Speed Racer!Booyaa!

TV, Movies, Sports...you can find it all in here.

Speed Racer!Booyaa!

Postby Amzi Live » Sun Apr 13, 2008 2:29 pm

I just saw the trailer at the movies,and I just can't miss this one.Especially since the Wachowski Brothers directed this.WOOT!:hits_self
Anyone planing on watching it?
[font="Arial Narrow"] Teach me thy way, O LORD; I will walk in thy truth: unite my heart to fear thy name. Psalm86:11[/font]
Proud lurker? Join MOES,and help us stay cool.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Amzi Live

Postby rocklobster » Sun Apr 13, 2008 2:54 pm

Yep. I want to compare it to the original. Hope it doesn't suck!
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."
--Jeremiah 1:5
Hit me up on social media!
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007205508246<--Facebook

I'm also on Amino as Radical Edward, and on Reddit as Rocklobster as well.

click here for my playlist!
my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby ShiroiHikari » Sun Apr 13, 2008 3:24 pm

I think it looks kinda awesome. I definitely want to try and go see it in the theatre.
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby Raiden no Kishi » Sun Apr 13, 2008 4:47 pm

I don't know about this one, to be honest. A lot of the colors are a bit too bright. It's hard to make cartoon colors work in live-action. I think if they deepened their colors somewhat, it wouldn't look quite so dissonant. I'll probably end up seeing it anyway. XD It does look rather cool effects-wise (it is the same duo who did The Matrix, after all), and the Mach 5 is one of the fictional vehicles I would seriously injure someone to own (^_~), so we'll see. It could end up being really good.

.rai//
[raiden's liveJournal]

[color="Indigo"]"I believe whatever doesn't kill you simply makes you . . . stranger."[/color]

Strollin' in at dawn, wakin' up at noon's gonna catch up to me soon
'Just sleep when you're dead' is what I said 'cause I'm jumpin' off the moon
Raiden no Kishi

Location: Ticking away/The hours that make up the dull day . . .

Postby Radical Dreamer » Sun Apr 13, 2008 4:49 pm

I actually saw the trailer for this and had the complete opposite reaction. XD

"...What. Were. They. Thinking?"

But hey, whatever floats your boat, right? XD
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby LadyRushia » Sun Apr 13, 2008 4:59 pm

I saw the trailer and though it looked awesome.
Fanfiction (updated 1/1/11)-- Lucky Star--Ginsaki ch. 4
[color="Magenta"]Sometimes I post things.[/color]
Image Image Image
LadyRushia

Postby Raiden no Kishi » Sun Apr 13, 2008 5:01 pm

Radical Dreamer (post: 1216945) wrote:I actually saw the trailer for this and had the complete opposite reaction. XD

"...What. Were. They. Thinking?"

But hey, whatever floats your boat, right? XD

Haha, that was my initial reaction as well. "Wow, they are really going to blow this one like a cracked engine block [/obligatory car comparison]" I guess I'm trying to rein in my cynical tendencies and give people a chance. Plus, the subsequent times I watched the trailer, it looked better.

.rai//
[raiden's liveJournal]

[color="Indigo"]"I believe whatever doesn't kill you simply makes you . . . stranger."[/color]

Strollin' in at dawn, wakin' up at noon's gonna catch up to me soon
'Just sleep when you're dead' is what I said 'cause I'm jumpin' off the moon
Raiden no Kishi

Location: Ticking away/The hours that make up the dull day . . .

Postby Etoh*the*Greato » Sun Apr 13, 2008 7:47 pm

I'm looking forward to this movie! I don't think it will be good, but it will sure as heck be FUN!
"I do not feel obliged to believe that that same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forego their use." - Galileo Galilei
ImageImageImageImage
Etoh*the*Greato

Postby Amzi Live » Sun Apr 13, 2008 8:22 pm

Yeah! Ha! My friend said the same thing.I called my friend the day after seing the trailer,and I said:
"Dude! Two words,Speed Racer."
"You called me for THAT!"
*click.............*
*I called him again*
"Dude,did you hang up on me?"
"Yeah"
"But it's going to be awesome"
"What were they thinkings"
:P
[font="Arial Narrow"] Teach me thy way, O LORD; I will walk in thy truth: unite my heart to fear thy name. Psalm86:11[/font]
Proud lurker? Join MOES,and help us stay cool.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Amzi Live

Postby GrubbTheFragger » Sun Apr 13, 2008 8:40 pm

I actually like the looks of it. Overly stylized FTW!
Follow and suggest movies.

Lightscameracritics.wordpress.com

Now running the 15 days of halloween.
GrubbTheFragger

Postby rii namuras » Mon Apr 14, 2008 12:19 am

[color="Red"](I'm going to have to go see this just for nostalgia's sake, because Speed Racer was my first anime EVAR.)[/color]
rii namuras

Postby Kkun » Mon Apr 14, 2008 7:18 am

I'm seeing this opening night, you guys. No questions.
I'm a shoe-in for hater of the year.
Kkun

Postby Cap'n Nick » Mon Apr 14, 2008 11:19 am

At first I was skeptical. Out of all the derivative movies coming out, this one had some of the weakest source material in the bunch. But then I realized: that was its strength. Their foundation is no more than the shadow of a memory of something that was barely there to begin with. For this reason, the Wachowski brothers have no choice but to embark upon the greatest crap-polishing known to man!

On a more positive note, what they are doing has some potential that I can really appreciate. It's a family movie, not animated, not made by Disney and packed with big names, a big budget and tons of action and effects. Plus it's shaping up to be weird and cool in a way somewhat reminiscent of the things I like in, well, anime. If it works, maybe the next person that wants to try something like this won't need a forty-year-old pop culture chestnut and Matrix-level directing clout to pull it off.
Cap'n Nick

Postby Kanerou » Mon Apr 14, 2008 11:44 am

Considering the... sheer... seriously, just look at the thing. It's either gonna really work or just be bad. How can you find middle ground with graphics like those?
"You've gotta speak about those things you don't currently see as though they already exist. Back in the beginning, God didn't look into space and say, 'Gee, it's dark.' He called light into existence."

Gotta Getta Gundam. ;)

Raiden no Kishi (post: 1218170) wrote:Also, I hope never to hear "Nate" and "prance" in the same sentence again . . .
Kanerou

Postby Scarecrow » Mon Apr 14, 2008 12:46 pm

This is my most anticipated movie of the year :D I have never seen the actual cartoon and I have no desire to but this movie looks fricken AWESOME! Ok the movie may very well be crap but visually it looks amazing. I love all the bright colors and over stylized look.

I always thought they should do a movie like this well before the trailer came out (overly stylized and bright) so when I saw the trailer I about died.
"Take me down, shake me out. Give me a brain, that I might know You better"
Scarecrow

Postby ChristianKitsune » Mon Apr 14, 2008 3:18 pm

I'm taking my dad to see it XD He LOVED speed racer as a kid. 83.

It looks really awesome!
ImageImage
Stick Monkey Chronicles
Web-Manga Hosted by: The Project
ChristianKitsune

Location: In my sketchbook of wonderment and puffy pink clouds! *\^o^/*

Postby Roy Mustang » Mon Apr 14, 2008 4:12 pm

This doesn't have anything to do with the movie, but I thought that I throw it out there.

The will be a new cartoon series of Speed Racer coming in May. The series will be called Speed Racer: The Next Generation and it will focus on the sons of the original Speed Racer. Also Peter Fernandez will play the voice of the the middle age version of Spritle.

As for the movie. I plan on seeing it, but I will have to see it, before I can place any judgment on it.

[color="Red"][font="Book Antiqua"]Col. Roy Mustang[/font][/color]
Roy Mustang

Postby Hana Ryuuzaki » Mon Apr 14, 2008 4:30 pm

rii namuras (post: 1217073) wrote:[color="Red"](I'm going to have to go see this just for nostalgia's sake, because Speed Racer was my first anime EVAR.)[/color]

[font="Palatino Linotype"]Same here, actually...

I'm not too keen on the Speed Racer movie.

But...don't you think that it would've been more sensible for the Japanese to make the movie first??[/font]
[SIGPIC]http://christiananime.net/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=9906&dateline=1214542817[/SIGPIC]
[SIZE="1"][color="Plum"]WHY GOD MADE J-ROCK: Kamijo[/color][/SIZE]
[color="LightBlue"][SIZE="3"][font="Century Gothic"]Crucify My Love, If My Love Is Blind...[/SIZE][/color][/font]
Hana Ryuuzaki

Postby Scarecrow » Sat May 10, 2008 4:43 am

So did anyone see this yet? I hear its horrible but I still very much want to see it (oooo shiny!).

I only just saw an episode of speed racer a couple weeks ago and I really don't see why of all the animes those brothers decided to make THAT into a movie... but whatever. It can't be any worse than the cartoon...
Scarecrow

Postby Etoh*the*Greato » Sat May 10, 2008 8:14 am

Everyone is slamming it, but I think I was pretty much right. It was a heck of a lot of fun. Keep in mind it's a kids movie and try not to take it too seriously.
"I do not feel obliged to believe that that same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forego their use." - Galileo Galilei
ImageImageImageImage
Etoh*the*Greato

Postby mechana2015 » Sat May 10, 2008 11:55 am

I saw this last night and frankly... its amazing. Its an amazingreimagunig of the typical speed racer storyline with references EVERYWHERE to the animation, including environments and stuff plot points. Its very bright colored, but heck... thats the original Speed racer cartoon too, where the sky was purple, the road was blue the dirt was orange and on top of it all you had speed in a blue red and white getup. Casting was great as well, especially for appearance coherancy with the animation charachters.

I think it was awesome, a great tribute to the show, both in visual and story elements. Design wise, its so anime its amazing, and they played the campiness of the original up very well.

This movie won't be for everyone, but I enjoyed the heck out of it.

Also a little note.
I saw it in Imax. O.O

The color and clarity is amazing. But the real world seems very....dull colored right now. I think it would be ok to see this on a normal, smaller screen. Or risk frying your synapses for color vison.

My Deviantart
"MOES. I can has Sane Sig now?"
mechana2015

Postby Cap'n Nick » Sat May 10, 2008 2:04 pm

I experienced that, too. Everything is all normal-colored, and this saddens me.

And that really sums up how I feel about this movie. It was so awesome that it makes me sad that I am unlikely to ever again experience anything so awesome. All of those mediocre movies I went to, all of those times I shelled out eight bucks for a flick so inferior to this--will I ever be able to stand it again? Chances are I will, but not without cursing them for doing so little when I have seen so clearly how much better it can be.
Cap'n Nick

Postby Fish and Chips » Sat May 10, 2008 2:09 pm

Roy Mustang (post: 1217241) wrote:The series will be called Speed Racer: The Next Generation

Patrick Stewart in a Japanese cartoon about continental car racing is just about the greatest thing I can conceive of.
Fish and Chips

Postby animewarrior » Sat May 10, 2008 2:16 pm

I've never actually really heard about the anime til now... *hides in Igloo* but the movie looks ok....but then again this is coming from teh girl who watched the Hotwheels Acceleracers movie series just last week and purchased Quest for Camelot last Sunday...^^
~ The fainter the heartbeat the stronger the soul~

*They're just an incomplete group of people wishing to be whole; and to that end, they're desperately searching for something.* - Namine (Kingdom Hearts 2)
animewarrior

Postby Etoh*the*Greato » Sat May 10, 2008 2:20 pm

Ensign, take us to Mach factor 5!
ImageImageImageImage
Etoh*the*Greato

Postby Ashley » Sat May 10, 2008 3:08 pm

Cap'n Nick wrote:I experienced that, too. Everything is all normal-colored, and this saddens me.

And that really sums up how I feel about this movie. It was so awesome that it makes me sad that I am unlikely to ever again experience anything so awesome. All of those mediocre movies I went to, all of those times I shelled out eight bucks for a flick so inferior to this--will I ever be able to stand it again? Chances are I will, but not without cursing them for doing so little when I have seen so clearly how much better it can be.

Quoted for truth, yo.

I actually called all my friends and family on the way home from the theater and raved about how great it was. I especially loved how they played with a lot of assumptions for those of us who vaguely remember the series; it makes me happy to be in my twenties so that I'm old enough to actually remember seeing the cartoon as a kid. I think this is the best movie I will see this year.
Ashley

Postby minakichan » Sat May 10, 2008 3:38 pm

I'm going to watch this solely for visuals, with very low expectations of the plot. I know that some people think the colors look weird, but it seems pretty innovative from the trailer, and I'm curious to see how it plays out. At the very least, it'll be a good study in how these kinds of visuals can create effect.
ImageImage
minakichan

Postby Scarecrow » Sat May 10, 2008 4:11 pm

minakichan (post: 1224965) wrote:I'm going to watch this solely for visuals, with very low expectations of the plot. I know that some people think the colors look weird, but it seems pretty innovative from the trailer, and I'm curious to see how it plays out. At the very least, it'll be a good study in how these kinds of visuals can create effect.

Same here.. I'm really only interested in this for the visuals. It looks fantastic. Story wise I don't have much expectations for but thats not why I wanted to see this anyway. I'm hoping to see it in IMAX soon =D
Scarecrow

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Sat May 10, 2008 4:45 pm

Think of it this way: It's an animated film that's live action.

I know half of Korea is going to be watching this movie just because Rain is in it.

And by half of Korea, I mean ALL of South Korea.
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby mechana2015 » Sat May 10, 2008 6:45 pm

Etoh*the*Greato (post: 1224919) wrote:Ensign, take us to Mach factor 5!

Only people that see the movie will get this but:

Forget mach factor 5... WE'RE GOING PLAID (or rather... checkered).

My Deviantart
"MOES. I can has Sane Sig now?"
mechana2015

Next

Return to General Entertainment