess you can tell, violence doesn't matter and language doesn't either.

Oh, and PLEASE nothing too long. I don't have time to catch up on 200+ episodes of something.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

It's okay to be a fanfiction author... http://www.fanfiction.net/~loveslabourswon
Lady Kenshin

Postby Wyntre Rose » Thu Jul 23, 2009 3:46 pm

Would anyone recommend Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei? I've heard some interesting things about it, but wondered what the content is like. Language doesn't really bother me, and violence I can deal with, just not a gore fan, but nudity/fanservice/yaoi/yuri/sexual content I try to avoid. Any thoughts?
Wyntre Rose

Postby Maokun » Thu Jul 23, 2009 5:18 pm

@ Lady Kenshin: Ok let's try some really good classics, all of them are mostly clean of naughty,

Cowboy Bebop
Trigun
Magic Knights Rayearth
Slayers
Escaflowne

@Wyntre Rose: Sorry, I cannot help you as I havent seen it myself.
Maokun

Postby blkmage » Thu Jul 23, 2009 5:31 pm

@Lady Kenshin: Any more specific genre restrictions? The stuff you listed is mostly action and seinen encompasses a lot more than that. For now, I'll suggest CANAAN, which is currently airing, since it might turn out alright and seems to fit into the stuff you listed.

I'll also suggest Kara no Kyoukai. The seventh and last movie will be in theatres in Japan at the end of August, but the first five movies are fansubbed, with the sixth one due some time in the next week. And I guess I'll also throw up Kure-nai, Moyashimon, and Spice and Wolf as suggestions for you to investigate.

@Wyntre Rose: Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei is a comedy in which almost everything you can think of is parodied and made fun of. That includes stuff like Japanese societal quirks, Japanese politics, and random mundane trivialities. Of course, that also includes commentary on and parody of anime and otaku culture, of which nudity/fanservice/yaoi/yuri/sexual content are a part.
blkmage

Postby Makachop^^128 » Thu Jul 23, 2009 5:32 pm

I second Cowboy bebop ^^

Makachop^^128

Postby Lady Kenshin » Fri Jul 24, 2009 6:02 pm

@blkmage: Not really any restrictions on genre, but scary is good. I'm a bit of a masochist that way.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

It's okay to be a fanfiction author... http://www.fanfiction.net/~loveslabourswon
Lady Kenshin

Postby Maokun » Sat Jul 25, 2009 2:35 am

Scary uh? In my opinion there are not many anime that can aspire to that title. Try:

Petshop of Horrors. A bit risqué but very intriguing. Too bad it is too short.
100 Stories (or as they localized in english releases "Requiem from the Darkness", ugh). It would probably be scary if the storytelling wasn't so bad. I think it expects you to know a lot of stuff about old japanese folklore to make sense. Still, nice production values and interesting characters makes it watchable.
Boogiepop Phantom. Not so much horror as psychological thriller, but when there are so few series in this genre, you take what you can. Good head scratcher anyway.
Gakko no Kaidan (or School Ghost Stories). While the least "mature" of this list, it is the one that IMHO has more honest-to-God frightening moments. Also, a surprisingly heartwarming ending.
Maokun

Postby Sheol777 » Sat Jul 25, 2009 4:20 am

Lady Kenshin (post: 1331443) wrote:@blkmage: Not really any restrictions on genre, but scary is good. I'm a bit of a masochist that way.

Paranoia Agent
Image........... My Deep Space Nine Podcast ........... My Anime List...........
Sheol777

Postby EricTheFred » Sat Jul 25, 2009 8:10 am

It's not scare-flick scary, but 'Ghost Hunt' is a great chiller.
May the Lord bless you and keep you.
May He cause His face to shine upon you.
May He lift up His countenance and grant you peace.

Maokun: Ninjas or Pirates? (Vikings are not a valid answer, sorry)

EricTheFred: Vikings are always a valid answer.

Feel free to visit My Writing.com Portfolio

Largo: "Well Ed, good to see ya. Guess I gotta beat the crap out of you now."

Jamie Hyneman: "It's just another lovely day at the bomb range. Birds are singing, rabbits are hopping about, and soon there's going to be a big explosion."
EricTheFred

Postby S.M.O.G. » Sun Jul 26, 2009 6:27 pm

I'm back with my usual strange requests. I'm looking for an anime with a good soundtrack. Either rock/metal/anything with an electric guitar, or orchistral, or even better, both! (Think The Black Mages).
S.M.O.G.

Postby MasterDias » Sun Jul 26, 2009 7:24 pm

Yoko Kanno is the most famous anime composer probably. She's scored major series like Cowboy Bebop, Escaflowne, and Macross Plus/Frontier. Yuki Kaijura(Noir, .hack//sign, and recently Pandora Hearts) is another popular composer with some really beautiful pieces.

Youtube and the like should have examples of their soundtracks.
Their music covers multiple genres, but I don't think either composer really uses very much metal however...or would generally be as heavy as The Black Mages.

"A small stone may make a ripple at first, but someday it will be a wave." - Wiegraf - Final Fantasy Tactics
MasterDias

Postby CrimsonRyu17 » Sun Jul 26, 2009 7:56 pm

MasterDias (post: 1331988) wrote:Yuki Kaijura is another popular composer with some really beautiful pieces.

Seconded, she's amazing and my favorite composer ever. She works her magic in several different anime titles too. It's not heavy guitar music, but it is beautiful and epic at times. Here's some pretty grood examples of her work.

"Sacrifice"

"Optimistic"

"I Talk to the Rain"

My personal favorite: "Bloody Rabbit"

Any anime with her working for it is going to have an awesome soundtrack.
CrimsonRyu17

Postby S.M.O.G. » Sun Jul 26, 2009 8:15 pm

My favorate composer is Nobou Uematsu, so I was looking for somthing similar, but also wanting to try somthing new. Btw, didn't I hear somthing about him composing for an anime?
S.M.O.G.

Postby blkmage » Sun Jul 26, 2009 8:19 pm

Yuki Kajiura is amazing. I was introduced to her through Kara no Kyoukai and her work with Kalafina. The music in that series is incredible and I quickly became a fan of Kalafina. Interestingly enough, she formed Kalafina for the Kara no Kyoukai themes, but they grew so popular that they're now doing other stuff too.

Nobuo Uematsu composed the soundtrack to Guin Saga, which started airing in April. I think he also did the World Destruction soundtrack, but only for the game and not the anime.
blkmage

Postby S.M.O.G. » Sun Jul 26, 2009 8:44 pm

Wow, those were amazing! Bloody rabbit was awsome! When I was listening to I talk to the Rain I was wondering how Bloody Rabbit could top in, and once it started it blew me away! I really like it when composers combined orchistra and somthing totally oposite, like metal or techno, Like this or Advent: one Winged Angel.
S.M.O.G.

Postby MasterDias » Sun Jul 26, 2009 8:59 pm

The World Destruction game's soundtrack is Yasunori Mitsuda.
Uematsu is doing the Guin Saga anime. Hitoshi Sakimoto scored Romeo X Juliet and a few others. And some of the other VG composers have done a couple minor anime series.

I've been following Pandora Hearts. Kajiura's music really does add to the atmosphere of the series.

MasterDias

Postby Maokun » Sun Jul 26, 2009 9:19 pm

I'm not so well versed in this topic, but you might wanna try FLCL if you are looking for an amazing soundtrack.
Maokun

Postby CrimsonRyu17 » Sun Jul 26, 2009 9:26 pm

MasterDias (post: 1332007) wrote:I've been following Pandora Hearts. Kajiura's music really does add to the atmosphere of the series.

Agreed. I've watched all available eps of the series and absolutely love it. Not a series you want to be spoiled on either. I jumped on it without knowing anything about it after listening to Bloody Rabbit and watching the op and trailer.

While I can't find anything that tops Bloody Rabbit, if you like these songs and are open to Victorian-styled art and setting with a mysterious plot (that still keeps its comedy), then maybe you should check out Pandora Hearts, SMOG. It's not available in English, but there are subs on the interwebs.

"Contractor"

"Ghost Blood"

"Preparation"

Also, the OP and Trailer. I so wish I could find a full song from that trailer.
CrimsonRyu17

Previous Next

Return to Anime and Anime Reviews