Vertigo Entertainment developing U.S. Death Note remake

TV, Movies, Sports...you can find it all in here.

Vertigo Entertainment developing U.S. Death Note remake

Postby Roy Mustang » Mon Jun 02, 2008 3:41 pm

U.S. Death Note Remake

ANN wrote:The production notes for the recent horror films Shutter and The Strangers both reveal that America's Vertigo Entertainment is developing a remake of the Death Note franchise and has hired Vlas and Charles Parlapanides to write the screenplay. In Tsugumi Ohba and Takeshi Obata's hit Death Note manga, a teenager finds a notebook with which he can put people to death by writing their names. He begins a self-anointed crusade against the criminals of the world, and a cat-and-mouse game begins with the authorities and one idiosyncratic genius detective.

Vertigo Entertainment (no relation to DC Comics' Vertigo imprint or the United Kingdom's Vertigo Films) has developed or is developing remakes of Ju-on (The Grudge), Dark Water, Infernal Affairs (The Departed), Gin gwai (The Eye), Shutter, My Sassy Girl, Jungdok (Possession), and Janghwa, Hongryeon (The Uninvited). The Parlapanides brothers are writers and executive producers of Undercover, an update of the 21 Jump Street television series which is under development for the CW network.

The Death Note manga has already been adapted into two Japanese live-action films with one spinoff film, an animated television series, assorted television specials, and novels. Viz Media is releasing the manga, the anime series, and a novel, while Viz Pictures released the first Japanese live-action film in theaters in May.

[font="Book Antiqua"]
[color="Red"]Col. Roy Mustang[/color][/font]
Roy Mustang

Postby Radical Dreamer » Mon Jun 02, 2008 3:44 pm

Oh my gosh further proof that Hollywood cannot think of anything original these days.

Come ON. D8
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby bakura_fan » Mon Jun 02, 2008 4:37 pm

disaster. I'm sorry. but I just can't see how this is going to work out.
:angel:

[color=DeepSkyBlue] "He lives in you. He lives in me. [/color]He watches over everything we see.
Into the water. Into the truth. [color=Yellow][color=DeepSkyBlue]In your reflection, He lives in you." - He lives in you chorus[/color][/color]
"Slow, love, slow. Time's so fast. Now goes quickly, see Now it's past!
Soon will come, Soon will last. Wait." [color=Yellow]- Wait (sweeney todd) [/color]

[align=center]My art page.

[align=center]Married to swordguy
:hug:

[/align]
[/align]
bakura_fan

Postby Sheenar » Mon Jun 02, 2008 4:43 pm

Seriously, what is Hollywood smoking?!? They must be doing something to the creative parts of their brains...rendering them incapable of an original idea...XD
"Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal." 2 Corinthians 4:16-18

"Since the creation of the Internet, the Earth's rotation has been fueled, primarily, by the collective spinning of English teachers in their graves."
Sheenar

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Mon Jun 02, 2008 5:52 pm

It's gonna suck.

I CAN TELL.
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby ShiroiHikari » Mon Jun 02, 2008 6:05 pm

WUT. Why do this?! It'll just flop. What a waste of time and money. B[ Stupid Hollywood.
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby LadyRushia » Mon Jun 02, 2008 8:44 pm

"o hay guyz this annie may stuff is real popular. lets make a movie from this one!!1 lololol"

I don't know that much about the plot, but maybe it could work out. Maybe. . .>_>
Fanfiction (updated 1/1/11)-- Lucky Star--Ginsaki ch. 4
[color="Magenta"]Sometimes I post things.[/color]
Image Image Image
LadyRushia

Postby bakura_fan » Mon Jun 02, 2008 8:57 pm

hmm. let's see. maybe the screenplay will exclude shinigami, and this book just happens to magically kill people. However, it's not really the book, but (insert name here) own telepathy that does it for him, he just doesn't know he has it. Replace Ryuk with a long haired girl whose (grammar check please?) face you rarely see and it's hollywood gold. =_=;
:angel:

[color=DeepSkyBlue] "He lives in you. He lives in me. [/color]He watches over everything we see.
Into the water. Into the truth. [color=Yellow][color=DeepSkyBlue]In your reflection, He lives in you." - He lives in you chorus[/color][/color]
"Slow, love, slow. Time's so fast. Now goes quickly, see Now it's past!
Soon will come, Soon will last. Wait." [color=Yellow]- Wait (sweeney todd) [/color]

[align=center]My art page.

[align=center]Married to swordguy
:hug:

[/align]
[/align]
bakura_fan

Postby Tarnish » Mon Jun 02, 2008 9:01 pm

Watch them cast Shia LeBeouf as Light.

JUST WATCH THEM.
i draw things

Ponies are for ages six and under.
Tarnish

Postby Roy Mustang » Mon Jun 02, 2008 9:17 pm

Radical Dreamer wrote:Oh my gosh further proof that Hollywood cannot think of anything original these days.

No, no, no. Hollywood hasn't ran out of any original ideas. They are very hard at work in making movies that have original ideas.

The true sign that Hollywood ran out of ideas is, if they made movie base off the battleship or Monopoly board game.

Kiyone: *whisper in my ear that they are planning to make those movies in 2010*

Oh, fiddlesticks! We are so doom!

[font="Book Antiqua"][color="Red"]Col. Roy Mustang [/color][/font]
Roy Mustang

Postby Sheenar » Mon Jun 02, 2008 9:18 pm

Tarnish (post: 1232280) wrote:Watch them cast Shia LeBeouf as Light.

JUST WATCH THEM.

Wouldn't surprise me one bit. Which is sad.
"Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal." 2 Corinthians 4:16-18

"Since the creation of the Internet, the Earth's rotation has been fueled, primarily, by the collective spinning of English teachers in their graves."
Sheenar

Postby ADXC » Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:03 pm

I like Shia LeBeouf in AMERICAN movies. And I would like to keep it that way. Hasn't he been in a lot(or too many) of movies already?

I doubt Shia would match the dark, murderous character of Light; but as you said Hollywood could do that.
ADXC

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:18 pm

JUST WATCH THEM.

NO. NONONONONO. N-N-N-NO! NOOOOOOO! NONONONONO! N-N-N-NO!

Actually, he's a very good actor for his age. I've been impressed by his performance.
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby Debitt » Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:28 pm

JUST WATCH THEM.

The only thing I can reply to this with is:

[SIZE="5"](*゚∀゚)アハア八アッ八ッノヽ~☆[/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]DEBS: Fan of that manga where the kid's head is on fire.[/SIZE]
Debitt

Postby ADXC » Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:40 pm

@ Debitt- ABSOLUTELY NOT!!

Although he's got the hair, he's more into love or whatever. While Light tosses woman around like a hacky-sack.(But they are for manipulative purposes only.)

But since we're talking about actual roles for the movie, how about someone suggest someone for Misa, L, Ryuk, Rem, and all other characters in DN.
ADXC

Postby Ingemar » Tue Jun 03, 2008 12:59 am

How about Miley Cyrus as Misa? I mean, both are fake blondes and I just want to rake both of their faces against cheese graters for being so ridiculous.

And to echo MSP on an American Deathnote?

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
Job 7:16

I loathe my life; I would not live forever. Let me alone, for my days are but a breath.
Ingemar

Postby GeneD » Tue Jun 03, 2008 1:22 pm

If they make an American Death Note it actually might reach South Africa (whcih would be a nice change), but I don't know, they'll probably butcher it anyway.

As for that guy from Highschool Musical as Light... PLEASE NO! I'm begging you.
I don't know what broke to make you like this, but I must be broken too if I'm standing here praising your destructiveness. -Rock (Black Lagoon)

As I had encountered kindness, I wanted to be kind myself. -Takashi Natsume (Natsume's Book of Friends)

MAL
Twitter
MOES: Promoting sane sigs.
GeneD

Postby ShiroiHikari » Tue Jun 03, 2008 1:35 pm

LOL. ZAC EFRON. What. XD
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby Tarnish » Tue Jun 03, 2008 1:40 pm

They'll probably cast Chris Tucker as Ryuk.

And Angelina Jolie as Rem.
i draw things

Tarnish

Postby Fish and Chips » Tue Jun 03, 2008 1:46 pm

Gary Oldman for Soichiro Yagami.

Protip: All terrible movies have one good casting choice. One.
Fish and Chips

Postby Tarnish » Tue Jun 03, 2008 2:27 pm

Protip: All terrible movies have one good casting choice. One.

Isn't that usually Christopher Walken, nowadays?

That said, if Walken played Ryuk, I'd see this movie. I'd feel cheap and used, but I'd see it.
i draw things

Tarnish

Postby Fish and Chips » Tue Jun 03, 2008 3:03 pm

Tarnish (post: 1232426) wrote:Isn't that usually Christopher Walken, nowadays?

That said, if Walken played Ryuk, I'd see this movie. I'd feel cheap and used, but I'd see it.

Christopher Walken in any movie is worth seeing once.
Fish and Chips

Postby ~darkelfgirl~ » Tue Jun 03, 2008 10:09 pm

Debitt (post: 1232301) wrote:The only thing I can reply to this with is:

*clutches head in madness*

No, no, NO! This wasn't supposed to happen...

Tarnish wrote:They'll probably cast Chris Tucker as Ryuk.

And Angelina Jolie as Rem.

Oh thank-you! I found my long-lost humor.
[color=purple][font=Tahoma][color=royalblue]"But those who wait on the Lord shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings like eagles, they shall run and not be weary, they shall walk and not faint."--[/color]Isaiah 40:31
[/font]
[/color]
~darkelfgirl~

Postby Doubleshadow » Wed Jun 04, 2008 2:35 pm

XD My first reaction to an American remake of Deathnote was, "It has to include in it Christopher Walken somewhere." Glad to know we all think alike.

Seriously though, I'm sure the spirit of the film and the artistic integrity of the story will get mangled into unrecognizable smithereens in the name of insipid accessibility, artistic apathy, and blatant avarice. Here's to hoping somebody somewhere in the movie production assembly line learns their lesson when DB fizzles onto the scene and dies a pitiful death.
[color="Red"]As a man thinks in his heart, so is he. - Proverbs 23:7[/color]

The Sundries
Robin: "If we close our eyes, we can't see anything."
Batman: "A sound observation, Robin."
Doubleshadow

Postby animewarrior » Wed Jun 04, 2008 3:22 pm

JUST WATCH THEM.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOESSSSSSS!!!!!
I don't EVEN watch DEATH NOTE and this a catastrophe! I also HATE Shia LeBeouf *shivers*

and the Zac Efron thing????? RUNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN!!!!!!!!!!
heh. the Miley Cyrus = Misa is LOL LOL LOL LOL
~ The fainter the heartbeat the stronger the soul~

*They're just an incomplete group of people wishing to be whole; and to that end, they're desperately searching for something.* - Namine (Kingdom Hearts 2)
animewarrior

Postby minakichan » Wed Jun 04, 2008 4:30 pm

I'm going to do the unthinkable and *GASP* make my opinion after this movie (or at least the trailers) come out.

Dunno why we have the make the opinion before we get any clue about the quality. ._. Who knows? I don't think there is any credible reason to believe that this is destined to be horrible, except in the mind of a fan who has already make a decision (before any information on this movie has come out!!) At any rate, take the Japanese Death Note movies-- some people think they're amazing, and some people think they suck. There's no middle ground at all, which makes me inclined to believe that the opinions aren't terribly objective.

(Weirdly, I'm not objective at all when it comes to the Monster and 20th Century Boys movies. Both will rock, hands down. I know this because if they don't, Johann and Tomodachi will kill everyone.)

However, I will say one thing. Image

ZAC EFRON IS KIRA. *runs away*
ImageImage
minakichan

Postby ShiroiHikari » Wed Jun 04, 2008 4:39 pm

Well, I personally am just going by the track record of remakes like this. Dunno about anybody else though.
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby Fish and Chips » Wed Jun 04, 2008 4:57 pm

American remakes of Japanese films/properties have this habit of sacrificing plot significance in favor of terrible direction and bad acting. There have been decent efforts out there, yes, but the analogy is akin to diving your hand into an overflowing toilet because you dropped something valuable in it.

Or buying all the newest Sonic games.
Fish and Chips

Postby ADXC » Wed Jun 04, 2008 7:19 pm

OFF TOPIC-Yeah all the old Sonic games were the best. Probably the best game cube Sonic game is "Sonic the hedgehog mega collection". Oh I miss my old Sega Genesis. Oh wait, two years ago I bought another one from eBay and I haven't even played it that much. Am I cruel or what?

Sorry for going off topic.
ADXC

Return to General Entertainment