What Manga are you reading?

Post about anime's sister, manga in here. Manga reviews accepted in here as well.

Postby Hana Ryuuzaki » Mon Mar 30, 2009 9:26 am

[font="palatino Linotype"]Maijin Tantei Nougami Neuro 183
[spoiler]AH I CAN'T BELIEVE THAT YAKO QUIT! I mean, with good reason, BUT STILL! D:[/spoiler]

Tegami Bachi 25
{Whoah...Niche's sister is WHACK. AND WHAT'S THIS ABOUT A TEGAMI BACHI ANIME? HMMM? o_o}

Kuroshitsuji 31
{That dude....Baron Kelvin is a FREAK!! D: }[/font]
[SIGPIC]http://christiananime.net/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=9906&dateline=1214542817[/SIGPIC]
[SIZE="1"][color="Plum"]WHY GOD MADE J-ROCK: Kamijo[/color][/SIZE]
[color="LightBlue"][SIZE="3"][font="Century Gothic"]Crucify My Love, If My Love Is Blind...[/SIZE][/color][/font]
Hana Ryuuzaki

Postby yukoxholic » Mon Mar 30, 2009 2:47 pm

Finished Fairy Tail Volume 5 and now on to XXXHolic Volume 13!

Hana Ryuuzaki (post: 1302092) wrote:[font="palatino Linotype"]
Tegami Bachi 25
{Whoah...Niche's sister is WHACK. AND WHAT'S THIS ABOUT A TEGAMI BACHI ANIME? HMMM? o_o}
: }[/font]

Yep, there is in fact an anime in the works at least for Japan. I'm unsure for a release here any time soon but it seems to be a really big hit overseas. ^_^ I can't wait for it to release!
yukoxholic

Postby Hana Ryuuzaki » Mon Mar 30, 2009 4:30 pm

[font="palatino Linotype"]Aah! I've seen the OVA, but this should be AWESOME.
:D
Happeh face is happeh[/font]
[SIGPIC]http://christiananime.net/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=9906&dateline=1214542817[/SIGPIC]
[SIZE="1"][color="Plum"]WHY GOD MADE J-ROCK: Kamijo[/color][/SIZE]
[color="LightBlue"][SIZE="3"][font="Century Gothic"]Crucify My Love, If My Love Is Blind...[/SIZE][/color][/font]
Hana Ryuuzaki

Postby ST. Attidude » Wed Apr 01, 2009 12:25 pm

Naruto Vol. 1 :p
ST. Attidude

Postby ST. Attidude » Wed Apr 01, 2009 12:26 pm

christianfriend (post: 1302051) wrote:The other day I finished Fist of the North Star! What a magnificent ending, although I wanted it to end differently, the way the Author chose to end it really does make more sense and fits the whole story :D

Ooh, I would like to get into that series soon. It sounds really interesting.
[color="Magenta"]@[/color][color="Red"])}[/color][color="DarkGreen"]~[/color][color="Green"]`,[/color][color="Lime"]~[/color] [color="LightBlue"]Carry This Rose In Your Sig, [color="Red"]As Thanks,[/color] [color="LightBlue"]To All The CAA Moderators[/color][/color]
______
[color="Navy"]ST[/color][color="Blue"].[/color][color="RoyalBlue"] Attidude's[/color][color="DeepSkyBlue"].[/color][color="LightBlue"].[/color].Portfolio Site, Twitter,
DeviantArt page
ST. Attidude

Postby minakichan » Wed Apr 01, 2009 8:16 pm

One Outs 7

A baseball manga about psychology rather than some super-athlete with special physical skill. I'm game.

Liar Game 60

Oh man, Fukunaga is one gorgeous lady. Too bad he's male... kind of.
ImageImage
minakichan

Postby Fish and Chips » Sat Apr 04, 2009 2:26 am

Steel Ball Run vol. 8

Through perseverance and determination you can cure your own diseases.
Fish and Chips

Postby uc pseudonym » Sat Apr 04, 2009 1:44 pm

I guess it's time for some random ongoing series comments.

Psyren

Future kids, anyone? I like this development and I hope that it's a sign that the author plans to take this past/future thing seriously. The idea of continually shaping what is to come makes the time skip element of the story much more interesting than a mere gimmick. And I'll admit it actually does have me wondering about why the protagonists are never in the future videotape. That's an ominous note done right.

Kekkaishi

This series remains just different enough from the usual shonen that it keeps me interested. It's nice to see a lot of the old tropes in a different mode than traditional mainstream shonen (One Piece, Kenshin) or modern mainstream (DBZ/Naruto/Bleach).

Eyeshield 21

Started reading this (with the current releases) because I thought the international flavor of this arc was interesting. Anyone else find the racism-reminiscent commentary about Panther kind of strange? I'm used to seeing insular language from Japan, but this one's been repeated so many times it's getting funny.
uc pseudonym

Postby MasterDias » Sat Apr 04, 2009 3:19 pm

uc pseudonym (post: 1303201) wrote:Psyren

Future kids, anyone? I like this development and I hope that it's a sign that the author plans to take this past/future thing seriously. The idea of continually shaping what is to come makes the time skip element of the story much more interesting than a mere gimmick. And I'll admit it actually does have me wondering about why the protagonists are never in the future videotape. That's an ominous note done right.

Yeah, I liked that as well. This series does manage to surprise me here and there. I didn't think those kids would be this important when they were first introduced.
I'm sort of worried however that this series tends to hover in the bottom half of the Weekly Jump rankings.

Kekkaishi

This series remains just different enough from the usual shonen that it keeps me interested. It's nice to see a lot of the old tropes in a different mode than traditional mainstream shonen (One Piece, Kenshin) or modern mainstream (DBZ/Naruto/Bleach).

Kekkaishi's a solid series, but it is pretty low-key and unflashy really, so it will never be as popular as the other more popular series unfortunately.
How are you classifying certain series as "traditional" and "modern?"

Eyeshield 21

Started reading this (with the current releases) because I thought the international flavor of this arc was interesting. Anyone else find the racism-reminiscent commentary about Panther kind of strange? I'm used to seeing insular language from Japan, but this one's been repeated so many times it's getting funny.

Man, it's been awhile since I read Eyeshield 21.
But, I do remember the stuff about Panther. I find it interesting whenever a mangaka sticks in other ethnicities, but they usually wind up being either awkward stereotypes(like Shaman King) or completely irrelevant to anything(like Konjiki no Gash!).
-----------------------------------------
"Always seek to do good to one another and to all."
1 Thessalonians 5:15

"Every story must have an ending." - Auron - Final Fantasy X

"A small stone may make a ripple at first, but someday it will be a wave." - Wiegraf - Final Fantasy Tactics
MasterDias

Postby yukoxholic » Sun Apr 05, 2009 5:58 am

Started NANA Volume 14 and halfway through Kekkashi Volume 10. It seems I have alot of catching up to do with that series but I agree with UC. It's different enough to make you want to continue reading it.

Nara-San (post: 1303212) wrote:Recently Ive been reading Fairy Tail ^_^ by Hiro Mashima. Has anyone read this or is reading it?

I have and I love it. ^_^
yukoxholic

Postby GeneD » Sun Apr 05, 2009 8:56 am

Fullmetal Alchemist volume 2.
I don't know what broke to make you like this, but I must be broken too if I'm standing here praising your destructiveness. -Rock (Black Lagoon)

As I had encountered kindness, I wanted to be kind myself. -Takashi Natsume (Natsume's Book of Friends)

MAL
Twitter
MOES: Promoting sane sigs.
GeneD

Postby ich1990 » Sun Apr 05, 2009 9:29 am

Psyren 64/65

That is a Deus Ex Mechina I can approve of.
Where an Eidolon, named night, on a black throne reigns upright.
ich1990

Postby uc pseudonym » Sun Apr 05, 2009 2:43 pm

We can all cross our fingers about Psyren. If it can hold onto mediocre rankings long enough for one of the major series to end, I think it's probably safe.

Nara-San wrote:Recently Ive been reading Fairy Tail ^_^ by Hiro Mashima. Has anyone read this or is reading it?

A number of us in this thread do. I've personally come to expect very little from the series, but I hope you continue to enjoy it.

MasterDias wrote:How are you classifying certain series as "traditional" and "modern?"

I had a feeling someone would ask that. Sadly, my classification is based on a gut-level impression. Naruto and Bleach simply feel the same to me in terms of action (and I think they take some of these cues from Dragonball). Whereas One Piece and other older series seem to follow a slightly different formula of action/comedy/adventure.
uc pseudonym

Postby christianfriend » Mon Apr 06, 2009 1:22 am

I just finished reading Wild Ones Vol.5 :3 This is a pretty cute series so far!~
[font="Lucida Console"][align=center]“The [color="Magenta"]best[/color] kind of [color="Magenta"]friend[/color] is the kind you can sit on a porch and swing with, never say a word, and then walk away feeling like it was the best conversation you've ever had.â€
christianfriend

Postby yukoxholic » Tue Apr 07, 2009 3:02 pm

La Corda D'Oro Volume 10
yukoxholic

Postby blkmage » Fri Apr 10, 2009 1:03 pm

Picked up and went through Cross Game this week. It's a baseball/drama/slice-of-life manga. The anime adaptation just started last week. Great characters.
blkmage

Postby Fish and Chips » Sat Apr 11, 2009 6:59 pm

One Piece vol. 17
Pluto vol. 9? COMPLETED
Samurai Deeper Kyo vol. 31
Toto! The Wonderful Adventure vol. 1

In a world where crap like Samurai Deeper Kyo gets published, I'm glad we have something like Toto to take our minds off it.

And I suppose I finished Pluto. Not sure on the final volume count, but it's done.
Fish and Chips

Postby That Dude » Sat Apr 11, 2009 11:09 pm

Kitchen Princess: Vol 9.
I am convinced that many men who preach the gospel and love the Lord are really misunderstood. People make a “profession,â€
That Dude

Postby yukoxholic » Sun Apr 12, 2009 5:23 pm

One Piece Volume 20
yukoxholic

Postby Wyntre Rose » Sun Apr 12, 2009 9:38 pm

The last several volumes of Death Note. I found some charming fanart of the Wammy boys (L, Near, Mello and Matt) interacting, but am a little confused, since I was thinking that, at least in the anime, someone says that Near, Mello and Matt never actually meet L, except behind that computer with the L logo on it. I'm trying to figure out if that's one thing that the anime and manga differ on, or if the fanartist just conveniently "forgot" that little detail...lol. ;)

I've also been reading the Fullmetal Alchemist manga - I adored the first anime series (yup, even the movie!) and was completely content with the story it followed, but became intrigued when I heard it was being redone in such a way that it would follow the manga series more accurately this time around. I decided to start reading the manga, but now I'm a little skeptical of just how faithful this one will be, since the first episode of the new series revolved around Ed going against a character that doesn't seem to appear in the manga... :eyebrow:ah well, we shall see. Early days yet, right?
Wyntre Rose

Postby ~darkelfgirl~ » Sun Apr 12, 2009 9:52 pm

Currently reading D-Grayman.
[color=purple][font=Tahoma][color=royalblue]"But those who wait on the Lord shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings like eagles, they shall run and not be weary, they shall walk and not faint."--[/color]Isaiah 40:31
[/font]
[/color]
~darkelfgirl~

Postby GeneD » Tue Apr 14, 2009 4:32 am

FMA volumes 3 and 4.

[spoiler]I keep re-reading the part with Hughes' death, in the hopes that somehow he stabs Envy and gets away. It hasn't happened yet.[/spoiler]
I don't know what broke to make you like this, but I must be broken too if I'm standing here praising your destructiveness. -Rock (Black Lagoon)

As I had encountered kindness, I wanted to be kind myself. -Takashi Natsume (Natsume's Book of Friends)

MAL
Twitter
GeneD

Postby goldenspines » Tue Apr 14, 2009 5:38 am

Currently reading Monster vol. 1 (finally). I hope to get vol. 2 soon.
goldenspines

Postby Fish and Chips » Tue Apr 14, 2009 4:40 pm

Bleach vol. 24-25
Toto! The Wonderful Adventure vol. 2-3

Bleach volume 24 may be the worst volume 24 I have ever read.
Fish and Chips

Postby LadyRushia » Tue Apr 14, 2009 4:47 pm

I'm currently borrowing Fruits Basket from my room mate. I'm on volume 13.
Fanfiction (updated 1/1/11)-- Lucky Star--Ginsaki ch. 4
[color="Magenta"]Sometimes I post things.[/color]
Image Image Image
LadyRushia

Postby GeneD » Mon Apr 20, 2009 1:28 pm

Finished FMA volumes 5 and 6.

MAL
Twitter
GeneD

Postby Wyntre Rose » Mon Apr 20, 2009 4:30 pm

Just finishing the most recent chapter of FMA, and I'm kicking myself. I should honestly know better than to start a series that hasn't finished yet. Cliffhangers kill me! Ah well, couldn't help myself. I wanted to see what the differences were between manga and first anime before I got too into the second anime series.

And...my favorite non-first-anime-character is...Ling Yao. He's hilarious. :lol: Can't wait to see how they animate him.
Wyntre Rose

Postby Mr. Hat'n'Clogs » Mon Apr 20, 2009 5:03 pm

Just finished Rurouni Kenshin yesterday. I'm not quite sure what to read now though. I should go to the reccomendation thread.
Mr. Hat'n'Clogs

Postby -Frail-Dreams- » Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:31 am

I am reading Death Note 42. Definitely my favorite manga. ;)
-Frail-Dreams-

Postby KagayakiWashi » Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:50 am

I just finished reading the LONG ANTICIPATED conclusion to Trigun Maximum.
[color="Red"]IT WAS AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![/color]
"To be a good listener, you must acquire a musical culture...you must be familiar with the history and development of music, you must listen...to receive music you have to open your ears and wait for the music, you must believe that it is something you need ...to listen is an effort, and just to hear has no merit. A duck hears also." - Igor Stravinsky
Are you hurting? Struggling with something? Need an ear? Check out The Hopeline! https://www.thehopeline.com/CSDefault.aspx
The Blog! http://kagayakiwashi.livejournal.com/
KagayakiWashi

Location: Constantly chasing the dragonfly of love....or something like that

Previous Next

Return to Manga and Manga Reviews