Transformers 2

TV, Movies, Sports...you can find it all in here.

Postby Roy Mustang » Mon Jun 02, 2008 3:22 pm

What Nate said is the reason why I didn't like the movie at all.

Also, Transformers was part of my childhood and after I grew up a bit, I saw how bad the cartoon was.

I just didn't like the fact that it was more about the humans then the Transformers. Yes, Spike help the Transformers in the cartoon, but in the movie it was 90% humans help and about 10% Transformers help, it should have been the other way around.

As I look back at it, the only good thing about the cartoon was the movie and that was it.

GI JOE is good though, even though you didn't say it wasn't.

I can't speak for Nate, but I believe that he wasn't say that GI Joe wasn't good. He just said that the Transformers movie was more like GI Joe movie then it was Transformers movie.

[font="Book Antiqua"][color="Red"]Col. Roy Mustang[/color][/font]
Roy Mustang

Postby Gabriel 9.0 » Mon Jun 02, 2008 5:27 pm

Roy Mustang (post: 1232195) wrote:What Nate said is the reason why I didn't like the movie at all.

Also, Transformers was part of my childhood and after I grew up a bit, I saw how bad the cartoon was.

I just didn't like the fact that it was more about the humans then the Transformers. Yes, Spike help the Transformers in the cartoon, but in the movie it was 90% humans help and about 10% Transformers help, it should have been the other way around.

As I look back at it, the only good thing about the cartoon was the movie and that was it.

I can't speak for Nate, but I believe that he wasn't say that GI Joe wasn't good. He just said that the Transformers movie was more like GI Joe movie then it was Transformers movie.

You do have a point there. I'm hoping Bay features the Autobots and Decepticons more in number 2.

I find something funny about 2009, not only is Transformers 2 coming but so is the live action GI Joe film.
Some of my favorite scriptures.

Psalm91
A thousand shall fall at thy side, and ten thousand at thy right hand; but it shall not come nigh thee.
Only with thine eyes shalt thou behold and see the reward of the wicked.
Because thou hast made the LORD, which is my refuge, even the most High, thy habitation;
There shall no evil befall thee, neither shall any plague come nigh thy dwelling.

Hebrews 4-4
1Let us therefore fear, lest, a promise being left us of entering into his rest, any of you should seem to come short of it.
2For unto us was the gospel preached, as well as unto them: but the word preached did not profit them, not being mixed with faith in them that heard it.
3For we which have believed do enter into rest, as he said, As I have sworn in my wrath, if they shall enter into my rest: although the works were finished from the foundation of the world.
4For he spake in a certain place of the seventh day on this wise, And God did rest the seventh day from all his works.

James 4
Submit yourselves, then, to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you. Come near to God and he will come near to you. Wash your hands, you sinners, and purify your hearts, you double-minded. Grieve, mourn and wail. Change your laughter to mourning and your joy to gloom. Humble yourselves before the Lord, and he will lift you up.

Revelation 22:14
Blessed are they that do his commandments, that they may have right to the tree of life, and may enter in through the gates into the city.
Gabriel 9.0

Postby Kkun » Mon Jun 02, 2008 7:24 pm

Nate (post: 1232142) wrote:Transformers was a part of my childhood, but I admit the 80s cartoon was pretty terrible. Characters appeared out of nowhere, colors frequently shifted, and not a lot made sense. XD The movie had a slightly (SLIGHTLY) better plot and writing than the cartoon (the original cartoon, Beast Wars blows this trash out of the water).

I was expecting Transformers. What I got instead was G.I. Joe with occasional giant robots. "Transformers, now 95% Transformers free!" Yeah, it's a joke, but the sad part is it's not actually that far from the truth.

Let me give you an example. Jazz is a Transformer. The title of the movie is Transformers. Right? Jazz had two lines in the entire movie. Two. In comparison, the phone operator who appeared in the scene where that soldier was trying to call the Pentagon, also had two lines.

Do you not see the problem here? That one of the supposed STARS of the movie got as many lines as a small throwaway character? That's just absurd, there was no excuse for that. Not only that but you know, watching the final battle in the city, the camera is apparently held by someone with ADD because there's no way to tell what the heck is going on. It doesn't help that all the Transformers pretty much look exactly the same in robot form, with the exception of Optimus and Bumblebee. When your audience can't tell who is fighting who, and how, and where, you have FAILED as a director.

Do I even have to mention the huge plot hole with them turning into vehicles? Okay, let me break it down for you like this. The reason Transformers transform is because they use their alternate mode to disguise themselves as the indigenous life-forms to that planet. This is why in Beast Wars, they turn into animals, and one of the later characters (Botanica) turned into a plant, because they landed on a planet filled with plant life.

This is also why, in the comics, the Dinobots turn into dinosaurs. They crash-landed in the Savage Land (a primitive area filled with dinosaurs) and so they gained dinosaur forms.

The reason why the Transformers, in the cartoon/comics turn into cars and vehicles is that when Teletraan I reactivated, it made a mistake. It actually thought that because there were so many cars, that this was the dominant life form. THAT is why they gained vehicle modes.

In the movie, Teletraan I didn't exist, and heck, even Optimus or whichever one climbed out of the pool at that house, had that little girl ask "Are you the tooth fairy?" making it obvious that THESE were the dominant life forms. Thus for them to gain vehicle alternate modes makes NO SENSE.

Thus ends my rant.

I can see where you're coming from but did they explain all of that in the movie about the transformers getting their shapes from the indigenous lifeforms of the planet? I had no knowledge of that interesting little tidbit until you laid it out so I'm curious to know how much of that is you bringing prior Transformers knowledge into it. It's been a while since I've seen the film so I'm not sure.

Also, if the purpose of them using their alternate form is to blend in, 1) are the Transformers capable of replicating a human appearance and 2) why would it not make sense for them, if they are unable to replicate a human appearance, to transform into the next best thing?

That is excessively more deep than I've EVER wanted to go in thinking about Transformers. God help us all.
I'm a shoe-in for hater of the year.
Kkun

Postby Solid Ronin » Mon Jun 02, 2008 7:30 pm

TeeLay (post: 1232184) wrote:It was an enjoyable movie if you didn't grow up with the franchise and expected it to be more centered on humans.

Ye...S ... So It was better if you knew nothing about the story and thought it wouldn't be about the title characters.

Like going to see Spider-man and him acting like a brooding, poetic, metro-sexual... then saying to a Spider-man fan of 40 years "It was a GREAT Spider-man Movie!" ...

Like wow.

Quick Note: Yes Imma masochist and while looking up news for the new heresy I found out most of the leda human roles wil return... I just hope I get to see Tyrese Gibson's character fleshed out instead of that big leader robot. He was boring.
Solid Ronin

Postby Roy Mustang » Mon Jun 02, 2008 8:14 pm

Kkun wrote:Also, if the purpose of them using their alternate form is to blend in, 1) are the Transformers capable of replicating a human appearance and 2) why would it not make sense for them, if they are unable to replicate a human appearance, to transform into the next best thing?

From the cartoon, they never could replicate a human appearance. I can give two main reasons, why they didn't. First, when the came to Earth, they never saw a human untill they met Spike.

The other reason that I can think of is, why make them in humans. I can't see kids buying the toys, if they look human.

Transformers were toys, and the cartoon and comic were to promote the toys.

Roy Mustang

Postby Tommy » Mon Jun 02, 2008 8:23 pm

Solid Ronin (post: 1232249) wrote:...

Ye...S ... So It was better if you knew nothing about the story and thought it wouldn't be about the title characters.

Like going to see Spider-man and him acting like a brooding, poetic, metro-sexual... then saying to a Spider-man fan of 40 years "It was a GREAT Spider-man Movie!" ...

Like wow.

Quick Note: Yes Imma masochist and while looking up news for the new heresy I found out most of the leda human roles wil return... I just hope I get to see Tyrese Gibson's character fleshed out instead of that big leader robot. He was boring.

I got the concept.
I knew who Optimus Prime and Megatron were and I knew they transformed from cars to giant robots.

I just knew beforehand it would be all about the humans due to who starred in it: A familiar face that most teens love and are familiar with and this movie was primarily targeted towards teens and the teenage drama aspect merged with the Transformers concept thus overshadowing the idea that Transformers is exclusively is for little kids which is what most teenagers think.

Considering they were toy action figures, obviously they were meant for little kids. I suppose they just wanted older kids to consider Transformers "cool" too.

I mean any straight teenage guy would see it for Megan Fox alone.
:thumb:
FKA Tom Dincht

Check out my band if you've got the time.
http://encompass1.bandcamp.com/
Tommy

Postby Solid Ronin » Mon Jun 02, 2008 8:36 pm

TeeLay (post: 1232268) wrote:I got the concept.
I knew who Optimus Prime and Megatron were and I knew they transformed from cars to giant robots.

I just knew beforehand it would be all about the humans due to who starred in it: A familiar face that most teens love and are familiar with and this movie was primarily targeted towards teens and the teenage drama aspect merged with the Transformers concept thus overshadowing the idea that Transformers is exclusively is for little kids which is what most teenagers think.

Considering they were toy action figures, obviously they were meant for little kids. I suppose they just wanted older kids to consider Transformers "cool" too.

I mean any straight teenage guy would see it for Megan Fox alone.
:thumb:

I had a lengthy reply to that but this sums it all up.

I hate you.
Solid Ronin

Postby Kkun » Mon Jun 02, 2008 9:43 pm

Solid Ronin (post: 1232272) wrote:I had a lengthy reply to that but this sums it all up.

I hate you.

Then you hate me, too, because I'd watch it again for all of Megan Fox's scenes!
Kkun

Postby Etoh*the*Greato » Mon Jun 02, 2008 9:54 pm

See, I wasn't that in to Megan Fox, but I was enjoying the movie so much I was willing to pretend I was attracted to her for the sake of the plot.
"I do not feel obliged to believe that that same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forego their use." - Galileo Galilei
ImageImageImageImage
Etoh*the*Greato

Postby Tommy » Mon Jun 02, 2008 11:32 pm

Solid Ronin (post: 1232272) wrote:I had a lengthy reply to that but this sums it all up.

I hate you.

The feeling is mutual.

I never said I thought their advertising schemes were "the way to go."
I'm saying that's Hollywood.
Transformers is just another one of those franchises that "wasn't done right" as a motion picture.

Why not just pretend this doesn't exist just like Mario fans commonly do with the film adaption?

And if you're pretending to be attracted to Megan Fox and you are indeed a male, congratulations on exiting the closet. :thumb:

So in general, I'm not implying that Transformers was "done right" in any way, shape or form. I'm saying what's been done has been done and we might as well get over it.
FKA Tom Dincht

Check out my band if you've got the time.
http://encompass1.bandcamp.com/
Tommy

Postby Nate » Tue Jun 03, 2008 7:12 am

Kkun wrote:I can see where you're coming from but did they explain all of that in the movie about the transformers getting their shapes from the indigenous lifeforms of the planet? I had no knowledge of that interesting little tidbit until you laid it out so I'm curious to know how much of that is you bringing prior Transformers knowledge into it.

They didn't say a word about it in the movie, it's all from the other series. I realize this is a movie and it's not 100% exactly like the other shows in the franchise. Still, they don't give any better explanation, so I still hold that it's a plot hold.
are the Transformers capable of replicating a human appearance

It's not a matter of if they can't. Like Bradley said, in the cartoon they never even saw a human until they met Spike, and by that point they'd already gained their alternate vehicle forms. Transformers can replicate a human appearance using Pretender shells, which they do later on.

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby Kkun » Tue Jun 03, 2008 9:21 am

Nate (post: 1232340) wrote:It's not a matter of if they can't. Like Bradley said, in the cartoon they never even saw a human until they met Spike, and by that point they'd already gained their alternate vehicle forms. Transformers can replicate a human appearance using Pretender shells, which they do later on.

I see what you're saying but I still don't see it as that big of a deal or a huge, gaping plot hole for that matter. To know what you're talking about requires prior knowledge of the Transformers franchise. I'm just saying that without knowing anything about the cartoon or the franchise, I was able to enjoy the movie. They clearly developed the Transformers in a way that is totally different from the series. However, for the average moviegoer, I don't think it really mattered because we just assumed "oh, hay, they're Transformers and they turn into cars. that's a little farfetched, but HEY, I'm watching a movie about giant talking robots with that kid from Even Stevens so I'll just go with it."

Other than that, I am wasting no more time on thinking about Transformers.

Also, Tom, Eric. Boys. Behave yourselves, it's just a movie. No need to get personal with it!
Kkun

Postby creed4 » Tue Jun 03, 2008 2:52 pm

I went in knowing that they did their own take, I guess that's why i didn't mind too much
Tis No Fool to lose what he can not keep to gain what he can never lose.
What does it profit a man to gain the World yet lose his soul.
Choose Life that you Might live.
creed4

Previous

Return to General Entertainment