How your approach to drawing has changed

TV, Movies, Sports...you can find it all in here.

How your approach to drawing has changed

Postby Sammy Boy » Mon Jun 16, 2008 6:58 pm

For some reason I cannot start any threads in the "Art Corner" (i.e. there is no "new thread" button) so am posting here. Mods - feel free to move it, thank you.

I wanted to see how people's approach to drawing / art have changed over the years.

For myself, when I was a kid I couldn't draw many things I wanted to draw, I had a very shallow and incomplete understanding of 3D shapes, and didn't know anything about drawing human muscles.

But I drew constantly, for the sheer enjoyment that drawing gave to me. I didn't care about whether my drawings looked "bad" or "good", I was happy that I could draw.

Now when I draw, I always try to get the drawing to look "right", and would often take a long time to finish something because of this - even though in the end I would think to myself the drawing would be better if I spent more time working on it.

I am glad that I have learnt more skills as a result of growing up, but in some ways I miss the mindset I had as a kid - that of drawing as a simple pleasure, without any need to try and make things "perfect".

Maybe you've had similar experiences as a kid?
Sammy Boy

Postby Radical Dreamer » Mon Jun 16, 2008 7:04 pm

The Art Corner has been unfortunately dead for a year or something like that, so honestly, I'm not sure where to move it for now. XD I guess that means it can stay here unless someone finds another place for it. XD

Anyways, I'm not sure my approach to drawing has changed. XD Through practice, I'm now able to make an image that I see in my head, instead of seeing something in my head and having it come out completely different on paper. I still draw for fun (eventually, I hope to do so for a career), but I'm more precise than I used to be, mostly because of the practice I've gotten over the years. XD Even when I was a kid though, I would want my drawings to come out "right," and was much more pleased when they looked better to my 5 year-old eye. XD

I've been my own worst critic since Kindergarten. D8 XDD
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Return to General Entertainment