What Manga are you reading?

Post about anime's sister, manga in here. Manga reviews accepted in here as well.

Postby uc pseudonym » Thu Feb 14, 2008 2:16 pm

21st Century Boys Volumes 1-2

The end of the series... to be honest part of me is a bit disappointed. Coming full circle with the titular song was a good way to close, and Otcho got a fitting end, but it left me with an odd feeling. I'll have to think more carefully about what felt lacking to me.

MasterDias wrote:Not polls exactly but...
http://community.livejournal.com/weeklyjump
Here someone posts the Weekly Jump ToC each week which is supposedly a pretty good judge of popularity. Naruto/One Piece/Bleach and company are pretty stable at the top, whereas if something has an extended stay near the bottom, it's usually a bad sign.

ToC rankings are good enough for me. Thank you for the resource.

jon_jinn wrote:Muddy volume 1
an interesting series done by one of the assistants for the author of Reborn! the series sorta reminds me of FMA. not exactly the greatest series out there, but it deserves a chance.

Tell me what you think of this. I looked at a few chapters, but it really didn't motivate me to continue reading it. However, I want to give a non-action, possibly unorthodox series a chance.
uc pseudonym

Postby minakichan » Thu Feb 14, 2008 3:18 pm

Ah? I thought the "end" of 20th Century Boys wasn't intended to be an ending at all, just a pause before 21st. 21st seemed to start off as if was still the exact same series in any way, at least to me; granted, I read ch 1 of 21st a while ago and can't remember.

I suppose the live-action movie (which I'm TOTALLY hyped for, though not as much as the Monster movie~_ will have to end before the end of 20th Century Boys? I don't remember when they started production. I hope there's a sequel to actually give the story closure, but I suppose that'll have to wait until 21st is actually done as well.
ImageImage
minakichan

Postby Fish and Chips » Thu Feb 14, 2008 4:26 pm

20th and 21st Century Boys have both been wrapped up, though I prefer 20th Century Boys' simplistic ending to 21st Century Boys' convoluted attempt to tie up loose string (which I'd say is probably why Urasawa separated epilogue).
Fish and Chips

Postby Radical Dreamer » Fri Feb 15, 2008 7:59 am

minakichan (post: 1199490) wrote:I suppose the live-action movie (which I'm TOTALLY hyped for, though not as much as the Monster movie~) will have to end before the end of 20th Century Boys? I don't remember when they started production. I hope there's a sequel to actually give the story closure, but I suppose that'll have to wait until 21st is actually done as well.

Fortunately, they're going to be making a trilogy of movies for the series:

Anime News Network.com wrote:This year's 10th issue (released on February 4) of Shogakukan's Weekly Big Comic Spirits magazine has confirmed the main cast of the live-action adaptation of Naoki Urasawa's 20th Century Boys psychological suspense manga. The magazine also confirmed the adaptation will now be a trilogy of films. The Sankei Sports newspaper has posted a never-before-published poster image for the film trilogy. ( http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2008-02-03/20th-century-boys-movies-main-cast-confirmed-in-japan )

Whether or not the movie trilogy will end with 20CB's ending or 21CB's, I don't know. I'd almost prefer a mixture of the two, adding in a scene or two from 21st (helicopter, etc.), but mainly keeping the climax focused on 20th. Good to know that they aren't try to cram it all into one movie, though. XD
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby uc pseudonym » Fri Feb 15, 2008 2:18 pm

minakichan wrote:Ah? I thought the "end" of 20th Century Boys wasn't intended to be an ending at all, just a pause before 21st. 21st seemed to start off as if was still the exact same series in any way, at least to me]
You can read straight from 20CB to 21CB and the chapters feel continuous. However, I was speaking about the last 16 chapters of the overall story that compose 21CB, thus the ending of the series as a whole. Strangely...

Fish and Chips wrote:20th and 21st Century Boys have both been wrapped up, though I prefer 20th Century Boys' simplistic ending to 21st Century Boys' convoluted attempt to tie up loose string (which I'd say is probably why Urasawa separated epilogue).

I somewhat preferred the first "ending" as well. But though I felt everything concerning the bomb was a bit ad hoc, I was glad to return to some of our central motifs, such as the introduction in the UN and the playing of the song. Whether the series is weaker or stronger with the last two volumes, I'm not sure; I'll have to think about it more.
uc pseudonym

Postby jon_jinn » Fri Feb 15, 2008 4:04 pm

the 20th CB live-action is gonna be a trilogy?! SWEET!! they're making a Monster movie too?! EVEN SWEETER!!! so much wonderful information!!
[SIZE="4"]*FASTING FROM CAA (9/25/08 - ???)*[/SIZE]

[SIZE="1"]
"Sometimes we don't present the Gospel well enough for the non-elect to reject it."
- John MacArthur

"In the total expanse of the human life, there is not a single square inch of which Christ, who alone is sovereign, does not declare, 'That is mine'."
- Abraham Kuyper

"God the great Creator of all things doth uphold, direct, dispose, and govern all creatures, actions, and things, from the greatest even to the least, by His most wise and holy providence, according to His infallible foreknowledge and the free and immutable counsel of His own will, to the praise of the glory of His wisdom, power, justice, goodness, and mercy."
- Westminister Confession of Faith (Chapter 5, Section 1)

"The wisdom of God has found a way for the love of God to deliver sinners from the wrath of God all the while upholding the righteousness of God!!"
- John Piper

"Grace is the pleasure of God to magnify the worth of God by giving sinners the right and power to delight in God without obscuring the glory of God!"
-John Piper

"The very One from Whom we need to be saved, is the One Who has saved us."
- R.C. Sproul

"All of Christian life is ceaseless worship of God the Father, through the mediatorship of God the Son, by the indwelling power of God the Spirit, doing what God commands in Scripture, not doing what God forbids in Scripture, in culturally contextualized ways, for the furtherance of the Gospel, when both gathered for adoration, and scattered for action, in joyous response to God's glorious grace."
- Mark Driscoll

"Believers do not pray with the view of informing God about things unknown to Him, or of exciting Him to do His duty, or of urging Him as though He were reluctant. On the contrary, they pray in order that they may arouse themselves to seek Him, that they may exercise their faith in meditating on His promises, that they may relieve themselves from their anxieties by pouring them into His bosom; in a word, that they may declare that from Him alone they hope and expect, both for themselves and for others, all good things."
- Martin Luther

"I have to tell you first that I am ready to die. I have put my affairs in order. Your supreme weapon is killing. My supreme weapon is dying, because when you kill me, people all over Romania will read my books and believe on the God that I preach - even more than they do now."
- Dr. Joseph Ton, the exiled Romanian pastor (quoted by James Montgomery Boice)

"The best prayer I ever prayed had enough sin in it to condemn the whole world."
- John Bunyan

"If the Christian has lost sight of Calvary, that shows that he has lost his way."
- J.I. Packer[/SIZE]
jon_jinn

Postby Fish and Chips » Mon Feb 18, 2008 10:31 pm

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure vol. 55-63

I actually enjoyed the ending to Part V a fair bit, though I think the Sleeping Slaves chapters would have worked better a little earlier in the story.
Fish and Chips

Postby Sanji07 » Tue Feb 19, 2008 10:42 am

Dragon Drive vol. 6 and Zatch Bell vol.2. I like reading the less-known mangas. ^_^
[color="SeaGreen"]@)}[/color][color="black"]~`,~[/color] Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks, To All The CAA Moderators.
98% of the teenage population does or has tried smoking pot. If you're one of the 2% who hasn't, copy & paste this in your signature
Servant of: Hypersocks-the leader of extrolling hyperness! ^-^
I believe in Jesus Christ, my Savior. If you do too and are not scared to admit it, then copy and paste this in your signature.
Sanji07

Postby minakichan » Tue Feb 19, 2008 1:29 pm

the 20th CB live-action is gonna be a trilogy?! SWEET!! they're making a Monster movie too?! EVEN SWEETER!!! so much wonderful information!!

The Monster movie is a Hollywood adaption actually, BTW. It's SUPPOSED to come out 2009... I seriously can't wait that long.

(to stay on topic) Reading Hagaren. Yes, I'm seriously behind the times. Hagaren is one of those series that is so good that I don't want to read it. I hate reading good series because when I finish them, or when I catch up to the point that the series is still being serialized in Japan, I feel like [insert angsty tagline here] MY SOUL IS BLEEDING IN DARK PIECES. Usually, I'd rather just not read it (and read my bad shoujo manga instead), so that I can hum and say, "Well, if I run out of crap to read, I can always read X series that's actually GOOD." ...But anony-chan is like forcing me to read it or something XD;
ImageImage
minakichan

Postby uc pseudonym » Tue Feb 19, 2008 1:48 pm

Shin Angyo Onshi Volume 16

This ending may or may not be incredibly epic. It's really up in the air at this point. There will certainly be a big battle, though.

Fish and Chips wrote:JoJo's Bizarre Adventure vol. 55-63

I actually enjoyed the ending to Part V a fair bit, though I think the Sleeping Slaves chapters would have worked better a little earlier in the story.

I agree that it felt kind of thrown in. But it looks as though we differ about the ending. The battle over the arrow and with a certain individual's Stand didn't strike me as a very good climax. Giorno certainly has a broken ability at the end, however.
uc pseudonym

Postby Fish and Chips » Tue Feb 19, 2008 2:11 pm

uc pseudonym (post: 1200973) wrote:I agree that it felt kind of thrown in. But it looks as though we differ about the ending. The battle over the arrow and with a certain individual's Stand didn't strike me as a very good climax. Giorno certainly has a broken ability at the end, however.

Different pacing than the usual arc endings. Decent ending, and I enjoyed it, but that said, that's where my compliments stop, if you will.
[spoiler]Golden Experience Requiem is pretty much the biggest Deus Ex Machina ever, though.[/spoiler]
Fish and Chips

Postby uc pseudonym » Sun Feb 24, 2008 2:40 pm

Steel Ball Run Volume 6

I read it and finally remember to comment here. So far I continue to enjoy this part but it hasn't risen up my personal ranks. Also, Dio is not exactly his previous incarnation (which is probably good, though I liked the old one). By "not exactly" I mean
[spoiler]he is a dinosaur.[/spoiler]

Re: Fish and Chips spoiler - Indeed. I was hoping someone would outwit him and manage to somehow bend the time skip to their advantage.
uc pseudonym

Postby Fish and Chips » Sun Feb 24, 2008 3:51 pm

21st Century Boys volume 2 COMPLETED

Read a loose translation months earlier, but now it's official.
[spoiler]Would've preferred a graveyard scene for our heroes who died. Mon-chan, Donkey, and the rest. We did get Sadakiyo.[/spoiler]
And Steel Ball Run, while Diego isn't necessarily "Better" than Dio, I enjoyed how Araki played him off as a sympathetic yet ruthless character, portrayed against Dio's usual ruthless and charismatic persona.
Fish and Chips

Postby ~darkelfgirl~ » Sun Feb 24, 2008 5:14 pm

I'm reading FMA Bk. 2. It's...interesting o.o
[color=purple][font=Tahoma][color=royalblue]"But those who wait on the Lord shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings like eagles, they shall run and not be weary, they shall walk and not faint."--[/color]Isaiah 40:31
[/font]
[/color]
~darkelfgirl~

Postby The Last Bard » Sun Feb 24, 2008 5:30 pm

I just picked up Trigun Maximum 1-4 and those are really good. XD
The Last Bard

Postby uc pseudonym » Fri Feb 29, 2008 2:04 pm

Vinland Saga Volume 5

Either the plot is wrapping up, or our themes so far have been only a prologue and this will be an epic. I lean toward the former, which would leave me feeling a bit underwhelmed.

Dragon Drive Volume 6

Eh, still mainstream shonen. At least the main characters have failed miserably.
uc pseudonym

Postby KeybladeWarrior » Fri Feb 29, 2008 7:59 pm

Fushigi Yugi vol. 1 and trying to finish up Rurouni Kenshin vol. 14
@)}~`,~ Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks, To All
The CAA Moderators.

"YEAH TOAST! TOCAA!"
KeybladeWarrior

Postby king atlantis » Sat Mar 01, 2008 11:06 am

yotsuba&....lol, i love it XDD
im a back.
king atlantis

Postby uc pseudonym » Sat Mar 01, 2008 5:04 pm

Buso Renkin Volume 10

Another series completed. Mildly entertaining, but I can see why it was canceled. Of more interest was the Embalming one shot contained, which I actually think seems a better premise than the upcoming Embalming series.
uc pseudonym

Postby Sakura15 » Sat Mar 01, 2008 8:48 pm

Recently I've been reading Bleach, im up to volume 6..sad I know, but I don't have an endless supply of mulah :P
[color="SeaGreen"]
"For I am the LORD, your God, who takes hold of your right hand and says to you, Do not fear; I will help you." -Isaiah 41:13
[/color]

[font="Georgia"]
Sakura's Deviantart
[/font]
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]
For what do I have
If I don't have You, Jesus?
What in this life
Could mean any more?- Starfield
[/color]
Sakura15

Postby Scepth » Sat Mar 01, 2008 8:53 pm

:O

I'm reading Bleach too.

And Naruto.

:P

_[color=LemonChiffon]__
__. .______[/color]
\\\[color=plum]_[Color=LemonChiffon]__[/color]\ /_[Color=LemonChiffon]__[/color]///[/color]
[color=plum]\\_[/Color]═╬═[color=plum]_//[/color]
\[Color=Plum]|[/color][Color=Plum]|/[/color]

:[color=indigo]::Mäķė Beļïëv3:::[/color]
[color=Indigo]Şčęק†ђ[/color]
<@
Scepth

Postby Sakura15 » Sat Mar 01, 2008 9:01 pm

I can't stand naruto as anime, is it any better in the manga?
[color="SeaGreen"]
"For I am the LORD, your God, who takes hold of your right hand and says to you, Do not fear; I will help you." -Isaiah 41:13
[/color]

[font="Georgia"]
Sakura's Deviantart
[/font]
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]
For what do I have
What in this life
[/color]
Sakura15

Postby minakichan » Sat Mar 01, 2008 9:08 pm

Got a recent little Pluto fix, chapters 48-50. It's started really picking up, with all these deaths. Atoms 6-billion conflict was haunting (and Urasawa remains a genius at drawing faces that exhibit strong, distinct personalities). Can't wait to see what happens next, although wait is probably what I will have to do.

My brother caught up on Naruto and told me about the recent death and the recent escalating fight. I don't plan on picking the series up soon (although it's not out of the question in the future); it sounds completely insane now. What kind of crack is Kishimoto on? Post-timeskip has been so extreme.
ImageImage
minakichan

Postby Scepth » Sat Mar 01, 2008 9:17 pm

Sakura15 (post: 1203958) wrote:I can't stand naruto as anime, is it any better in the manga?

The anime was ok at the earlier parts.. but then it started slacking with all the fillers.

And then the new season, "Shippuden" is kinda ok I guess. I dont really watch the show anymore =/

But the manga is good, I read it all pretty much except for a couple of side storys.

_[color=LemonChiffon]__
__. .______[/color]
\\\[color=plum]_[Color=LemonChiffon]__[/color]\ /_[Color=LemonChiffon]__[/color]///[/color]

<@
Scepth

Postby Sakura15 » Sat Mar 01, 2008 9:25 pm

Scepth (post: 1203974) wrote:The anime was ok at the earlier parts.. but then it started slacking with all the fillers.

And then the new season, "Shippuden" is kinda ok I guess. I dont really watch the show anymore =/

But the manga is good, I read it all pretty much except for a couple of side storys.

My older sister really likes Shippuden..but I couldn't get into it :P

Thats cool, I just can't handle all the fillers it has :P and the fact that the battles take freaking forever..although we probably shouldn't be talking about the anime here, oops ^^;;
[color="SeaGreen"]
[/color]

[font="Georgia"]
Sakura's Deviantart
[/font]
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]
For what do I have
What in this life
[/color]
Sakura15

Postby Scepth » Sat Mar 01, 2008 9:48 pm

[quote="Sakura15 (post: 1203983)"]My older sister really likes Shippuden..but I couldn't get into it :P

Thats cool, I just can't handle all the fillers it has :P and the fact that the battles take freaking forever..although we probably shouldn't be talking about the anime here, oops ^^]

haha yea true true

The fillers did ruin the show for me, then I started watching the show again when Shippuden was released..

Anyways.. to stay on topic

I'm always up to date with the current manga chapter, which is why I rarely watch the show.. coz I already know what's going to happen

_[color=LemonChiffon]__
__. .______[/color]

<@
Scepth

Postby Fish and Chips » Sat Mar 01, 2008 10:05 pm

Cromartie High School vol. 7-9
Sakura15 (post: 1203958) wrote:I can't stand naruto as anime, is it any better in the manga?

Naruto is never "Better."
Fish and Chips

Postby Aileen Kailum » Sun Mar 02, 2008 12:16 pm

Beauty Pop vol. 2 and Honey and Clover vol. 1.

Still waiting on Furuba 19....
Need some excitement and meaning to brighten your bleak existence? Enter the CAA Monthly Manga contest!
(Warning: side affects may/will include irritability, the cramping of hands, frustration, and/or loss of sleep.)

Close only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades
Aileen Kailum

Postby uc pseudonym » Sun Mar 02, 2008 2:43 pm

Question: is anyone here reading Psyren other than MasterDias and I? I think it's very likely I'll have some thoughts concerning these chapters, but if there's only two of us PM is the way to go. This had better not get canceled.

Sakura15 wrote:I can't stand naruto as anime, is it any better in the manga?

What don't you like about it as an anime? The manga isn't a seinen exploration of the human character, by any means. It does have better pacing and no filler, but if you don't like the plot itself that won't help.

[quote="minakichan"]My brother caught up on Naruto and told me about the recent death and the recent escalating fight. I don't plan on picking the series up soon (although it's not out of the question in the future)]
It actually feels pretty much the same to me. Certain things are a bit off or weird, but you'd expect people to finally start dying once the series nears its conclusion.
uc pseudonym

Postby Htom Sirveaux » Sun Mar 02, 2008 2:51 pm

Hunter x Hunter vol. 3. I'd forgotten how good this manga was.
[spoiler]Holy crap, I did not expect Killua to rip that dude's heart out. Whoa.[/spoiler]
If this post seems too utterly absurd or ridiculous to be taken seriously, don't. :)
Htom Sirveaux

Previous Next

Return to Manga and Manga Reviews