Steampunk Genre?

For all the music-lovers out there, this is your place to swap lyrics, talk about new bands and jazz about concerts. All things related to the audio world belong here.

Steampunk Genre?

Postby Benn » Mon Mar 02, 2009 5:23 pm

Wandering on myspace I found bands linked to from steampunk groups. I've never really heard their type of music before and was wondering if there's an actual steampunk genre? Some are listed as neo-victorian synthy pop etc... but I don't really know.

Groups like this I found are:
Abney Park
The Clockwork Dolls
Flood of Rain
Benn

Postby Cognitive Gear » Mon Mar 02, 2009 5:41 pm

I don't think that it really has a musical genre, honestly. I think that it's more of a visual and lyrical choice than a particular song style.

This is an oft-debated subject amongst steampunks, actually.
[font="Tahoma"][SIZE="2"]"It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things."

-Terry Pratchett[/SIZE][/font]
Cognitive Gear

Postby Benn » Mon Mar 02, 2009 6:17 pm

Hmmm so maybe it's more of a movement suck as Visual Kei is, rather than a genre. However, maybe it is cause after all there's power metal which focuses on fantasy and mythology. Why not have a new genre to focus on steam punk? lol

Anyways it's nice to hear something different.
Benn

Return to Jam Session