Classical music anyone?

For all the music-lovers out there, this is your place to swap lyrics, talk about new bands and jazz about concerts. All things related to the audio world belong here.

Classical music anyone?

Postby RandomBurrito » Mon Mar 16, 2009 11:54 pm

I have a taste for all sorts of music, classical is one of them. Some of my faves are Moonlight Sonata and Nocturne. So..... what are yours?
[SIZE="5"][color="White"]Praise Father, Son, and Holy Ghost! [/color][/SIZE]

[color="DarkOrchid"]@[/color][color="Green"])}~`,~[/color] [color="Yellow"]Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks, To All The CAA moderators.[/color]
:hug:
RandomBurrito

Postby Scarecrow » Tue Mar 17, 2009 2:47 am

OOoo yes I love Moonlight Sonata... Canon in D Major is another favorite (and it's modern version, Canon Rock).

I really haven't listen to a lot or familiar with much but yes, I could listen to those two all day long.

I used to like Beethoven's 5th but I really don't care for it anymore.

EDIT: OMG, ok so it's not really classical but I did a search for Nocturne cause I didn't remember hearing that before. Anyway, I found this beautiful piece of work. Nocturne by some group called Secret Garden. Anyway, just had to share it :P
"Take me down, shake me out. Give me a brain, that I might know You better"
Scarecrow

Postby Lady Kenshin » Tue Mar 17, 2009 3:38 am

Let's see...

Beethoven: Fur Elise, 5th Symphony

Bach: Toccata and Fugue in D Minor

Dvorak: Slavonic Dance #2 In E Minor

Oh! Oh! Oh!

Mozart's Requiem, especially Lacrimosa and the Dies Irae!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

It's okay to be a fanfiction author... http://www.fanfiction.net/~loveslabourswon
Lady Kenshin

Postby Fantasy Dreamer » Tue Mar 17, 2009 6:12 am

Toccata and Fugue in D Minor by Bach, Swan Lake by Tchaikovsky, Cannon in D by Pachelbel, and I like Mozart, Beethoven, as well as other composers, but I don't know the names of the pieces I like. ^^;
"Be strong, and let your heart take courage, all you who wait for the Lord!" - Psalm 31:24

"MOES: Sig. Or sig not. There is no scroll."

My Fanfiction.net account
My DA account
My MAL

"An XD a post will keep humor at its most." - Goldenspines <3
Fantasy Dreamer

Postby EricTheFred » Tue Mar 17, 2009 11:12 am

I've played in an amateur orchestra before, and I've got a CD library at least 200 discs deep in Classical music. Very big on early 20th century symphonic, such as Shostakovich, SIbelius and Vaughan Williams. Burned out on listening to Beethoven years ago, but he's a lot of fun to play.
May the Lord bless you and keep you.
May He cause His face to shine upon you.
May He lift up His countenance and grant you peace.

Maokun: Ninjas or Pirates? (Vikings are not a valid answer, sorry)

EricTheFred: Vikings are always a valid answer.

Feel free to visit My Writing.com Portfolio

Largo: "Well Ed, good to see ya. Guess I gotta beat the crap out of you now."

Jamie Hyneman: "It's just another lovely day at the bomb range. Birds are singing, rabbits are hopping about, and soon there's going to be a big explosion."
EricTheFred

Postby Sheenar » Tue Mar 17, 2009 11:33 am

Holst's The Planets is probably my all-time favorite classical/orchestral CD. I also love the 3rd soundtrack for Fullmetal Alchemist because of all the fantastic orchestral music.

I also really enjoy choral music such as Handel's Messiah and the mixture of sorts that is the Trans-Siberian Orchestra.
"Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal." 2 Corinthians 4:16-18

"Since the creation of the Internet, the Earth's rotation has been fueled, primarily, by the collective spinning of English teachers in their graves."
Sheenar

Postby The Liar XIII » Tue Mar 17, 2009 11:39 am

I don't listen to it much, but I love it. The elegance of the music is just so beautiful and whatnot. Some of my favourites are by Beethoven. :)
You can't hate "O Fortuana". :)
Some Assembly Required

The Liar XIII

Postby ShiroiHikari » Tue Mar 17, 2009 2:04 pm

I really like Claire de Lune by Debussy.
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby Midori » Tue Mar 17, 2009 2:32 pm

I like nearly everything Bach, Beethoven, and Contemporary Russian. Especially Tchaikovsky.
Midori

Postby RandomBurrito » Mon Mar 23, 2009 12:47 pm

Oops, I"m sorry I haven't replied here.

I've played one of Bach's pieces before, but I forgot the name..... heh.....

I have a CD too of different piano pieces, I need to find it though O.O

[color="DarkOrchid"]@[/color][color="Green"])}~`,~[/color] [color="Yellow"]Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks, To All The CAA moderators.[/color]
RandomBurrito

Postby EricTheFred » Mon Mar 23, 2009 5:34 pm

'Nocturne' is a common piece name. Some composers have written dozens. It just means, in effect, 'Night Song'. So, there's lot's of them.

So I'm curious which one out of the many RandomBurrito meant. My absolute favorite is probably the Nocturne from Mendelsohn's "A Midsummer Night's Dream".

Here's a really low-grade recording of it.

Jamie Hyneman: "It's just another lovely day at the bomb range. Birds are singing, rabbits are hopping about, and soon there's going to be a big explosion."
EricTheFred

Postby Zarn Ishtare » Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:04 am

Brahms 1st Piano Concerto
With your doubt, all is comfort
We are all as we appear
No more questions left unanswered
No more wonder, no more fear
Nothing is beauty, nothing's feeling
Blood where there once was a soul
So I ask you, prove yourself
Make me believe that you are whole
Zarn Ishtare

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Fri Mar 27, 2009 7:22 am

Lady Kenshin (post: 1297805) wrote:Mozart's Requiem, especially Lacrimosa and the Dies Irae!

<3 Definitely! And I would add the Confutatis Maledictis part to that as well! So dramatic and ominous....

One of my favorite pieces of classical music is Beethoven's 5th Symphony. I used to go to sleep with that, and it's just so epic. Amazing.

Bach was a very good composer, obviously. I like "Air" and "Sonata No. 3 in C: III Largo" (and one piece from one of his Brandenburg Concertos that I can never remember the name of) a lot, but my favorite by far is his "Partita No. 2 in D: Chaconne". That's my favorite bit of classical music ever.

I also like Shostakovich, especially his 8th quartet. And I've just recently been introduced to Brahms' "Violin Sonata #3 in D, Op. 108 - Adagio", which is beautiful.

But my favorite classical composer of all is Antonio Vivaldi. There's a richness of emotion to his music - and a simplicity and emphasis on strings - that appeals to me very, very much. I love his Four Seasons pieces to death, and his "Concerto in A for violin", but I'm trying to broaden my scope and listen to more of his stuff. I really like his Gloria Chorus, and Dixit Dominus, and some others among his concertos.

...and having a best friend who's been a violinist since the age of four helps a lot in expanding my tastes in classical music.
You can find out things about the past that you never knew. And from what you've learned, you may see some things differently in the present. You're the one that changes. Not the past.
- Ellone, Final Fantasy VIII

"There's a difference between maliciously offending somebody - on purpose - and somebody being offended by...truth. If you're offended by the truth, that's your problem. I have no obligation to not offend you if I'm speaking the truth. The truth is supposed to offend you; that's how you know you don't got it."
- Brad Stine
the_wolfs_howl

Postby Dr.Faust » Wed Apr 08, 2009 5:32 pm

Akeboshi,Bach,Ryuichi Sakamoto
Dr.Faust

Postby KagayakiWashi » Fri Apr 10, 2009 9:40 am

Totally didn't see this thread before.
I LOVE classical music from all periods, it's somewhat of a passion of mine. It began with my obsession with film scores and listening to the people who influenced them.....as well as a viewing of "Amadeus" on my 20th birthday.
First of all, I should mention Dmitri Shostakovich. I personally think he gets overlooked. He might be my favorite, just because his music is so accessible and covers all kinds of forms, but it's hard because there's alot of music out there, hahaha. I don't care who says he copied from this person or that person or how "unoriginal" he might be, he wrote good music that my ears enjoy hearing. From the light and, dare I say, "poppy" Jazz suites to the harshness of the 4th Symphony or 8th String Quartet, I really like this guy. I was recently listening through Shostakovich's piano works and they are simply wonderful (especially the trios).
Next might be Ludwig van Beethoven. His piano music is wonderful (I'm listening through his sonatas right now), but his symphonies are simply amazing, especially the 5th, 6th, 7th, and 9th. Really good stuff there.
Richard Wagner is also a candidate for my favorite, but you have to be in the mood, since about 95% of his musical output was opera, and I really can't listen to opera day in day out. The problem with Wagner is that there are really good highpoints in his operas, but then there's the long, slow, passages of narrative importance that has little interesting music. Der Ring Des Nibelungen might very well be the greatest piece of musical art ever written.
Igor Stravinsky is another one of my favorites. His earlier works interest me more than his later works. I got into listening to Stravinsky after I kept hearing that Danny Elfman claims him as one of his biggest influences. Very, very different and interesting music. Petrouchka, The Firebird, and The Rite of Spring are favorites of mine.
Recently, I've been listening to more Bach and Handel and gaining an appreciation for the music from that era. Mozart also wrote some good music, though it pretty much all sounds the same to me ("Don Giovanni", the last "Requiem Mass", and the piano concertos are all favorites).
Franz Liszt wrote incredible music for the piano. I especially love his "Hungarian Rhapsodies" and his piano transcriptions from Beethoven's symphonies.
As far as modern day "classical music" composers go, Danny Elfman (Serenada Schizophrana) and Philip Glass are at the top of my list. And if we delve into film scores, Lalo Schifrin, Bernard Herrmann, Ennio Morricone, and John Williams are also favorites.
I almost forget Frank Zappa, who was not only an excellent guitarist, jazz composer, and satirical songwriter, but who also wrote plenty of "classical music".
Favorite works:

Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart: Various Wind Concertos (conducted by Karl Bohm), The Piano Concertos (performed by Vladimir Ashkenazy), Don Giovanni (conducted by John Elliot Gardiner)

Ludwig van Beethoven: Symphonies 5, 6, 7, 9 (conducted by Georg Solti), "Moonlight Sonata", and Piano Sonata 32 (performed by Vladimir Ashkenazy)

Franz Liszt: Mephisto Waltz #1, Totentanz, Fantasia on Hungarian Folk Themes (performed by Jeorge Bolet), Beethoven Symphony Transcriptions (performed by Cyprian Katsaris), The Hungarian Rhapsodies.

Carl Maria von Weber: "Der Frieschutz", Horn Concerto

Richard Wagner: Der Ring Des Niebelungen, Der Fliegende Hollander, Tannhauser (conducted by Georg Solti)

Gustav Mahler: Symphony #1 (conducted by Georg Solti)

Gilbert and Sullivan: HMS Pinafore, Patience, Iolanthe, Ruddigore

Igor Stravinsky: The Rite of Spring, The Firebird, Petrouchka, Scherzo a la Russe, Violin Concerto in D, various smaller works (conducted by Igor Stravinsky)

Dmitri Shostakovich: Symphonies 4, 7, and 12 (conducted by Bernard Haitnik), Jazz Suites 1 and 2, Moscow-Cheremushki suite, Preludes and Fuges Op. 87, String Quartet no. 8, The Songs of the Forest, The Execution of Stepan Razin

Frank Zappa: Strictly Genteel, Pedro's Dowry, Bogus Pomp (LSO versions), Dog Breath Variations/Uncle Meat, *-**** Tornado (Yellow Shark Versions)

Philip Glass: Glassworks, Heroes Symphony, Symphony 3,

Danny Elfman: Serenada Schizophrana
"To be a good listener, you must acquire a musical culture...you must be familiar with the history and development of music, you must listen...to receive music you have to open your ears and wait for the music, you must believe that it is something you need ...to listen is an effort, and just to hear has no merit. A duck hears also." - Igor Stravinsky
Are you hurting? Struggling with something? Need an ear? Check out The Hopeline! https://www.thehopeline.com/CSDefault.aspx
The Blog! http://kagayakiwashi.livejournal.com/
KagayakiWashi

Location: Constantly chasing the dragonfly of love....or something like that

Postby EricTheFred » Mon Apr 13, 2009 7:14 pm

KagayakiWashi:
After going through your list, I have a couple suggestions for you.

You may have heard of "Professor Shickele", the guy who does the 'PDQ Bach' albums. Check out some of his serious stuff (as Peter Shickele). My favorite CD from him has his first string quartet, piano quintet and fourth (I think) string quartet. Remarkable stuff.

Also, if you like Shostakovich, you may enjoy one of his students, Andrei Eshpai. I have several recordings (mostly reprinted soviet stuff) including most of his symphonies, but my absolute favorite from him is his Flute Concerto.

EricTheFred

Postby KagayakiWashi » Mon Apr 13, 2009 8:13 pm

EricTheFred (post: 1304796) wrote:KagayakiWashi:
After going through your list, I have a couple suggestions for you.

You may have heard of "Professor Shickele", the guy who does the 'PDQ Bach' albums. Check out some of his serious stuff (as Peter Shickele). My favorite CD from him has his first string quartet, piano quintet and fourth (I think) string quartet. Remarkable stuff.

Also, if you like Shostakovich, you may enjoy one of his students, Andrei Eshpai. I have several recordings (mostly reprinted soviet stuff) including most of his symphonies, but my absolute favorite from him is his Flute Concerto.

Cool, I'll have to check Eshpai out.
As for PDQ Bach, I've seen a DVD of some of his stuff.....my favorite was the "Conductor Vs. Orshestra" rendition of Beethoven's 5th....but I'm not sure if that DVD had any of his "serious" music on it.
"To be a good listener, you must acquire a musical culture...you must be familiar with the history and development of music, you must listen...to receive music you have to open your ears and wait for the music, you must believe that it is something you need ...to listen is an effort, and just to hear has no merit. A duck hears also." - Igor Stravinsky
Are you hurting? Struggling with something? Need an ear? Check out The Hopeline! https://www.thehopeline.com/CSDefault.aspx
KagayakiWashi

Postby EricTheFred » Tue Apr 14, 2009 6:24 am

KagayakiWashi (post: 1304806) wrote:Cool, I'll have to check Eshpai out.
As for PDQ Bach, I've seen a DVD of some of his stuff.....my favorite was the "Conductor Vs. Orshestra" rendition of Beethoven's 5th....but I'm not sure if that DVD had any of his "serious" music on it.

I guarantee it didn't. Schickele keeps them pretty clearly separated.

Here's the album I mentioned: American Dreams"

EricTheFred

Postby RandomBurrito » Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:01 pm

KagayakiWashi (post: 1304162) wrote:Totally didn't see this thread before.
I LOVE classical music from all periods, it's somewhat of a passion of mine. It began with my obsession with film scores and listening to the people who influenced them.....as well as a viewing of "Amadeus" on my 20th birthday.
First of all, I should mention Dmitri Shostakovich. I personally think he gets overlooked. He might be my favorite, just because his music is so accessible and covers all kinds of forms, but it's hard because there's alot of music out there, hahaha. I don't care who says he copied from this person or that person or how "unoriginal" he might be, he wrote good music that my ears enjoy hearing. From the light and, dare I say, "poppy" Jazz suites to the harshness of the 4th Symphony or 8th String Quartet, I really like this guy. I was recently listening through Shostakovich's piano works and they are simply wonderful (especially the trios).
Next might be Ludwig van Beethoven. His piano music is wonderful (I'm listening through his sonatas right now), but his symphonies are simply amazing, especially the 5th, 6th, 7th, and 9th. Really good stuff there.
Richard Wagner is also a candidate for my favorite, but you have to be in the mood, since about 95% of his musical output was opera, and I really can't listen to opera day in day out. The problem with Wagner is that there are really good highpoints in his operas, but then there's the long, slow, passages of narrative importance that has little interesting music. Der Ring Des Nibelungen might very well be the greatest piece of musical art ever written.
Igor Stravinsky is another one of my favorites. His earlier works interest me more than his later works. I got into listening to Stravinsky after I kept hearing that Danny Elfman claims him as one of his biggest influences. Very, very different and interesting music. Petrouchka, The Firebird, and The Rite of Spring are favorites of mine.
Recently, I've been listening to more Bach and Handel and gaining an appreciation for the music from that era. Mozart also wrote some good music, though it pretty much all sounds the same to me ("Don Giovanni", the last "Requiem Mass", and the piano concertos are all favorites).
Franz Liszt wrote incredible music for the piano. I especially love his "Hungarian Rhapsodies" and his piano transcriptions from Beethoven's symphonies.
As far as modern day "classical music" composers go, Danny Elfman (Serenada Schizophrana) and Philip Glass are at the top of my list. And if we delve into film scores, Lalo Schifrin, Bernard Herrmann, Ennio Morricone, and John Williams are also favorites.
I almost forget Frank Zappa, who was not only an excellent guitarist, jazz composer, and satirical songwriter, but who also wrote plenty of "classical music".
Favorite works:

Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart: Various Wind Concertos (conducted by Karl Bohm), The Piano Concertos (performed by Vladimir Ashkenazy), Don Giovanni (conducted by John Elliot Gardiner)

Ludwig van Beethoven: Symphonies 5, 6, 7, 9 (conducted by Georg Solti), "Moonlight Sonata", and Piano Sonata 32 (performed by Vladimir Ashkenazy)

Franz Liszt: Mephisto Waltz #1, Totentanz, Fantasia on Hungarian Folk Themes (performed by Jeorge Bolet), Beethoven Symphony Transcriptions (performed by Cyprian Katsaris), The Hungarian Rhapsodies.

Carl Maria von Weber: "Der Frieschutz", Horn Concerto

Richard Wagner: Der Ring Des Niebelungen, Der Fliegende Hollander, Tannhauser (conducted by Georg Solti)

Gustav Mahler: Symphony #1 (conducted by Georg Solti)

Gilbert and Sullivan: HMS Pinafore, Patience, Iolanthe, Ruddigore

Igor Stravinsky: The Rite of Spring, The Firebird, Petrouchka, Scherzo a la Russe, Violin Concerto in D, various smaller works (conducted by Igor Stravinsky)

Dmitri Shostakovich: Symphonies 4, 7, and 12 (conducted by Bernard Haitnik), Jazz Suites 1 and 2, Moscow-Cheremushki suite, Preludes and Fuges Op. 87, String Quartet no. 8, The Songs of the Forest, The Execution of Stepan Razin

Frank Zappa: Strictly Genteel, Pedro's Dowry, Bogus Pomp (LSO versions), Dog Breath Variations/Uncle Meat, *-**** Tornado (Yellow Shark Versions)

Philip Glass: Glassworks, Heroes Symphony, Symphony 3,

Danny Elfman: Serenada Schizophrana

Wow, you know alot of composers. I've heard several of Handel's works. There is one of his pieces that I particularly enjoy but I can't seem to remember the name, lol. I need to memorize the names ._. I need to search some of those composers.
I recently bought a CD with classical piano, it's really good. I really like Pathetique from Beethoven. And I thought Impromptu No. 3 from Schubert sounded cool.

EricTheFred

The Nocturne I was talking about is called Nocturne Op. 9 No. 1 from Chopin.

RandomBurrito

Postby Phantom_Sorano » Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:30 pm

Cool....other classical music nerds.
Some of my favorite composers are Mozart, Chopin, Beethoven, Handel, Stravinksy, Rimsky-Korsakav, Wagner, Elfman, Copeland, Grainger, Holsinger, Jager, and Silvestri.
(To name a few...)
Jeremiah 29:11-"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord,"plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."
"All the world's a stage and all the men and women merely players; they have their entrances and their exits and one man in his time plays many parts."-Will Shakespeare
@)}~ carry this rose in your sig, as thanks, to all the CAA Moderators
Phantom_Sorano

Postby EricTheFred » Thu Apr 16, 2009 11:37 am

RandomBurrito (post: 1305200) wrote:The Nocturne I was talking about is called Nocturne Op. 9 No. 1 from Chopin.

I like this one, too. Think I have the music for it somewhere around here, but I've never got around to tackling it.

EricTheFred

Postby shooraijin » Thu Apr 16, 2009 7:38 pm

Bach, Handel, anything baroque, pretty much. I also like Debussy, incongruously.
"you're a doctor.... and 27 years.... so...doctor + 27 years = HATORI SOHMA" - RoyalWing, when I was 27
"Al hail the forum editting Shooby! His vibes are law!" - Osaka-chan

I could still be champ, but I'd feel bad taking it away from one of the younger guys. - George Foreman
shooraijin

Postby Phantom_Sorano » Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:43 pm

I just stumbled on this piece, and it is so great!

Romeo and Juliet Ballet, Act 4, composed by Prokoveil, performed by the Cleveland Symphony
Jeremiah 29:11-"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord,"plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."
"All the world's a stage and all the men and women merely players; they have their entrances and their exits and one man in his time plays many parts."-Will Shakespeare
@)}~ carry this rose in your sig, as thanks, to all the CAA Moderators
Phantom_Sorano

Postby KagayakiWashi » Thu Apr 16, 2009 10:33 pm

I always forget about Prokofiev! I love his "Alexander Nevsky" film score. He writes some really cool stuff.
And about Debussy....I love "Golliwag's Cakewalk" and "Doctor Gradus Ad Parnassum" (as performed by Bela Fleck)
KagayakiWashi

Postby That Dude » Fri Apr 17, 2009 8:44 am

I enjoy all the standards like Bach, Handel, Tchaikovksy...I don't really own any classical music records but I often will tune my radio onto the classical music station and just leave it there for hours.
I am convinced that many men who preach the gospel and love the Lord are really misunderstood. People make a “profession,â€
That Dude

Postby RandomBurrito » Sat Apr 18, 2009 12:50 pm

EricTheFred (post: 1305307) wrote:I like this one, too. Think I have the music for it somewhere around here, but I've never got around to tackling it.

I have like four or five different CDs. Some have same songs as others but oh well. I have a few Christmas ones as well.

RandomBurrito

Postby Lady Kenshin » Wed Apr 29, 2009 9:47 am

Lacrimosa and Dies Irae from Mozart's Reqiuem.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

It's okay to be a fanfiction author... http://www.fanfiction.net/~loveslabourswon
Lady Kenshin

Return to Jam Session