What Manga are you reading?

Post about anime's sister, manga in here. Manga reviews accepted in here as well.

Postby Monkey J. Luffy » Wed Jul 15, 2009 6:34 am

I don't know if it counts due to it not being "made in Japan" but I just read Scott Pilgrim 1-5.
Those were some of the best graphic novels I've ever read.
Monkey J. Luffy

Postby -Frail-Dreams- » Thu Jul 16, 2009 11:46 am

M.C. Law 3.1

Interesting series...haha.
(\(\
(^_^)
(_(")(")
This rabbit is "Bread", he is called "Bread", because he is a bun-ny.
@)}~`,~ Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks, To All The CAA Moderators.
I love Jesus more than anything else. W00t!
I agree with Lady Kenshin, it is okay to be a fanfiction author.
-Frail-Dreams-

Postby minakichan » Fri Jul 17, 2009 4:41 pm

Bakuman 46

[spoiler]"Which is more important to you, me or manga?"
"Manga is more important."[/spoiler]

Saiko... I'm so proud of you, you made the right decision.

Ahahaha manga is such srs bsn, they can make a shounen manga out of it.
ImageImage
minakichan

Postby blkmage » Fri Jul 17, 2009 8:04 pm

minakichan (post: 1329743) wrote:Bakuman 46

[spoiler]"Which is more important to you, me or manga?"
"Manga is more important."[/spoiler]

Saiko... I'm so proud of you, you made the right decision.

Ahahaha manga is such srs bsn, they can make a shounen manga out of it.

I was trying to parse that page for a few minutes, wondering if I was missing anything and then someone explained it to me:
[spoiler]"Well, you said you'd stay here 'till I agreed not to draw right?[/spoiler]
It's cute how roundabout they are in their relationship. D'awwwww.
blkmage

Postby blkmage » Mon Jul 20, 2009 7:36 pm

I've finally taken some time to dive into 20th Century Boys. I wasn't too into the beginning, but it picked up for me around when they started trying to figure out who Friend was. Also started Mx0, which was amusing, if a bit generic.
blkmage

Postby Maokun » Tue Jul 21, 2009 3:14 pm

I've been meaning to pick up the famous 20th century boys for a while too. I consider your endorsing an encouragement to do so, blkmage.
Maokun

Postby Wyntre Rose » Fri Jul 24, 2009 5:55 pm

I've started Pluto. Wondering if not having ever seen Astro Boy is putting me at a disadvantage, or if I'm supposed to still be this in the dark by chapter 12...lol. What I am understanding so far I love, though!:thumb:
Wyntre Rose

Postby Lady Kenshin » Fri Jul 24, 2009 11:05 pm

Kuroshitsuji 30-35... T_T What a tragedy for everyone involved.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

It's okay to be a fanfiction author... http://www.fanfiction.net/~loveslabourswon
Lady Kenshin

Postby mysngoeshere56 » Sat Jul 25, 2009 2:53 pm

Picking up on D.N.Angel volume 6. Read a Sailor Moon chapter too.
-Sno
mysngoeshere56

Postby minakichan » Sun Jul 26, 2009 6:42 am

Reading Yubisaki Milk Tea (volume 4)

From Tokyopop's horrid description, I thought this was going to be some obnoxious ecchi thing where the male lead falls into multiple girls' breasts all the time. It's still pretty ecchi, but it's actually quite heartfelt and moving; I really relate to the characters and their struggles with growing up. They feel very real (and even the breasts are drawn realistically!).
ImageImage
minakichan

Postby mysngoeshere56 » Sun Jul 26, 2009 11:57 pm

Finished volume 8 of Sailor Moon..... Hard to believe I'm almost halfway through the series already.
-Sno
mysngoeshere56

Postby blkmage » Tue Jul 28, 2009 4:00 pm

Releases of Mirai Nikki have been slow lately, so 43 reminded me how great it was
[spoiler]especially now that we definitely don't have to worry about Yuki moping and waffling around now. Crazy couple is pretty awesome.[/spoiler]
blkmage

Postby mysngoeshere56 » Tue Jul 28, 2009 5:25 pm

Started Tokyo Mew Mew. I thought the anime was cute, so why not read the manga?
-Sno
mysngoeshere56

Postby Fish and Chips » Tue Jul 28, 2009 5:44 pm

Hunter x Hunter vol. 1
Kamen Rider Spirits vol. 1-3

Why can't we have more evil organizations with names like Deathtron.
Fish and Chips

Postby MasterDias » Tue Jul 28, 2009 6:33 pm

Alive - the Final Evolution vol. 3

Series started out horrorish, and is now morphing into action.
-----------------------------------------
"Always seek to do good to one another and to all."
1 Thessalonians 5:15

"Every story must have an ending." - Auron - Final Fantasy X

"A small stone may make a ripple at first, but someday it will be a wave." - Wiegraf - Final Fantasy Tactics
MasterDias

Postby blkmage » Tue Jul 28, 2009 7:23 pm

I found the ending of 20th Century Boys to be kind of underwhelming, especially considering how fantastic the rest of it was. Please tell me 21st Century Boys fixes this.
blkmage

Postby minakichan » Tue Jul 28, 2009 8:25 pm

I found the ending of 20th Century Boys to be kind of underwhelming, especially considering how fantastic the rest of it was. Please tell me 21st Century Boys fixes this.

Sorry?

No satisfaction here, would you like a raincheck?
ImageImage
minakichan

Postby uc pseudonym » Wed Jul 29, 2009 12:52 pm

Akumetsu

The flashback segment was actually pretty interesting, and should have come 80 chapters earlier at the expense of endless justice arcs. Now that it's over we'll have to see if the rest of the series develops this any.

Dragon Quest: Adventure of Dai

Somewhat of a classic shonen, so I've been reading it for a while. Now it's nearing the end and I finally mention it.

blkmage wrote:Releases of Mirai Nikki have been slow lately, so 43 reminded me how great it was

The Deus McGuffin was also pretty interesting. I've been interested in the ending of this series for a long while now.

blkmage wrote:I found the ending of 20th Century Boys to be kind of underwhelming, especially considering how fantastic the rest of it was. Please tell me 21st Century Boys fixes this.

I wouldn't say it's the most incredible ending ever, but it is a different kind of tea than the point where 20thCB stopped, so it may be more to your liking.
uc pseudonym

Postby blkmage » Wed Jul 29, 2009 7:06 pm

21st Century Boys ended much better - so much better that it puzzles me as to why this was another series.

So, Team Medical Dragon is pretty awesome. I started reading Saijou no Meii a while ago and scanlations for that dried up pretty quickly. Everyone was saying how Saijou no Meii was pretty much Team Medical Dragon and they were right. Thankfully, I've got Team Medical Dragon to fill my medical drama manga needs and it looks like scans might be picking up again.
blkmage

Postby Fish and Chips » Wed Jul 29, 2009 7:07 pm

Hunter x Hunter vol. 2-3
Vagabond vol. 10-12

I'm actually enjoying HxH a lot more than I thought I would, though it disturbs me to think Yoshihiro Togashi's work ethic makes Kentaro Miura look prolific.
blkmage (post: 1333047) wrote:21st Century Boys ended much better - so much better that it puzzles me as to why this was another series.
It's not so much another series as a "Clever" naming convention that got taken the wrong way.
Fish and Chips

Postby -Frail-Dreams- » Fri Jul 31, 2009 8:51 am

I just finished Doubt, it was well drawn, and the storyline/plot was incredible. The gore wasn't too horrible, there was some though. But, it was very much a "psychological" manga.
(\(\
(^_^)
(_(")(")
This rabbit is "Bread", he is called "Bread", because he is a bun-ny.
@)}~`,~ Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks, To All The CAA Moderators.
I love Jesus more than anything else. W00t!
I agree with Lady Kenshin, it is okay to be a fanfiction author.
-Frail-Dreams-

Postby blkmage » Tue Aug 04, 2009 6:02 am

Fish and Chips (post: 1333048) wrote:Hunter x Hunter vol. 2-3
Vagabond vol. 10-12

I'm actually enjoying HxH a lot more than I thought I would, though it disturbs me to think Yoshihiro Togashi's work ethic makes Kentaro Miura look prolific.It's not so much another series as a "Clever" naming convention that got taken the wrong way.

Too clever. That makes so much sense now.

Team Medical Dragon is fantastic. Cross Game is back from hiatus. Saikano is depressing.
blkmage

Postby Fish and Chips » Tue Aug 04, 2009 10:18 am

Steel Ball Run vol. 9

Stuff goes down.
blkmage (post: 1335666) wrote:Too clever. That makes so much sense now.
It doesn't help that MAL and every other Manga cataloging site is like, "HUR HUR let's list them as separate series."
Fish and Chips

Postby blkmage » Wed Aug 05, 2009 6:00 am

Given how depressing the entirety of Saikano was, I was expecting a pretty depressing ending. It's not quite what I expected and it was a bit LOL WUT, but I guess it's not that much of a leap considering the premise of the manga. It's also amazing how this manages to oscillate between "this is so cute d'awwww" to "THIS IS SO DEPRESSING I WANT TO KILL MYSELF".
blkmage

Postby minakichan » Wed Aug 05, 2009 7:48 am

Fairy Tail 143-146.

Proving yet again that Stellar Spirit Mages are U S E L E S S.

Also $10 says a certain someone isn't actually dead.
ImageImage
minakichan

Postby uc pseudonym » Wed Aug 05, 2009 12:13 pm

minakichan wrote:Also $10 says a certain someone isn't actually dead.

Do you mean... that man?

blkmage wrote:Team Medical Dragon is fantastic.

I've been meaning to say it's interesting to know someone else is following this. Though I'm not a huge fan of how it covers the medical surgeries and such, I'm all for more of the hospital politics and reform efforts.
uc pseudonym

Postby Song_of_Storms » Wed Aug 12, 2009 8:00 pm

[SIZE="1"]Magical JxR vol. 3

Yet more awesomeness from Lee Sun-Young. This volume has a wonderful Father/Son story... I'm a wimp, so I cried. ;~; [/SIZE]
ImageImage ImageImageImage
Song_of_Storms

Postby blkmage » Wed Aug 12, 2009 8:49 pm

I'm rolling through Bokurano and NANA right now. I'm finding Bokurano's series of short stories focusing on each character to be pretty interesting. I was wondering how they'd be able to develop 15 characters, and well, now I know. NANA seems like it'll be a pile of miserable (for the characters, at least; I don't know if it'll be miserable for the reader yet) drama. I might have gotten the wrong impression about the length of the series, but it seems like it's been serialized for a while and I'm wondering just how much drama they could possibly put into a series for that long.
blkmage

Postby ich1990 » Wed Aug 12, 2009 10:38 pm

Hunter x Hunter volumes 1-2

HxH seems to be of very high quality. The characters are interesting, the fighting is thoughtful and strategic, and the storyline makes up for its generic premise by being well planned and executed. Unfortunately, the dismemberment level is little high for my tastes.

Teppu chapters 1-4

Seems to be stereotypical sports/fighting manga. It was listed as Seinen, but based on the first four chapters it seems to be more accurately described as Shounen.

Psyren recent chapters

An increasing amount of fanservice is making its way into this series, which is quite a pity considering the first half dozen volumes were clean enough to recommend to almost anybody. Still, the plot is still chugging onward at a brisk pace, which is something that one truly appreciates after reading Bleach.

20th Century Boys volumes 3-22
21st Century Boys volumes 1-2

This is the best manga I have ever read. Here are a few reasons why:

1) The narrative structure is in medias res on drugs. There are flashbacks, flashforwards, and multiple linear narratives all mixing together in a crazy fashion. It is not unusual for there to be several time jumps each chapter. Heck, sometimes there are several time jumps on a single page. What is most amazing about this is that barring the first two volumes (it took me a bit to try to get all the different plot lines and relationships sorted out in my head) the story is easy to follow and makes complete sense. Further, this sort of hopscotch timeline allows an incredible amount of mystery and drama to be squeezed from relatively few events, some of which are revisited multiple times from multiple perspectives, each going a small way towards unraveling the story. From a writing standpoint, 20th CB is pure genius.

2) All of the main characters and most of the side characters are awesome. I do not know if I have seen a manga series with so many likable characters in it. The stand out, though, is Shogun, if you read the series you will know why. Also, thanks to the wonderful narration style, the reader is able to watch these characters develop over decades, rather than a few months or years. Thus, 20th CB succeeds not only as a "coming of age story" but also a "coming of old age story".

3) The villains were superb. In my opinion, Friend has even Monster beat when it comes to pure creepiness, especially later in the series.

4) The plot may seem to be a simple premise of "childhood fantasy becomes reality" but it becomes much, much more as the series progresses. The science fiction elements are done quite tastefully as well; rather outlandish things like laser guns and giant mechs are incorporated, but in a way that is, well, rather believable.

5) The art was incredible. It is very refreshing to see mostly ugly people, you know, just like in real life.

If I had one complaint about the manga, it would be the nudity. Considering that almost all the violence and gory deaths were off-screen or otherwise had their offensiveness mitigated, that the the sexual content was limited to a few references scattered throughout the series, and that the language was fairly tame (at least in the translation I read), the level of nudity was surprising high and did a lot to hurt my ability to recommend this manga to others. If a handful of frames had been left out of the series, this would be the perfect "first manga" to give to new readers. As it stands, this is the closest thing to a perfect series that I have ever read and is highly recommended, if you can get past the content.
Where an Eidolon, named night, on a black throne reigns upright.
ich1990

Postby Htom Sirveaux » Fri Aug 14, 2009 7:28 pm

Finally finished reading Monster.

[spoiler]I wasn't too crazy about that last page. What can I say, I'm not a big fan of "Dun-dun-DAAAAAAH!" endings. Anyways, you'd think someone who was wanted for serial murder would have a few security guards in his hospital room.[/spoiler]

Overall though, it was an excellent series and well worth the time and effort put into buying and reading all 18 volumes.

I have the first 3 volumes of 20th Century Boys, but I should use a manga site for the rest to save some dough.

Anyways, next I'm re-reading Trigun & Trigun Maximum, so I can get the last 2 volumes and finish the series.
If this post seems too utterly absurd or ridiculous to be taken seriously, don't. :)
Htom Sirveaux

Previous Next

Return to Manga and Manga Reviews