What Manga are you reading?

Post about anime's sister, manga in here. Manga reviews accepted in here as well.

Postby kryptech » Tue Jun 10, 2008 5:43 am

Blame! vol. 5 - 7
"Everybody's weird in their own special way." - P.V.
"Never refuse a breath mint." - my dad
"The UAC is making safer worlds through superior firepower." - Doom 3
"This world is a great sculptor's shop. We are the statues and there is a rumour going round the shop that some of us are some day going to come to life." - C.S. Lewis, Mere Christianity

"I'm too cool to scroll. -- MOES."
kryptech

Postby Aleolus » Wed Jun 11, 2008 5:22 pm

Foxy Lady. Interesting story, good comedy, and I love series that incorporate foxgirls, catgirls, doggirls or the like.
"Please stand down, I don't want meaningless bloodshed!" chaos-Xenosaga

"Who are you?"
"If I knew that, I wouldn't be suffering." - Hakuro, Utawarerumono

"Dirty thoughts are bad!" Mahoro, Mahoromatic

Help my dragons to grow, please!
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Aleolus

Postby mysngoeshere56 » Thu Jun 12, 2008 3:21 pm

.hack//Legend of the Twlight

I'm on the 1st book right now.
-Sno
mysngoeshere56

Postby Fish and Chips » Sun Jun 15, 2008 3:36 pm

Bleach vol. 20-22
One Piece vol. 7-8
[spoiler]Trash trash trash trash trash trash trash trash trash trash trash trash trash trash trash trash trash trash trash trash trash trash trash trash trash trash trash trash trash trash trash trash trash trash trash trash trash trash trash trash trash trash trash trash trash trash trash trash trash trash trash trash trash trash trash trash trash trash trash trash trash trash trash trash trash trash trash trash trash trash trash trash trash trash trash trash trash trash trash trash trash trash trash trash trash trash trash trash trash trash.[/spoiler]
Fish and Chips

Postby uc pseudonym » Mon Jun 16, 2008 1:08 pm

Mercenary Pierre Volumes 1-2

That's it? That's the entire series? I was interested in a manga that was set in not-Japan, about Joan of Arc, and appeared to have an unusual storytelling style. But then it kind of just reaches a reasonable stopping point and ends, without having said much of anything or gotten all that exciting.
uc pseudonym

Postby minakichan » Wed Jun 18, 2008 5:21 pm

Lost + Brain.

I remember that when it first came out in Japan, people blasted it for being a shallow ripoff of Death Note. THESE PEOPLE ARE WRONG. IT IS NOTHING LIKE DEATH NOTE.

I actually think it's quite fascinating (note that fascinating does not necessarily mean good or compelling, but it certainly peaks interest). The discussion on hypnosis and human psychology is pretty eye-opening, and while such elements exist in other manga series, I've never seen it discussed to this extent. Also, again, while people might compare Ren to Yagami Light, I have to disagree; Light retains a smidgeon of decency, while Hiyama Ren is COMPLETELY despicable. Sometimes he seems a little flat as a result, but it's still very interesting. How many manga have a bona fide [spoiler]terrorist[/spoiler] as a protagonist?

One thing that does kind of bug me is the weakness of the social commentary aspects. I feel that media that continuously expound the Darkness and Corruption (TM) of modern society end up actually losing a lot of the depth they try to evoke, particularly when the arguments are All Things We've Heard Before. Lost + Brain certainly gets there (although the agent of the social commentary certainly may not be a mouthpiece for the mangaka). We're given no real argument or further reasoning as to why society is so disgusting that Ren feels that he needs to completely transform and control it, other than the fact that he's an antisocial emo freak loser. That seriously turns me off.
ImageImage
minakichan

Postby Aileen Kailum » Thu Jun 19, 2008 12:10 am

Fullmetal Alchemist volume 2
Rereading this series definitely brings on some nostalgia, and makes me wish I had started buying the volumes instead of just borrowing them from the library. Oh well. Better get to the bookstore tomorrow.

Kamikaze Kaitou Jeanne volumes 1-4
I enjoyed the first two volumes much more the second time I read them. Volumes 3 and 4, not so much. I don't know if it's the theology that's bothering me or if it's the way it reminds me of D.N.Angel, but I just don't like this series.
Need some excitement and meaning to brighten your bleak existence? Enter the CAA Monthly Manga contest!
(Warning: side affects may/will include irritability, the cramping of hands, frustration, and/or loss of sleep.)

Close only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades
Aileen Kailum

Postby kryptech » Thu Jun 19, 2008 5:11 am

Blame! volumes 8 - 10
Finished the series. I found the end unsatisfactory and the story always seemed a bit helter skelter and vague. I did like the atmosphere and environment (dark, bleak, dystopian, with many cybernetics characters). I suppose I continued reading the series more for that than for the plot.
"Everybody's weird in their own special way." - P.V.
"Never refuse a breath mint." - my dad
"The UAC is making safer worlds through superior firepower." - Doom 3
"This world is a great sculptor's shop. We are the statues and there is a rumour going round the shop that some of us are some day going to come to life." - C.S. Lewis, Mere Christianity

"I'm too cool to scroll. -- MOES."
kryptech

Postby RobinSena » Thu Jun 19, 2008 7:11 am

Death Note volume 1. I've already seen up to episode 20 or so, but I have access to the manga now, so I'm going to start on it. My brother is already addicted, after part of one book. XD
FKA: ChurchPunk[SIZE="1"]
MOES: Sig. Or sig not. There is no scroll.
[/SIZE]
RobinSena

Postby uc pseudonym » Thu Jun 19, 2008 2:03 pm

minakichan wrote:Lost + Brain.

Ah, I had been considering whether I wanted to pick this up. Still not sure - the answer will likely depend on how much free time I have in the near future. But it is good to know a bit more about it.
uc pseudonym

Postby Fish and Chips » Mon Jun 23, 2008 11:56 pm

Bleach vol. 23
Samurai Deeper Kyo vol. 28

One day I will convince myself that SDK isn't all that bad.

That day is not today.
Fish and Chips

Postby Tsukuyomi » Tue Jun 24, 2008 12:19 am

20th CB and Imadoki ^^
Tsukuyomi

Location: I am a figment of your imagination... I live only in your dreams... I haunt you ~(O_O)~

Postby Elycien » Tue Jun 24, 2008 6:50 am

Tsukuyomi (post: 1238374) wrote:20th CB and Imadoki ^^

Imadoki <333 One of my all-time favorite shoujo series ^_^

ImageImageImageImageImage
My dragons ^^ Please click!
Elycien

Postby Fish and Chips » Tue Jun 24, 2008 5:15 pm

Blade of the Immortal vol. 19
One Piece vol. 9-13

Twice the price at half the thickness? You disappoint me, Dark Horse.
Fish and Chips

Postby jon_jinn » Tue Jun 24, 2008 9:46 pm

Fish and Chips (post: 1238604) wrote:Blade of the Immortal vol. 19

XD Same here Fish and Chips.

not much action in this volume, but at least the story is starting to pick up pace and progress a little.
[SIZE="4"]*FASTING FROM CAA (9/25/08 - ???)*[/SIZE]

[SIZE="1"]
"Sometimes we don't present the Gospel well enough for the non-elect to reject it."
- John MacArthur

"In the total expanse of the human life, there is not a single square inch of which Christ, who alone is sovereign, does not declare, 'That is mine'."
- Abraham Kuyper

"God the great Creator of all things doth uphold, direct, dispose, and govern all creatures, actions, and things, from the greatest even to the least, by His most wise and holy providence, according to His infallible foreknowledge and the free and immutable counsel of His own will, to the praise of the glory of His wisdom, power, justice, goodness, and mercy."
- Westminister Confession of Faith (Chapter 5, Section 1)

"The wisdom of God has found a way for the love of God to deliver sinners from the wrath of God all the while upholding the righteousness of God!!"
- John Piper

"Grace is the pleasure of God to magnify the worth of God by giving sinners the right and power to delight in God without obscuring the glory of God!"
-John Piper

"The very One from Whom we need to be saved, is the One Who has saved us."
- R.C. Sproul

"All of Christian life is ceaseless worship of God the Father, through the mediatorship of God the Son, by the indwelling power of God the Spirit, doing what God commands in Scripture, not doing what God forbids in Scripture, in culturally contextualized ways, for the furtherance of the Gospel, when both gathered for adoration, and scattered for action, in joyous response to God's glorious grace."
- Mark Driscoll

"Believers do not pray with the view of informing God about things unknown to Him, or of exciting Him to do His duty, or of urging Him as though He were reluctant. On the contrary, they pray in order that they may arouse themselves to seek Him, that they may exercise their faith in meditating on His promises, that they may relieve themselves from their anxieties by pouring them into His bosom; in a word, that they may declare that from Him alone they hope and expect, both for themselves and for others, all good things."
- Martin Luther

"I have to tell you first that I am ready to die. I have put my affairs in order. Your supreme weapon is killing. My supreme weapon is dying, because when you kill me, people all over Romania will read my books and believe on the God that I preach - even more than they do now."
- Dr. Joseph Ton, the exiled Romanian pastor (quoted by James Montgomery Boice)

"The best prayer I ever prayed had enough sin in it to condemn the whole world."
- John Bunyan

"If the Christian has lost sight of Calvary, that shows that he has lost his way."
- J.I. Packer[/SIZE]
jon_jinn

Postby Tsukuyomi » Tue Jun 24, 2008 10:53 pm

Elycien (post: 1238412) wrote:Imadoki <333 One of my all-time favorite shoujo series ^_^

I love it so far ^^ Just as all the other Yuu Watase creations (manga and anime) ^__^

I'm kinda stalling though ^^;;
Tsukuyomi

Location: I am a figment of your imagination... I live only in your dreams... I haunt you ~(O_O)~

Postby uc pseudonym » Wed Jun 25, 2008 1:07 pm

Katana Volume 1

Eh... boy can see the spirit of swords, has various adventures. More episodic than shonen, if that makes sense.
uc pseudonym

Postby minakichan » Wed Jun 25, 2008 4:39 pm

Imadoki <333 One of my all-time favorite shoujo series ^_^

To me, Imadoki was one of the only Watase Yuu series that didn't make me want to strangle the main female character, and it's also the one with the least "offensive" content, offensive referring to morally questionable actions or events that also happen to be quite pointless and stupid. I did think that the whole male-lead-who-loves-flowers thing was strangle-worthy, but that's about it.

As for what I'm reading, most recent Liar Game chapter. Nao continues to be worthlessly gullible, but Fukunaga is actually believably cunning, so I can forgive her.
ImageImage
minakichan

Postby Debitt » Wed Jun 25, 2008 5:47 pm

Just caught up with Katekyo Hitman Reborn; starting in on the latest chapters of Air Gear sometime soon, and catching up with D.Gray-man (anything post-Ark) now. |D Huah.

[SIZE="5"](*゚∀゚)アハア八アッ八ッノヽ~☆[/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]DEBS: Fan of that manga where the kid's head is on fire.[/SIZE]
Debitt

Postby GeneD » Thu Jun 26, 2008 6:24 am

Bleach volume 1.

Rukia: I lost all my powers.
Ichigo: You lost your powers? What are they, socks? Where did they go?

Sometimes I forget how funny Bleach can be.
I don't know what broke to make you like this, but I must be broken too if I'm standing here praising your destructiveness. -Rock (Black Lagoon)

As I had encountered kindness, I wanted to be kind myself. -Takashi Natsume (Natsume's Book of Friends)

MAL
Twitter
MOES: Promoting sane sigs.
GeneD

Postby jon_jinn » Thu Jun 26, 2008 3:36 pm

Whistle! volume 19
Eyeshield 21 volume 20

[SIZE="1"]
"Sometimes we don't present the Gospel well enough for the non-elect to reject it."
- John MacArthur

"In the total expanse of the human life, there is not a single square inch of which Christ, who alone is sovereign, does not declare, 'That is mine'."
- Abraham Kuyper

"God the great Creator of all things doth uphold, direct, dispose, and govern all creatures, actions, and things, from the greatest even to the least, by His most wise and holy providence, according to His infallible foreknowledge and the free and immutable counsel of His own will, to the praise of the glory of His wisdom, power, justice, goodness, and mercy."

"The wisdom of God has found a way for the love of God to deliver sinners from the wrath of God all the while upholding the righteousness of God!!"
- John Piper

"Grace is the pleasure of God to magnify the worth of God by giving sinners the right and power to delight in God without obscuring the glory of God!"
-John Piper

- R.C. Sproul

"All of Christian life is ceaseless worship of God the Father, through the mediatorship of God the Son, by the indwelling power of God the Spirit, doing what God commands in Scripture, not doing what God forbids in Scripture, in culturally contextualized ways, for the furtherance of the Gospel, when both gathered for adoration, and scattered for action, in joyous response to God's glorious grace."
- Mark Driscoll

"Believers do not pray with the view of informing God about things unknown to Him, or of exciting Him to do His duty, or of urging Him as though He were reluctant. On the contrary, they pray in order that they may arouse themselves to seek Him, that they may exercise their faith in meditating on His promises, that they may relieve themselves from their anxieties by pouring them into His bosom; in a word, that they may declare that from Him alone they hope and expect, both for themselves and for others, all good things."
- Martin Luther

"I have to tell you first that I am ready to die. I have put my affairs in order. Your supreme weapon is killing. My supreme weapon is dying, because when you kill me, people all over Romania will read my books and believe on the God that I preach - even more than they do now."

"The best prayer I ever prayed had enough sin in it to condemn the whole world."
- John Bunyan

"If the Christian has lost sight of Calvary, that shows that he has lost his way."
- J.I. Packer[/SIZE]
jon_jinn

Postby uc pseudonym » Fri Jun 27, 2008 2:26 pm

Akumetsu Volumes 3-5

Getting back into this series with the same balance of interest and uncertainty. Relatively complicated (if not necessarily well thought out) economic jargon thrown about amidst wanton violence. I'd probably have stopped reading if not for the note at the end of the first volume that indicates the author plans to do something more complicated than redemption through violence. I do find the idea of a vigilante being portrayed as such a madman appealing, but five volumes of this grows old...
uc pseudonym

Postby jon_jinn » Mon Jun 30, 2008 4:01 pm

Hunter x Hunter volumes 20 and 21

[SIZE="1"]
- John MacArthur

- Abraham Kuyper

- John Piper

-John Piper

- R.C. Sproul

- Mark Driscoll

- Martin Luther

- John Bunyan

- J.I. Packer[/SIZE]
jon_jinn

Postby Kamikaze » Mon Jun 30, 2008 4:52 pm

Bleach, Liar Game, and Rosario+Vampire II at the moment. I am following many more as well, but not as actively. I read a wide range of styles and genres...
Kamikaze

Postby Fish and Chips » Tue Jul 01, 2008 1:14 am

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure vol. 71
Lone Wolf and Cub vol. 3-7

Ogami Ittō is pretty much made of awesome.

Meanwhile, our latest JoJo bad guy shows how to drown people on dry land.
Fish and Chips

Postby jon_jinn » Tue Jul 01, 2008 10:31 am

going through some random volumes of GTO again.

GTO volumes 12-13

[SIZE="1"]
- John MacArthur

- Abraham Kuyper

- John Piper

-John Piper

- R.C. Sproul

- Mark Driscoll

- Martin Luther

- John Bunyan

- J.I. Packer[/SIZE]
jon_jinn

Postby uc pseudonym » Tue Jul 01, 2008 1:16 pm

Shin Angyo Onshi (finished)

The series ends and I find myself strangely ambivalent. Quite a few main character casualties in the final battle, though, most of them not particularly dramatic or important. I think I find the ending unsatisfying but I'm uncertain precisely why. It has certainly made me think deeply about the nature of tragic endings.
uc pseudonym

Postby Sheenar » Tue Jul 01, 2008 8:00 pm

I just started reading Monster tonight and all I can say is...WOW...man, I am hooked already. What a great story! I can't wait to see how the story progresses.
"Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal." 2 Corinthians 4:16-18

"Since the creation of the Internet, the Earth's rotation has been fueled, primarily, by the collective spinning of English teachers in their graves."
Sheenar

Postby jon_jinn » Tue Jul 01, 2008 9:46 pm

GTO volumes 14-19

i can't believe it! i'm hooked again and i've already read through this series once before!

[SIZE="1"]
- John MacArthur

- Abraham Kuyper

- John Piper

-John Piper

- R.C. Sproul

- Mark Driscoll

- Martin Luther

- John Bunyan

- J.I. Packer[/SIZE]
jon_jinn

Postby Fish and Chips » Tue Jul 01, 2008 11:46 pm

Berserk vol. 1-3

I did it. I cracked and read Berserk. Now if you'll excuse me, I need a bit of a breather here to decide how I feel about things.
Fish and Chips

Previous Next

Return to Manga and Manga Reviews