What Manga are you reading?

Post about anime's sister, manga in here. Manga reviews accepted in here as well.

Postby minakichan » Sun Mar 02, 2008 3:10 pm

Question: is anyone here reading Psyren other than MasterDias and I? I think it's very likely I'll have some thoughts concerning these chapters, but if there's only two of us PM is the way to go. This had better not get canceled.

I uh, read the first chapter, or perhaps it was only the first couple pages. Can't remember. I don't think I was completely blown away (although the main character seems fun); would you recommend the series?

(I think I stopped reading it because the scanlation was in Comic Sans or something.)
ImageImage
minakichan

Postby uc pseudonym » Mon Mar 03, 2008 2:33 pm

Kekkaishi Volumes 1-2

The cover is really generic shonen, so I didn't give it a second glance the first time I saw it. A friend has recommended it since, so I decided to give it a shot. My opinion is reserved until I have read more.

[quote="minakichan"]I uh, read the first chapter, or perhaps it was only the first couple pages. Can't remember. I don't think I was completely blown away (although the main character seems fun)]
It's too early to tell. Also, I don't think the beginning is very strong, so give it some time.

But it is the first new series in a long time that has captured my interest. The genre is definitely shonen, but I think it shows signs of having a solid plot and decent overall structure. I'm also glad to see characters that are a shade more intelligent than usual; they don't magically get super powered in the first conflict, but instead have to win by using what they have strategically. I can only hope this style will continue as the series develops.
uc pseudonym

Postby uc pseudonym » Wed Mar 05, 2008 1:53 pm

Kekkaishi Volumes 3-5

The plot is developing much to slow for my taste, but it seems interesting things are to come.

Wanted!

It's a volume of oneshots by Oda. Mildly entertaining, but I'm glad he's spent most of his career working on One Piece.
uc pseudonym

Postby uc pseudonym » Mon Mar 10, 2008 1:42 pm

Kekkaishi Volumes 6-11

Interesting things were to come.

Mx0 Volume 1

This series struck me as the tired shonen/comedy/romance formula, but a friend recommended it. While it has yet to impress me, I do see the merit they mentioned: the main character is pretty good at bluffing his way through things.
uc pseudonym

Postby yukoxholic » Tue Mar 11, 2008 4:07 pm

Let's see I am currently reading:

XXXHolic Volume 11 (only two volumes left until it's over!! :waah!:)
Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicle Volume 16
Yotsuba&! Volume 6
Love*Com Volume 5

uc pseudonym (post: 1206418) wrote:Kekkaishi Volumes 6-11

YaY! Another fellow Kekkaishi reader! ^__^ Although it kind of reminds me of Bleach with a hint of Naruto (which aren't really my favs) I still love this manga!
yukoxholic

Postby Sakura15 » Tue Mar 11, 2008 7:36 pm

Bleach and Love Com :grin:
[color="SeaGreen"]
"For I am the LORD, your God, who takes hold of your right hand and says to you, Do not fear; I will help you." -Isaiah 41:13
[/color]

[font="Georgia"]
Sakura's Deviantart
[/font]
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]
For what do I have
If I don't have You, Jesus?
What in this life
Could mean any more?- Starfield
[/color]
Sakura15

Postby Aileen Kailum » Tue Mar 11, 2008 11:25 pm

Ouran High School Host Club volumes 8 and 10.
Need some excitement and meaning to brighten your bleak existence? Enter the CAA Monthly Manga contest!
(Warning: side affects may/will include irritability, the cramping of hands, frustration, and/or loss of sleep.)

Close only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades
Aileen Kailum

Postby uc pseudonym » Wed Mar 12, 2008 1:49 pm

Kekkaishi Volumes 12-14

Everything translated so far, basically. After the major arc ended I haven't been terribly impressed with new developments, but true plot elements are slowly getting underway.

Mx0 Volumes 2-6

Improving. It allows the main character to improve without losing the aspects of his limitation and avoiding conflict.

yukoxholic wrote:YaY! Another fellow Kekkaishi reader! ^__^ Although it kind of reminds me of Bleach with a hint of Naruto (which aren't really my favs) I still love this manga!

What I enjoy is the amount of strategy in every battle simply due to the limited ability set most of the characters possess. Until certain people arrive or Zekkai is introduced, there are really no normal physical attacks. Consequently I find Tokine more interesting than the main character; she needs to get some time in the spotlight again.
uc pseudonym

Postby Radical Dreamer » Wed Mar 12, 2008 4:28 pm

Honey & Clover, vol. 1. I actually downloaded the scans for this months ago, before I knew it was licensed, but never got around to reading them. XD I'm enjoying it so far, though--it's similar to the anime in many regards. The sketchy art style isn't my favorite, but it fits with the feel of the series, so it's fine. XD Looking forward to collecting the rest of this as it's released.
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby minakichan » Wed Mar 12, 2008 4:34 pm

Mx0 is a bit formulaic shounen, but it's got enough twists and interesting powers to keep my attention (the screw-joint power, and watching Kuzumi throw his head around basically hooked me in the very first chapter XD). It's the only Jump series I'm really following.

Finished Charisma Doll, 2 volumes. No originality whatsoever, but some elements were a little atypical of similar stories-- anti-drug campaigning and stardom scandals aren't that common in juvenile shoujo. Still, I was looking for some good escapism genderbending and it really hit the spot.
ImageImage
minakichan

Postby ich1990 » Wed Mar 12, 2008 7:14 pm

uc pseudonym (post: 1204201) wrote:Question: is anyone here reading Psyren other than MasterDias and I? I think it's very likely I'll have some thoughts concerning these chapters, but if there's only two of us PM is the way to go. This had better not get canceled.

I have started reading it, although I am not even a dozen chapters in yet. So far it looks promising. If a thread were started, I would probably not comment on it very much, but I would enjoy reading other people's thoughts on the story.
Where an Eidolon, named night, on a black throne reigns upright.
ich1990

Postby jon_jinn » Wed Mar 12, 2008 8:43 pm

Vinland Saga volume 1

an interesting series from the author of Planetes. the series sorta reminds me of Berserk, though not nearly as explicit in its content.
[SIZE="4"]*FASTING FROM CAA (9/25/08 - ???)*[/SIZE]

[SIZE="1"]
"Sometimes we don't present the Gospel well enough for the non-elect to reject it."
- John MacArthur

"In the total expanse of the human life, there is not a single square inch of which Christ, who alone is sovereign, does not declare, 'That is mine'."
- Abraham Kuyper

"God the great Creator of all things doth uphold, direct, dispose, and govern all creatures, actions, and things, from the greatest even to the least, by His most wise and holy providence, according to His infallible foreknowledge and the free and immutable counsel of His own will, to the praise of the glory of His wisdom, power, justice, goodness, and mercy."
- Westminister Confession of Faith (Chapter 5, Section 1)

"The wisdom of God has found a way for the love of God to deliver sinners from the wrath of God all the while upholding the righteousness of God!!"
- John Piper

"Grace is the pleasure of God to magnify the worth of God by giving sinners the right and power to delight in God without obscuring the glory of God!"
-John Piper

"The very One from Whom we need to be saved, is the One Who has saved us."
- R.C. Sproul

"All of Christian life is ceaseless worship of God the Father, through the mediatorship of God the Son, by the indwelling power of God the Spirit, doing what God commands in Scripture, not doing what God forbids in Scripture, in culturally contextualized ways, for the furtherance of the Gospel, when both gathered for adoration, and scattered for action, in joyous response to God's glorious grace."
- Mark Driscoll

"Believers do not pray with the view of informing God about things unknown to Him, or of exciting Him to do His duty, or of urging Him as though He were reluctant. On the contrary, they pray in order that they may arouse themselves to seek Him, that they may exercise their faith in meditating on His promises, that they may relieve themselves from their anxieties by pouring them into His bosom; in a word, that they may declare that from Him alone they hope and expect, both for themselves and for others, all good things."
- Martin Luther

"I have to tell you first that I am ready to die. I have put my affairs in order. Your supreme weapon is killing. My supreme weapon is dying, because when you kill me, people all over Romania will read my books and believe on the God that I preach - even more than they do now."
- Dr. Joseph Ton, the exiled Romanian pastor (quoted by James Montgomery Boice)

"The best prayer I ever prayed had enough sin in it to condemn the whole world."
- John Bunyan

"If the Christian has lost sight of Calvary, that shows that he has lost his way."
- J.I. Packer[/SIZE]
jon_jinn

Postby MasterDias » Wed Mar 12, 2008 10:16 pm

uc pseudonym (post: 1206852) wrote:Kekkaishi Volumes 12-14

Everything translated so far, basically. After the major arc ended I haven't been terribly impressed with new developments, but true plot elements are slowly getting underway.

I've been reading this one for awhile. It's pretty popular in Japan, but I guess it's not flashy enough for western audiences. The story does develop pretty slowly though. And, yeah, Tokine is a good heroine]Mx0 Volumes 2-6

Improving. It allows the main character to improve without losing the aspects of his limitation and avoiding conflict.[/QUOTE]
This series struck me as slightly schizophrenic as if the author can't completely decide whether he wants to focus on romantic comedy or fantasy/action. The magic cards are neat though...

Anyway, over the past month or so, I've read:

Houshin Engi, Volume 2

Monster, Volume 11
-Still liking, although it did take me a bit to remember all of the subplots.

Muhyo & Roji's Bureau of Supernatural Investigation, Volumes 2 & 3
-Action/horror series. Still mostly "monster-of-the-week" stories but hints
of a larger plot. And they have already introduced who I assume is the main villain so...

Anuki, Volumes 1-7
-I haven't really read a lot of manhwa, but this one was pretty good. Sort of a historical action/drama involving a war and biplanes. The ending felt really abrupt however.

Shaman King, through Volume 30
-I'm not too impressed with the resolution to the whole Mansumi Oyamada situation. As if we needed yet another demonstration of how powerful Hao is.
Although, perhaps by this point, Takei suspected it was going to be cancelled and was trying to rush things.

Stay Dog/Souten no Koumori - One shots be Arakawa

Urooboe Uroboros - One shot by Obata and Nisio Isin
-----------------------------------------
"Always seek to do good to one another and to all."
1 Thessalonians 5:15

"Every story must have an ending." - Auron - Final Fantasy X

"A small stone may make a ripple at first, but someday it will be a wave." - Wiegraf - Final Fantasy Tactics
MasterDias

Postby Fish and Chips » Wed Mar 12, 2008 10:25 pm

Soul Eater vol. 1

Not sure what to think of this one. Has a certain bizarre charm to it, but the gratuitous fanservice is annoying. Easily a monster of the week Shounen. Might give it another volume to prove itself, but I could just as easily forget about it.

MasterDias (post: 1206989) wrote:Stay Dog/Souten no Koumori - One shots be Arakawa

How did you find them? I tend to wish Souten had been her second series instead of Juushin Enbu.
Fish and Chips

Postby uc pseudonym » Thu Mar 13, 2008 2:23 pm

minakichan wrote:Mx0 is a bit formulaic shounen, but it's got enough twists and interesting powers to keep my attention (the screw-joint power, and watching Kuzumi throw his head around basically hooked me in the very first chapter XD). It's the only Jump series I'm really following.

I'm essentially with you. Not that amazing, but still interesting. I've read through volume nine and I think I'm up to date with the current chapters.

ich1990 wrote:I have started reading it, although I am not even a dozen chapters in yet. So far it looks promising. If a thread were started, I would probably not comment on it very much, but I would enjoy reading other people's thoughts on the story.

There are only fourteen chapters in Japan, so you might have read most of it. Do we have enough people for a thread? Is Fish reading? It doesn't have to be a heavily-used one, but it might be nice to have a place to discuss occasionally.

MasterDias wrote:I've been reading this one for awhile. It's pretty popular in Japan, but I guess it's not flashy enough for western audiences. The story does develop pretty slowly though. And, yeah, Tokine is a good heroine]
Masamori is basically my favorite character, actually. His political dealings with the group of 12 are much more interesting than the vague clues the protagonist is getting about the school.

MasterDias wrote:Shaman King, through Volume 30
-I'm not too impressed with the resolution to the whole Mansumi Oyamada situation. As if we needed yet another demonstration of how powerful Hao is.
Although, perhaps by this point, Takei suspected it was going to be cancelled and was trying to rush things.

I'm not sure what the point of this arc was at all. It felt awkward and strange to me from the beginning.

Fish and Chips wrote:Soul Eater vol. 1

Not sure what to think of this one. Has a certain bizarre charm to it, but the gratuitous fanservice is annoying. Easily a monster of the week Shounen. Might give it another volume to prove itself, but I could just as easily forget about it.

For whatever it is worth, the fanservice goes away fairly quickly and the series gets a main antagonist. I've been following this one for a while, not particularly impressed but interested in aforementioned charm.
uc pseudonym

Postby MasterDias » Thu Mar 13, 2008 2:45 pm

uc pseudonym (post: 1207088) wrote:Masamori is basically my favorite character, actually. His political dealings with the group of 12 are much more interesting than the vague clues the protagonist is getting about the school.

For awhile, I wasn't sure if he was a good guy or not, given how manipulative and sinister he was on some of his appearances.

Anyway...

Blade of the Immortal, Volume 6
-----------------------------------------
"Always seek to do good to one another and to all."
1 Thessalonians 5:15

"Every story must have an ending." - Auron - Final Fantasy X

"A small stone may make a ripple at first, but someday it will be a wave." - Wiegraf - Final Fantasy Tactics
MasterDias

Postby Aileen Kailum » Thu Mar 13, 2008 9:02 pm

Fruits Basket volume 19 and Fullmetal Alchemist volume 16. Finding these made my day.
Need some excitement and meaning to brighten your bleak existence? Enter the CAA Monthly Manga contest!
(Warning: side affects may/will include irritability, the cramping of hands, frustration, and/or loss of sleep.)

Close only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades
Aileen Kailum

Postby Fish and Chips » Mon Mar 17, 2008 12:04 am

FullMetal Alchemist vol. 20
Pluto vol. 5

Not much to say that can be said outside of spoiler tags.
Fish and Chips

Postby uc pseudonym » Mon Mar 17, 2008 2:30 pm

B-Shock Volumes 1-3

I kept reading out of morbid fascination, really. It's "seinen" only because it deals with older issues, not because the story is any better than your usual shonen romance.
uc pseudonym

Postby MomoAdachi » Wed Mar 19, 2008 7:20 pm

Kamikaze Kaitou Jeanne #1...I'm becoming quite an Arina Tanemura-sensei fangirl!
Non-Christian Anti-Hentai Grrl
#1 Dubbed Sailor Moon Fan!
#1 Peach Girl Fan!

98% of the teenage population does or have tried smoking pot. If you are one of the 2% who haven't, copy or paste this in your signature.
MomoAdachi

Postby Sheenar » Wed Mar 19, 2008 9:07 pm

Rereading Fruits Basket #5. My friend let me borrow #5-8, so I'm really excited to get going with the series again!!!
"Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal." 2 Corinthians 4:16-18

"Since the creation of the Internet, the Earth's rotation has been fueled, primarily, by the collective spinning of English teachers in their graves."
Sheenar

Postby uc pseudonym » Thu Mar 20, 2008 1:30 pm

Zetman Volumes 1-3

Long ago I glanced at the first volume and left it alone. Going back, I don't know why. This is seinen the way I like to see it. It's an action story, but there really isn't a standard fight for the entire first volume. The pacing isn't slow, it just isn't as rushed as much shonen.
uc pseudonym

Postby Fish and Chips » Thu Mar 20, 2008 2:53 pm

Historie volume 1
Fish and Chips

Postby mitsuki lover » Sat Mar 22, 2008 2:32 pm

Will be re-reading Full Metal Panic,Overload! vol.2 tommorrow.
mitsuki lover

Postby Fish and Chips » Sat Mar 22, 2008 3:39 pm

Bleach vol. 6-7
Historie vol. 2-3
Lone Wolf and Cub vol. 1

I enjoyed these two volumes of Bleach a lot, but it irks me to know Tite Kubo just lets the cast pile up without any proper "Spring cleaning."

And rounding off my historical reading with ancient Greece and feudal Japan.
Fish and Chips

Postby uc pseudonym » Sat Mar 22, 2008 5:12 pm

Rikki-Oh Volumes 1-3

Seinen muscleheads kill each other. Not much thinking involved.

Angel Densetsu (complete)

Well, I have finally completed this series. He brought things to a reasonable end that let most of the characters get their final moment and was fairly fitting. I certainly hope Yagi has better things in store for Claymore, however. It's difficult to compare, because this is a comedy whereas Claymore has, you know, plot.

Bleach wrote:I enjoyed these two volumes of Bleach a lot, but it irks me to know Tite Kubo just lets the cast pile up without any proper "Spring cleaning."

If you're saying that in future tense, I agree. If you mean that just for the volumes you've read... things are about to get so much worse. Really, I'd say this is one of the major flaws that makes Bleach only decent shonen instead of a great series.

Quite some time later in the current manga, it looks like the plot will force more of the characters to actually be used. Also, if no one dies in this conflict Tite Kubo will basically have taken suspension of disbelief behind the shed and shot it repeatedly.
uc pseudonym

Postby Amzi Live » Sun Mar 23, 2008 10:33 am

I just started reading 20th Century Boys,it rocks!
[font="Arial Narrow"] Teach me thy way, O LORD; I will walk in thy truth: unite my heart to fear thy name. Psalm86:11[/font]
Proud lurker? Join MOES,and help us stay cool.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Amzi Live

Postby Fish and Chips » Sun Mar 23, 2008 12:50 pm

uc pseudonym (post: 1209479) wrote:If you're saying that in future tense, I agree. If you mean that just for the volumes you've read... things are about to get so much worse. Really, I'd say this is one of the major flaws that makes Bleach only decent shonen instead of a great series.

Yes, I'm talking in the future tense. Really, it's an enjoyable read, and I like large casts of characters, but to draw it out so long and still have all of them around is, well...I can't imagine he's using all of them enough to justify leaving them alive.

Since I've finished Rurouni Kenshin, I'll probably move Bleach up a couple notches on the priorities list till I catch up with the American release (because I'm reading it in the store).
Fish and Chips

Postby EricTheFred » Sun Mar 23, 2008 5:03 pm

Amzi Live (post: 1209629) wrote:I just started reading 20th Century Boys,it rocks!

Just ordered a copy of Vol 1 in the original Japanese, for study purposes. It had better be as good as everyone says, because it's going to be serious work to get through it!
May the Lord bless you and keep you.
May He cause His face to shine upon you.
May He lift up His countenance and grant you peace.

Maokun: Ninjas or Pirates? (Vikings are not a valid answer, sorry)

EricTheFred: Vikings are always a valid answer.

Feel free to visit My Writing.com Portfolio

Largo: "Well Ed, good to see ya. Guess I gotta beat the crap out of you now."

Jamie Hyneman: "It's just another lovely day at the bomb range. Birds are singing, rabbits are hopping about, and soon there's going to be a big explosion."
EricTheFred

Postby jon_jinn » Sun Mar 23, 2008 8:20 pm

EricTheFred (post: 1209764) wrote:Just ordered a copy of Vol 1 in the original Japanese, for study purposes. It had better be as good as everyone says, because it's going to be serious work to get through it!

ha ha. don't worry, my friend. i assure you that you will not be disappointed. if you find that the first volume is disappointing, however, keep going through the series because it gets better as it progresses.

anyways, i reread my Zombie Powder volume 1 for a light and random read.
[SIZE="4"]*FASTING FROM CAA (9/25/08 - ???)*[/SIZE]

[SIZE="1"]
"Sometimes we don't present the Gospel well enough for the non-elect to reject it."
- John MacArthur

"In the total expanse of the human life, there is not a single square inch of which Christ, who alone is sovereign, does not declare, 'That is mine'."
- Abraham Kuyper

"God the great Creator of all things doth uphold, direct, dispose, and govern all creatures, actions, and things, from the greatest even to the least, by His most wise and holy providence, according to His infallible foreknowledge and the free and immutable counsel of His own will, to the praise of the glory of His wisdom, power, justice, goodness, and mercy."
- Westminister Confession of Faith (Chapter 5, Section 1)

"The wisdom of God has found a way for the love of God to deliver sinners from the wrath of God all the while upholding the righteousness of God!!"
- John Piper

"Grace is the pleasure of God to magnify the worth of God by giving sinners the right and power to delight in God without obscuring the glory of God!"
-John Piper

"The very One from Whom we need to be saved, is the One Who has saved us."
- R.C. Sproul

"All of Christian life is ceaseless worship of God the Father, through the mediatorship of God the Son, by the indwelling power of God the Spirit, doing what God commands in Scripture, not doing what God forbids in Scripture, in culturally contextualized ways, for the furtherance of the Gospel, when both gathered for adoration, and scattered for action, in joyous response to God's glorious grace."
- Mark Driscoll

"Believers do not pray with the view of informing God about things unknown to Him, or of exciting Him to do His duty, or of urging Him as though He were reluctant. On the contrary, they pray in order that they may arouse themselves to seek Him, that they may exercise their faith in meditating on His promises, that they may relieve themselves from their anxieties by pouring them into His bosom; in a word, that they may declare that from Him alone they hope and expect, both for themselves and for others, all good things."
- Martin Luther

"I have to tell you first that I am ready to die. I have put my affairs in order. Your supreme weapon is killing. My supreme weapon is dying, because when you kill me, people all over Romania will read my books and believe on the God that I preach - even more than they do now."
- Dr. Joseph Ton, the exiled Romanian pastor (quoted by James Montgomery Boice)

"The best prayer I ever prayed had enough sin in it to condemn the whole world."
- John Bunyan

"If the Christian has lost sight of Calvary, that shows that he has lost his way."
- J.I. Packer[/SIZE]
jon_jinn

Previous Next

Return to Manga and Manga Reviews