What Manga are you reading?

Post about anime's sister, manga in here. Manga reviews accepted in here as well.

Postby FukuokaGirl » Wed Jul 02, 2008 1:21 am

I took a break from Bleach because I wanted to be surprised when watching the anime... however, with the new filler arc, I've cracked and have gone back to it!

Also...I just finished reading Ceres for the second time!!!! XD
<333

Since I just am absolutely hooked on the live action dorama of Absolute Boyfriend, I've decided to go ahead and read the manga now too. Zettai Kareshi by Watase Yuu.
"They do exist, the places you can live renewed." -Nobuta wo Produce
[align=left]ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

[align=center]思い出せば遙か遙か 未来はどこまでも輝いてた きれいな青空の下で 僕らは少しだけ怯えていた

[/align]
[/align]
[size=75]

[/SIZE]
FukuokaGirl

Postby jon_jinn » Wed Jul 02, 2008 12:08 pm

Fish and Chips (post: 1241008) wrote:Berserk vol. 1-3

I did it. I cracked and read Berserk. Now if you'll excuse me, I need a bit of a breather here to decide how I feel about things.

ha ha ha. i'm not sure if i should congratulate you or not. though i do believe that one can only read up to volume 13 if he/she wishes to make a solid decision regarding the manga series. well, whatever the case, Fish, you have just read the first 3 volumes of one of THE GREATEST mangas in the world. XD

anyways, GTO volumes 20-22

almost finished w/ the series once again. i love it!
[SIZE="4"]*FASTING FROM CAA (9/25/08 - ???)*[/SIZE]

[SIZE="1"]
"Sometimes we don't present the Gospel well enough for the non-elect to reject it."
- John MacArthur

"In the total expanse of the human life, there is not a single square inch of which Christ, who alone is sovereign, does not declare, 'That is mine'."
- Abraham Kuyper

"God the great Creator of all things doth uphold, direct, dispose, and govern all creatures, actions, and things, from the greatest even to the least, by His most wise and holy providence, according to His infallible foreknowledge and the free and immutable counsel of His own will, to the praise of the glory of His wisdom, power, justice, goodness, and mercy."
- Westminister Confession of Faith (Chapter 5, Section 1)

"The wisdom of God has found a way for the love of God to deliver sinners from the wrath of God all the while upholding the righteousness of God!!"
- John Piper

"Grace is the pleasure of God to magnify the worth of God by giving sinners the right and power to delight in God without obscuring the glory of God!"
-John Piper

"The very One from Whom we need to be saved, is the One Who has saved us."
- R.C. Sproul

"All of Christian life is ceaseless worship of God the Father, through the mediatorship of God the Son, by the indwelling power of God the Spirit, doing what God commands in Scripture, not doing what God forbids in Scripture, in culturally contextualized ways, for the furtherance of the Gospel, when both gathered for adoration, and scattered for action, in joyous response to God's glorious grace."
- Mark Driscoll

"Believers do not pray with the view of informing God about things unknown to Him, or of exciting Him to do His duty, or of urging Him as though He were reluctant. On the contrary, they pray in order that they may arouse themselves to seek Him, that they may exercise their faith in meditating on His promises, that they may relieve themselves from their anxieties by pouring them into His bosom; in a word, that they may declare that from Him alone they hope and expect, both for themselves and for others, all good things."
- Martin Luther

"I have to tell you first that I am ready to die. I have put my affairs in order. Your supreme weapon is killing. My supreme weapon is dying, because when you kill me, people all over Romania will read my books and believe on the God that I preach - even more than they do now."
- Dr. Joseph Ton, the exiled Romanian pastor (quoted by James Montgomery Boice)

"The best prayer I ever prayed had enough sin in it to condemn the whole world."
- John Bunyan

"If the Christian has lost sight of Calvary, that shows that he has lost his way."
- J.I. Packer[/SIZE]
jon_jinn

Postby Gypsy » Wed Jul 02, 2008 11:05 pm

Fruits Basket volume 20 ... I burned through it way too fast, though and now I have to wait. *cry*
||Skipping Tomorrows Webmanga||
"A ship in harbor is safe but that is not what ships are built for." - John A. Shedd
Gypsy

Postby Sheenar » Thu Jul 03, 2008 10:05 pm

I just finished Monster volume 8
"Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal." 2 Corinthians 4:16-18

"Since the creation of the Internet, the Earth's rotation has been fueled, primarily, by the collective spinning of English teachers in their graves."
Sheenar

Postby jon_jinn » Thu Jul 03, 2008 10:07 pm

GTO volumes 23-25. FINISHED! ahh i utterly love this series!

[SIZE="1"]
"Sometimes we don't present the Gospel well enough for the non-elect to reject it."
- John MacArthur

"In the total expanse of the human life, there is not a single square inch of which Christ, who alone is sovereign, does not declare, 'That is mine'."
- Abraham Kuyper

"God the great Creator of all things doth uphold, direct, dispose, and govern all creatures, actions, and things, from the greatest even to the least, by His most wise and holy providence, according to His infallible foreknowledge and the free and immutable counsel of His own will, to the praise of the glory of His wisdom, power, justice, goodness, and mercy."

"The wisdom of God has found a way for the love of God to deliver sinners from the wrath of God all the while upholding the righteousness of God!!"
- John Piper

"Grace is the pleasure of God to magnify the worth of God by giving sinners the right and power to delight in God without obscuring the glory of God!"
-John Piper

- R.C. Sproul

"All of Christian life is ceaseless worship of God the Father, through the mediatorship of God the Son, by the indwelling power of God the Spirit, doing what God commands in Scripture, not doing what God forbids in Scripture, in culturally contextualized ways, for the furtherance of the Gospel, when both gathered for adoration, and scattered for action, in joyous response to God's glorious grace."
- Mark Driscoll

"Believers do not pray with the view of informing God about things unknown to Him, or of exciting Him to do His duty, or of urging Him as though He were reluctant. On the contrary, they pray in order that they may arouse themselves to seek Him, that they may exercise their faith in meditating on His promises, that they may relieve themselves from their anxieties by pouring them into His bosom; in a word, that they may declare that from Him alone they hope and expect, both for themselves and for others, all good things."
- Martin Luther

"I have to tell you first that I am ready to die. I have put my affairs in order. Your supreme weapon is killing. My supreme weapon is dying, because when you kill me, people all over Romania will read my books and believe on the God that I preach - even more than they do now."

"The best prayer I ever prayed had enough sin in it to condemn the whole world."
- John Bunyan

"If the Christian has lost sight of Calvary, that shows that he has lost his way."
- J.I. Packer[/SIZE]
jon_jinn

Postby minakichan » Fri Jul 04, 2008 8:54 am

Moar Detective Conan.

The crazy Shinichi mini-arc is done, and now it's back to normal...... how boring =<
ImageImage
minakichan

Postby GeneD » Thu Jul 10, 2008 3:23 am

Bleach volume 4.
I don't know what broke to make you like this, but I must be broken too if I'm standing here praising your destructiveness. -Rock (Black Lagoon)

As I had encountered kindness, I wanted to be kind myself. -Takashi Natsume (Natsume's Book of Friends)

MAL
Twitter
MOES: Promoting sane sigs.
GeneD

Postby PolarHeat » Thu Jul 10, 2008 5:31 pm

hmm.

Princess Ai Volume 1

Ouran High School Host Club Volume 1-4

Card Captor Sakura Volume 1

Mermaid Melody Pichi Pichi Pitch Volume 1-4

Millenium Snow Volume 1-2

I reread the ones I own. so there you have it. LoLs.
Image Image Image Image Image Image

~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~

"Man or woman, what we look like is irrelevant anyways, right? It's what's inside that really matters."

~ Haruhi Fujioka, Ouran High School Host Club
Volume 1 [color="Red"]@[/color][color="Green"])}~`,~[/color]

~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~

PolarHeat

Postby minakichan » Sat Jul 12, 2008 6:37 pm

Found more Alive - The Final Evolution, so I've been reading more.

Maaaaaaaan I really love this series; it's one of my top recent seinen reads. It's very Darker than BLACK/X-Men, but with a lot more humor; proof that seinen supernatural fighting manga improves on so many of shounen's faults. The last big batch I read started getting kind of annoying-- very villain-of-the-week, with lots of pseudo-deep philosophy crap-- but it's definitely picked back up. The comedy relief is perfectly paced and super effective; I've laughed and choked hard. The characters are great; Taisuke is a male teenage lead that I actually don't feel like shooting.
ImageImage
minakichan

Postby Tsukuyomi » Sat Jul 12, 2008 7:40 pm

I have Absolute Boyfriend volume 1 to read.. somewhere >_>;;
Tsukuyomi

Location: I am a figment of your imagination... I live only in your dreams... I haunt you ~(O_O)~

Postby guitargeekette » Sat Jul 12, 2008 8:04 pm

Naruto, it's finally getting interesting!
Perfecting the art of being me...:jump:

http://guitargeekette.deviantart.com/
Check out my artwork if you like.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
guitargeekette

Postby GeneD » Sun Jul 13, 2008 11:14 am

Bleach volume 2.
I don't know what broke to make you like this, but I must be broken too if I'm standing here praising your destructiveness. -Rock (Black Lagoon)

As I had encountered kindness, I wanted to be kind myself. -Takashi Natsume (Natsume's Book of Friends)

MAL
Twitter
GeneD

Postby Fish and Chips » Sun Jul 13, 2008 1:51 pm

Berserk vol. 4-16

Fish and Chips

Postby uc pseudonym » Sun Jul 13, 2008 2:04 pm

Yu Yu Hakusho Volume 19

Last volume, I believe. The pacing is getting fairly wonky and I really wish things hadn't become a tournament, but because I know things don't end stereotypically I continue reading.

[quote="minakichan"]Found more Alive - The Final Evolution, so I've been reading more.

Maaaaaaaan I really love this series]
Hm, that's interesting: I would not have predicted you'd like this manga. This one has never really felt seinen to me, possibly because of the protagonist's age, but I continue to follow it with some interest.
uc pseudonym

Postby minakichan » Sun Jul 13, 2008 2:09 pm

Hm, that's interesting: I would not have predicted you'd like this manga. This one has never really felt seinen to me, possibly because of the protagonist's age, but I continue to follow it with some interest.

It started out with a freaking suicide virus. For some reason, I really, really love crazy deadly virus/ suicide virus-ish stories (despite hating blood and gore and violence!). It definitely isn't as cool as it was in the first volume, unfortunately. I think it started out seinen and kind of degenerated.
ImageImage
minakichan

Postby MasterDias » Sun Jul 13, 2008 5:11 pm

It started out with a freaking suicide virus. For some reason, I really, really love crazy deadly virus/ suicide virus-ish stories (despite hating blood and gore and violence!). It definitely isn't as cool as it was in the first volume, unfortunately. I think it started out seinen and kind of degenerated.

Except, Alive isn't seinen. It runs in (Monthly) Shonen Magazine. So, yeah, I'd consider it shonen. It would probably be running in Young Magazine or something if Kodansha considered it seinen. Anyway, I've read a bit of this. And it has caught my interest. There's an anime planned for the fall, so we will see how that goes.

Meanwhile, I decided to start an already finished series since I probably have enough ongoing series to follow right now.

20th Century Boys Volumes 1-2
-----------------------------------------
"Always seek to do good to one another and to all."
1 Thessalonians 5:15

"Every story must have an ending." - Auron - Final Fantasy X

"A small stone may make a ripple at first, but someday it will be a wave." - Wiegraf - Final Fantasy Tactics
MasterDias

Postby minakichan » Sun Jul 13, 2008 5:38 pm

Except, Alive isn't seinen. It runs in (Monthly) Shonen Magazine. So, yeah, I'd consider it shonen. It would probably be running in Young Magazine or something if Kodansha considered it seinen. Anyway, I've read a bit of this. And it has caught my interest. There's an anime planned for the fall, so we will see how that goes.

Ah... really? ._. My mistake. I could've sworn though....

EDIT: Ohhhhhh my mistake. When I looked it up before, I saw another manga called Alive!, which ran in Young Jump, so I guess I got them mixed up.

But I can't wait to see the anime.
ImageImage
minakichan

Postby uc pseudonym » Mon Jul 14, 2008 2:44 pm

MasterDias wrote:Except, Alive isn't seinen. It runs in (Monthly) Shonen Magazine. So, yeah, I'd consider it shonen. It would probably be running in Young Magazine or something if Kodansha considered it seinen. Anyway, I've read a bit of this. And it has caught my interest. There's an anime planned for the fall, so we will see how that goes.

Ah, thank you. I thought it wasn't seinen and was starting to wonder how I'd gotten it wrong. Meanwhile, enjoy 20th Century Boys.
uc pseudonym

Postby EricTheFred » Tue Jul 15, 2008 6:46 am

Finally found a copy of volume two of "By The Sword". A neat little manga that never had a chance (cut off after three volumes, and ADV never released the English version for volume 3). I'll have to find a .jp volume 3 now so I can finish it.

Reading "Black God" volume 3 now.
May the Lord bless you and keep you.
May He cause His face to shine upon you.
May He lift up His countenance and grant you peace.

Maokun: Ninjas or Pirates? (Vikings are not a valid answer, sorry)

EricTheFred: Vikings are always a valid answer.

Feel free to visit My Writing.com Portfolio

Largo: "Well Ed, good to see ya. Guess I gotta beat the crap out of you now."

Jamie Hyneman: "It's just another lovely day at the bomb range. Birds are singing, rabbits are hopping about, and soon there's going to be a big explosion."
EricTheFred

Postby Puguni » Tue Jul 15, 2008 4:43 pm

Just finished Koukou Debut 42. I was about to tear my hair out until I read spoilers for 43.
Puguni

Location: In a place where I can wonder why good grammar doesn't apply on the internet.

Postby Midori » Tue Jul 15, 2008 5:04 pm

I've been reading something called +Anima. Heard of it? I think it was volume 8 I read last.

I also zoomed over Fruits Basket 20. Oh well...
Midori

Postby minakichan » Tue Jul 15, 2008 8:08 pm

Just finished Koukou Debut 42. I was about to tear my hair out until I read spoilers for 43.

DITTO. This series has caused me SO MUCH STRESS. I LOVE IT.
ImageImage
minakichan

Postby GeneD » Sat Jul 19, 2008 3:03 am

Bleach volume 3 and 5.

MAL
Twitter
GeneD

Postby AlyssHeart » Sat Jul 19, 2008 8:29 am

Bleach 23!!!
"Surely what a man does when he is taken off his guard is the best evidence for what sort of man he is."-C.S.Lewis. =)
AlyssHeart

Postby Fish and Chips » Sat Jul 19, 2008 1:37 pm

Berserk vol. 17-18
One Piece vol. 14-15

Bit of nostalgia here, since the first I'd ever seen or heard from One Piece was the Drum Island arc and now I've read there. Shame I'm finding the formula a bit stale. Is it bad I can tell within a chapter of their introduction which members of Wapol's crew our heroes will various have to pick off?
Fish and Chips

Postby uc pseudonym » Sat Jul 19, 2008 2:03 pm

Marvel Zombies

Not manga, but also not literary enough to put in the books thread. I've read through this and I think all related materials (FF crossover, miniseries, etc). Not as dark as I expected, actually, and only moderately interesting overall. I do want to look for the second series, however.

Fish and Chips wrote:Bit of nostalgia here, since the first I'd ever seen or heard from One Piece was the Drum Island arc and now I've read there. Shame I'm finding the formula a bit stale. Is it bad I can tell within a chapter of their introduction which members of Wapol's crew our heroes will various have to pick off?

Heh, I think this is the greatest weakness of One Piece. I personally read in between arcs, when the various pirate crews are seen and doing things, then skip out when they reach a new island and a new formulaic scenario is introduced. It works pretty well and I'm enjoying the series a lot more.
uc pseudonym

Postby Fish and Chips » Sat Jul 19, 2008 2:44 pm

uc pseudonym (post: 1246476) wrote:Heh, I think this is the greatest weakness of One Piece. I personally read in between arcs, when the various pirate crews are seen and doing things, then skip out when they reach a new island and a new formulaic scenario is introduced. It works pretty well and I'm enjoying the series a lot more.

Basically, I enjoy reading all the parts where Luffy and crew aren't fighting enemy pirates. Travelling to exotic lands and meeting lots of weird people with a dash plot induced delema is fine, but the rest of the action is tiring.

Baroque Works is a bit more passable however, so I may end up liking the Alabasta arc.
Fish and Chips

Postby jon_jinn » Sat Jul 19, 2008 8:01 pm

Robot volume 1

a very peculiar manga composed of 20 short stories. the various artwork was very a major attraction factor, but the varying level of objectionable content made it hard for me to enjoy this manga. some of the stories i found quite interesting while other stories i found utterly disgusting and sickening.

[SIZE="1"]
- John MacArthur

- Abraham Kuyper

- John Piper

-John Piper

- R.C. Sproul

- Mark Driscoll

- Martin Luther

- John Bunyan

- J.I. Packer[/SIZE]
jon_jinn

Postby Mimiru14 » Sun Jul 20, 2008 1:48 am

I finished re-reading ch.41 of Death Note..How can you not love Matsuda?
[color="Magenta"]"It is impossible to live without failing at something, unless you live so cautiously that you might as well not have lived at all - in which case, you fail by default."
— J.K. Rowling [/color]

[color="Plum"]"It takes an idiot to do cool things. That's what makes it cool"[/color]:thumb:
Mimiru14

Postby EricTheFred » Sun Jul 20, 2008 10:34 am

I picked up volume 1 of "Dark Metro" the other day. For a Horror fan, this is a great read. I've been getting tired of the Goth / Vampire bent that the genre has been focused on, and wishing for something like this. The writer starts with just good ol'fashioned ghost stories and weaves them into a story about a psychopomp spirit who is charged with keeping the innocent bystanders from getting hurt. Neat stuff. A little gory, though.

Midori (post: 1245175) wrote:I've been reading something called +Anima. Heard of it? I think it was volume 8 I read last.

Gave up on it after three volumes, but not for any objectionable content or poor quality. The story didn't appeal to me. I was attracted by the artwork. I like the style, and the character designs, and the artist does a good job with them.
May the Lord bless you and keep you.
May He cause His face to shine upon you.
May He lift up His countenance and grant you peace.

Maokun: Ninjas or Pirates? (Vikings are not a valid answer, sorry)

EricTheFred: Vikings are always a valid answer.

Feel free to visit My Writing.com Portfolio

Largo: "Well Ed, good to see ya. Guess I gotta beat the crap out of you now."

Jamie Hyneman: "It's just another lovely day at the bomb range. Birds are singing, rabbits are hopping about, and soon there's going to be a big explosion."
EricTheFred

Previous Next

Return to Manga and Manga Reviews