What Manga are you reading?

Post about anime's sister, manga in here. Manga reviews accepted in here as well.

Postby jon_jinn » Fri Apr 25, 2008 6:52 pm

Hunter x Hunter volume 18-19
Eyeshield 21 volume 19
[SIZE="4"]*FASTING FROM CAA (9/25/08 - ???)*[/SIZE]

[SIZE="1"]
"Sometimes we don't present the Gospel well enough for the non-elect to reject it."
- John MacArthur

"In the total expanse of the human life, there is not a single square inch of which Christ, who alone is sovereign, does not declare, 'That is mine'."
- Abraham Kuyper

"God the great Creator of all things doth uphold, direct, dispose, and govern all creatures, actions, and things, from the greatest even to the least, by His most wise and holy providence, according to His infallible foreknowledge and the free and immutable counsel of His own will, to the praise of the glory of His wisdom, power, justice, goodness, and mercy."
- Westminister Confession of Faith (Chapter 5, Section 1)

"The wisdom of God has found a way for the love of God to deliver sinners from the wrath of God all the while upholding the righteousness of God!!"
- John Piper

"Grace is the pleasure of God to magnify the worth of God by giving sinners the right and power to delight in God without obscuring the glory of God!"
-John Piper

"The very One from Whom we need to be saved, is the One Who has saved us."
- R.C. Sproul

"All of Christian life is ceaseless worship of God the Father, through the mediatorship of God the Son, by the indwelling power of God the Spirit, doing what God commands in Scripture, not doing what God forbids in Scripture, in culturally contextualized ways, for the furtherance of the Gospel, when both gathered for adoration, and scattered for action, in joyous response to God's glorious grace."
- Mark Driscoll

"Believers do not pray with the view of informing God about things unknown to Him, or of exciting Him to do His duty, or of urging Him as though He were reluctant. On the contrary, they pray in order that they may arouse themselves to seek Him, that they may exercise their faith in meditating on His promises, that they may relieve themselves from their anxieties by pouring them into His bosom; in a word, that they may declare that from Him alone they hope and expect, both for themselves and for others, all good things."
- Martin Luther

"I have to tell you first that I am ready to die. I have put my affairs in order. Your supreme weapon is killing. My supreme weapon is dying, because when you kill me, people all over Romania will read my books and believe on the God that I preach - even more than they do now."
- Dr. Joseph Ton, the exiled Romanian pastor (quoted by James Montgomery Boice)

"The best prayer I ever prayed had enough sin in it to condemn the whole world."
- John Bunyan

"If the Christian has lost sight of Calvary, that shows that he has lost his way."
- J.I. Packer[/SIZE]
jon_jinn

Postby Kurama » Fri Apr 25, 2008 10:19 pm

OURAN HIGH SCHOOL HOST CLUB Vol 4!
Kurama

Postby Fish and Chips » Sat Apr 26, 2008 12:51 pm

Blade of the Immortal vol. 7-10
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure vol. 67

All excellent volumes for their respective series.
Fish and Chips

Postby yukoxholic » Sat Apr 26, 2008 5:08 pm

Just Bought High School Debut Volumes 1 & 2 and started reading as well as Mobile Suit Gundam Ecole du Ciel Volume 8, and Kaze no Hana Volume 1.
yukoxholic

Postby jon_jinn » Sun Apr 27, 2008 2:30 pm

halfway through Blade of Immortal volume 18.
Getbackers volume 23

[SIZE="1"]
"Sometimes we don't present the Gospel well enough for the non-elect to reject it."
- John MacArthur

"In the total expanse of the human life, there is not a single square inch of which Christ, who alone is sovereign, does not declare, 'That is mine'."
- Abraham Kuyper

"God the great Creator of all things doth uphold, direct, dispose, and govern all creatures, actions, and things, from the greatest even to the least, by His most wise and holy providence, according to His infallible foreknowledge and the free and immutable counsel of His own will, to the praise of the glory of His wisdom, power, justice, goodness, and mercy."

"The wisdom of God has found a way for the love of God to deliver sinners from the wrath of God all the while upholding the righteousness of God!!"
- John Piper

"Grace is the pleasure of God to magnify the worth of God by giving sinners the right and power to delight in God without obscuring the glory of God!"
-John Piper

- R.C. Sproul

"All of Christian life is ceaseless worship of God the Father, through the mediatorship of God the Son, by the indwelling power of God the Spirit, doing what God commands in Scripture, not doing what God forbids in Scripture, in culturally contextualized ways, for the furtherance of the Gospel, when both gathered for adoration, and scattered for action, in joyous response to God's glorious grace."
- Mark Driscoll

"Believers do not pray with the view of informing God about things unknown to Him, or of exciting Him to do His duty, or of urging Him as though He were reluctant. On the contrary, they pray in order that they may arouse themselves to seek Him, that they may exercise their faith in meditating on His promises, that they may relieve themselves from their anxieties by pouring them into His bosom; in a word, that they may declare that from Him alone they hope and expect, both for themselves and for others, all good things."
- Martin Luther

"I have to tell you first that I am ready to die. I have put my affairs in order. Your supreme weapon is killing. My supreme weapon is dying, because when you kill me, people all over Romania will read my books and believe on the God that I preach - even more than they do now."

"The best prayer I ever prayed had enough sin in it to condemn the whole world."
- John Bunyan

"If the Christian has lost sight of Calvary, that shows that he has lost his way."
- J.I. Packer[/SIZE]
jon_jinn

Postby kryptech » Sun Apr 27, 2008 2:35 pm

Kekkaishi volumes 4 through 6: a deeper plot is starting to show itself
Blame! volume 1: just checking it out. I found it vague and confusing but because of the grim dystopian setting I'll likely read the rest of the series.
"Everybody's weird in their own special way." - P.V.
"Never refuse a breath mint." - my dad
"The UAC is making safer worlds through superior firepower." - Doom 3
"This world is a great sculptor's shop. We are the statues and there is a rumour going round the shop that some of us are some day going to come to life." - C.S. Lewis, Mere Christianity

"I'm too cool to scroll. -- MOES."
kryptech

Postby jon_jinn » Sun Apr 27, 2008 4:50 pm

Hunter x Hunter volumes 20-24

[SIZE="1"]
- John MacArthur

- Abraham Kuyper

- John Piper

-John Piper

- R.C. Sproul

- Mark Driscoll

- Martin Luther

- John Bunyan

- J.I. Packer[/SIZE]
jon_jinn

Postby mysngoeshere56 » Sun Apr 27, 2008 6:33 pm

Right now, the second Tsubasa Chronicle book.

I finished the first Tsubasa and the first D.N.Angel a few days ago.
mysngoeshere56

Postby uc pseudonym » Mon Apr 28, 2008 12:57 pm

Kurohime Volume 4
Doubt Volume 2
Biomeat Nectar Volume 5

Nothing stellar, but all titles that show some promise.
uc pseudonym

Postby KeybladeWarrior » Mon Apr 28, 2008 1:17 pm

Rurouni Kenshin volume 17 (last volume to finish the Kyoto arc!)
Fushigi Yugi volume 2

Finished:
Dragon Drive vol. 5 and Rurouni Kenshin vol. 16
@)}~`,~ Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks, To All
The CAA Moderators.

"YEAH TOAST! TOCAA!"
KeybladeWarrior

Postby AsianBlossom » Tue Apr 29, 2008 3:32 pm

Series I'm currently reading: Kitchen Princess and One Piece. Yes, these are both current series, and it'll take like FOREVER to get through One Piece...:P

But hey, so far the story's pretty good...I recently finished book 12 (and now to wait for my brother to purchase the next two. He gladly lets me read them, once he's finished of course XD But hey, it's fair and it works)
RESPECT THE UNBORN AND CHOOSE LIFE...your mother did.

"Do not underestimate the power of the muffin! The muffin will smite all those who question it! The muffin will crush all nay-sayers! He who controls the muffin shall control the entire world!" -Taishi, Comic Party English Dub
AsianBlossom

Postby Fish and Chips » Tue Apr 29, 2008 4:48 pm

Blade of the Immortal vol. 11-14
Fish and Chips

Postby Fish and Chips » Sat May 03, 2008 9:32 pm

Blade of the Immortal vol. 15-17
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure vol. 68
Vinland Saga vol. 3

I've heard Blade of the Immortal's experiment arc isn't all that popular, but I enjoyed it. "Enjoyed" used loosely. JoJo's Stone Ocean is still going strong too, might bump the discussion thread for it.

Vinland Saga is entertaining enough, though not too compelling. Good for what ales ya.
Fish and Chips

Postby MasterDias » Sat May 03, 2008 9:32 pm

Been awhile since I've posted here:

Blade of the Immortal, Volume 7
Muhyo & Roji, Volume 4

Double Arts
-I'm hoping this one sticks around in Jump, as the start has been pretty promising.

Nurarihyon no Mago
-----------------------------------------
"Always seek to do good to one another and to all."
1 Thessalonians 5:15

"Every story must have an ending." - Auron - Final Fantasy X

"A small stone may make a ripple at first, but someday it will be a wave." - Wiegraf - Final Fantasy Tactics
MasterDias

Postby minakichan » Sat May 03, 2008 9:48 pm

.............I started reading Flame of Recca again. o_O

I read it first in 7th grade. It was the first manga series I ever read the whole way through, at 300+ chapters. Yes, it's trite shounen fight manga, yes, it has a tournament, but wow, I feel SO much nostalgia. I really loved some of the character (Koganei and Fuuko and Joker!) and the lovely art with pretty long eyelashes.

This is a total throwback to my childhood, which I've been feeling really disconnected from recently. I really needed this. It's like therapy.
ImageImage
minakichan

Postby Aileen Kailum » Sat May 03, 2008 11:29 pm

Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicles volumes 1, 2, and 3
It's interesting to read these and cross-reference then with xxxHolic.

D.N. Angel volume 4
I really love the art in this series. No way I'm buying it until it's for sure completed, but still. Pretty to look at.
Need some excitement and meaning to brighten your bleak existence? Enter the CAA Monthly Manga contest!
(Warning: side affects may/will include irritability, the cramping of hands, frustration, and/or loss of sleep.)

Close only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades
Aileen Kailum

Postby uc pseudonym » Sun May 04, 2008 1:55 pm

Valkyrie Profile Volumes 1-3

Eh, video game manga. I haven't played the game, though, so this is new to me.

anonymous wrote:...... why the heck did I even bother to catch up on Yu Yu Hakusho..?
it just totally failed me. by such an entirely contrived plot device to reenter yet another stereotypical tourney arc mode. oh sure it was a twist and unexpected but I thought the series could redeem itself with some epic new plotage but noooooooo Yuusuke just -had- to go and ruin that with his stupidity. that twist could have been something else, anything else, even predictable, but now w/ -another- tournament rearing its ugly head.... guuuhhhhh... -__-|||

This was a real shame, because his plot arcs that don't involve tournaments are so much more worthwhile. At least this tournament doesn't end up stereotypically. YYH has a pretty strange ending, as he ended it abruptly because of arguments with his editors.
uc pseudonym

Postby KeybladeWarrior » Sun May 04, 2008 2:49 pm

Reading: Rurouni Kenshin volume 18(actually this is half ending of Kyoto arc/beginning of Jinchuu arc)
@)}~`,~ Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks, To All
The CAA Moderators.

"YEAH TOAST! TOCAA!"
KeybladeWarrior

Postby Nami » Sun May 04, 2008 3:35 pm

The Third Vol. 1
Special A Vol. 2
Nosatsu Junkie Vol. 1

These are really good, I have throughly enjoyed them, though they are far from over. The Third sucked me in from the cover art, and the story is really good plus you get a few good laughs.

Special A is definitely Shojo but it's not there at first... some Shojo manga you open the front page read a few pages in an OMGEE! It's romance! *_* It's more like those rival love pairings, the girl is the guys rival and she is always trying to beat him, he is (of course) always better than her. But it's very funny.

I found the funniest out of all three of these was Nosatsu Junkie, about two models, one is already a pro and the other can't seem to land any jobs because she has a freaky smile. The successful one has a secret.. I won't spoil it for you though X3 I suggest you read it.. it's very funny! :lol:
[color="Red"][SIZE="3"]Swiftly Dissin' and never Missin'.
Yours Truly,
Sick of all the BSin'.[/SIZE][/color]
Nami

Location: Sitting in a tree, waiting for you. *sinister grin*

Postby RobinSena » Sun May 04, 2008 6:47 pm

Finished volume 4 of Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind.
RobinSena

Postby uc pseudonym » Mon May 05, 2008 1:16 pm

Claymore

I have been made a happy reader. The most recent chapter has validated every offhand hint, every strange allusion, every apparent plothole (almost). Either the manga-ka has had all of this planned since nearly the beginning or he is good at faking it. Right now I have no idea where the manga will go, but it's obvious it will be much more than the monsters versus monsters drama I had feared.
uc pseudonym

Postby MasterDias » Tue May 06, 2008 2:34 pm

Yu Yu Hakusho

After figuring out where I last left off, I continued with this.

I liked the Chapter Black arc for the most part.
I'm not quite sure what to think of this last arc however. It seemed obviously intended to be the final arc from the start with the way he was wrapping things up(Hiei and Kurama's pasts, Yusuke's heritage, etc), but the fact that he went to the trouble of setting up three countries and their leaders and then seemingly saying "To heck with it, let's have a tournament" makes me wonder if he had something else in mind to do but decided to short-circuit it since he realized the series was going to end...

Claymore

I have been made a happy reader. The most recent chapter has validated every offhand hint, every strange allusion, every apparent plothole (almost). Either the manga-ka has had all of this planned since nearly the beginning or he is good at faking it. Right now I have no idea where the manga will go, but it's obvious it will be much more than the monsters versus monsters drama I had feared.

Yeah, I saw that too.

"A small stone may make a ripple at first, but someday it will be a wave." - Wiegraf - Final Fantasy Tactics
MasterDias

Postby yukoxholic » Tue May 06, 2008 3:01 pm

Re-reading Aria so I can be up to date with the next volume.
yukoxholic

Postby EricTheFred » Wed May 07, 2008 7:54 am

Dominion: Conflict , Vol. 1

Shirow Masamune (the guy responsible for "Appleseed") revisits his older "Dominion" series (better known in the US as "Dominion Tank Police") in a smiliar but 'alternative universe' storyline. Good stuff.
May the Lord bless you and keep you.
May He cause His face to shine upon you.
May He lift up His countenance and grant you peace.

Maokun: Ninjas or Pirates? (Vikings are not a valid answer, sorry)

EricTheFred: Vikings are always a valid answer.

Feel free to visit My Writing.com Portfolio

Largo: "Well Ed, good to see ya. Guess I gotta beat the crap out of you now."

Jamie Hyneman: "It's just another lovely day at the bomb range. Birds are singing, rabbits are hopping about, and soon there's going to be a big explosion."
EricTheFred

Postby Aileen Kailum » Wed May 07, 2008 12:28 pm

W Juliet volumes 13 and 14
I had forgotten how funny this series could be. So much random destruction.
Need some excitement and meaning to brighten your bleak existence? Enter the CAA Monthly Manga contest!
(Warning: side affects may/will include irritability, the cramping of hands, frustration, and/or loss of sleep.)

Close only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades
Aileen Kailum

Postby minakichan » Wed May 07, 2008 10:21 pm

catching up on Ouran.

Character and plot development... I know a lot of people really don't like that Hatori is actually developing things. I think some things were great (the Hitachiins' growth, for example), but Haruhi's behaviour has been quite ooc lately.
ImageImage
minakichan

Postby MasterDias » Thu May 08, 2008 4:45 pm

Metroid

For a video game-based manga, this isn't bad.
It's interesting enough to keep reading anyway.

MasterDias

Postby Sparrowhawk » Fri May 09, 2008 9:04 am

Picking up Tsubasa: The Reservoir Chronicles after a long break - just finished:
Wish
Which Final Fantasy Character Are You?
Final Fantasy 7

"The Road goes ever on and on
Down from the door where it began.
Now far ahead the Road has gone,
And I must follow, if I can,
Pursing it with eager feet,
Until it joins some larger way
Where many paths and errands meet.
And whither then? I cannot say."
-Fellowship of the Ring, by JRR Tolkien

Postby Aleolus » Fri May 09, 2008 11:46 am

Just finished reading through Hanna Z. O.o That is a weird series. I only get the basic concept of it, beyond that it's like Excel Saga or FLCL. :eyebrow:
"Please stand down, I don't want meaningless bloodshed!" chaos-Xenosaga

"Who are you?"
"If I knew that, I wouldn't be suffering." - Hakuro, Utawarerumono

"Dirty thoughts are bad!" Mahoro, Mahoromatic

Help my dragons to grow, please!
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Aleolus

Postby uc pseudonym » Fri May 09, 2008 12:59 pm

Tegami Bachi Volumes 1-4

Not your usual shonen, though it still doesn't feel as though it has perfectly captured its own style. Certain aspects of the series appeal to me, but so far the execution hasn't focused on those. Just so long as there are fewer chapters with lots of memories and everyone crying I'll be happy.
uc pseudonym

Previous Next

Return to Manga and Manga Reviews