What Manga are you reading?

Post about anime's sister, manga in here. Manga reviews accepted in here as well.

Postby EricTheFred » Sun Mar 23, 2008 10:06 pm

uc pseudonym (post: 1209479) wrote:If you're saying that in future tense, I agree. If you mean that just for the volumes you've read... things are about to get so much worse. Really, I'd say this is one of the major flaws that makes Bleach only decent shonen instead of a great series.

This is a flaw with many, many Shounen Jump titles, I have found. Bleach is one of the few such that hasn't quickly irritated me into punting it. I don't know why, but SJ just loves the continuously stronger-attacks-versus-continuously-stronger-opponents-pile-on as a basic plot structure.

Bleach just keeps hanging on with me, though.
May the Lord bless you and keep you.
May He cause His face to shine upon you.
May He lift up His countenance and grant you peace.

Maokun: Ninjas or Pirates? (Vikings are not a valid answer, sorry)

EricTheFred: Vikings are always a valid answer.

Feel free to visit My Writing.com Portfolio

Largo: "Well Ed, good to see ya. Guess I gotta beat the crap out of you now."

Jamie Hyneman: "It's just another lovely day at the bomb range. Birds are singing, rabbits are hopping about, and soon there's going to be a big explosion."
EricTheFred

Postby Fish and Chips » Mon Mar 24, 2008 2:00 pm

Lone Wolf and Cub vol. 2
Bleach vol. 8

Zangetsu was pretty awesome for an anthropomorphic personification. Another satisfactory volume. My approval of this series is increasing a bit. I'm tempted to find other sources for reading vol. 9, primarily because I need to cut down on my odd glances.
Fish and Chips

Postby uc pseudonym » Mon Mar 24, 2008 2:00 pm

Zetman Volumes 4-5

We haven't even seen the protagonist for several volumes. Admittedly, the focus is on the deuteragonist, but I don't care about him at this point. Also, I'm still waiting for proof that the sexual content around this part wasn't gratuitous.

EricTheFred wrote:This is a flaw with many, many Shounen Jump titles, I have found. Bleach is one of the few such that hasn't quickly irritated me into punting it. I don't know why, but SJ just loves the continuously stronger-attacks-versus-continuously-stronger-opponents-pile-on as a basic plot structure.

I could speculate as to why, but I'm sure it would be nothing you hadn't heard before. Bleach interests me somewhat because I think it has a coherent power structure in place from close to the beginning. Now if only anyone other than the people around the main character's level would act instead of just showing up from time to time.

Fish and Chips wrote:I'm tempted to find other sources for reading vol. 9, primarily because of the cover.

Hm, that could be taken the wrong way.
uc pseudonym

Postby Fish and Chips » Wed Mar 26, 2008 7:57 pm

Bleach vol. 9
Samurai Deeper Kyo vol. 26-27

The Former Crimson King is one wacked dude. And Kamijyo shoots his credibilty in the face.
Fish and Chips

Postby Doubleshadow » Thu Mar 27, 2008 12:19 pm

uc pseudonym (post: 1209479) wrote:Also, if no one dies in this conflict Tite Kubo will basically have taken suspension of disbelief behind the shed and shot it repeatedly.

Well, that dug up some traumatic childhood memories for me. T.T ...my hamsters...

Anyway, reading manwha Bride of the Water God volume 1. Beautiful art, but the story hasn't quite solidified yet. I need to see how the next volume goes.
[color="Red"]As a man thinks in his heart, so is he. - Proverbs 23:7[/color]

The Sundries
Robin: "If we close our eyes, we can't see anything."
Batman: "A sound observation, Robin."
Doubleshadow

Postby Sheenar » Thu Mar 27, 2008 12:37 pm

Fruits Basket volume 9
"Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal." 2 Corinthians 4:16-18

"Since the creation of the Internet, the Earth's rotation has been fueled, primarily, by the collective spinning of English teachers in their graves."
Sheenar

Postby uc pseudonym » Thu Mar 27, 2008 2:10 pm

Zetman Volumes 6-7

Things seem back on track. However, I'm more distracted by the fact that the manga-ka is the same one who did I"S and DNA^2 (shallow shonen romance titles, for those who choose not to waste their time looking them up). How can a dark seinen title like this come from the same person?

Samurai Legend (one shot volume)

Read so that I could approve the review, actually. It's reminiscent of Lone Wolf and Cub; I didn't find it all that notable.

Doubleshadow wrote:Well, that dug up some traumatic childhood memories for me. T.T ...my hamsters...

Isn't shooting hamsters overkill?
uc pseudonym

Postby kryptech » Fri Mar 28, 2008 5:49 am

Castle in the Sky, all four volumes. It looked like it was taken straight from frames from the movie. It was more interesting than I expected.

Fish and Chips wrote:I'm tempted to find other sources for reading vol. 9, primarily because I need to cut down on my odd glances.
I know what you mean -- rather annoying really. I ended up skipping to vol. 10.
"Everybody's weird in their own special way." - P.V.
"Never refuse a breath mint." - my dad
"The UAC is making safer worlds through superior firepower." - Doom 3
"This world is a great sculptor's shop. We are the statues and there is a rumour going round the shop that some of us are some day going to come to life." - C.S. Lewis, Mere Christianity

"I'm too cool to scroll. -- MOES."
kryptech

Postby Fish and Chips » Fri Mar 28, 2008 5:18 pm

Bleach vol. 10

And halfway through vol. 11.

Local library had some episodes of Bleach, so I checked out the Anime. Reading these volumes has brought me through what I saw, and I have to say I prefer the Manga. Pacing's a bit more "Rushed," but I honestly think that suits the series better.

And I've said I'm impervious to spoilers before, but I would have preferred not ruining the big plot twist for myself. Oh well, lesson learned.
Fish and Chips

Postby Hana Ryuuzaki » Fri Mar 28, 2008 8:10 pm

[font="palatino Linotype"]I shall be reading Black Sun, Silver Moon Vol. 1 tomorrow, I think.

Mmm, Zombie-killing goodness! >XD

yeah.[/font]
[SIGPIC]http://christiananime.net/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=9906&dateline=1214542817[/SIGPIC]
[SIZE="1"][color="Plum"]WHY GOD MADE J-ROCK: Kamijo[/color][/SIZE]
[color="LightBlue"][SIZE="3"][font="Century Gothic"]Crucify My Love, If My Love Is Blind...[/SIZE][/color][/font]
Hana Ryuuzaki

Postby Sheenar » Sat Mar 29, 2008 7:39 am

Currently reading volume 12 of Fruits Basket. I'm getting to really like this series!

Not as good as the FMA manga, though...
"Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal." 2 Corinthians 4:16-18

"Since the creation of the Internet, the Earth's rotation has been fueled, primarily, by the collective spinning of English teachers in their graves."
Sheenar

Postby EricTheFred » Sat Mar 29, 2008 7:48 am

Volume 1 of Japanese-language "Trigun". Very slowly.

In English, I just finished volume 3 of "Mushishi" adnd volume 16 of "Negima".
May the Lord bless you and keep you.
May He cause His face to shine upon you.
May He lift up His countenance and grant you peace.

Maokun: Ninjas or Pirates? (Vikings are not a valid answer, sorry)

EricTheFred: Vikings are always a valid answer.

Feel free to visit My Writing.com Portfolio

Largo: "Well Ed, good to see ya. Guess I gotta beat the crap out of you now."

Jamie Hyneman: "It's just another lovely day at the bomb range. Birds are singing, rabbits are hopping about, and soon there's going to be a big explosion."
EricTheFred

Postby yukoxholic » Sat Mar 29, 2008 2:45 pm

Fairy Tail Volumes: 1 & 2 (Looks like One Piece but is surprisingly not in the least bit like it! Very good so far though cliched! :D )

Aqua 1 & 2: Rereading.
yukoxholic

Postby uc pseudonym » Sat Mar 29, 2008 3:05 pm

Deadman Wonderland Volume 3

This series has dropped a lot of McGuffins, but so far it seems as though it is well-planned and they will pay off. That's a good start, but it is the end of Chapter 11 that has me truly interested in the story. I hated Shiro's character, but not anymore...

Negative Happy Chainsaw Edge Volume 1

If you're confused as to why I started reading this, look at the title again. Right now I can't tell if it's slightly weird shonen or if it's critiquing the heroic archetype altogether.
uc pseudonym

Postby Radical Dreamer » Sat Mar 29, 2008 3:09 pm

Finally getting around to reading FMA vol. 16 and very much enjoying it so far. XD
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby Fish and Chips » Sat Mar 29, 2008 9:47 pm

Bleach vol. 11-12
One Piece vol. 6
Fish and Chips

Postby Sae-chan » Sun Mar 30, 2008 6:29 pm

I read Naruto for a while, then stopped because it was getting so depressing (the Sasuke-Itachi encounter and such). I was reading Prince of Tennis manga, too. A friend let me borrow her Full Moon O Sagashite volume 1, so I've read that for the last few days. But other than that, I don't read that much manga - I just don't have enough time. ;_;
Sae-chan

Postby KeybladeWarrior » Sun Mar 30, 2008 11:22 pm

Bleach vol. 12
FullMetal Alchemist vol. 16
@)}~`,~ Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks, To All
The CAA Moderators.

"YEAH TOAST! TOCAA!"
KeybladeWarrior

Postby uc pseudonym » Mon Mar 31, 2008 12:57 pm

Stigmata Volume 1

I assumed it would be another "use of Christian symbolism with absolutely no knowledge" but there actually seems to be some degree of familiarity with Catholic tradition. That doesn't make it good, but it's a step in the right direction. Not enjoying another amnesia plot device, though...
uc pseudonym

Postby RidleyofZebes » Mon Mar 31, 2008 4:47 pm

I picked BioMeat back up after a long vacation after finishing the 1st arc. The suspense is killing me! I'm reading a scanlation, and the dial up is dragging it out WAY too long.

I just wanna see how it turns out... ;_;
~Ridley [color="Green"] ;)
[/color]
[font="Arial Black"][color="Red"]My [color="Red"]deviantART[/color][/color][/font] | [font="Arial Black"][color="Red"]My [color="Red"]YouTube[/color][/color][/font]
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
~~~[color="Yellow"]AKA: DarkwaterhHealer~~~[/color]
Even when lurking, I am with you in spirit...

Another Sane Sig brought to you by MOES.
RidleyofZebes

Postby uc pseudonym » Tue Apr 01, 2008 1:04 pm

Karakuri Circus Volume 1

Feels very stereotypical in some senses, but I keep reading because the protagonist isn't the worthless archetype generally seen in such series. We'll see what I think in a few volumes.

Nurarihyon no Mago Volume 1

If this is typical shonen, it's going about it in an unusual manner. The jury is still out, but it's interested.
uc pseudonym

Postby TalKeaton » Thu Apr 03, 2008 11:17 am

Tsubasa volume........5 or 6, I forget where I left off.
TalKeaton

Postby Fish and Chips » Thu Apr 03, 2008 11:29 am

Deadman Wonderland vol. 1-3

Read because UC wrote down that it was well plotted (something I enjoy in Manga), and holy crap son...
Fish and Chips

Postby minakichan » Thu Apr 03, 2008 12:17 pm

I've been hoping to get more into Deadman Wonderland because the story seems pretty interesting from the first chapter I've read. I'm really terrible with violence though (which sucks for a seinen manga fan), so I'm kind of wondering if it lets up a little or gets worse.

Haven't really been reading much manga lately. I've been looking for Ikigami everywhere, but I guess no one scanlates it. Meanwhile, I've been trying to get my fix with a couple recent Liar Game chapters, which prove again that seinen is the best-- transsexualism as a giant plot twist. What the heck. You won't find THAT in Weekly Shounen Jump.

Also been looking through random doujinshi and fanart from my latest obsession, the super-moe genderbending Suzumiya Haruhiko no Yuutsu. Kyon-chan [icon] is officially my eternal love, even if she's a chick.
ImageImage
minakichan

Postby uc pseudonym » Thu Apr 03, 2008 12:36 pm

Karakuri Circus Volumes 2-4

Continues to be somewhat enjoyable. However, I'm a bit unmotivated upon learning that it's 43 volumes long. It seems there is a great deal more of the plot to unfold and it might even have been planned, but we'll see.

minakichan wrote:I've been hoping to get more into Deadman Wonderland because the story seems pretty interesting from the first chapter I've read. I'm really terrible with violence though (which sucks for a seinen manga fan), so I'm kind of wondering if it lets up a little or gets worse.

It lets up a little (there aren't slaughters like that every chapter, anyway). There is a twisted death game after a while and then things move on to fights between more important characters, which obviously involve less maiming.

Fish and Chips wrote:Deadman Wonderland vol. 1-3

Read because UC wrote down that it was well plotted (something I enjoy in Manga), and holy crap son...

Have any thoughts about the story? Right now there are too many scattered clues for me to have any coherent theory, but it has me interested.
uc pseudonym

Postby Fish and Chips » Thu Apr 03, 2008 12:58 pm

uc pseudonym (post: 1213266) wrote:Have any thoughts about the story? Right now there are too many scattered clues for me to have any coherent theory, but it has me interested.

The "Problem" with any mystery plot is that we'll never know for sure what the deal is until it's all over. Some authors are more charitable tossing clues the reader's way, some aren't.

However, it has me interested, though the pacing is a bit faster than I expected. You mentioned in an earlier post lots of MacGuffins, yes, though hopefully they'll all be cashed in for plot relevance later.
[spoiler]I like most of the cast, interesting supporting character, solid villains, and then you have the Deadmen. Since the later group routinely defies my preconceived ideas about them, I wonder how the three remaining Deadmen will develop (especially "Hitara," since he seems to be looking out for Ganta, but then we all thought Minatsuki was innocent, didn't we?).

I also enjoy how this author handled blood as a power (much better than Darker Than BLACK or Basilisk did). Offers a lot of leg room for innovation, but is inherently limited and dangerous to the user. Nice touch.[/spoiler]
This series will have my attention for awhile.
Fish and Chips

Postby yukoxholic » Thu Apr 03, 2008 3:38 pm

La Corda D'Oro Volume 7

Rereading Tsubasa Volume 16. I wish this manga would release faster. ^__^ I need other suggestions.
yukoxholic

Postby Aileen Kailum » Thu Apr 03, 2008 4:14 pm

Full Moon wo Sagashite volume 3. I'm liking this series more as I reread it.
Need some excitement and meaning to brighten your bleak existence? Enter the CAA Monthly Manga contest!
(Warning: side affects may/will include irritability, the cramping of hands, frustration, and/or loss of sleep.)

Close only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades
Aileen Kailum

Postby theanimeguy » Sun Apr 06, 2008 6:05 am

If this is getting too long of a thread, can I create a new one for April?
theanimeguy

Postby Fish and Chips » Sun Apr 06, 2008 12:38 pm

theanimeguy (post: 1214179) wrote:If this is getting too long of a thread, can I create a new one for April?

No. This thread's had a successful run since mid-2004. A new thread is unnecessary.

Vinland Saga vol. 1

Because I needed more vikings in my reading habits.
Fish and Chips

Previous Next

Return to Manga and Manga Reviews