What Manga are you reading?

Post about anime's sister, manga in here. Manga reviews accepted in here as well.

Postby blkmage » Tue May 19, 2009 8:12 pm

minakichan (post: 1313061) wrote:YES.

YOU ARE AWESOME.

LIAR GAME IS AWESOME.

And Nao becomes awesome x 100000 =w= I used to hate her, but yes, she gets better.

Okay, so she does get better, and enough that I kind of like her now too. I don't know if she qualifies for awesome territory quite yet though.
blkmage

Postby Cognitive Gear » Wed May 20, 2009 11:27 am

I am reading my freshly obtained 20th Centrury Boys Vol 1 & 2.

I am so happy to finally have my physical hands on these.
[font="Tahoma"][SIZE="2"]"It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things."

-Terry Pratchett[/SIZE][/font]
Cognitive Gear

Postby blkmage » Thu May 21, 2009 6:03 am

Not exactly manga, but I associate light novels with manga anyway. I decided to grab the first official volume of the Haruhi light novels (The Melancholy of Suzumiya Haruhi) by Yen Press since I needed to get up to $40 for free shipping from Amazon when I was buying textbooks. I wouldn't have minded the cover change as much if they didn't have the original covers for the hardcover versions. The art inside is the same.

I'd read the fan-translation on Baka-Tsuki and I'd say it's pretty comparable. I found the fan translation had some weird parts where I couldn't tell if Kyon was actually talking audibly or not and the official translation doesn't seem to have those. There are a few little spots here and there where I thought the fan translation worded it better, but I guess that's inevitable when comparing two translations.

I think I'll be picking up more volumes of this when they come out and I think I'll be giving a shot at other light novels as well. I'm probably going to be checking out the first volume of Spice and Wolf that comes out at the end of this year and Kara no Kyoukai whenever it gets released this year.
blkmage

Postby RFC » Thu May 21, 2009 11:10 am

I just finished reading the 18th volume of Black Cat.
Oh, and the second novel form of Fullmetal Alchemist. ;)
[color="Plum"]Jesus Freak Forever!![/color]
Proud creator of the Fakir Girls! (To visit our forum: click on the banner)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[color="Pink"]@)[/color][color="SeaGreen"]}~`,~[/color] [color="Plum"]Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks, To All The CAA Moderators[/color]
"MOES:You gotta know when to hold it, know when you've scrolled it."
[color="PaleGreen"]Con List: Anime L.A. 2008, Saboten Con 2009, Con-Nichiwa 2010[/color]
RFC

Postby mysngoeshere56 » Thu May 21, 2009 6:47 pm

Got through Sailor Moon volume 6.
-Sno
mysngoeshere56

Postby ST. Attidude » Fri May 22, 2009 12:22 am

mysngoeshere56 (post: 1312099) wrote:I just finished Magic Knight Rayearth I.

That's an interesting first volume.
[color="Magenta"]@[/color][color="Red"])}[/color][color="DarkGreen"]~[/color][color="Green"]`,[/color][color="Lime"]~[/color] [color="LightBlue"]Carry This Rose In Your Sig, [color="Red"]As Thanks,[/color] [color="LightBlue"]To All The CAA Moderators[/color][/color]
______
[color="Navy"]ST[/color][color="Blue"].[/color][color="RoyalBlue"] Attidude's[/color][color="DeepSkyBlue"].[/color][color="LightBlue"].[/color].Portfolio Site, Twitter,
DeviantArt page
ST. Attidude

Postby ST. Attidude » Fri May 22, 2009 12:24 am

Phantom_Sorano (post: 1312710) wrote:Maison Ikkoku volume 6.

Wonderful and comedic as always....I just wish I could find the next volume!

I love that series :)
[color="Magenta"]@[/color][color="Red"])}[/color][color="DarkGreen"]~[/color][color="Green"]`,[/color][color="Lime"]~[/color] [color="LightBlue"]Carry This Rose In Your Sig, [color="Red"]As Thanks,[/color] [color="LightBlue"]To All The CAA Moderators[/color][/color]
______
[color="Navy"]ST[/color][color="Blue"].[/color][color="RoyalBlue"] Attidude's[/color][color="DeepSkyBlue"].[/color][color="LightBlue"].[/color].Portfolio Site, Twitter,
DeviantArt page
ST. Attidude

Postby Amzi Live » Fri May 22, 2009 6:30 am

AHHH!!!!
Read the first chapter of Beelzebub.
O.O
the first chapter left me ROTFL. Guaranteed LoL per page.
[font="Arial Narrow"] Teach me thy way, O LORD; I will walk in thy truth: unite my heart to fear thy name. Psalm86:11[/font]
Proud lurker? Join MOES,and help us stay cool.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Amzi Live

Postby Neko-Hime » Fri May 22, 2009 7:00 am

Just read Tsubasa volumes 17, 18, 19, and 20. Took me two days. I can usually finish a manga in 45 minutes, but these took me 1 hour plus!
The manga is more depressing than the anime. -_-
Neko-Hime

Postby mysngoeshere56 » Fri May 22, 2009 2:57 pm

Read the first volume of Mermaid Melody Pichi Pichi Pitch last night. I figured it'd be a short, quick, and fluffy read. After this I might try to find something more my style...
-Sno
mysngoeshere56

Postby blkmage » Sat May 23, 2009 2:00 pm

I started reading Saijou no Meii and I'm surprised it's not being scanlated regularly. It's by the mangaka who did Yakitate Japan. Essentially, this is Yakitate Japan, but with doctors and surgery instead of baking and bread.
blkmage

Postby blkmage » Tue May 26, 2009 6:36 am

So no one's been reading anything? I've started Beck and I was surprised to find that it does 60 page chapters. Most of the manga I've seen that are serialized monthly are only 40 pages. Anyway, it looks promising, even though the art is kind of weird at times.
blkmage

Postby -Frail-Dreams- » Tue May 26, 2009 9:39 am

Dolls chapter 10.
(\(\
(^_^)
(_(")(")
This rabbit is "Bread", he is called "Bread", because he is a bun-ny.
@)}~`,~ Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks, To All The CAA Moderators.
I love Jesus more than anything else. W00t!
I agree with Lady Kenshin, it is okay to be a fanfiction author.
-Frail-Dreams-

Postby uc pseudonym » Tue May 26, 2009 2:17 pm

blkmage wrote:So no one's been reading anything?

For me it's that I've finally reached the number of currently running series that occupies as much of my time as will balance with the rest of my life. Since I'm not starting much new, I rarely post here anymore.

But I'm here for one of the infrequently discussed running series: I assume the usual people are still following Fairy Tail? Concerning 136:
[spoiler]Everyone is Gerard. Don't think I just mean the characters with unknown identities. Lucy and Natsu are both Gerard. The mysterious evil sorcerer everyone wants to revive is Gerard. When Igneel is finally found, he will be Gerard. Happy isn't, but his egg was laid by Gerard.

I realize this is just bringing back the actual Gerard, but that is not going to stop me from adopting this crack theory about everything in Fairy Tail. Everything.[/spoiler]
uc pseudonym

Postby minakichan » Tue May 26, 2009 3:43 pm

To: uc
Re: Fairy Tail 136

Yes.

>______>;
ImageImage
minakichan

Postby mysngoeshere56 » Tue May 26, 2009 4:17 pm

.hack//Legend of the Twilight, volume 2. It's been awhile since I've continued this series.
-Sno
mysngoeshere56

Postby Fish and Chips » Tue May 26, 2009 5:04 pm

The Lives of Eccentrics vol. 1 COMPLETE

I-I really don't know what to think of this. Kind of funny though, that the one time Hirohiko Araki successfully out-weirds me is when he's doing stuff "Based on a true story."
Fish and Chips

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Tue May 26, 2009 6:16 pm

Monster - Volume 15.
Just about to start the next one.
What a brilliant series!
(I can't wait for Volume 18 to come out in Australia).
Warrior 4 Jesus

Postby everdred12a » Tue May 26, 2009 9:53 pm

Just finished the first chapter release of Sacred Blacksmith. Nice art, looks promising.

everdred12a

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Wed May 27, 2009 12:54 am

Just finished Monster - Volume 16. Now onto Volume 17.

(Is 20th Century Boys any good? If so, what's the gist of the series? I'm curious. Thanks)
Warrior 4 Jesus

Postby blkmage » Thu May 28, 2009 8:19 pm

Beck was pretty fantastic. It delivered what I expected: great characters and plot, the band being thwarted at every turn, and an awkward but cute romance. I'm happy that the anime seems to end at an appropriate place in the manga and good enough to be standalone. The later development in the manga is really good too and ends well.
blkmage

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Thu May 28, 2009 8:26 pm

Finished Monster - Volume 17. Have to wait for Volume 18 to come to Australia. The wait is going to be murder. How appropriate (lol).
Warrior 4 Jesus

Postby GreenKnightFuu » Thu May 28, 2009 9:46 pm

I am mostly reading CLAMP's two latest series - Tsubasa: RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and xxxHolic - right now, and I just bought and read the latest volumes of those series: volumes 20 and 21 of Tsubasa and volume 13 of xxxHolic.

I also bought volume 19 of Tsubasa, only to realize I already had it.

I am in the process of "collecting" other series, but volumes for those haven't been as easy to come by at the bookstore. (I also gave away some of my manga that I didn't want anymore to the Accio Books book drive put on by the Harry Potter Alliance). I may be forced to order some online or wait till Comic-Con in July, when I may be able to get some.
Reneé
CLAMP Fanatic
GreenKnightFuu

Postby -Frail-Dreams- » Fri Jun 05, 2009 8:31 am

Just finished Naruto 450. It was...disappointing...
(\(\
(^_^)
(_(")(")
This rabbit is "Bread", he is called "Bread", because he is a bun-ny.
@)}~`,~ Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks, To All The CAA Moderators.
I love Jesus more than anything else. W00t!
I agree with Lady Kenshin, it is okay to be a fanfiction author.
-Frail-Dreams-

Postby ich1990 » Fri Jun 05, 2009 8:56 pm

Monster volume 15

I am not sure why it is taking me so long to read this series, but I am enjoying it nonetheless.
Where an Eidolon, named night, on a black throne reigns upright.
ich1990

Postby Wyntre Rose » Sun Jun 07, 2009 4:21 pm

Absolutely OD'd on CLAMP this weekend! Read 221 chapters of Tsubasa: Reservoir Chronicle and 182 chapters of xxxHolic. In other words, my eyes hate me right now...lol. :wow!:

The anime for both is what sucked me in - I'd liked TRC for a while now, but I never expected to like xxxHolic at all - the occult elements I'd heard about kept me away - but I find that I like it a lot! CLAMP's stuff doesn't always end on a happy note, so I know that I could be setting myself up for a terrible heartbreak...but I'm really looking forward to where they take the characters from here on in!
Wyntre Rose

Postby mysngoeshere56 » Mon Jun 08, 2009 1:25 am

Finished the second volume of .hack//Legend of the Twilight. Now working my way through volume 4 of Fruits Basket and volume 2 of Vampire Knight.
-Sno
mysngoeshere56

Postby Changing Myst » Mon Jun 08, 2009 4:16 pm

Went to the library after VBS today and got a BUNCH of manga. Scared the stuffing out of the librarian when I brought them to be checked out along with ordinary books.

This is what I'm reading:

Fallen Vampire Volumes 1-4, Story by Kyo Shirodaira and art by Yuri Kimura. I only flipped through it to make sure there wasn't anything in the pictures, by I have no idea if it has any controversial content in it yet.

XXXHolic Volumes 10-12 by CLAMP. Good series, a bit weird.

Dragon Knights Volume 4-7 by Mineko Ohkami. I've read most of the series and I'm rereading it again.

Pearl Pink Volumes 1-3 by Meca Tanaka. Romance and fluff, that's all.
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]Even if you don't believe in God, He still believes in you.[/color]

For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord. Romans 8:38.

If Twilight was like Romeo and Juliet, they would have died a horrible and painful death. And I would have laughed. Hard. :lol:
Changing Myst

Full_Moon fan :D

Postby caramellmusic » Tue Jun 09, 2009 12:31 pm

I've been reading Kingdom Hearts, Peach Fuzz, Yotsuba&!, and CardCaptor Sakura. Yes, I like clean manga, because my little sister usually likes to read the books after me. Plus, those super-innapropriate ones are just...well....wrong X3:dance:
caramellmusic

Postby ich1990 » Tue Jun 09, 2009 2:37 pm

Monster volumes 16-18 (complete)

Wow. What a manga. I don't think any other story I have read in my life has led to such a feeling of catharsis upon its end. I think it is because it has taken me almost an entire year to read the series; I have grown attached to the characters and spent literally months with them.

The only complaint I have is that the ratio of head shots to torso wounds was incredibly high. Even unskilled people randomly firing seemed to always get head shots. I am also thankful that I had advance warning to skip a certain few pages, which toned down the content significantly. Otherwise, I am afraid it would have been too much for me to be comfortable.

Easily a 10/10.
Where an Eidolon, named night, on a black throne reigns upright.
ich1990

Previous Next

Return to Manga and Manga Reviews