J-rock and J-pop

For all the music-lovers out there, this is your place to swap lyrics, talk about new bands and jazz about concerts. All things related to the audio world belong here.

J-rock and J-pop

Postby Dr.Faust » Sat Apr 18, 2009 4:28 pm

this form is made to talck about j-rock and j-pop.this was thought of by Tommy so give him a round of applose:thumb:.
Dr.Faust

Postby airichan623 » Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:39 pm

anybody luv buono! ? i cant wait for their new EP- My Boy. they are amaaaayzing!!

[color="Magenta"][SIZE="4"]愛理ちゃん六二三[/SIZE][/color]

DeviantArt[color="DeepSkyBlue"]~[/color]MAL[color="DeepSkyBlue"]~[/color]Tumblr
airichan623

Postby FnlFntsyYuna » Tue May 12, 2009 8:54 pm

I like J-Pop more then J-Rock. And I'm also getting more into K-Pop (Korean Pop) more then J-Pop. I love Pop music and I have to say that Japanese & Korean have the best foregin pop music!!!^___^
FnlFntsyYuna

Postby blkmage » Sat May 23, 2009 10:45 am

Since this is a recent thread, I guess I'll just co-opt it and ask for recommendations.

Recently, I'd been listening to the Japanator Radio podcast and picked up some new artists. I'm here to look for more Japanese music. I guess I'll describe the kind of stuff I'm looking for:

Stuff that I might like, but haven't checked out yet, someone give an opinion:
Denki Groove
NIRGILIS
FictionJunction

Stuff that I recently picked up and enjoyed:
school food punishment
POLYSICS
abingdon boys school
Kalafina
marble
Boom Boom Satellites
eufonius

Stuff that I know I like and have liked for a while:
ASIAN KUNG-FU GENERATION
supercell feat. Hatsune Miku
UVERworld
YUI
Utada Hikaru

Stuff that I sometimes like, it depends on the song/album:
tommy heavenly6 / the brilliant green
HIGH and MIGHTY COLOR
L'Arc~en~Ciel
FLOW
t.m. revolution

Stuff that I know I don't like, no really, don't suggest it to me unless you have a really convincing reason:
BoA
Ayumi Hamasaki
Orange Range
Gackt
MAXIMUM THE HORMONE
blkmage

Postby yukoxholic » Sun May 24, 2009 4:28 pm

blkmage (post: 1314146) wrote:Since this is a recent thread, I guess I'll just co-opt it and ask for recommendations.

Recently, I'd been listening to the Japanator Radio podcast and picked up some new artists. I'm here to look for more Japanese music. I guess I'll describe the kind of stuff I'm looking for:

Stuff that I might like, but haven't checked out yet, someone give an opinion:
Denki Groove
NIRGILIS
FictionJunction

Stuff that I recently picked up and enjoyed:
school food punishment
POLYSICS
abingdon boys school
Kalafina
marble
Boom Boom Satellites
eufonius

Stuff that I know I like and have liked for a while:
ASIAN KUNG-FU GENERATION
supercell feat. Hatsune Miku
UVERworld
YUI
Utada Hikaru

Stuff that I sometimes like, it depends on the song/album:
tommy heavenly6 / the brilliant green
HIGH and MIGHTY COLOR
L'Arc~en~Ciel
FLOW
t.m. revolution

Stuff that I know I don't like, no really, don't suggest it to me unless you have a really convincing reason:
BoA
Ayumi Hamasaki
Orange Range
Gackt
MAXIMUM THE HORMONE

You should check out Home Made Kazoku, Snowkel, Shocking Lemon (they're really had to find), Do As Infinity, Yuna Ito, Round Table, Iku, and Mami Kawada. You may like Melody but she's very much "ballad" based. I could probably think of a dozen more but for now that is all that comes to mind. I also think "Puffy" (aka Puffy AmiYumi) is a staple in everyone's collection. :D Hope this helps!
yukoxholic

Postby blkmage » Mon May 25, 2009 6:49 am

Thanks for the suggestions.

I'd just like to mention that I am absolutely in love with school food punishment. Right now, they're pretty much everything I've wanted: great female vocals, fancy bass and piano lines, interesting electronica in the background, and the ability to put out both unique high energy tracks and slower, softer songs. I think they're only recently getting more attention because their first single, futuristic imagination, is the ED for Eden of the East.
blkmage

Postby Amzi Live » Mon May 25, 2009 7:49 am

Abingdon Boys School- have a really neat sound. I especially like them because they've managed to incorporate a music programmer/DJ to their lineup.

ASIAN KUNG-FU GENERATION- of course have always been awesome.

Veltpunch-I seriously think that these guys are way underrated. The female singer actually sings like a girl (lol),and the male vocal actually plays his guitar while singing. I mean...Do you know how hard that is!!!!?
LOL but with that aside their music is just pretty neat.

blkmage (post: 1314583) wrote:Thanks for the suggestions.

I'd just like to mention that I am absolutely in love with school food punishment. Right now, they're pretty much everything I've wanted: great female vocals, fancy bass and piano lines, interesting electronica in the background, and the ability to put out both unique high energy tracks and slower, softer songs. I think they're only recently getting more attention because their first single, futuristic imagination, is the ED for Eden of the East.

Awesome band as well. ^^
[font="Arial Narrow"] Teach me thy way, O LORD; I will walk in thy truth: unite my heart to fear thy name. Psalm86:11[/font]
Proud lurker? Join MOES,and help us stay cool.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Amzi Live

Postby Hana Ryuuzaki » Mon May 25, 2009 1:17 pm

[font="palatino Linotype"]I'm a big fan of J-Rock, K-Rock, and both of the Kei's ((Oshare and Visual)).

Versailles, Kanon Wakeshima, AnCafe ((I <3 Bou~)), Yousei Teikoku, D'espairsray, Super Junior, and NOVASONIC are my favourite bands, prolly. I think there's more, but I can't remember right off the top o' mah head. xDDD[/font]
[SIGPIC]http://christiananime.net/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=9906&dateline=1214542817[/SIGPIC]
[SIZE="1"][color="Plum"]WHY GOD MADE J-ROCK: Kamijo[/color][/SIZE]
[color="LightBlue"][SIZE="3"][font="Century Gothic"]Crucify My Love, If My Love Is Blind...[/SIZE][/color][/font]
Hana Ryuuzaki

Postby FnlFntsyYuna » Wed May 27, 2009 6:49 pm

Hana Ryuuzaki (post: 1314615) wrote:[font="palatino Linotype"]I'm a big fan of J-Rock, K-Rock, and both of the Kei's ((Oshare and Visual)).

Versailles, Kanon Wakeshima, AnCafe ((I <3 Bou~)), Yousei Teikoku, D'espairsray, Super Junior, and NOVASONIC are my favourite bands, prolly. I think there's more, but I can't remember right off the top o' mah head. xDDD[/font]

I LOVE Super Junior!!:jump:^__^ the only K-Rock I know of is T-Rex, and thats only because DBSK sang with them and that there under SM. Most of the korean music I listen to is from SM. :thumb:
FnlFntsyYuna

Postby ADXC » Wed May 27, 2009 7:05 pm

Recently I went to Animazement( An anime convention) and heard the J-rock band NOIZ. They were really good! I was even able to buy one of their CDs(Which was limited in stock.) in the Dealer's Room. I have enjoyed listening to it.
ADXC

Postby Htom Sirveaux » Wed May 27, 2009 7:12 pm

Peelander-Z. It's "Japanese Action Comic Punk." Those guys are hilarious and just plain awesome.
If this post seems too utterly absurd or ridiculous to be taken seriously, don't. :)
Htom Sirveaux

Postby Blitzkrieg1701 » Thu May 28, 2009 8:46 am

I caught some of Peelander-Z's set at AUSA last year. FUn stuff, though they're WAY better live than on CD.

Also, can I state my amazement that no one has mentioned the pillows yet?
Image Image

[font="Book Antiqua"][color="Purple"]For the love of Christ controls us, having concluded this: that one died for all, therefore all died; and he that died for all, so that they who live might no longer live for themselves, but for Him who died and rose again on their behalf. II Corinthians 5:14-15[/color][/font]
Blitzkrieg1701

Location: Washington, DC (when I'm not in an alternate universe)

Postby GreenKnightFuu » Thu May 28, 2009 10:02 pm

I got into j-pop not that long ago thanks to Puffy AmiYumi (called Puffy in Japan; they had to change their name here to avoid legal conflicts with Puff Daddy), who caught my attention through their performance of the Teen Titans theme song. Then I got into their song "Hi Hi," the theme song to the animated show Hi Hi Puffy AmiYumi. Then I listened to more of their stuff, and now I'm a big fan.

I am also a big fan of the band Do as Infinity. I'm not sure how I got into them, I think it was through some song they did for the anime Inuyasha (the opening and ending songs for that anime are a great intro to j-pop, since they feature many well-known bands).

Lastly, I am a big fan of Kawabe Chieco. I became familiar with her when her song "Sakura Kiss" began getting passed around a lot of Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon (a.k.a. "Sailor Moon Live Action") fansites (since Chieco-chan played Naru in that series). I found a site with mp3's of her other songs, and I found I liked her stuff a lot.

Other than this, I have found some good j-pop on iTunes. Also even browsing Wikipedia's list of j-pop/j-rock artists is useful. I also have a couple j-pop songs that were used in video games: "Starry Heavens" by day after tomorrow (from Tales of Symphonia, one of my favorite GameCube games) and "Hikari" by Utada Hikaru (from Kingdom Hearts, a game I have not played but I have heard of).

To yukoxholic: Utada Hikaru is good, I hear. I noticed Ayumi Hamasaki is on your "don't like" list. I have listened to some of her songs, and they aren't bad. But tastes differ, of course. The band Every Little Thing (which I discovered through an "iTunes Essentials" album) is good too.
Reneé
CLAMP Fanatic
GreenKnightFuu

Postby yukoxholic » Sat May 30, 2009 6:23 pm

I love Korean/Chinese pop/rock music. Misty Blue and Epik High are my favorites along with F.I.R. *__* Plus, Korean boy bands are FTW.

Anyone else love Hello Project groups? :D

Blitzkrieg1701 (post: 1315157) wrote:I caught some of Peelander-Z's set at AUSA last year. FUn stuff, though they're WAY better live than on CD.

Also, can I state my amazement that no one has mentioned the pillows yet?

For some reason I cannot get into Peelander-Z but to each his/her own! ^_^ I love the pillows though and own all of their CDs. XD They're right up there with Asian Kung-fu Generation, Flow, and GLAY. :3

Hana Ryuuzaki (post: 1314615) wrote:[font="palatino Linotype"]I'm a big fan of J-Rock, K-Rock, and both of the Kei's ((Oshare and Visual)).

I've always thought you've had wonderful taste in music Hana-chan! Oh, and if you like Oshare Daizystripper is right up your ally!
yukoxholic

Postby Hana Ryuuzaki » Sat May 30, 2009 8:36 pm

yukoxholic (post: 1315714) wrote:I love Korean/Chinese pop/rock music. Misty Blue and Epik High are my favorites along with F.I.R. *__* Plus, Korean boy bands are FTW.

[font="Palatino Linotype"]BUONO!!! XDD[/font]

yukoxholic (post: 1315714) wrote:I've always thought you've had wonderful taste in music Hana-chan! Oh, and if you like Oshare Daizystripper is right up your ally!

[font="Palatino Linotype"]Ahhhh, okay then. I'll have to listen to them ASAP. ][/font]
[SIGPIC]http://christiananime.net/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=9906&dateline=1214542817[/SIGPIC]
[color="LightBlue"][SIZE="3"][font="Century Gothic"]Crucify My Love, If My Love Is Blind...[/SIZE][/color][/font]
Hana Ryuuzaki

Postby yukoxholic » Sun May 31, 2009 8:31 am

GreenKnightFuu (post: 1315311) wrote:I got into j-pop not that long ago thanks to Puffy AmiYumi (called Puffy in Japan]Teen Titans[/I] theme song. Then I got into their song "Hi Hi," the theme song to the animated show Hi Hi Puffy AmiYumi. Then I listened to more of their stuff, and now I'm a big fan.

I am also a big fan of the band Do as Infinity. I'm not sure how I got into them, I think it was through some song they did for the anime Inuyasha (the opening and ending songs for that anime are a great intro to j-pop, since they feature many well-known bands).

To yukoxholic: Utada Hikaru is good, I hear. I noticed Ayumi Hamasaki is on your "don't like" list. I have listened to some of her songs, and they aren't bad. But tastes differ, of course. The band Every Little Thing (which I discovered through an "iTunes Essentials" album) is good too.

O__O I said I disliked Ayumi Hamasaki? I must've been out of mind then because I do love Ms. Hamasaki. It's true that sometimes her voice can get a little annoying but overall she's just as much a pop princess as Koda Kumi and Utada! The song: "No More Words" from Inuyasha is still to date my all time favorite Ayumi Hamasaki song along with countless others!

Have you checked out Tomiko Van's solo debut? It's a little different from DAI but her vocals are very much on par and the change of music is refreshing. :)

I love Every Little Thing they remind of the Indigo! You may like day after tomorrow another j-pop band except the lead singer is Koda Kumi's little sister Misono. ^_^ Too bad they're on hiatus now. >_>;

Hana Ryuuzaki (post: 1315738) wrote:[font="Palatino Linotype"]BUONO!!! XDD[/font]

I don't believe there is one H!P group I don't like. :3 Buono! is so cute! ^_^ Their song in Shugo Chara I cannot get enough of. I also love Berryz Kobo, C-ute, and KiraPika. Not to mention the many sub-groups of Morning Musume. :3

Have you heard about the auditions starting in different countries? Korea and Taiwan are all hooked on the H!P craze. It'll be interesting to see who they chose for those groups. Morning Musume already took a big step in advancing their girl-group by adding a Chinese member and I also believe a Korean member. ^_^ Eee! I'm so happy. *__*

The only thing I cannot stand by the creation of many different girl groups is the fact that most only cycle for a year at best (2 if they're lucky.) or they disband all together (RIP v-u-den!). Plus, it's also a lot of CDs to buy if you keep up with it. x_x
yukoxholic

Postby Hana Ryuuzaki » Sun May 31, 2009 10:35 am

[font="palatino Linotype"]True...

And, lol, I can't believe I didn't know that Koharu Kusumi was in H!P and MM. xD;;;
*shows how misinformed I am*
Ahahhhah~[/font]

" wrote:Lastly, I am a big fan of Kawabe Chieco. I became familiar with her when her song "Sakura Kiss" began getting passed around a lot of Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon (a.k.a. "Sailor Moon Live Action") fansites (since Chieco-chan played Naru in that series). I found a site with mp3's of her other songs, and I found I liked her stuff a lot.

[font="palatino Linotype"]Oooooh, Chieco-chan is a really really good artist. Her voice is <3~

OH THAT REMINDS ME (for some odd reason).

Anyone else like Yumi Kawamura and Shoji Meguro?
They're kind of... eh.. different. And more known for their game OSTs, but they're really really good.
If you've ever played Persona 3 or Persona 4, you should know who Yumi-chan is.
She's the woman that sings Burn My Dread, and most of the other songs on both OSTs.[/font]
Hana Ryuuzaki

Postby FnlFntsyYuna » Tue Jun 02, 2009 11:51 pm

yukoxholic (post: 1315714) wrote:I love Korean/Chinese pop/rock music. Misty Blue and Epik High are my favorites along with F.I.R. *__* Plus, Korean boy bands are FTW.

I love Korean music!!^^ and a friend of mine is getting me into some Chinese songs. I'm not to much into rock music but there are times when I like a rock song. I'm more of the Pop kind. ;P I love Korean boy bands and most of my asian artist are korean boy bands lolz. Love Epik High!! ^0^ :rock: you have good teast in music yukoxholic :jump:
FnlFntsyYuna

Postby yukoxholic » Sun Jun 07, 2009 4:47 pm

[quote="FnlFntsyYuna (post: 1316413)"]I love Korean music!!^^ and a friend of mine is getting me into some Chinese songs. I'm not to much into rock music but there are times when I like a rock song. I'm more of the Pop kind. ]

I love pop music. It is a constant staple in my collection. ^_^ Epik High is my all time favorite k-duo. Love Love Love is always playing on my mp3 player (along with various other songs from Epik!). I just can’t get enough of them! I also love Ivy, SHINee, F.T. Island, Fly to the Sky, Se7en, Wheesung, Jewelry, The Grace, Wonder Girls, TVXQ, DBSK(<3!!), Jun Jin, and the list could keep going on and on and on. XD

Chinese music took a little getting used to for me at first but Jay Chou is magnificent. If you haven’t heard of him definitely check him out! My only problem with C-pop is the other differentiations: canto pop, mandopop, and Taiwanese pop. They each have their own distinct sound (well, durr! XD)and sometimes it’s hard to distinguish one from the other since their dialect is closely linked though once you get used to hearing the different styles you can decipher which goes in what category! Stefanie Sun, Lin Jun Jie, Wang Lee Hom, S.H.E, Fahrenheit, Lollipop, Elva Hsiao, Faye Wong, Kelly Chen, Twins, Cookies (R.I.P! ;__;), at17, etc, etc, etc!

Thanks so much! Your musical tastes are just as wonderful! :D As my motto always goes: You can never have too much foreign music! ^__^
yukoxholic

Postby blkmage » Mon Jul 06, 2009 7:28 pm

So after a bit of searching, I managed to come out with a few new bands that I ended up really loving.

9mm Parabellum Bullet feels like a more intense and frenetic Asian Kung-fu Generation. Mass of the Fermenting Dregs is a female rock band that's not cute or hard, but somewhere in the happy medium that I like. Rin Toshite Shigure fits in with these other two bands, but they have both a male and female vocalist, both of whom sing much higher than they should, making for something interesting.
blkmage

Return to Jam Session