I NEED new music to listen to!

For all the music-lovers out there, this is your place to swap lyrics, talk about new bands and jazz about concerts. All things related to the audio world belong here.

I NEED new music to listen to!

Postby KumaruRockz » Sat Mar 21, 2009 11:06 am

Okay, I listen to Rock and Rap mainly. (Christian) Anyway, I'm getting a little tired of the same bands lol.

Anyway, I heard the song Tunak Tunak Tun by Daler Mehndi and I loved it. Hehe. Unfortunately it isn't Christian so I'm not gonna listen to it. Anyone know any artists with this type of music? Or at least what this type of music called. I've gotten tired of the constant guitar and I also want a kind of comical artist. I've heard basically every Christian artist ever lol but still give me some suggestions!

Btw, I'll listen to any suggestions lol. The Indian thing was more of a joke than anything else. Lolz.

Thanks, and God Bless You
-Kumaru.
[font="Franklin Gothic Medium"]To be honest, I don't have much to say.[/font]
KumaruRockz

Postby ShiroiHikari » Sat Mar 21, 2009 11:17 am

Good luck finding anything overtly Christian that sounds like that song!
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby The Liar XIII » Sat Mar 21, 2009 11:20 am

There's an old 60's Rock n' Roll band called Nazareth which I highly recommend to you. They're my favourite band and they can be considered a Christian band judging by their songs "May Heaven Keep You", "Holy Roller", and "Please Don't Judas Me".
They're a great band. Might want to check them out.
Personally, I recommend their songs "Every Time it Rains", "Dear John", "Ruby Tuesday", "Victoria", "Holy Roller", "Place in your Heart", "Holiday", "Big Boy", "Turn on your Receeever", and "Hair of the Dog".

All great songs.
Might not be what you're looking for, but it's still great music.

Newton Faulkner might be a good artist for you to look into, also.
Some Assembly Required

The Liar XIII

Postby Radical Dreamer » Sat Mar 21, 2009 11:27 am

I can't really suggest anything that's going to sound a bit like Daler Mehndi, but I can suggest some good bands with Christianity-inspired lyrics.

The first is Thrice; I'd say start with "The Artist in the Ambulance," then "Vheissu" and "The Alchemy Index" vols. 1-4. They have albums that are even earlier than those, but the three I listed are my favorites, so I'll suggest them first.

Next, I'll suggest mewithoutYou. They have a very unique sound and really deep lyrics. I'll suggest starting with "Brother, Sister," then working your way back as you get used to their sound with "Catch for Us the Foxes" and "A --> B Life."

Finally, I'll suggest Showbread, who have amazing "raw rock" music with incredible lyrics. I'd suggest starting with "Age of Reptiles," then "Anorexia/Nervosa" and "No Sir, Nihilism is Not Practical" (unless you prefer more screaming in your music; then start with No Sir Nihilism).

Unfortunately for what you're looking for, all of the above use guitars in their music, but the latter two manage to be wholly unique, and Thrice just does it right, while really coming into their own sound on "Vheissu" and "The Alchemy Index."

Also unfortunately for you, none of the above three try to be particularly funny; if you're looking for a "Christian band" with a sense of humor, check out Five Iron Frenzy (unless you already have). They're ska, so they have a different sound then the aforementioned three, but they keep an excellent balance between being funny, witty, and deep and meaningful. I'd suggest starting with "The End is Near/Here" and working your way backwards from there, with "Five Iron Frenzy 2: Electric Boogaloo" and "Our Newest Album Ever!"

Lastly, I'll suggest checking out My Epic, who have an excellent lyricist. Their songs are really worshipful without taking on that "three chord" woship music sound. In fact, most of their songs don't even follow the typical "Verse - chorus - Verse - chorus - bridge - chorus - chorus" pattern that many songs tend to fall into (though that goes for the above 4 much of the time, as well).

Anyways, none of these musicians are Indian, but I figure that's not enough reason not to suggest them. XD Hope you enjoy!
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby ShiroiHikari » Sat Mar 21, 2009 11:38 am

I second the Five Iron Frenzy recommendation. Catchy, well-composed songs with a sense of humor and some real bite at times.
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby KumaruRockz » Sat Mar 21, 2009 11:49 am

Thanks for the recommendations guys! I've heard of Showbread and Fire Iron Frenzy but I'll listen to some of their music. And yeah the Indian thing was more of a joke xD but it IS a catchy song. Anyway, I'll be checking these bands out. Feel free to add more recommendations :)
KumaruRockz

Postby KagayakiWashi » Sat Mar 21, 2009 4:47 pm

Definitely check out Five Iron Frenzy and their "The End is Here". "All the Hype That Money Can Buy" is a great album as well.
If you're looking for humor (bear it mind it's corny), ApologetiX are a Christian parody band....so they parody a ton of secular artists' songs with Christian lyrics. I can best describe it as Veggie Tales meets Weird Al.

If you can listen to music that is just plain music without lyrics or anything, the Fresh Aire CDs from Mannheim Steamroller are amazing albums with very unique music. I'll also throw in my classical music plugs for Beethoven's symphonies, Wagner overtures, Igor Stravinsky, Dmitri Shostakovich, Sergei Prokofiev. Film scores from Lalo Schifrin, Ennio Morricone, John Williams, and Danny Elfman are all good music too.
"To be a good listener, you must acquire a musical culture...you must be familiar with the history and development of music, you must listen...to receive music you have to open your ears and wait for the music, you must believe that it is something you need ...to listen is an effort, and just to hear has no merit. A duck hears also." - Igor Stravinsky
Are you hurting? Struggling with something? Need an ear? Check out The Hopeline! https://www.thehopeline.com/CSDefault.aspx
The Blog! http://kagayakiwashi.livejournal.com/
KagayakiWashi

Location: Constantly chasing the dragonfly of love....or something like that

Postby KumaruRockz » Sat Mar 21, 2009 6:52 pm

ApologetiX is awesome. Thank you very much. Lol. And I love John Williams' music.
KumaruRockz

Postby Scarecrow » Sat Mar 21, 2009 7:38 pm

But John Williams music isn't Christian.. ? =/

Anyway I have some recommendations... all Christian...

Darkwater, Theocracy, Rob Rock, Seventh Avenue, and Harmony...

And not a Christian band but their lyrics are pretty open to the idea of God. I feel the band members must be agnostic and searching cause their songs kind of reflect this "search for truth" feel. Anyway, this song about the crucifixion of Jesus is pretty good and it's sung from the point of view of Pilot ... Up through the Ashes by Kamelot :D
"Take me down, shake me out. Give me a brain, that I might know You better"
Scarecrow

Postby armeck » Fri Mar 27, 2009 7:55 am

i don't know that song but i like: stellar kart, power quest, hawk nelson, relient k, pillar, skillet. ummm flyleaf....... kj 52,
Just some punk kid that likes techno music
armeck

Postby Shiningmonk_e » Fri Mar 27, 2009 12:34 pm

My brother just showed me a cool site called Pandora.com. It's a radio station where you put in the name of any band and it brings up a bunch of songs from various artists based on the actual style of the band, not just the genre. It's really cool and should help you find more bands you might like.
Enjoy: http://www.pandora.com/
"Who is this?" they said to Me
'That the wind and waves obey
Come, let's hang Him on a tree
That His reign should pass away'
But here I am I say to you
Though you turn away, it is My will
To love you for forevermore
Peace be still, peace be still
-Showbread-the Sky(alpha)
Shiningmonk_e

Postby KumaruRockz » Sat Mar 28, 2009 8:12 am

Hehe John Williams is a composer. The songs have no lyrics so they're fine. And I'm in Band so I play music like his all the time. Thanks for the Pandora link. I'm checking it out. I'm listening to Showbread a lot now. xD Anyway, I'm very thankful for the reviews. I'm also listening to Five Iron Frenzy now. :D
KumaruRockz

Postby Kkun » Sat Mar 28, 2009 8:47 am

Showbread and Five Iron are the way to go.

I also cannot say enough good things about House of Heroes lately. Their newest album The End is Not the End is fantastic. It has a sense of humor, grandiose musicianship, and it's just a good album all around. I would highly recommend that.

Relient K's older stuff is excellent as far as being light-hearted, Christ-centered, and fun with a good sense of humor. I'm particularly fond of The Anatomy of the Tongue-in-Cheek.
I'm a shoe-in for hater of the year.
Kkun

Postby chibiphonebooth » Sat Mar 28, 2009 9:10 am

[quote="Radical Dreamer (post: 1299046)"]I can't really suggest anything that's going to sound a bit like Daler Mehndi, but I can suggest some good bands with Christianity-inspired lyrics.

The first is Thrice]

i hate you, i was going to come in here and suggest all those bands too! CURSE YOU AND OUR SAME MUSIC LOVE
ImageImageImage

[font="Impact"][SIZE="3"][color="SeaGreen"]"Savannah's signature: ruining serious since 2008"[/color][/SIZE][/font]

[font="Georgia"][color="Orange"][url=yourtoesaremissing.deviantart.com]Visit my DA X3[/url][/color][/font]
chibiphonebooth

Return to Jam Session