Best Book-to-Movie Adaptations

TV, Movies, Sports...you can find it all in here.

Best Book-to-Movie Adaptations

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Fri May 16, 2008 6:41 am

What, in your mind, are the best book-to-movie adaptations? (Meaning, they stay true to the book and are just good movies anyway.) Most suck horribly, but there are a few that are actually done well. Not many, but still.

The ones that come to mind right now are the Lord of the Rings trilogy and Bridge to Terabithia. Oh, and Howl's Moving Castle (some liberties were taken, but I think it still holds true to the spirit of the book).
You can find out things about the past that you never knew. And from what you've learned, you may see some things differently in the present. You're the one that changes. Not the past.
- Ellone, Final Fantasy VIII

"There's a difference between maliciously offending somebody - on purpose - and somebody being offended by...truth. If you're offended by the truth, that's your problem. I have no obligation to not offend you if I'm speaking the truth. The truth is supposed to offend you; that's how you know you don't got it."
- Brad Stine
the_wolfs_howl

Postby ich1990 » Fri May 16, 2008 6:58 am

The one that immediately comes to mind is the LOtR trilogy. That was fantastically well done and, if you get the extended editions, relatively true to the books.

Second would be the Harry Potter movies. All in all, I think they have not only captured the essence of each harry potter book, but also cut out a lot of unneccessary filler that made the books so bloated. Obviously, this only counts for first five movies/books.
Where an Eidolon, named night, on a black throne reigns upright.
ich1990

Postby Esoteric » Fri May 16, 2008 7:57 am

The Bourne movies are the best I can think of at the moment. And The Princess Bride was a book before it was a movie...which is rather amusing in light of the way the story is told in the movie...
Esoteric

Postby Scarecrow » Fri May 16, 2008 2:33 pm

Jurassic Park... While its not true to or as good as the book really, it was a well done and awesome movie.

LOTR of course.

I never read The Name of the Rose, but I really liked the movie with Sean Connery. Most people said it was an excellent adaption from book to film.
"Take me down, shake me out. Give me a brain, that I might know You better"
Scarecrow

Postby Nate » Fri May 16, 2008 2:42 pm

"I'm ESPECIALLY looking forward to my all-time favorite fictional character, Tom Bombadil. His delightful yellow boots, the big blue coat, his whimsical songs...'Hey dol, merry dol, ring dong a-dillo!'"

"Tom was actually cut from the film."

"WHAT?! Why?"

"It might have been the yellow boots and the leaping about and singing actually..."

"Well at least there's Radagast the Brown. Communing with the animals, shapeshifting-"

"Yeah he was cut too."

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby Fish and Chips » Fri May 16, 2008 2:45 pm

The Princess Bride, although the book is easily better written.
Fish and Chips

Postby Radical Dreamer » Fri May 16, 2008 3:40 pm

I haven't finished reading The Princess Bride yet, but I've read bits and pieces, and apparently, they stayed fairly true to the book in the script, although I've heard each character gets quite a bit more development.

Kenneth Branagh's Hamlet is an obvious choice, if only because it's unabridged. XD

Even with the liberties taken in the LOTR trilogy, I felt the movies were very well done, and as true to the books as they could be within a time limit (hence no Tom Bombadil (who I always found boring anyways XD) or Radagast the Brown), while adding other points here and there (like the Warg battle in TTT). I'm also biased because I've been a huge LOTR fan since 7th grade, and the movies got me started, but what can I say, they're still well-done. XD

One that half-works is The Count of Monte Cristo. The movie (2001-2?) was excellent, but differs from the book in a lot of ways. I still like both, though. XD
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby jon_jinn » Fri May 16, 2008 4:14 pm

The Lord of the Rings trilogy for sure. the Bourne movies were also quite good but i'm not sure how closely they followed the novels since i've never read any of the novels.
[SIZE="4"]*FASTING FROM CAA (9/25/08 - ???)*[/SIZE]

[SIZE="1"]
"Sometimes we don't present the Gospel well enough for the non-elect to reject it."
- John MacArthur

"In the total expanse of the human life, there is not a single square inch of which Christ, who alone is sovereign, does not declare, 'That is mine'."
- Abraham Kuyper

"God the great Creator of all things doth uphold, direct, dispose, and govern all creatures, actions, and things, from the greatest even to the least, by His most wise and holy providence, according to His infallible foreknowledge and the free and immutable counsel of His own will, to the praise of the glory of His wisdom, power, justice, goodness, and mercy."
- Westminister Confession of Faith (Chapter 5, Section 1)

"The wisdom of God has found a way for the love of God to deliver sinners from the wrath of God all the while upholding the righteousness of God!!"
- John Piper

"Grace is the pleasure of God to magnify the worth of God by giving sinners the right and power to delight in God without obscuring the glory of God!"
-John Piper

"The very One from Whom we need to be saved, is the One Who has saved us."
- R.C. Sproul

"All of Christian life is ceaseless worship of God the Father, through the mediatorship of God the Son, by the indwelling power of God the Spirit, doing what God commands in Scripture, not doing what God forbids in Scripture, in culturally contextualized ways, for the furtherance of the Gospel, when both gathered for adoration, and scattered for action, in joyous response to God's glorious grace."
- Mark Driscoll

"Believers do not pray with the view of informing God about things unknown to Him, or of exciting Him to do His duty, or of urging Him as though He were reluctant. On the contrary, they pray in order that they may arouse themselves to seek Him, that they may exercise their faith in meditating on His promises, that they may relieve themselves from their anxieties by pouring them into His bosom; in a word, that they may declare that from Him alone they hope and expect, both for themselves and for others, all good things."
- Martin Luther

"I have to tell you first that I am ready to die. I have put my affairs in order. Your supreme weapon is killing. My supreme weapon is dying, because when you kill me, people all over Romania will read my books and believe on the God that I preach - even more than they do now."
- Dr. Joseph Ton, the exiled Romanian pastor (quoted by James Montgomery Boice)

"The best prayer I ever prayed had enough sin in it to condemn the whole world."
- John Bunyan

"If the Christian has lost sight of Calvary, that shows that he has lost his way."
- J.I. Packer[/SIZE]
jon_jinn

Postby bigsleepj » Fri May 16, 2008 9:23 pm

The Best adaptation of a written work is definitely The Shawshank Redemption. The novella it was based on, Rita Hayworth and the Shawshank Redemption by Stephen King, was good, Frank Darabont did so much more with the story when he shaped it into a movie.
Unwise Toasting Sermon

The Sweet Smell of CAA
The Avatar Christian Ronin designed for me
An Avatar KhakiBlue gave to me
The avatar Termyt made for me

KhakiBlueSocks wrote:"I'm going to make you a prayer request you can't refuse..." Cue the violins. :lol:

Current Avatar by SirThinks2much - thank you very much! :thumb::)
bigsleepj

Postby Sheenar » Sat May 17, 2008 6:57 am

Schindler's List --I read the book and it's amazing--made me cry in so many places. I heard they were pretty true to the book in the movie (but I haven't seen it yet--I'm a little concerned about the nudity in it though it's necessary given the people are in a concentration camp.)
"Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal." 2 Corinthians 4:16-18

"Since the creation of the Internet, the Earth's rotation has been fueled, primarily, by the collective spinning of English teachers in their graves."
Sheenar

Postby LadyRushia » Sat May 17, 2008 12:56 pm

Though I haven't finished the book yet, I thought Memoirs of a Geisha was well done.
Fanfiction (updated 1/1/11)-- Lucky Star--Ginsaki ch. 4
[color="Magenta"]Sometimes I post things.[/color]
Image Image Image
LadyRushia

Return to General Entertainment