Witchblade prepped for Live Action

TV, Movies, Sports...you can find it all in here.

Witchblade prepped for Live Action

Postby Roy Mustang » Mon May 12, 2008 3:42 pm

Witchblade live action movie?

[quote="ICv2"]Variety is reporting that Top Cow Productions, Arclight Films and Platinum Studios are teaming up for a live action feature film adaptation of the Top Cow comic book series Witchblade. Marc Silvestri and Matt Hawkins will serve as executive producers along with Platinum Studios’ Rich Marincic. Arclight’s Gary Hamilton and Nigel Odell are producing along with Platinum’s Scott Mitchell Rosenberg.

The Witchblade saga centers around a jewel-encrusted gauntlet that is presented to one chosen female in each generation. It began as a Top Cow comic book in 1995, which has now been translated into 21 languages and distributed in 55 countries resulting in sales of over 100 million copies of various Witchblade comic books. Earlier this year Top Cow re-released the first 160-page, full color Witchblade trade paperback collection with a cover price of just $9.99 providing an excellent jumping-on place for new readers.

A made-for-TV movie produced in 2000 led to a two-year run for a Witchblade TV series on the TNT cable network. The property’s most recent screen incarnation was an anime series produced by Gonzo in Japan in 2006 (and distributed in the U.S. by FUNimation, see “Witchblade DVD Tops Anime Chartsâ€
Roy Mustang

Postby Maledicte » Mon May 12, 2008 3:46 pm

But when are they going to make a Darkness movie?
Maledicte

Postby jon_jinn » Mon May 12, 2008 4:54 pm

geez. what's with all of these live-action movies based off of anime/manga series? akira, dbz, speed racer, and now this?
[SIZE="4"]*FASTING FROM CAA (9/25/08 - ???)*[/SIZE]

[SIZE="1"]
"Sometimes we don't present the Gospel well enough for the non-elect to reject it."
- John MacArthur

"In the total expanse of the human life, there is not a single square inch of which Christ, who alone is sovereign, does not declare, 'That is mine'."
- Abraham Kuyper

"God the great Creator of all things doth uphold, direct, dispose, and govern all creatures, actions, and things, from the greatest even to the least, by His most wise and holy providence, according to His infallible foreknowledge and the free and immutable counsel of His own will, to the praise of the glory of His wisdom, power, justice, goodness, and mercy."
- Westminister Confession of Faith (Chapter 5, Section 1)

"The wisdom of God has found a way for the love of God to deliver sinners from the wrath of God all the while upholding the righteousness of God!!"
- John Piper

"Grace is the pleasure of God to magnify the worth of God by giving sinners the right and power to delight in God without obscuring the glory of God!"
-John Piper

"The very One from Whom we need to be saved, is the One Who has saved us."
- R.C. Sproul

"All of Christian life is ceaseless worship of God the Father, through the mediatorship of God the Son, by the indwelling power of God the Spirit, doing what God commands in Scripture, not doing what God forbids in Scripture, in culturally contextualized ways, for the furtherance of the Gospel, when both gathered for adoration, and scattered for action, in joyous response to God's glorious grace."
- Mark Driscoll

"Believers do not pray with the view of informing God about things unknown to Him, or of exciting Him to do His duty, or of urging Him as though He were reluctant. On the contrary, they pray in order that they may arouse themselves to seek Him, that they may exercise their faith in meditating on His promises, that they may relieve themselves from their anxieties by pouring them into His bosom; in a word, that they may declare that from Him alone they hope and expect, both for themselves and for others, all good things."
- Martin Luther

"I have to tell you first that I am ready to die. I have put my affairs in order. Your supreme weapon is killing. My supreme weapon is dying, because when you kill me, people all over Romania will read my books and believe on the God that I preach - even more than they do now."
- Dr. Joseph Ton, the exiled Romanian pastor (quoted by James Montgomery Boice)

"The best prayer I ever prayed had enough sin in it to condemn the whole world."
- John Bunyan

"If the Christian has lost sight of Calvary, that shows that he has lost his way."
- J.I. Packer[/SIZE]
jon_jinn

Postby Etoh*the*Greato » Mon May 12, 2008 5:05 pm

Witchblade was actually an american comic for long long years before it was ever an Anime. It even had a live action show on TnT for a long time.
"I do not feel obliged to believe that that same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forego their use." - Galileo Galilei
ImageImageImageImage
Etoh*the*Greato

Postby Maledicte » Mon May 12, 2008 10:33 pm

So the corrected question would be, "What's with all of these live-action movies based off of comic books? Ironman, the Hulk, Hellboy, and now this?" :grin:
Maledicte

Postby Cognitive Gear » Mon May 12, 2008 10:36 pm

Witchblade before The Darkness? What madness is this?

Oh well. The Darkness already got a nice video game.
[font="Tahoma"][SIZE="2"]"It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things."

-Terry Pratchett[/SIZE][/font]
Cognitive Gear

Postby Etoh*the*Greato » Tue May 13, 2008 9:01 am

The darkness leans a lot less on the fanservice. Execs like the fanservice. At least they're not doing Magdalena.
"I do not feel obliged to believe that that same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forego their use." - Galileo Galilei
ImageImageImageImage
Etoh*the*Greato

Postby GrubbTheFragger » Tue May 13, 2008 9:31 am

Cognitive Gear (post: 1225848) wrote:Witchblade before The Darkness? What madness is this?

Oh well. The Darkness already got a nice video game.

Ya the darkness was an awesome game. But i would still love to see a movie
Follow and suggest movies.

Lightscameracritics.wordpress.com

Now running the 15 days of halloween.
GrubbTheFragger

Postby EricTheFred » Tue May 13, 2008 10:33 am

Hrmm.... with respect to the comic books from which these titles originate, "Witchblade" is the original, "Darkness" is the spinoff. It would make sense to do Witchblade first, yes?

Of course, they did the "LotR" movies before "The Hobbit", so I guess that isn't a given...

Anyhow, "Witchblade" has been Top Cow's flagship title for just about its entire existence, so they're going to dance with the one what brung 'em, I guess.
May the Lord bless you and keep you.
May He cause His face to shine upon you.
May He lift up His countenance and grant you peace.

Maokun: Ninjas or Pirates? (Vikings are not a valid answer, sorry)

EricTheFred: Vikings are always a valid answer.

Feel free to visit My Writing.com Portfolio

Largo: "Well Ed, good to see ya. Guess I gotta beat the crap out of you now."

Jamie Hyneman: "It's just another lovely day at the bomb range. Birds are singing, rabbits are hopping about, and soon there's going to be a big explosion."
EricTheFred

Postby mechana2015 » Tue May 13, 2008 10:57 am

EricTheFred (post: 1225906) wrote:Hrmm.... with respect to the comic books from which these titles originate, "Witchblade" is the original, "Darkness" is the spinoff. It would make sense to do Witchblade first, yes?

Of course, they did the "LotR" movies before "The Hobbit", so I guess that isn't a given...

Anyhow, "Witchblade" has been Top Cow's flagship title for just about its entire existence, so they're going to dance with the one what brung 'em, I guess.

The minor issue with this is that, per recent storyline... the darkness actually predates the witchblade and is integral to its existance.

My Deviantart
"MOES. I can has Sane Sig now?"
mechana2015

Postby EricTheFred » Tue May 13, 2008 7:42 pm

mechana2015 (post: 1225911) wrote:The minor issue with this is that, per recent storyline... the darkness actually predates the witchblade and is integral to its existance.

Yessss.... but of course "The Hobbit" predates "LotR", so that doesn't get us anywhere.

Anyway, they're going to go with their flagship, first. Unlike DC, Marvel, and Dark Horse, Top Cow is new to the feature film level. Witchblade already has a following, since the TV show has a cult following and the anime has a goodl following as well, so by leading with it, they are hedging their bets.

Jamie Hyneman: "It's just another lovely day at the bomb range. Birds are singing, rabbits are hopping about, and soon there's going to be a big explosion."
EricTheFred

Postby Maledicte » Tue May 13, 2008 8:06 pm

EricTheFred (post: 1226028) wrote:Anyway, they're going to go with their flagship, first. Unlike DC, Marvel, and Dark Horse, Top Cow is new to the feature film level. Witchblade already has a following, since the TV show has a cult following and the anime has a goodl following as well, so by leading with it, they are hedging their bets.

True. With Witchblade, people are already familiar with the title even if they haven't read the comic, not to mention the cheap graphic novels they came out with. The Darkness is still more of a geek title.

However Witchblade wouldn't be leading Top Cow onto the screen--Wanted is.
(though apparently I must read this comic. League of Supervillains? Very much yes.)

The darkness leans a lot less on the fanservice. Execs like the fanservice.

Ah, the fanservice in The Darkness leans toward the opposite gender. We need more female execs! :lol:

At least they're not doing Magdalena.

Aww, I love Maggie, theological incorrectness and all.

As long as it's Patience we're talking about, not the other nutcakes.
Maledicte

Postby FKeel » Sat May 17, 2008 7:40 pm

jon_jinn (post: 1225739) wrote:geez. what's with all of these live-action movies based off of anime/manga series? akira, dbz, speed racer, and now this?

well technically, Witchblade did NOT start off as an anime/manga series. It just started off as an American comic book created by a handful of comic book artist that were coming from the Marvel / DC comics "world" and were creating their own comic book company called Image Comics.

It eventually led to Marc Silverstri and others going on to create Top Cow Productions (The Publisher of Witchblade).

In 2000, they went on to create a TV-movie based on the comic and it did not do too well. It wasn't until recently that the original Witchblade creators partnered with a Japanese anime studio called Gonza to release the first Witchblade anime TV series. (I thought the anime was awesome!)

Now, they're going back to make another live action film. In my opinion, unless the original creators of Top Cow are involved with the production of the film and unless they can find the right actress to portray the main character, then the movie will be great. If they're not involved, the movie will suck. But that's just my opinion.
Wherever you are in life, Jesus loves you very much!;)
FKeel

Postby EricTheFred » Sun May 18, 2008 1:37 pm

SirThinks2Much (post: 1226046) wrote:However Witchblade wouldn't be leading Top Cow onto the screen--Wanted is. (though apparently I must read this comic. League of Supervillains? Very much yes.)

Wanted movie? I hadn't heard about it. Went and found the web site. Quite a cast they've arranged.

EricTheFred

Postby mitsuki lover » Mon May 19, 2008 12:16 pm

The tv series was limited though in what she could actually DO with the Witchblade as compared to the comic book.
mitsuki lover

Postby Maledicte » Mon May 19, 2008 12:36 pm

FKeel (post: 1227114) wrote:Now, they're going back to make another live action film. In my opinion, unless the original creators of Top Cow are involved with the production of the film and unless they can find the right actress to portray the main character, then the movie will be great. If they're not involved, the movie will suck. But that's just my opinion.

The news blurb says that Marc Silvestri will be one of the executive producers. Matt Hawkins is president of Top Cow, and he's been doing a fine job I think with the material that's been coming out lately. I only read a few titles, but they're tightly connected in a good way.

Matt Hawkins wrote:The way I looked at Top Cow from early on was that we need to be a very small boutique publisher. The one thing that Marc and I agree on is that we don’t really have any desire to be big. We don’t have a desire to be a Tokyopop, a Marvel, or a DC that’s pumping out a hundred titles a month. You see a lot of upstart companies all the time – and when I see them just starting out with sixteen, eighteen, or twenty titles in month, that’s the first sign of their death knell. You can only sustain so much.

Right. Marc and I are into comics – of course, but also videogames and movies, and other entertainment, and we’ve both come to the conclusion that we’d rather not have something done than have it be bad. That’s something I’ve seen a lot of people doing, particularly in films and the like – they take whatever deal is thrown at them where they get some cash. I’m not going to fault anyone for taking money, by any means, but for us – we held out for years on these Darkness and Witchblade videogame and animation deals in order to find the correct thing that we would work.

Good man.
Maledicte

Postby Nate » Mon May 19, 2008 12:43 pm

Why did he mention Tokyopop? They mostly just translate stuff, they don't write or draw it. So even if they do pump out a hundred titles a month, that wouldn't make the quality suffer, since they're not the ones in charge of producing it, merely translating.

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby Maledicte » Mon May 19, 2008 6:39 pm

Nate (post: 1227426) wrote:Why did he mention Tokyopop? They mostly just translate stuff, they don't write or draw it. So even if they do pump out a hundred titles a month, that wouldn't make the quality suffer, since they're not the ones in charge of producing it, merely translating.

He's not saying the quality suffers. He's just saying that TC is still a relatively small company, and if they try to pump out as much as the bigger publishers, their quality might suffer. He's not saying anything about how well the other publishers are doing (and they're doing it quite well), just that it's not a good practice in general for small and/or new comic companies.

Wikipedia says that Tokyopop is planning on producing 100 OEM/manga adaptations within the next two years. And Tokyopop is younger than Top Cow.
Maledicte

Return to General Entertainment