What Manga are you reading?

Post about anime's sister, manga in here. Manga reviews accepted in here as well.

Postby RobinSena » Wed Dec 03, 2008 9:16 am

Volumes 1 and 2 and Vampire Knight. I have to say, I'm loving this series, and the art is awesome.
FKA: ChurchPunk[SIZE="1"]
MOES: Sig. Or sig not. There is no scroll.
[/SIZE]
RobinSena

Postby minakichan » Wed Dec 03, 2008 12:17 pm

Caught up on scanlations of Spiral ~ Suiri no Kizuna.

Fate Will Hate Love Death Life Darkness Light Devil God Clone Duality Morality Personality Desolation Hope Hope Hope-ity Hope Fate-y Fate Fate Hope.

I have just told you everything you need to know about this series.

It's about as profound as the 2008 Presidential Election. Take that as you will.
ImageImage
minakichan

Postby KagayakiWashi » Thu Dec 04, 2008 11:01 am

I just finished Akira Volume 2, Gunblaze West Volume 3, and Sgt. Frog Volume 2. So now it's on to Akira Volume 2 and Sgt Frog Volume 3.
"To be a good listener, you must acquire a musical culture...you must be familiar with the history and development of music, you must listen...to receive music you have to open your ears and wait for the music, you must believe that it is something you need ...to listen is an effort, and just to hear has no merit. A duck hears also." - Igor Stravinsky
Are you hurting? Struggling with something? Need an ear? Check out The Hopeline! https://www.thehopeline.com/CSDefault.aspx
The Blog! http://kagayakiwashi.livejournal.com/
KagayakiWashi

Location: Constantly chasing the dragonfly of love....or something like that

Postby animeantics » Thu Dec 04, 2008 11:39 am

I waiting on Naruto volume 14. I wish my Library would get it in already.
animeantics

Postby Fish and Chips » Thu Dec 04, 2008 1:30 pm

Vagabond vol. 1-3

Fictionalized biography of Musashi Miyamoto. Art is kinda stilted in some scenes, but otherwise a welcome break from the usual mainstream Manga style. And of course, it's Musashi. How can you not enjoy reading about Musashi?
Fish and Chips

Postby uc pseudonym » Thu Dec 04, 2008 1:52 pm

Doubt Volume 4

This series has almost entirely lost my interest. I continue to read only because the end and theoretically resolution seems imminent.

Fish and Chips wrote:How can you not enjoy reading about Musashi?

One volume will end with two major characters about to fight. A lot of facing off and flashbacks later, the next volume will also end with them about to fight. Look forward to it.
uc pseudonym

Postby blkmage » Thu Dec 04, 2008 6:19 pm

Took a look at the first few chapters of Saki. It's a manga about girls playing mahjong.
blkmage

Postby minakichan » Thu Dec 11, 2008 8:43 am

Took a look at the first few chapters of Saki. It's a manga about girls playing mahjong.

Ooh, I GOTTA read that.

Saijou no Meii.

This is... Yakitate! Japan... with pediatric surgery. I'm seriously expecting there to be televised tournament battles and that surgery patients will wake up with crazy reactions based on Japanese puns.

Manager: "Pediatric surgery number 56!"

President Kenneby and John Bobkins Hospital... PFFFT.

It's cool that Hashiguchi-sensei wants to write a manga to encourage people to become pediatric surgeons though!

And of course,

Axis Powers Hetalia

SEALAND-KUUUN!
ImageImage
minakichan

Postby Song_of_Storms » Thu Dec 11, 2008 2:14 pm

[SIZE="1"]Millenium Snow, vol. 1[/SIZE]
ImageImage ImageImageImage
Song_of_Storms

Postby yukoxholic » Mon Dec 15, 2008 10:53 am

Papillon and re-reading X-Day.
yukoxholic

Postby Raiden no Kishi » Mon Dec 15, 2008 11:16 am

Bakuman 14.

.rai//
[raiden's liveJournal]

[color="Indigo"]"I believe whatever doesn't kill you simply makes you . . . stranger."[/color]

Strollin' in at dawn, wakin' up at noon's gonna catch up to me soon
'Just sleep when you're dead' is what I said 'cause I'm jumpin' off the moon
Raiden no Kishi

Location: Ticking away/The hours that make up the dull day . . .

Postby blkmage » Mon Dec 15, 2008 8:22 pm

In finishing the woefully short Kure-nai anime and wanting more, I've begun to delve into the manga, which is different from the anime so far.
blkmage

Postby Akikaze » Tue Dec 16, 2008 2:52 pm

Rurouni Kenshin volume 4
DN angel volume 3
xxxHolic volume 1
20th Century Boys volume 2
"For every minute you are angry you lose sixty seconds of happiness."
— Ralph Waldo Emerson
Akikaze

Postby ich1990 » Thu Dec 18, 2008 9:14 pm

Fullmetal Alchemist volumes 10-14

And things are still happening. I can honestly say that I do not dislike any of the characters. Amazing. Even Ling and Envy have had...... significant developments and are cool now.
Where an Eidolon, named night, on a black throne reigns upright.
ich1990

Postby uc pseudonym » Fri Dec 19, 2008 1:31 pm

Akumetsu Volume 8

I keep reading this series because it's a shonen series about Japan's economy. That seems too unusual to miss, somehow. However, I have quickly become frustrated by how the series handles its main character and his quest. It lacks realism: I honestly don't think that society and most individual would react the way they do in this series, and their actions strike me as the world bending over backwards to accommodate the author's agenda. If there hadn't been a note early on mentioning that the author didn't mean to vindicate his protagonist, I would have dropped it long ago.
uc pseudonym

Postby minakichan » Fri Dec 19, 2008 8:56 pm

I keep reading this series because it's a shonen series about Japan's economy.

You do realize that this sentence alone spurs me to go read it, and I'm totally paying no mind to any subsequent comments about its lack of realism.
ImageImage
minakichan

Postby ich1990 » Fri Dec 19, 2008 10:10 pm

Fullmetal Alchemist volumes 15-17

Eight volumes in two days. Yes, I am officially on break. Also, the Briggs Mountains and its inhabitants remind me of deer hunting in northern Michigan with my relatives.
ich1990

Postby Fish and Chips » Sat Dec 20, 2008 1:57 pm

ich1990 (post: 1276774) wrote:Fullmetal Alchemist volumes 15-17

Eight volumes in two days. Yes, I am officially on break. Also, the Briggs Mountains and its inhabitants remind me of deer hunting in northern Michigan with my relatives.
You have awesome relatives?

The Briggs arc is weird. After 15 volumes of the same core cast, introducing a bunch of new characters in volume 16 felt really expendible to me. But in a couple chapters they grew on me, so I didn't really mind. Now when I go to pick up my copy of volume 16 or 17, I like them from page one.

Arakawa has always had a nack for introducing new characters. More Mangaka should probably study her style.
Fish and Chips

Postby ich1990 » Sat Dec 20, 2008 3:23 pm

Fish and Chips (post: 1276840) wrote:You have awesome relatives?

Yes, the whole building-an-army-of-tanks-in-the-basement thing is right up their alley.

Fish and Chips wrote:The Briggs arc is weird. After 15 volumes of the same core cast, introducing a bunch of new characters in volume 16 felt really expendible to me. But in a couple chapters they grew on me, so I didn't really mind. Now when I go to pick up my copy of volume 16 or 17, I like them from page one.

Just the other day I was thinking "you know what, FMA probably has just as many characters as Bleach". And yet, I can remember almost all of the FMA character names while I have to look up the Bleach ones.

The shift to Briggs was much too sudden in my opinion. After spending the last who knows how many volumes at or around central, a large batch of major characters spontaneously decide that they need to head North at the exact same time. While they do have logical reasons for doing so, it seems a bit contrived.

I like the new characters though. After recently reading about the Ishbalan extermination campaign, I especially liked the inclusion of a mixed-race character. It made the civil war seem all the more real by showing how the events of the past (genocide) are having a direct effect on the present (racism).

Fish and Chips wrote:Arakawa has always had a nack for introducing new characters. More Mangaka should probably study her style.

I have been extremely impressed with the series so far. She has done an excellent job of managing so many characters and knowing when it is appropriate to introduce more.
ich1990

Postby uc pseudonym » Sat Dec 20, 2008 3:36 pm

minakichan wrote:You do realize that this sentence alone spurs me to go read it, and I'm totally paying no mind to any subsequent comments about its lack of realism.

Yeah, it's a title for someone who likes unorthodox series. Give it a few volumes, though. The first chapters are out of sync with the rest of the series - I think this is to generate popularity before the author launches into his lengthy opinions about investment banking.
uc pseudonym

Postby initialdfreak » Sat Dec 20, 2008 7:05 pm

Hidamari Sketch! its pretty good. I want to get SS Astro too asap
initialdfreak

Postby blkmage » Tue Dec 23, 2008 4:52 pm

Read Tomoyo After: Dear Shining Memories, a four-chapter manga adaptation of the visual novel Tomoyo After: It's a Wonderful Life.

Tomoyo After is an alternate timeline that branches off from Clannad. Instead of ending up with Nagisa in After Story, Tomoya ends up with Tomoyo. While the visual novel is told from the perspective of Tomoya, the manga takes place from Tomoyo's perspective.
blkmage

Postby uc pseudonym » Fri Dec 26, 2008 4:41 pm

Metroid Volume 3 (finished)

Not bad overall, rather good for an adaptation manga.

Biomeat Nectar Volumes 10-12

Reading a large section over Christmas break. The fourth major arc continues, but by this point I think I've seen all the series has to offer. Competent horror, just nothing that hasn't been done before. I'll keep reading for the characters and the non-horror action.
uc pseudonym

Postby eternalprincess » Sat Dec 27, 2008 8:39 am

Emma Vol 1

@)}~ carry this rose in your sig, as thanks, to all the CAA Moderators
eternalprincess

Location: Texas: Sitting at the computer writing, and explaining anime to someone who found out I'm into it.

Postby blkmage » Sat Dec 27, 2008 6:47 pm

For anyone who's following Mirai Nikki, chapter 36 does not fail to deliver. It's probably the chapter you've been waiting for.
blkmage

Postby uc pseudonym » Mon Dec 29, 2008 3:38 pm

Biomeat Nectar Complete

Not that amazing overall, never going beyond basic horror into the deeper psychological issues that it occasionally hinted. Not a waste of my time overall, I guess. However, this is one of the few manga I've read with characters from multiple countries and races where I don't get a sense of ethnocentrism.

Air Gear 226

Barack Obama has showed up and actually done something! I had figured he was thrown in for no good reason.

blkmage wrote:For anyone who's following Mirai Nikki, chapter 36 does not fail to deliver. It's probably the chapter you've been waiting for.

I was initially skeptical, because I think Mirai Nikki does a terrible job of transitions. But I was pleasantly surprised. I had always disliked the problems in the central relationship, but now that they're both homicidal everything should be good. I expect good things from the rest of the series.
uc pseudonym

Postby Monkey J. Luffy » Mon Dec 29, 2008 9:27 pm

I just finished the FLCL manga. and I once thought that the show was weird... this makes the show look more normal then an episode of Dragon Ball Z.
Also add Bo-BOBO 1 to my list. It actually continues off from the manga published a few years back...
Monkey J. Luffy

Postby RobinSena » Tue Dec 30, 2008 3:04 pm

I read volume three of Vampire Knight last night.
FKA: ChurchPunk[SIZE="1"]
MOES: Sig. Or sig not. There is no scroll.
[/SIZE]
RobinSena

Postby GhostontheNet » Tue Dec 30, 2008 4:08 pm

Emma vol. 2.
GhostontheNet

Postby ich1990 » Tue Dec 30, 2008 9:54 pm

Fullmetal Alchemist volumes 18-20

How is it that she can include a major plot revelation in almost every single volume? It is like watching "Lost" except that FMA makes sense.
ich1990

Previous Next

Return to Manga and Manga Reviews