I Survived a Japanese Game Show

TV, Movies, Sports...you can find it all in here.

I Survived a Japanese Game Show

Postby Maledicte » Sat Jun 07, 2008 12:02 pm

Coming this summer.

http://abc.go.com/summer/isurvivedajapanesegame/index

I suppose this is the closest we'll get to actually having such crazy game shows over here.
Maledicte

Postby ADXC » Sat Jun 07, 2008 12:17 pm

Ha, I can't wait to see this.
ADXC

Postby Popsicle » Sat Jun 07, 2008 12:37 pm

hahaha...I'm so gunna watch this show!
Popsicle

Postby Sheenar » Sat Jun 07, 2008 7:33 pm

That looks hilarious. I love Japanese game shows...especially the Human Tetris one...XD
"Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal." 2 Corinthians 4:16-18

"Since the creation of the Internet, the Earth's rotation has been fueled, primarily, by the collective spinning of English teachers in their graves."
Sheenar

Postby Kurama » Sat Jun 07, 2008 9:01 pm

ROFL the 24th!! I am totally seeing that!!! XD
Kurama

Postby Maledicte » Sun Jun 08, 2008 1:48 am

Sheenar (post: 1233848) wrote:That looks hilarious. I love Japanese game shows...especially the Human Tetris one...XD

That's my absolute favorite, and the one that made me love Japanese game shows in the first place.
Maledicte

Postby ShiroiHikari » Sun Jun 08, 2008 2:46 am

I typically hate reality TV but if I had an antenna, I'd watch this. XD
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby Raiden no Kishi » Sun Jun 08, 2008 5:43 am

They're probably going to add a bunch of extraneous commentary and nonsense. I wish they'd just sub some Japanese game shows and leave it at that.

.rai//
[raiden's liveJournal]

[color="Indigo"]"I believe whatever doesn't kill you simply makes you . . . stranger."[/color]

Strollin' in at dawn, wakin' up at noon's gonna catch up to me soon
'Just sleep when you're dead' is what I said 'cause I'm jumpin' off the moon
Raiden no Kishi

Location: Ticking away/The hours that make up the dull day . . .

Postby eternalprincess » Sun Jun 08, 2008 7:11 am

Guess what Rin is watching this summer. . . XD

It looks hilarious! :D

@)}~ carry this rose in your sig, as thanks, to all the CAA Moderators
eternalprincess

Location: Texas: Sitting at the computer writing, and explaining anime to someone who found out I'm into it.

Postby ShiroiHikari » Sun Jun 08, 2008 11:16 am

Raiden no Kishi (post: 1233934) wrote:They're probably going to add a bunch of extraneous commentary and nonsense. I wish they'd just sub some Japanese game shows and leave it at that.

.rai//

True. There was this one time when we were watching the TV Guide Channel (lolwut) and they showed clips from Japanese shows with really stupid overdubbing and commentary. **** me off. >_>
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby oro! » Sun Jun 08, 2008 1:29 pm

Ehhh...they've already done the whole subbing thing; Ninja Warrior, anyone? I think something new, with, yes, American people, is pretty cool.
"I've learned when you throw mud at others, not only do you get your hands dirty, but you also lose a lot of ground." Ravi Zacharias
"Pride grows in the human heart like lard on a pig." Aleksander Solzhenitzen (so call me on it)
"Zeal without knowledge can lead to chaos." - Bob Rohm
"Why don't we love his truth as much as we seem to love his love?"- Cross Movement, in their song "Check us Out"
oro!

Postby beau99 » Sun Jun 08, 2008 1:51 pm

EDIT: Nevermind, delete this plz.
beau99

Postby Ashley » Sun Jun 08, 2008 2:34 pm

Wow. I know someone who will be super pleased about this; it's his life's dream to be on one of these shows.
Ashley

Postby RidleyofZebes » Sun Jun 08, 2008 3:48 pm

OMG! I was gonna make a topic about this! I saw the commercials on TV last night during Finding Nemo. THIS LOOKS AWESOME!!!! :D
~Ridley [color="Green"] ;)
[/color]
[font="Arial Black"][color="Red"]My [color="Red"]deviantART[/color][/color][/font] | [font="Arial Black"][color="Red"]My [color="Red"]YouTube[/color][/color][/font]
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
~~~[color="Yellow"]AKA: DarkwaterhHealer~~~[/color]
Even when lurking, I am with you in spirit...

Another Sane Sig brought to you by MOES.
RidleyofZebes

Postby Raiden no Kishi » Sun Jun 08, 2008 5:15 pm

[quote="oro! (post: 1234010)"]Ehhh...they've already done the whole subbing thing]

Yes, they have, and I love Ninja Warrior. In fact, my whole family does. It works. For a point against adding dubs, I offer you MXC.

.rai//
[raiden's liveJournal]

[color="Indigo"]"I believe whatever doesn't kill you simply makes you . . . stranger."[/color]

Raiden no Kishi

Postby animewarrior » Sun Jun 08, 2008 5:49 pm

*marks down June 24th on her calendar* XDDD AWESOME!!!
~ The fainter the heartbeat the stronger the soul~

*They're just an incomplete group of people wishing to be whole; and to that end, they're desperately searching for something.* - Namine (Kingdom Hearts 2)
animewarrior

Postby sharien chan » Sun Jun 08, 2008 8:02 pm

I really can't wait to see this show. So far the previews are awesome.
sharien chan

Postby ADXC » Sun Jun 08, 2008 10:42 pm

I pretty much could careless whether they dub or sub it because I like both MXC and Ninja Warrior.

Does anyone else watch the Unbeatable Banzuke?
ADXC

Postby Raiden no Kishi » Mon Jun 09, 2008 9:37 pm

animedude90 (post: 1234146) wrote:I pretty much could careless whether they dub or sub it because I like both MXC and Ninja Warrior.

Does anyone else watch the Unbeatable Banzuke?

Ha, yes, Unbeatable Banzuke is awesome. It amazes me how skilled the contestants (well, most of them) are.

.rai//
[raiden's liveJournal]

Raiden no Kishi

Postby ilikegir33 » Thu Jun 12, 2008 5:02 am

I totally can't wait to see this. I'm a big fan of Unbeatable Banzuke and the like.

About the overdubbing thing: ever seen Super Big Product Fun Show or MXC: Most Extreme Elimination Challenge? Those are just dubbed with a new voice track. I know MXC is Beat Takeshi's Castle, but I don't know what SBPFS is. Yoshimoto TV maybe?
:dizzy: [color="Orange"]People are so crazy these days. If you are one of those crazy ppl, then copy this into your sig![/color]:dizzy:
MOES. "Take off every sig for great justice"
@)}~`,~ Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks To All The CAA Moderators.
What I'll be reviewing in the future:
SoulTaker (soon to start)
Whoever loves discipline loves knowledge, but he who hates correction is stupid. Proverbs 12:1
ilikegir33

Postby Sheenar » Thu Jun 12, 2008 11:31 am

When you guys mentioned overdubbing, for some reason all I could think of was Iron Chef. The original show. With the really corny English dubbing...I loved it though. I think it's cool how they still have a couple of the original Japanese Iron Chefs on the new Iron Chef America show --they're awesome. (And I would love to eat their food...)

ilikegir33 (post: 1234979) wrote:I totally can't wait to see this. I'm a big fan of Unbeatable Banzuke and the like.

About the overdubbing thing: ever seen Super Big Product Fun Show or MXC: Most Extreme Elimination Challenge? Those are just dubbed with a new voice track. I know MXC is Beat Takeshi's Castle, but I don't know what SBPFS is. Yoshimoto TV maybe?
"Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal." 2 Corinthians 4:16-18

"Since the creation of the Internet, the Earth's rotation has been fueled, primarily, by the collective spinning of English teachers in their graves."
Sheenar

Postby Kurama » Thu Jun 12, 2008 1:45 pm

Human Tetris Ftw!
Kurama

Postby Danderson » Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:49 pm

Though I don't think I'll have any time whatsoever to watch this.....That doesn't mean I still really really want to.....
Danderson

Postby TallHobbit86 » Fri Jun 13, 2008 4:54 pm

This'll be a fun show to watch with a lot of friends. I have some friends who really like Japanese shows like this. :)
King Moonracer: Don't tell me I need a root canal. This is a secret message... XD
Hermey the Elf, D.D.S: You need a root canal. Secret Bumping Club Member #9
King Moonracer: I asked you not to tell me that. geocities.com/arphage/sbc.html
TallHobbit86

Postby FukuokaGirl » Wed Jun 18, 2008 11:58 am

Ooooh gosh! This has potential!!! I love Japanese game shows. Gaki no Tsukai anyone?? But it's no wonder nihonjin so often has such .... uhhmmm ... incorrect(?) views of gaijin. >.< 面白い
"They do exist, the places you can live renewed." -Nobuta wo Produce
[align=left]ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

[align=center]思い出せば遙か遙か 未来はどこまでも輝いてた きれいな青空の下で 僕らは少しだけ怯えていた

[/align]
[/align]
[size=75]

[/SIZE]
FukuokaGirl

Majide! ^^

Postby ADXC » Tue Jun 24, 2008 9:18 pm

So did anyone else besides me and oro see this tonight? I really did like the show. And all the craziness involved.

[SPOILER] Im glad that the green monkeys won.[/SPOILER]

What were y'alls thoughts and opinions?

And Im glad they didn't dub the voices that spoke in Japanese.
ADXC

Postby Aka-chan » Wed Jun 25, 2008 12:46 am

To be quite honest, I was a little disappointed. The previews looked absolutely hilarious, the Americans were so culturally unaware and uninformed, etc...

Okay, yes, I laughed, but the show had too much talking and reality-show-competition and not enough game show. It lacked the overall slapstick pacing that actual Japanese game shows have, which cut the funny factor.

On top of that, it was kind of mean-spirited--not nearly as lighthearted as I'm used to. The announcer was patronizing and mocking, not to mention outright insulting at least once. His comments were often toned down and mistranslated in the subs, but the actual Japanese was pretty nasty.

It was an okay way to pass an evening, but I'm not sure it'll be a show I'll watch regularly.
Aka-chan

Postby Ashley » Wed Jun 25, 2008 7:38 am

I ,too, was a little disappointed, but mostly with the Americans. They rubbed me as obnoxious at best and downright rude at worst. I did find Mama-san hilarious, though. :lol:

I've set my TV to record next week's episode, but if it doesn't work out any better, I may not become a big fan.
Ashley

Postby oro! » Wed Jun 25, 2008 9:07 am

Ashley (post: 1238810) wrote:I ,too, was a little disappointed, but mostly with the Americans. They rubbed me as obnoxious at best and downright rude at worst. I did find Mama-san hilarious, though. :lol:

I've set my TV to record next week's episode, but if it doesn't work out any better, I may not become a big fan.

Yeah, their attitude was a real annoyance. Why did they have to be so mean? But the games themselves were very funny!
"I've learned when you throw mud at others, not only do you get your hands dirty, but you also lose a lot of ground." Ravi Zacharias
"Pride grows in the human heart like lard on a pig." Aleksander Solzhenitzen (so call me on it)
"Zeal without knowledge can lead to chaos." - Bob Rohm
"Why don't we love his truth as much as we seem to love his love?"- Cross Movement, in their song "Check us Out"
oro!

Postby ADXC » Wed Jun 25, 2008 1:29 pm

I too was dissappointed with the Americans attitude. But this is what you see in many game shows made by America. Because look at the other reality game shows(Like Survivor, Amazing Race, and Big Brother. But I don't watch Big Brother, that's just the way it has looked in the past commercials for it.), that's basicly what you can expect to see in this game show as well. It doesn't matter where it is made. If it's made by America with american contestant's, then everything will not be calm and lighthearted all the time(Yeah I wish it was though. Except for all the craziness). I know, it's hard to say it, but our country and many of it's people are rude. Im not saying that other countries aren't rude, Im just saying ours is especially rude.

But aside from that stuff, I did like watching the show anyway. Im not going to let bad attitudes to make mine bad about the show(Unless it gets really bad.). Im actually glad that America is even making an attempt at something different for a game show then just having a game show filmed here in America.

Yeah, I thought Mama-san was the funniest person on the show thus far.
"Im your mama-san, but Im not your mama!"

The games were weird but this country needs weird stuff. I really liked the game selection as well. I wonder what a mochi ball tastes like, hmm. The guys said it felt gummy.
ADXC

Next

Return to General Entertainment