Your Favourite Bands/Artists

For all the music-lovers out there, this is your place to swap lyrics, talk about new bands and jazz about concerts. All things related to the audio world belong here.

Your Favourite Bands/Artists

Postby The Liar XIII » Wed Jan 21, 2009 5:34 pm

Hey, Fellow, CAA'ers.
CAA's Own Mr. Mojo Risin' here.

It's a simple question just like What is G x 700 = 60000000000000000004354719072347632

Well, maybe not.
lol.

Nazareth: Just a great band with great songs! Their lead singer, Dan McCafferty is surely a musical genious!
Sample Song: "Talk Talk"

The Doors: Simply put, Jim Morrison has one of the most unique voices in Rock 'n' Roll. Bow down to The Lizard King!
Sample Song: "Riders on the Storm"

John Fogerty/Creedence Clearwater Revival: John Fogerty? The man's got Pixie Sticks for Vocal Chords!
Sample Song: "Born on the Bayou"

Pink Floyd: Their music is just so smooth and easy to listen to. Beautiful vocals on the part of David Gilmour and Roger Waters.
Sample Song: "Wot's.. Uhh, The Deal"

R.E.M.: R.E.M. are a really big inspiration to a lot of bands. And, it's not hard to see why.
Sample Song: "Everybody Hurts"

Nirvana: Just the wails and the dark vocals by Kurt Cobain are legendary. Truly a great band.
Sample Song: "Where Did You Sleep Last Night (Leadbelly Cover)"

Statler Brothers:
They may be country, and I'm not a big fan of country, but they are amazing at what they do!
Sample Song: "Bed of Roses"

That's all what really comes to mind at the moment.
Some Assembly Required

The Liar XIII

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:22 pm

Linkin Park - Hybrid Theory especially has such a great, unique sound. I love how they mix all kinds of different things together to make their own style, especially how they mix singing and rapping together so seamlessly (that's not to say other people don't do that too, but I think Linkin Park does it the best).
Favorite song: In The End

Within Temptation - My favorite album of theirs is The Silent Force, but they still sound beautiful in other albums too. I love the guitars, and her voice is so pretty!
Favorite song: Memories

Breaking Benjamin - I love their melodies, and the main singer's voice. They just have a very epic sound, and awesome guitars to go along with it.
Favorite song: Breath

Dragonforce - Need I say more? :rock:
Favorite song: Through The Fire And The Flames

Trading Yesterday - Simple music, but so beautiful it brings tears to my eyes from time to time.
Favorite song: Shattered

LeCrae - Best Christian rapper EVER. Not only does he have a great voice for rapping, he knows how to rhyme, and as if that wasn't enough, he has good theology too.
Favorite song: I'm Prayin' For You

Chris Daughtry - When half of his album is hit singles, you know you've hit on something good XD
Favorite song: What About Now?

Antonio Vivaldi - You know, the guy who did The Four Seasons. I love chamber music, and his melodies are great. He might not be Mozart or Bach, but he knew how to make music beautiful.
Favorite song: The Four Seasons, "Summer" Presto

...and I could name dozens more, but I'll stop there for now.
You can find out things about the past that you never knew. And from what you've learned, you may see some things differently in the present. You're the one that changes. Not the past.
- Ellone, Final Fantasy VIII

"There's a difference between maliciously offending somebody - on purpose - and somebody being offended by...truth. If you're offended by the truth, that's your problem. I have no obligation to not offend you if I'm speaking the truth. The truth is supposed to offend you; that's how you know you don't got it."
- Brad Stine
the_wolfs_howl

Postby Shiningmonk_e » Thu Jan 22, 2009 2:24 pm

Oh, there are a lot so I'll just post some :P

Showbread- I love their crazy uniqueness and awesome songs
Example: And the Smokers and the Children Will be Cast Down

Oh, Sleeper-Great scream and some awesome melodic moments
Example: Siren's Song

Project 86-Awesome-if not a bit creepy-voice
Example: Hold Me Closely, Violent Dancer

Thousand Foot Krutch-Awesome voice and heartfelt songs
Example: The Flame in all of Us

That's all I'll post for now. :D
Shiningmonk_e

Postby Scarecrow » Fri Jan 23, 2009 6:20 am

Hmm....

Blind Guardian - My all time favorite primarily because they were the first band I ever really got into and I have every album they put out ^_^ Plus they just fricken rock and they have some of the best power ballads (the power ballads were actually what attracted me to them in the first place)
Samples: The Bard's Song and And Then There Was Silence.

Helloween Well... these guys pretty much invented power metal... ok I know Iron Maiden was first but these guys made power metal what it is today.
Samples: Halloween and Heaven Tells No Lies

Nightwish: Nice music to relax too. Tarja's voice is absolutely beautiful.
Samples: Sleeping Sun and End of all Hope

Kamelot: The lead singer, Roy Khan, is easily my all time favorite male vocalist. Their live stuff is always waaay better than their studio albums.
Samples: Centre of the Universe and Abandoned

Edguy: They have quite the sense of humor. Nice power metal band.
Samples:King of Fools and Tears of a Mandrake

Ensiferum: These guys rock. That whole viking sound they have going on is totally awesome.
Sample: Tale of Revenge and One More Magic Potion

Eluveitie: Folk metal! Great melodies, unique sounds... and just feel like going to Scotland or somewhere after listening to them.
Samples: The Endless Knot and Slania's Song

WinterSun: I love these guys. It's like... melodic metal with harsh vocals. Beautiful beautiful stuff.
Samples: Death and the Healing and StarChild

Gamma Ray Another good power metal band I really like :D
Samples: Valley of the Kings and Salvation's Calling

Iron Maiden Umm ya... don't need to say anymore.
Samples: Aces High and Powerslave

I got lots more but that's good and at the moment, those are my tops I've been listening to a lot lately.

(in case you haven't noticed, ya, I like power metal :rock: Melodic metal is my second favorite sub-genre. So just about everything I listen to falls somewhere in there :D And ya, I really like Through the Fire and the Flames too but overall I don't care for Dragonforce... and they suck live >.<)
"Take me down, shake me out. Give me a brain, that I might know You better"
Scarecrow

Postby That Dude » Fri Jan 23, 2009 10:44 am

Project 86 - These were the guys that got me into hardcore, they are always doing something new, they have great lyrics and they are just one of those bands that all the other bands look up to.
Samples: Sad Machines, Last Meal, Illuminate

MxPx - Not the first but the best christian pop-punk outfit ever, their music has influenced %90 of all the new pop-punk acts that have recently come out.
Samples: Move To Bremerton, Chop Shop, Under Lock And Key, The Final Slowdance

Blindside - Like Project, one of those legendery hard rock bands that everyone looks up to. These guys know how to make interesting, good music.
Samples: Time Will Change Your Heart, When I Remember, Slow Motion.

Copeland - These guys are one of, if not the best indie rock outfit out there. Their music is always beautiful yet tinged with sadness. Great and interesting composition, just good all around.
Samples: Love Is Fast Song, When You Thought You'd Never Stand Out.

Emery - These guys pretty much own the screamo scene. And it's no wonder why. They are flat out amazing.
Samples: The Ponytail Parades, Walls, Playing With Fire, What Makes A Man A Man.

He Is Legend - Well I really only like the CD "I Am Hollywood" but that CD makes up for all the rest of their stuff. One of the most fun and brilliant albums ever made in my opinion.
Sample: The Seduction, Eating A Book, I Am Hollywood.

Jimmy Eat World - These guys own the emo scene, great sounds, great lyrics, just an awesome band all over.
Samples: Hear You Me, 23, Dizzy

mewithoutYou - In my opinion the greatest band ever. Amazing music, The lyrics are so deep that I find something new almost every-time that I listen to them. Also one of the most unique sounds in modern music.
Samples: January 1979, Nice And Blue, In A Market Dimly Lit.

Mortal - Their album Nu-En-Jin is one of the most brilliant pieces of industrial rock ever made.
Samples: FMZ4, TeraFerma, Cl0udburst.

Norma Jean - These guys pretty much define chaos-core music. Totally rad.
Samples: The Shotgun Message, Memphis Will Be Laid To Waste, Cemetary Like A Stage.

Showbread - These guys ARE the "Raw Rock" genre. Every CD amazes me.
Samples: Age Of Reptiles - Dead By Dawn - If You Like Me Check Yes, If You Don't I'll Die.

Staple - Just plain amazing melodic metalcore.
Sample: Impressionable, Deathtrap Daisy, Gavels From Gun-barrels.

Stavesacre - Some of the most unique and best hard rock known to man.
Sample: Sundown Motel, Disquiet, Colt 45.

There's more but this'll do.
I am convinced that many men who preach the gospel and love the Lord are really misunderstood. People make a “profession,â€
That Dude

Postby Raiden no Kishi » Fri Jan 23, 2009 1:00 pm

Led Zeppelin: For classic hard rock, look no further. An excellent combination of skill and soul.
Recommended Songs: The Ocean, Heartbreaker, Nobody's Fault But Mine, Stairway to Heaven (obviously XD)

Muse: A great modern power trio. Excellent use of effects.
Recommended Songs: Hysteria, New Born, Supermassive Black Hole, Feeling Good, Knights of Cydonia, Time Is Running Out

Cream: A legendary blues-rock power trio. Eric Clapton on guitar and vocals.
Recommended Songs: Crossroads (cover), Sunshine of Your Love, Born Under a Bad Sign (cover), White Room, Strange Brew, Tales of Brave Ulysses

Jimi Hendrix: Needs no introduction.
Recommended Listening: Purple Haze, Voodoo Child (Slight Return), Spanish Castle Magic, Crosstown Traffic

Daft Punk: The only electronic group I listen to. They groove like crazy.
Recommended Listening: Harder Better Faster Stronger, Human After All, Short Circuit, Aerodynamic, Da Funk, Around the World/Harder Better Faster Stronger (Alive 2007)

The Beatles: Also need no introduction.
Recommended Songs: Come Together, Taxman, Hey Bulldog, Paperback Writer, Yesterday, Yellow Submarine, I Want You (She's So Heavy)

Joe Satriani: Guitar wizard extraordinaire. Taught guitar to no-names like Steve Vai and Kirk Hammet. ;D Schools the rest of us regularly.
Recommended Songs: Satch Boogie, Cool #9, Overdriver, House Full of Bullets, Professor Satchafunkilus, Super Colossal

Aerosmith: Another great hard rock band. Mind the lyrics - they get a bit raunchy in spots.
Recommended Songs: Sweet Emotion, Last Child, Dream On, The Grind, I'm Ready, Love in an Elevator

Velvet Revolver: Possibly one of the best-named rock bands ever. Get your post-GnR Slash fix here. Occasional language warning.
Recommended Songs: Slither, Dirty Little Thing, She Builds Quick Machines, Get Out the Door, Set Me Free, Come On Come In

The Eagles: Definitely a classic band. Timeless American rock n' roll.
Recommended Songs: Hotel California, Life in the Fast Lane, Get Over It, Witchy Woman, On The Border, Heartache Tonight

Queen: Queen is tons of fun. Possibly the best vocals in rock. Very distinctive and classic.
Recommended Songs: Bohemian Rhapsody, Stone Cold Crazy, Dragon Attack, Flick of the Wrist, Killer Queen, Tie Your Mother Down, Another One Bites the Dust, We Will Rock You/We Are the Champions

Rush: A classic prog-rock power trio. Very talented. Righteous bass lines.
Recommended Songs: YYZ, Tom Sawyer, La Villa Strangiato, Driven, The Spirit of Radio, The Temples of Syrinx, Working Man

Brian Setzer (incl. Brian Setzer Orchestra, '68 Comeback Special, Stray Cats): Excellent rockabilly/early rock/swing sound.
Recommended Songs: Rock This Town, Switchblade 327, Hollywood Nocturne, Jump Jive an' Wail, Luck Be a Lady (cover), Malaguena, Stray Cat Strut

Deep Purple: Classic hard rock. Excellent Hammond organ work. Great driving music (mind your speedometer, though ^_~).
Recommended songs: Smoke On the Water (duh), Demon's Eye, Space Truckin', Woman from Tokyo, Speed King, Highway Star, Burn, Black Night

The White Stripes: Minimalist blues-garage-rock sound. Loads of fun.
Recommended Songs: Seven Nation Army, Icky Thump, Catch Hell Blues, Blue Orchid, You Don't Know What Love Is (You Just Do As You're Told), Ball and Biscuit, Conquest

The Raconteurs: Features Jack White of The White Stripes. Alt-rock/power-pop is the best description I can come up with. Very fun.
Recommended Songs: Steady As She Goes, Store Bought Bones, Salute Your Solution, Level, Five on the Five, Consoler of the Lonely

That's who comes to mind presently.

.rai//
[raiden's liveJournal]

[color="Indigo"]"I believe whatever doesn't kill you simply makes you . . . stranger."[/color]

Strollin' in at dawn, wakin' up at noon's gonna catch up to me soon
'Just sleep when you're dead' is what I said 'cause I'm jumpin' off the moon
Raiden no Kishi

Location: Ticking away/The hours that make up the dull day . . .

Postby Radical Dreamer » Fri Jan 23, 2009 1:32 pm

That Dude (post: 1283555) wrote:Showbread - These guys are the "Raw Rock" genre. Every CD amazes me.
Samples: Age Of Reptiles - Dead By Dawn - If You Like Me Check Yes, If You Don't I'll Die.

Fixed. XDD

Anyways, my favorites...there are so many. XD

Anberlin: Excellent music that never gets old to me. XD They never write a bad album, and their lyrics are always great.
Favorites: The Haunting // Hello Alone // Glass to the Arson // Readyfuels

Showbread: See That Dude's post, but oh my gosh I love this band. XD They're so creative and bizarre and wonderful, their lyrics are full of truth and meaning, and their style is never stagnant. Raw rock kills. XD
Favorites: Mouth Like a Magazine // Stabbing Art to Death // Oh! Etemophobia // The Pig (A) // The Beginning (N)

mewithoutYou: Pretty much one of the best bands ever. A unique sound with extraordinary writing.
Favorites: The Soviet // Wolf Am I // In A Sweater Poorly Knit // A Glass Can Only Spill What It Contains // Paper Hangar

Thrice: Amazing, amazing, amazing. Very musically talented (Teppi FTW), and challenging lyrics that really make the band something more than "just another rock band."
Favorites: Daedalus // Artist in the Ambulance // Dust of Nations // Hold Fast Hope // The Earth Will Shake

Jimmy Eat World: Never, ever gets old. XD I assume I'll be listening to them well into my adulthood. XD
Favorites: A Praise Chorus // 23 // Lucky Denver Mint // Blister // Goodbye Sky Harbor // The World You Love // Futures

Five Iron Frenzy: Probably the best Christian ska band ever. I'm just sad I didn't find them until a year or two after they broke up. XD
Favorites: Every New Day // On Distant Shores // The Day We Killed // Juggernaut // Handbook for the Sellout

Brand New: Brand New pretty much improves with every CD. Each album has sounded completely different thus far, but all of them are incredible.
Favorites: Seventy Times Seven // You Won't Know // The Archer's Bows are Broken // The Quiet Things That No One Ever Knows // Jude Law and the Semester Abroad

The Dear Hunter: Amazing band. Their story, the way they tell their story, their music, their lyrics, all of it is top-notch.
Favorites: Dear Ms. Leading // Black Sandy Beaches // The Procession // The Lake and the River // City Escape

House of Heroes: A really excellent and talented band; I'm sad they don't get more recognition.
Favorites: Buckets for Bullet Wounds // Friday Night // Codename: Raven // Lose Control // Field of Daggers // Suicide Baby // Angels in Top Hats

There are a lot more, but that's all I have time to write/think of right now. XD Excellent stuff, though!
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby That Dude » Sat Jan 24, 2009 11:47 am

Hey I went in and fixed my post Corrie. And I noticed that some of the bands that I was thinking of putting on my list were on yours, the only ones from yours that I wouldn't add is The Dear Hunter, and Brand New...(Mainly because I've never actually listened to either.)
I am convinced that many men who preach the gospel and love the Lord are really misunderstood. People make a “profession,â€
That Dude

Postby Radical Dreamer » Sat Jan 24, 2009 12:46 pm

That Dude (post: 1283818) wrote:Hey I went in and fixed my post Corrie. And I noticed that some of the bands that I was thinking of putting on my list were on yours, the only ones from yours that I wouldn't add is The Dear Hunter, and Brand New...(Mainly because I've never actually listened to either.)

Hahaha, awesome! You should definitely check those two out sometime; they're both very different from one another, but they're both excellent. XD
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby That Dude » Sat Jan 24, 2009 1:02 pm

I'll check them out sometime.
That Dude

Postby Tarnish » Sat Jan 24, 2009 1:12 pm

The Shaggs: A very interesting, experimental sound that has me listening to it over, and over again. The lyrics are original, and imaginative, and the sound can only be decribed as "breathtaking".
Sample: My Pal Foot-Foot
Similar Artists: Yoko Ono, Jane's Addiction, demons
Tarnish

Postby animeantics » Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:18 pm

Hellogoodbye:Huzzah for Indie/Electronica!!!
Favorite Songs: Homewrecker, Here (In Your Arms), Figures A and Be (Means You And Me)

Paramore: Love Hayley Williams vocals!!
Favorite Songs: That's What You Get, Pressure.

Flyleaf: Great Christian Rock, great screaming, powerful lyrics.
Favorite Songs: I'm So Sick, All Around Me, Sorrow, Cassie, I'm Sorry.

Alice Nine: My Favorite Jrock band!!
Favorite Songs: Too many to list.

Skye Sweetnam: Very different. great, but some...er...bad content in some songs.
Favorite Songs: Cartoon, Ultra.

Oh, and alot of the indie/alt Fuled By Ramen bands, lol.
animeantics

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Thu Jan 29, 2009 7:41 am

Scarecrow (post: 1283510) wrote:And ya, I really like Through the Fire and the Flames too but overall I don't care for Dragonforce... and they suck live >.<

You know, almost everybody sucks live anyway. >_>

I thought of some more:

Skillet - Can't believe I forgot them! Their album Comatose is one of my favorite albums ever. They have such an intense sound, intense lyrics. Intense but beautiful, just how I like it. I like how their songs were obviously written from a Christian perspective, but non-Christians still like them.
Favorite song: Comatose

Eiffel 65 - Techno always gets dissed, but I love it. And Eiffel 65 does it the best, I think.
Favorite song: Hymn of the Eiffel

Crazy Frog - XD You either love it or you hate it. I, for one, find it hilarious.
Favorite song: Gummy Bear

Niyaz - I love Middle Eastern music, and Niyaz just hits the nail right on the head. Lovely sound, even when I don't know what they're saying.
Favorite song: Allah Hi Allah

Celtic Woman - A wonderful group of singers; they never fail to sing beautifully. And I love Mairead Nesbitt's fiddling <3
Favorite song: Over The Rainbow

Dmitri Shostakovich - Atonal, depressing, and at times immensely creepy, it's a wonder that anyone can like Shostakovich. But somehow...it just sounds so cool.
Favorite song: Quartet No. 8 "Allegro molto"
You can find out things about the past that you never knew. And from what you've learned, you may see some things differently in the present. You're the one that changes. Not the past.

"There's a difference between maliciously offending somebody - on purpose - and somebody being offended by...truth. If you're offended by the truth, that's your problem. I have no obligation to not offend you if I'm speaking the truth. The truth is supposed to offend you; that's how you know you don't got it."
- Brad Stine
the_wolfs_howl

Postby Scarecrow » Thu Jan 29, 2009 3:23 pm

the_wolfs_howl (post: 1285025) wrote:You know, almost everybody sucks live anyway. >_>

Maybe most of the ones you like :P (I kid, I kid)

But seriously, no they don't.... Most (all? I can't vouch for Wintersun and the new singer of Nightwish live isn't very good live... not when she's singing the old Nightwish songs anyway. But old Nightwish was awesome live too) of the bands I posted do not in fact suck live at all and tend to be better live. Kamelot is a personal favorite to watch live and who's live material far exceeds their studio albums, as awesome as those are (that's why I linked their Live videos over their studio tracks cause the studio tracks just don't do them justice. Roy Khan, lead singer, is fantastic live. Scroll up and click... THAT is how you play live)

Still, doesn't make their song any less awesome cause they can't play it live. Just generally don't care for them anyway. And I do prefer it if they can play live if it's a band I really like and generally prefer live perfomances/albums over the studio stuff 9/10.... nothing beats a good live performance. Unless they just suck live :D Then I'll take the studio album any day and wont even bother seeing them live.
Scarecrow

Postby Shiningmonk_e » Thu Jan 29, 2009 3:40 pm

Hmm... some more:
Disciple- Powerful lyrics with awesome music
example: 321

Staple-I just had to mention them
example: the day the blind revolted

Dead Poetic-just an amazing band alltogether
example: Self-destruct and Die

Maximum the Hormone-crazy awesome J-rock band
Example: Rei Rei Rei Rei Rei Rei Rei Rei Rei Rei Rei Rei Rei Rei Ma Ma Ma Ma Ma Ma Ma Ma Ma Ma Ma Ma Ma
"Who is this?" they said to Me
'That the wind and waves obey
Come, let's hang Him on a tree
That His reign should pass away'
But here I am I say to you
Though you turn away, it is My will
To love you for forevermore
Peace be still, peace be still
-Showbread-the Sky(alpha)
Shiningmonk_e

Postby Tommy » Thu Jan 29, 2009 4:59 pm

ThatDude wrote:The Chariot - These guys pretty much define chaos-core music. Totally rad.

Fixed. XDXD haha just kidding, man.

But seriously, as much as I like Norma Jean, everything before Redeemer was pretty much "Hey, we wanna be Botch."
Even though Bless the Martyr, Kiss the Child is still one of my favorite albums, it was blatant plagarism of Botch's style.
Moreso on O' God, the Aftermath.

But now that Botch is broken up, I'm gonna have to say The Chariot owns at chaos now. =D

Between the Buried and Me
Overall, my favorite band. Every album they've made has amazed me and I love every song they've ever done. The only album I don't consider perfect was their debut because Tommy's vocals weren't exactly top notch at the time, but the clean singing was better on that album than any other so it balanced out quite well.
Sample Song: "Selkies: The Endless Obsession"
Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=19UZd_DKs2Q&feature=related

Underoath
While I am more fond of their metal roots (Cries of the Past only. Act of Depression was sloppy, repetitive, and annoying. Okay, but not Underoath good), their new stuff definitely stands tall in a genre that tends to be filled with generic filth.
Good representation of Metal Roots: "The Last"
Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J82lPsWA1v4
Good representation of new style: "In Regards to Myself"
Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDRmbQLftLw

Thrice
Thrice is one of the bands that hugely got me into music.
They began as a mediocre pop punk band consisting of kids fresh out of high school and evolved into something so amazing. Dustin Kenrue still remains one of my biggest heroes of music.
Really Old Thrice: "T & C"
Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ynP7xnEg01U
Middle era Thrice: "Stare At the Sun"
Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IDzl6ZQpSOo
Current Thrice: "Come All You Weary"
Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJuUkPz7sZw

Showbread
I know I'm not the first to mention these guys.
While my first impression was, "Wow...these guys ripped of Refused", I've learned to like them more than Refused.
I own all of their albums. Goodbye is Forever, Life Kisses and Other Wasted Efforts, No Sir, Nihilism is Not Practical[/i], Age of Reptiles, and Anorexia Nervosa.
I'm sure everyone here knows them for the most part. XD
Yes, they ARE raw rock.

Isis
Right now, they are the kings of Massachusetts Metal. 'Nuff said.
Song: "Holy Tears"
Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWjhxnVcmgg

I have SOOOO many more I'd like to mention, but I'll take a break for now.
FKA Tom Dincht

Check out my band if you've got the time.
http://encompass1.bandcamp.com/
Tommy

Postby Kkun » Thu Jan 29, 2009 5:27 pm

Five Iron Frenzy - my youth.

mewithoutYou - What can be said that hasn't already been said in this thread?

Showbread - See above.

Blindside - I want to copy what Dude said.

The Chariot - Josh Scogin is a master showman and sweats stage presence.

Saves the Day - This band is one of those bands that basically defined what has been incorrectly labeled as emo for the past ten years or so. Chris Conley rules.

Switchfoot - Jon Foreman understands humanity in a way most people don't.

Brand New - Jesse Lacey is quite possibly one of the most talented lyricists in rock music. Also, Deja Entendu is perfect from start to finish.

Say Anything - Every man has a Molly. Your Molly may not be identical to Max Bemis' Molly, but it's true.

Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds - The cost to get Nick Cave to do a soundtrack? Probably a lot. The cost to get your entire band off of heroin at the same time? Probably more. Being Nick Cave? Priceless.
I'm a shoe-in for hater of the year.
Kkun

Postby Tommy » Sun Feb 01, 2009 10:50 am

Kkun (post: 1285251) wrote:The cost to get Nick Cave to do a soundtrack? Probably a lot. The cost to get your entire band off of heroin at the same time? Probably more. Being Nick Cave? Priceless.

This.
FKA Tom Dincht

Tommy

Postby Scarecrow » Sun Feb 01, 2009 3:01 pm

You know I can't believe I forgot to mention Rob Rock. I've been playing him a lot lately too. Rob Rock is like an awesome melodic/power metal artist and also happens to be a very cool Christian. I love his lyrics cause they're obviously faith based an all but they arent forcing his beliefs on you like a lot of other power/melodic metal Christian artists. (not that what they say isn't true, its just, the structure of the song is kind of more like singing a paragraph rather than a typical song structure. And then they tend to really pound you over the head with "Turn or burn" type songs)

Anyway, ya Rob Rock is awesome. My two favorite songs by him right now are Calling Angels and I'm A Warrior
Scarecrow

Postby That Dude » Sun Feb 01, 2009 6:03 pm

Shiningmonk_e (post:) wrote:Dead Poetic-just an amazing band alltogether
example: Self-destruct and Die

These guys are ones that I forgot to put on the list...
That Dude

Postby Kkun » Sun Feb 01, 2009 6:10 pm

I totally forgot The Blood Brothers and Weezer. The Blood Brothers were an amazing indie punk rock outfit from Seattle and Weezer is Weezer.
Kkun

Postby That Dude » Mon Feb 02, 2009 3:55 pm

My list, Pt. 2

Dead Poetic - Great Vocals, lyrics, musicianship. Just good screamo/hard rock.
Examples - Four Wall Blackmail, Glass In The Trees, Taste The Red Hands, Paralytic.

Thursday: Never has a band that has a lead singer who can't really sing well sounded so captivating and awesome, I dare you not to like them if you are into the "screamo" scene.
Example:Tomorrow I'll Be You, Running From The Rain, Understanding In A Car Crash.

Five Iron Frenzy: Honestly I don't even need to say anything.

Slow Coming Day: Really depressing but beautiful rock music. Every song is a work of art.
Example: Police And Paramedics, Tight Wire And Cold Hands, Family Ties.

Part three shall be coming soon....
That Dude

Postby Tommy » Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:25 am

That Dude (post: 1286110) wrote:Thursday: Never has a band that has a lead singer who can't really sing well sounded so captivating and awesome

Josh Dies.

That is all.
FKA Tom Dincht

Tommy

Postby That Dude » Tue Feb 03, 2009 12:18 pm

Tommy (post: 1286255) wrote:Josh Dies. That is all.

But Josh Dies can sing well. That's why I didn't say that about him.
That Dude

Postby GhostontheNet » Tue Feb 03, 2009 12:25 pm

Ok, because I'm too lazy to type up a whole bunch of stuff about how completely fabulous my music is, here's my top 25 favorite bands without any further commentary or explanation:

Leper
Skinny Puppy
The Awakening
Scarlet's Remains
The Sisters Of Mercy
Dead Artist Syndrome
Bauhaus
Front Line Assembly
Siouxsie & The Banshees
Clan Of Xymox
Lycia
Batzz In The Belfry
Faith & The Muse
All Gone Dead
The Cure
Bella Morte
Frank the Baptist
Switchblade Symphony
Joy Division
Joy Electric
David Bowie
Public Image Ltd.
Talking Heads
The Echoing Green
The Future Sound Of London
GhostontheNet

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Fri Feb 06, 2009 7:24 am

My favorite soundtrack composers:

Howard Shore (Lord of the Rings)

John Williams (Star Wars, Harry Potter, tons of other things)

James Newton Howard (M. Night Shyamalan movies)

Hans Zimmer (The Last Samurai)

Michiru Oshima (FMA, Ico)

Ko Otani (Haibane Renmei, Shadow of the Colossus)

- Brad Stine
the_wolfs_howl

Postby rocklobster » Fri Feb 06, 2009 7:20 pm

My faves:
AC/DC
Aerosmith
B-52s
Eagles
Huey Lewis and the News
Nirvana
Casting Crowns
Newsboys
Third Day
Duran Duran
Def Leppard
ZZ Top
MC Hammer
DC Talk
Red Hot Chili Peppers
Soundgarden
INXS
Chris Tomlin
Genesis (all the members)
Journey
Led Zeppelin
I'll post some links to videoes in another post.
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."
--Jeremiah 1:5
Hit me up on social media!
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007205508246<--Facebook

I'm also on Amino as Radical Edward, and on Reddit as Rocklobster as well.

click here for my playlist!
my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby Blitzkrieg1701 » Sat Feb 07, 2009 12:30 pm

First off, props to The Liar XIII and Raiden no Kishi for some excellent choices, and Tarnish gets a cookie for having even HEARD of The Shaggs. As for me...

The Beatles Kind of a cop out, but they're still my favorite band in any era.
"She Loves You" "Paperback Writer" "She Said She Said"

The Apples (in stereo) Most people probably know them just as "that band that did that one Powerpuff Girls song" if they even know then at all. It's a shame, man, because this is indie-pop at it's finest.
"Signal in the Sky (Let's Go!)" "Submarine Dream" "High Tide"

Pink Floyd This kind of counts as two choices, because I have an equal, independent love for their brief, Syd Barrett-led period and their more familiar album rock incarnation.
Barrett era: "Arnold Layne" "Matilda Mother" "See Emily Play"
Post-Barrett: "The Great Gig in the Sky" "One of These Days" "Burning Bridges"

of Montreal Kevin Barnes has really gone of the deep end this past year or so, but these indie kings still have a great body of work in spite of the recent, sucky albums.
"Disconnect the Dots" "Everyday Feels Like Sunday" "Requiem for O.M.M.2"

The Monkees Yeah, I know, the original prefabricated pop band. So what? They still put out more awesome songs and most "real" bands could ever dream of.
"Pleasant Valley Sunday" "The Porpoise Song" "For Pete's Sake"

Puffy AmiYumi ..and these gals are even MORE blatantly manufactured, but they've done too many wildly catchy songs for me to not love 'em (though I don't support trying to break into the US market by sounding like Avril Lavigne).
"Kore ga Watashi no Ikiru Michi" "Aoi Namida" "December"

The Doors Talk about a change of pace. I must confess to not liking Jim Morrison all that much, I stick around for Ray Manzarek and Robby Krieger's musical chops.
"Strange Days" "I Can't See Your Face in My Mind" "The Crystal Ship"

...and I'm just gonna stop myself here, because I could easily go on all day if you let me.
Image Image

[font="Book Antiqua"][color="Purple"]For the love of Christ controls us, having concluded this: that one died for all, therefore all died; and he that died for all, so that they who live might no longer live for themselves, but for Him who died and rose again on their behalf. II Corinthians 5:14-15[/color][/font]
Blitzkrieg1701

Location: Washington, DC (when I'm not in an alternate universe)

Postby Kkun » Sat Feb 07, 2009 12:40 pm

the_wolfs_howl (post: 1285025) wrote:You know, almost everybody sucks live anyway. >_>

What the heck kind of music do you listen to? The bands I listed are all great live.
Kkun

Postby Tommy » Sat Feb 07, 2009 1:00 pm

That Dude (post: 1286264) wrote:But Josh Dies can sing well. That's why I didn't say that about him.

No.
It seems from his music that he doesn't know how to sing well, but his voice sounds cool.
FKA Tom Dincht

Tommy

Next

Return to Jam Session