What Manga are you reading?

Post about anime's sister, manga in here. Manga reviews accepted in here as well.

Postby ich1990 » Fri Jan 02, 2009 11:39 pm

Fullmetal Alchmist volume 21 and current chapters

Stray Dog oneshot
It was pretty cool, but there is only so much you can do with one chapter and it tried to tackle an awful lot.

Souten no Koumori oneshot
Worse story, better fighting, more violence and nudity.

Demons of Shanghai oneshot
Comedy with a little fighting thrown in. Funny in a very FMA sense.
Where an Eidolon, named night, on a black throne reigns upright.
ich1990

Postby Fish and Chips » Sat Jan 03, 2009 6:22 pm

Blade of the Immortal vol. 20
Lone Wolf and Cub vol. 8-10

You know I think I have a soft spot in my heart for some good chanbara. Think these are the only two Manga of that type that I'm reading right now, so I'll have to find some new ones when I finish. Anyway, more plot is surfacing in Lone Wolf and Cub than I had thought, so now things get fun.
ich1990 (post: 1279441) wrote:Stray Dog oneshot
It was pretty cool, but there is only so much you can do with one chapter and it tried to tackle an awful lot.

Souten no Koumori oneshot
Worse story, better fighting, more violence and nudity.

Demons of Shanghai oneshot
Comedy with a little fighting thrown in. Funny in a very FMA sense.
Interesting. I tend to prefer Bat in a Blue Sky (Souten) over Stray Dog, but my memory of both is hazy since I lost them when I had to wipe my one shot collection. I think Bat has the better story though, though it is pretty simple and straightforward. Better execution then. Stray Dog does show some early signs of Arakawa's brilliance in planning action scenes though.

Demons of Shanghai is great and I wish Arakawa did something more with it.
Fish and Chips

Postby ich1990 » Sun Jan 04, 2009 2:51 pm

Fish and Chips (post: 1279529) wrote:Interesting. I tend to prefer Bat in a Blue Sky (Souten) over Stray Dog, but my memory of both is hazy since I lost them when I had to wipe my one shot collection. I think Bat has the better story though, though it is pretty simple and straightforward. Better execution then. Stray Dog does show some early signs of Arakawa's brilliance in planning action scenes though.

Demons of Shanghai is great and I wish Arakawa did something more with it.

The reason I say that Bat has a worse story is because it has been done so many times.

"The assassin decides to give up his killing ways and finds a nice home to settle down in. The bad guys, however, track him down and try to to tie up this dangerous loose end. The assassin refuses to fight, of course, until his loved ones are threatened. Then, he must call upon his killing ways to save them."

Despite its unoriginality, I like Bat better. It has some awesome fight scenes and seems better laid out. Stray Dog had cool ideas, but it felt very cramped. Also, the fighting was quite rushed and compact.
Where an Eidolon, named night, on a black throne reigns upright.
ich1990

Postby animewarrior » Sun Jan 04, 2009 2:54 pm

Currently -
+Anima Vol.6
Black Cat Vol.16
Macbeth (manga shakespeare)
Any Shojo Beat issue I can get my hands on (currently have the Jan'08 issue on the go)
~ The fainter the heartbeat the stronger the soul~

*They're just an incomplete group of people wishing to be whole; and to that end, they're desperately searching for something.* - Namine (Kingdom Hearts 2)
animewarrior

Postby yukoxholic » Sun Jan 04, 2009 3:08 pm

Princess Ai: The Prism of Midnight Dawn.
yukoxholic

Postby MasterDias » Sun Jan 04, 2009 6:23 pm

ich1990 (post: 1279672) wrote:The reason I say that Bat has a worse story is because it has been done so many times.

"The assassin decides to give up his killing ways and finds a nice home to settle down in. The bad guys, however, track him down and try to to tie up this dangerous loose end. The assassin refuses to fight, of course, until his loved ones are threatened. Then, he must call upon his killing ways to save them."

Despite its unoriginality, I like Bat better. It has some awesome fight scenes and seems better laid out. Stray Dog had cool ideas, but it felt very cramped. Also, the fighting was quite rushed and compact.

Keep in mind that Stray Dog was like her first work ever, so many of the issues are due to inexperience.

I also like Bat better. It has a cool protagonist and setting. I wouldn't mind if she ever decided to make a serial based on this.

I don't believe I've read Demons of Shanghai.
-----------------------------------------
"Always seek to do good to one another and to all."
1 Thessalonians 5:15

"Every story must have an ending." - Auron - Final Fantasy X

"A small stone may make a ripple at first, but someday it will be a wave." - Wiegraf - Final Fantasy Tactics
MasterDias

Postby Puguni » Mon Jan 05, 2009 11:13 am

Tegami Bachi 23,24

I love this series dearly and I was excited to see that there were two chapters. Unfortunately, it left off at a cliffhanger. :C I want to know what happens.
Puguni

Location: In a place where I can wonder why good grammar doesn't apply on the internet.

Postby uc pseudonym » Mon Jan 05, 2009 1:36 pm

Kurozuka Volumes 1-4

I've always been one to go for narratives over long periods of time, ideas about immortality, and stories that begin in a fragmented manner. This one, however, takes too long to become consistent and I honestly didn't care about anyone for quite some time since things shifted so frequently. It is nice to see characters shut up and fight in interesting ways, though.

Since I know some people use this thread for general recommendations, I should point out that this series has a high degree of content, both in the gratuitous nudity manner and in the intestines getting ripped out with bare hands manner.
uc pseudonym

Postby minakichan » Tue Jan 06, 2009 5:23 am

Barack Obama has showed up and actually done something! I had figured he was thrown in for no good reason.

I am actually thinking of picking Air Gear up again(again, as in after the first 2 chapters-- surprising how I'd so quickly drop a series with such hot girls) JUST for John Obama-ha.

Akumetsu, some number of chapters.

Justice doesn't work that way. Will comment more when I've read more. But his mask is AWESOME. I'm going to try to make one.
ImageImage
minakichan

Postby KeybladeWarrior » Fri Jan 09, 2009 9:58 pm

Finished: Dragon Drive volume 7

Now I am trying to finishe up Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney: Offical Casebook vol. 1 and Black Jack volume 1(glad they are bringing more of the chapters to the States).
@)}~`,~ Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks, To All
The CAA Moderators.

"YEAH TOAST! TOCAA!"
KeybladeWarrior

Postby GhostontheNet » Sat Jan 10, 2009 6:45 pm

Trinity Blood Vol. I
GhostontheNet

Postby m12specops » Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:10 pm

I read naruto, bleach, and BLAME!... and I finished BLAME! like 3 months ago (yeah I'm a pretty conservative reader)
m12specops

Postby Puguni » Wed Jan 21, 2009 5:17 pm

Fairy Tail 119. I would like to see a cosplay of Mistgun.
Puguni

Location: In a place where I can wonder why good grammar doesn't apply on the internet.

Postby uc pseudonym » Thu Jan 22, 2009 1:55 pm

Puguni wrote:Fairy Tail 119. I would like to see a cosplay of Mistgun.

It's too bad that the Laws of Shonen indicate he's going to lose. The main character hasn't gotten a fight yet this arc and there's no one else for him to fight (unless he'll do a rehash if a certain other character is actually evil). Maybe Mashima Hiro will do something unusual, but he doesn't have a record of it.

...though Mistgun actually talked for a while in 119 and I don't hate him yet. That's something.
uc pseudonym

Postby Phantom_Sorano » Thu Jan 22, 2009 6:42 pm

Tsubasa Reservior Chronicles volume 19

This is by far the most preplexing manga I have ever read.....
Jeremiah 29:11-"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord,"plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."
"All the world's a stage and all the men and women merely players; they have their entrances and their exits and one man in his time plays many parts."-Will Shakespeare
@)}~ carry this rose in your sig, as thanks, to all the CAA Moderators
Phantom_Sorano

Postby Shao Feng-Li » Thu Jan 22, 2009 9:03 pm

Kamichama Karin :D

Got 3 volumes from the library. I haven't read a new manga in months D:
Shao Feng-Li

Postby Fish and Chips » Tue Jan 27, 2009 2:04 pm

Deadman Wonderland vol. 5
FullMetal Alchemist vol. 22

Deadman Wonderland is now officially disappointing. I'm tempted to just put the series to sleep and forget about it, but I'll try to stick with it a bit longer. When something I "Called" and actually nearly wanted to happen happens and makes me wish it didn't, that's pretty bad.

At least I have FMA to make me feel better. Things are heating up nicely for the final couple volumes.
Fish and Chips

Postby minakichan » Tue Jan 27, 2009 2:43 pm

Things are heating up nicely for the final couple volumes.

Really?ohnoes!

I should get around and actually catch up on it. To avoid Anony-chan's wrath.
ImageImage
minakichan

Postby animeantics » Tue Jan 27, 2009 2:48 pm

I'm about to start Full Metal Alchemist v. 9.
animeantics

Postby Puguni » Tue Jan 27, 2009 6:13 pm

So I've been following this manga Toriko. Every time it comes it, I can't not read it because it's so bizarre. It surrounds this whole society on obtaining and eating quality food. Like, super amazing quality food that might give a better high than drugs. I think I secretly live for those montages devoted to eating, but I think my most favorite part is when Toriko start smoking a branch from a Cigarette tree.
Puguni

Postby minakichan » Wed Jan 28, 2009 3:22 pm

Post-vacation catchups:

Bakuman
This is getting pretty awesome. I'm really falling in love with Obata's Bakuman style.

Deadman Wonderland
So violent, but so gorgeous! I just can't look away from it. The rendering is genius.

Kami no Shizuku
Kind of boring, but the art style is really nice.

Fairy Tail
Finally starting to pick up. This arc had a lot of potential that was never tapped.

Kaichou wa Maid-sama!
Less tragic past, more humorous romantic antics please.

Koukou Debut
As funny as ever. I don't want it to end!
ImageImage
minakichan

Postby animeantics » Wed Jan 28, 2009 4:35 pm

I'm currently reading Full Metal Alchemist. I NEED VOLUME 13!!!

I'm about to start Beauty Pop...
animeantics

Postby blkmage » Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:24 pm

Mirai Nikki 37:
[spoiler]So Yuki didn't become quite as awesome as we all thought, although the reveal was kind of cute. At least he's using every tool in the box (read Yuno) now without crying about it. Also, I thought Yuno scripting everything, including her own conversation, was kind of funny.[/spoiler]
Also, he needs to get some pants. Those shorts are :|
blkmage

Postby RobinSena » Wed Jan 28, 2009 8:36 pm

Last night I read Vampire Knight volume four. I'm definitely enjoying this series, but I'm not sure when I'll be able to get my hands on the next volume. =/
FKA: ChurchPunk[SIZE="1"]
MOES: Sig. Or sig not. There is no scroll.
[/SIZE]
RobinSena

Postby Puguni » Wed Jan 28, 2009 8:51 pm

What. That was my response to Fairy Tail 120. How do you feel about Mistgun now, UC?
Puguni

Postby uc pseudonym » Thu Jan 29, 2009 1:43 pm

The Legend of Maian Volume 1

Not tremendously interesting, but I have to note that one or two artistic styles have a stranglehold on Korea.

Puguni wrote:What. That was my response to Fairy Tail 120. How do you feel about Mistgun now, UC?

When the chapter came out I was seriously debating whether just the following would be too weak of a post:
Mistgun
The only decent character in Fairy Tail
Chapters 24-119
Rest in Peace
uc pseudonym

Postby KeybladeWarrior » Sun Feb 01, 2009 12:20 am

GinTama volume 10

Black Jack volume 2
@)}~`,~ Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks, To All
The CAA Moderators.

"YEAH TOAST! TOCAA!"
KeybladeWarrior

Postby Puguni » Sun Feb 01, 2009 10:24 am

Read the latest Reborn! chapter. Seriously, this is my crack manga; I'm not really sure what to think of it, but I just keep reading it. Amano Akira just keeps adding more and more characters to the bunch. It's clear she likes her characters too much, as none of ever die, lol.
Puguni

Postby Phantom_Sorano » Mon Feb 02, 2009 2:00 pm

Death Note Vol.1

My friend told me to read it...but it seems rather...."un Christian".....If anyone has read into it, please pm me and give me a heads-up if anything "bad" happens....thx
Jeremiah 29:11-"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord,"plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."
"All the world's a stage and all the men and women merely players; they have their entrances and their exits and one man in his time plays many parts."-Will Shakespeare
@)}~ carry this rose in your sig, as thanks, to all the CAA Moderators
Phantom_Sorano

Postby ST. Attidude » Wed Feb 04, 2009 12:34 pm

I'm about to read Rurouni Kenshin vol. 9! :)
[color="Magenta"]@[/color][color="Red"])}[/color][color="DarkGreen"]~[/color][color="Green"]`,[/color][color="Lime"]~[/color] [color="LightBlue"]Carry This Rose In Your Sig, [color="Red"]As Thanks,[/color] [color="LightBlue"]To All The CAA Moderators[/color][/color]
______
[color="Navy"]ST[/color][color="Blue"].[/color][color="RoyalBlue"] Attidude's[/color][color="DeepSkyBlue"].[/color][color="LightBlue"].[/color].Portfolio Site, Twitter,
DeviantArt page
ST. Attidude

Previous Next

Return to Manga and Manga Reviews