Bioshock Headed To Film

TV, Movies, Sports...you can find it all in here.

Bioshock Headed To Film

Postby Roy Mustang » Mon May 12, 2008 12:39 am

Bioshock movie

Sci Fi channel wrote:Universal has signed a deal to adapt the hit SF video game Bioshock into a film under director Gore Verbinski (Pirates of the Caribbean), Variety reported.

Verbinski is also attached to produce, and Aviator writer John Logan is in talks to pen the screenplay.

Bioshock publisher Take-Two Interactive is getting a multimillion-dollar advance against gross points on the movie deal, which is believed to be the biggest video-game-to-movie deal since 2005, when Universal and Fox signed on to the since-aborted Halo movie adaptation.

Bioshock takes place in an underwater city based on the free market principles of Ayn Rand, but things have gone disastrously wrong. Players control a pilot who crash-lands at a secret entrance to the city, called Rapture, and is drawn into a power struggle, during which he discovers that his will is not as free as he'd thought.

Verbinski told the trade paper that Rapture's art-deco design and visually arresting characters--such as the mechanical Big Daddys, who protect genetically mutated girls called Little Sisters--inspired him to see the game as a film.

Though no release date is even being targeted, Verbinski said he plans to start preproduction as soon as Logan's script is finished and approved by all involved.

[color="Red"][font="Book Antiqua"]
Col. Roy Mustang[/font][/color]
Roy Mustang

Postby Nate » Mon May 12, 2008 1:00 am

I demand a scene of the main character hanging from midair on his wrench while he plays Pipe Dream to hack into a security camera, while the monsters underneath him patiently wait for him to finish.

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Mon May 12, 2008 1:22 am

If you're going to imitate Yahtzee, then give him the credit. =p

I just hope that the movie doesn't suck.
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby bigsleepj » Mon May 12, 2008 8:01 am

Mr. SmartyPants (post: 1225551) wrote:I just hope that the movie doesn't suck.

My thoughts exactly.
Unwise Toasting Sermon

The Sweet Smell of CAA
The Avatar Christian Ronin designed for me
An Avatar KhakiBlue gave to me
The avatar Termyt made for me

KhakiBlueSocks wrote:"I'm going to make you a prayer request you can't refuse..." Cue the violins. :lol:

Current Avatar by SirThinks2much - thank you very much! :thumb::)
bigsleepj

Postby Radical Dreamer » Mon May 12, 2008 8:20 am

Actually, this is pretty neat, since I was interested by the story of Bioshock but hate FPS games and had no means of playing, anyways. XD Hopefully, this'll turn out well, though I always have my qualms with video game-turned movies. XD We'll see, I guess.
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Wed May 14, 2008 7:11 pm

I'm worried because it's Gore Verbinski...

I don't trust Gore Verbinski. =(
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby GrubbTheFragger » Wed May 14, 2008 8:57 pm

Mr. SmartyPants (post: 1226286) wrote:I'm worried because it's Gore Verbinski...

I don't trust Gore Verbinski. =(

XD why not may i ask?

Anyways, I third the notion of the not sucking, I adored the game and want it to make a excellent horror/thriller/action movie.
Follow and suggest movies.

Lightscameracritics.wordpress.com

Now running the 15 days of halloween.
GrubbTheFragger

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Wed May 14, 2008 8:58 pm

Because he directed Pirates of the Caribbean.

That is why I don't care for him.
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby Nate » Wed May 14, 2008 11:14 pm

He directed an awesome movie.

Therefore I am worried.

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby Htom Sirveaux » Thu May 15, 2008 2:05 pm

Bioshock doesn't need to be a movie. The game was epic enough, and being that it was a game, it was interactive to boot. Besides, if they screw it up, there will inevitably be tons of rabid, obsessed fanboys tearing it to bits. Game-based movies are extremely hard to get right. The only 2 I ever liked were Mortal Kombat (bite me, it was good) and Silent Hill. I'd give Bioshock a chance, but I go into these situations not expecting much.
If this post seems too utterly absurd or ridiculous to be taken seriously, don't. :)
Htom Sirveaux

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Sat May 17, 2008 4:39 pm

Nate (post: 1226348) wrote:He directed an awesome movie.

Followed by two pretty BAD PoTC films.

Anyway, my sentiments follow with this guys: (HEAVY SPOILERS and not my words)
[spoiler]Even if true, it would be a pretty bad idea. This game's story was built from the ground up for a video game as its medium. The entire "Would you kindly..." aspect falls completely to pieces in a movie. In a game, the players are accustomed to following checkpoints, mission goals and orders from disembodied voices because we know it will progress the game. To have this gameplay element weaved into the narrative and turned against the player was a mind blowing shock and changes the way we view the relationship between player and game. But when characters in a movie blindly follow order or make questionable decisions that clearly serve only to move the plot forward, it's completely hokey. It's no better than the dumb teenagers in slasher flicks that stay the night in the haunted house and decide to split up when the monster starts killing everyone despite the sage advice of the loud obnoxious guy behind you in the theater shouting "Don't go in there, you idolt!" .[/spoiler]

So really, I would much prefer it if the movie was more loosely adapted to Bioshock's story rather than a direct adaptation that follows the plot of the game. If it has a good plot that can fit in well with the Series' plot (As a sequel has been confirmed) and has the same atmospheric feeling, then I will be a happy child.
Mr. SmartyPants

Return to General Entertainment