What Manga are you reading?

Post about anime's sister, manga in here. Manga reviews accepted in here as well.

Postby uc pseudonym » Tue Jan 22, 2008 2:44 pm

Monster Soul

Another title by Mashima Hiro (creator of Rave Master and Fairy Tail). It's not all that impressive, but I might read it because it's only two volumes.

EricTheFred wrote:Vinland Saga: any resemblance to the actual Saga of Leif Ericsson (aka the Vinland Saga) of literature? Or is this another case of 'let's take a neat title from Western literature and write a whole new story for it'?

It is a mix of both. While the manga-ka made an effort to be historically accurate (no vikings with katanas or Japanese philosophy in Europe) some of his Norse terminology is screwed up and it doesn't include as much mythology as I'd like. Leif is a character but not the main one... as far as I can tell his story is being used symbolically as the perfect land to which everyone aspires.
uc pseudonym

Postby Mithrandir » Tue Jan 22, 2008 5:59 pm

lotsel_chan (post: 1193748) wrote:Fruit basket! ^^ and Ouran high school host club!

Why hello there, lotsel_chan! If you start a thread in the "who's who" forum, we'll all greet you properly! :thumb:
Mithrandir

Postby RobinSena » Tue Jan 22, 2008 6:11 pm

Finished volume 3 of Nausicaa this afternoon, and I hope to start on 4 tonight, if I don't feel too horrible from the flu.
RobinSena

Postby uc pseudonym » Wed Jan 23, 2008 2:26 pm

Aflame Inferno Volume 1
Immortal Regis Volume 1

Both manwha, both shonen, both mediocre. They have a few interesting elements, though, so I'll probably continue to read them (such is the curse of the internet). Also, I will have to get some jokes about the first title out of my system.
uc pseudonym

Postby jon_jinn » Fri Jan 25, 2008 5:20 pm

Getbackers volumes 20-22.
[SIZE="4"]*FASTING FROM CAA (9/25/08 - ???)*[/SIZE]

[SIZE="1"]
"Sometimes we don't present the Gospel well enough for the non-elect to reject it."
- John MacArthur

"In the total expanse of the human life, there is not a single square inch of which Christ, who alone is sovereign, does not declare, 'That is mine'."
- Abraham Kuyper

"God the great Creator of all things doth uphold, direct, dispose, and govern all creatures, actions, and things, from the greatest even to the least, by His most wise and holy providence, according to His infallible foreknowledge and the free and immutable counsel of His own will, to the praise of the glory of His wisdom, power, justice, goodness, and mercy."
- Westminister Confession of Faith (Chapter 5, Section 1)

"The wisdom of God has found a way for the love of God to deliver sinners from the wrath of God all the while upholding the righteousness of God!!"
- John Piper

"Grace is the pleasure of God to magnify the worth of God by giving sinners the right and power to delight in God without obscuring the glory of God!"
-John Piper

"The very One from Whom we need to be saved, is the One Who has saved us."
- R.C. Sproul

"All of Christian life is ceaseless worship of God the Father, through the mediatorship of God the Son, by the indwelling power of God the Spirit, doing what God commands in Scripture, not doing what God forbids in Scripture, in culturally contextualized ways, for the furtherance of the Gospel, when both gathered for adoration, and scattered for action, in joyous response to God's glorious grace."
- Mark Driscoll

"Believers do not pray with the view of informing God about things unknown to Him, or of exciting Him to do His duty, or of urging Him as though He were reluctant. On the contrary, they pray in order that they may arouse themselves to seek Him, that they may exercise their faith in meditating on His promises, that they may relieve themselves from their anxieties by pouring them into His bosom; in a word, that they may declare that from Him alone they hope and expect, both for themselves and for others, all good things."
- Martin Luther

"I have to tell you first that I am ready to die. I have put my affairs in order. Your supreme weapon is killing. My supreme weapon is dying, because when you kill me, people all over Romania will read my books and believe on the God that I preach - even more than they do now."
- Dr. Joseph Ton, the exiled Romanian pastor (quoted by James Montgomery Boice)

"The best prayer I ever prayed had enough sin in it to condemn the whole world."
- John Bunyan

"If the Christian has lost sight of Calvary, that shows that he has lost his way."
- J.I. Packer[/SIZE]
jon_jinn

Postby Fish and Chips » Fri Jan 25, 2008 6:37 pm

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure vol. 34-44

Part IV has been an excersize in disappointment. Lots of potential, but it didn't capitalize on much of it. Couple volumes left, then I'll move on to Part V, which looks like a return to form.
Fish and Chips

Postby minakichan » Fri Jan 25, 2008 9:48 pm

anony-chan suggested I read Kurosagi chapters 1-9... it's great!! *_* I love stories about corrupt businesses and awesome main characters who use crazy acting and financial prowess! Must hunt down the drama....
ImageImage
minakichan

Postby Mist » Sun Jan 27, 2008 3:01 am

Well, I am currently keeping up with the scanlations of the Naruto manga(it's getting really good). As for actual tangible manga; Death Note and Bleach. My friend lent me all her manga for each. I've already finished Bleach up to Vol. 13, and I am on Vol. 4 of Death Note. They're both very interesting.

-Mist
Mist

Postby jon_jinn » Sun Jan 27, 2008 4:22 pm

Whistle! volume 18
Eyeshield 21 volume 18

[SIZE="1"]
"Sometimes we don't present the Gospel well enough for the non-elect to reject it."
- John MacArthur

"In the total expanse of the human life, there is not a single square inch of which Christ, who alone is sovereign, does not declare, 'That is mine'."
- Abraham Kuyper

"God the great Creator of all things doth uphold, direct, dispose, and govern all creatures, actions, and things, from the greatest even to the least, by His most wise and holy providence, according to His infallible foreknowledge and the free and immutable counsel of His own will, to the praise of the glory of His wisdom, power, justice, goodness, and mercy."

"The wisdom of God has found a way for the love of God to deliver sinners from the wrath of God all the while upholding the righteousness of God!!"
- John Piper

"Grace is the pleasure of God to magnify the worth of God by giving sinners the right and power to delight in God without obscuring the glory of God!"
-John Piper

- R.C. Sproul

"All of Christian life is ceaseless worship of God the Father, through the mediatorship of God the Son, by the indwelling power of God the Spirit, doing what God commands in Scripture, not doing what God forbids in Scripture, in culturally contextualized ways, for the furtherance of the Gospel, when both gathered for adoration, and scattered for action, in joyous response to God's glorious grace."
- Mark Driscoll

"Believers do not pray with the view of informing God about things unknown to Him, or of exciting Him to do His duty, or of urging Him as though He were reluctant. On the contrary, they pray in order that they may arouse themselves to seek Him, that they may exercise their faith in meditating on His promises, that they may relieve themselves from their anxieties by pouring them into His bosom; in a word, that they may declare that from Him alone they hope and expect, both for themselves and for others, all good things."
- Martin Luther

"I have to tell you first that I am ready to die. I have put my affairs in order. Your supreme weapon is killing. My supreme weapon is dying, because when you kill me, people all over Romania will read my books and believe on the God that I preach - even more than they do now."

"The best prayer I ever prayed had enough sin in it to condemn the whole world."
- John Bunyan

"If the Christian has lost sight of Calvary, that shows that he has lost his way."
- J.I. Packer[/SIZE]
jon_jinn

Postby Fish and Chips » Mon Jan 28, 2008 4:25 pm

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure vol. 45-47

Meh, at least the final showdown was suitably epic, although Killer Queen had an awful lot of suddenly convenient powers. Started Part V, which is already shaping up to be much improved.

More thoughts in the JoJo thread, possibly.
Fish and Chips

Postby uc pseudonym » Wed Jan 30, 2008 2:40 pm

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure Volumes 50-56

Turned in my final exam this morning, hence it is time to return to this series. This arc appears to be more organized than IV and less linear than III, which is fine by me. Still, I find that fight after fight wears on me, even with interesting abilities. At heart I don't want a series that lives off new gimmicks alone.
uc pseudonym

Postby uc pseudonym » Thu Jan 31, 2008 1:59 pm

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure Volumes 57-63

That finishes out Part V. I think I will leave Part VI alone for the time being, given that it is mostly untranslated. As this thread shows, I like to read my JoJo all at once.
uc pseudonym

Postby EricTheFred » Thu Jan 31, 2008 6:29 pm

Bleach Volume 22.
I'm a happy man.
May the Lord bless you and keep you.
May He cause His face to shine upon you.
May He lift up His countenance and grant you peace.

Maokun: Ninjas or Pirates? (Vikings are not a valid answer, sorry)

EricTheFred: Vikings are always a valid answer.

Feel free to visit My Writing.com Portfolio

Largo: "Well Ed, good to see ya. Guess I gotta beat the crap out of you now."

Jamie Hyneman: "It's just another lovely day at the bomb range. Birds are singing, rabbits are hopping about, and soon there's going to be a big explosion."
EricTheFred

Postby Fish and Chips » Thu Jan 31, 2008 11:54 pm

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure 48-50
Rurouni Kenshin vol. 17

End of the Kyoto Arc. A good end for a good villain.
Fish and Chips

Postby KeybladeWarrior » Fri Feb 01, 2008 6:42 pm

FullMetal Alchemist volume 9
@)}~`,~ Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks, To All
The CAA Moderators.

"YEAH TOAST! TOCAA!"
KeybladeWarrior

Postby uc pseudonym » Sat Feb 02, 2008 4:05 pm

Biomeat Nectar Volume 4

The second incident is still underway, so it remains to be seen if the better elements of the plot will win out over generic horror.
uc pseudonym

Postby KeybladeWarrior » Sat Feb 02, 2008 7:52 pm

Finished up FMA volume 9.

Now reading:
Rurouni Kenshin volume 13
FullMetal Alchemist volume 10
@)}~`,~ Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks, To All
The CAA Moderators.

"YEAH TOAST! TOCAA!"
KeybladeWarrior

Postby Mave » Sat Feb 02, 2008 9:01 pm

A lot of Detective Conan

I did not enjoy reading about [spoiler] Akai Shuichi's demise [/spoiler]
I don't like it when the cool, intelligent and capable characters get killed off too easily. But then again, there is speculation that he's still alive and it was just a trick to deceive the Black Organization.
Mave

Postby Fish and Chips » Sat Feb 02, 2008 11:33 pm

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure vol. 51
Rurouni Kenshin vol. 18-19

Twelve years after the Emperor and the Hanged Man, and it turns out Polnareff was right all along. There really is a world in the mirror.

As for Kenshin, the "Revenge" arc is shaping up to be pretty good. I like Enishi as an antagonist, and I'm interested in seeing where this is going.
Fish and Chips

Postby EricTheFred » Sun Feb 03, 2008 2:58 pm

Let's be careful with the spoilers, guys.

I'm reading Megatokyo #5 today. It's weird that I've read all these before, yet I'm still enjoying it as much as the first time.

And I've started reading Excel Saga again, after dropping it for quite a while. Volume 6.
May the Lord bless you and keep you.
May He cause His face to shine upon you.
May He lift up His countenance and grant you peace.

Maokun: Ninjas or Pirates? (Vikings are not a valid answer, sorry)

EricTheFred: Vikings are always a valid answer.

Feel free to visit My Writing.com Portfolio

Largo: "Well Ed, good to see ya. Guess I gotta beat the crap out of you now."

Jamie Hyneman: "It's just another lovely day at the bomb range. Birds are singing, rabbits are hopping about, and soon there's going to be a big explosion."
EricTheFred

Postby ~darkelfgirl~ » Sun Feb 03, 2008 4:50 pm

I'm reading .hack//Legend of the Twilight Bk. 2, Full Metal Alchemist bk. 2, and Death Note bk. 10.
[color=purple][font=Tahoma][color=royalblue]"But those who wait on the Lord shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings like eagles, they shall run and not be weary, they shall walk and not faint."--[/color]Isaiah 40:31
[/font]
[/color]
~darkelfgirl~

Postby Fish and Chips » Sat Feb 09, 2008 2:57 pm

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure vol. 52-53
Rurouni Kenshin vol. 20-23
Steel Ball Run vol. 6

"When we say 'Kill,' in reality it has already happened."
Fish and Chips

Postby jon_jinn » Mon Feb 11, 2008 1:26 pm

skimmed through HxH scans of volumes 18-19.

[SIZE="1"]
- John MacArthur

- Abraham Kuyper

- John Piper

-John Piper

- R.C. Sproul

- Mark Driscoll

- Martin Luther

- John Bunyan

- J.I. Packer[/SIZE]
jon_jinn

Postby uc pseudonym » Mon Feb 11, 2008 1:53 pm

Psyren

Is anyone else following this new SJ series? It only recently reached enough chapters for a first volume, but I like the start. Probably not more than typical shonen, but I think the storytelling is competent and the plot seems to show signs of being decent. At least it has a developed concept from the beginning, unlike the current big series, which began episodically.

Some people I've seen disliked the pacing, but I'm frankly glad to see a series where the main characters aren't overpowering from the beginning. The "Abraham" fight took about as long as I think made sense. Anyone have any thoughts?
uc pseudonym

Postby MasterDias » Mon Feb 11, 2008 11:01 pm

Yeah, I'm following it. It's one of the most promising new SJ series I've followed for awhile. Premise is fairly interesting at least and I'm liking the setting and story so far.

Unfortunately, SJ is notorious for canning series before they can actually get off the ground, so it's up in the air on whether this gets to go anywhere.

The main characters apparently got powers from going to the "other world" so we'll see how this is handled.
-----------------------------------------
"Always seek to do good to one another and to all."
1 Thessalonians 5:15

"Every story must have an ending." - Auron - Final Fantasy X

"A small stone may make a ripple at first, but someday it will be a wave." - Wiegraf - Final Fantasy Tactics
MasterDias

Postby Htom Sirveaux » Tue Feb 12, 2008 4:59 pm

Picked up the Sgt. Frog 1-3 omnibus. A while ago I had vol. 1-5 but I gave them away. Man, I forgot how funny this series is. Perhaps I'll actually follow it this time.
If this post seems too utterly absurd or ridiculous to be taken seriously, don't. :)
Htom Sirveaux

Postby uc pseudonym » Wed Feb 13, 2008 1:55 pm

Jack Frost Volume 1

This is the first manwha I have read in a long time that didn't strike me as meh. That isn't to say it's without shaky elements, but it doesn't feel like a ripoff. We have a new girl at school -> awkward moments -> meets a boy -> mass decapitations. It's also nice to see main characters who are so honestly and thoroughly twisted. No superpowered high school drama, this.

MasterDias wrote:The main characters apparently got powers from going to the "other world" so we'll see how this is handled.

That will probably add definition to the series, yes. Right now I suspect it will be more along the lines of general power (like the telepathy) instead of characters having unique powers. During the previous battle the girl seemed to be saying spell names or something similar.

I hope it doesn't get canceled. Is there anywhere on the internet where one can find these popularity polls that seem to make SJ series live or die?
uc pseudonym

Postby MasterDias » Wed Feb 13, 2008 2:42 pm

Witch Hunter
Hoshin Engi, Volume 2
Project Arms, Volume 2

I hope it doesn't get canceled. Is there anywhere on the internet where one can find these popularity polls that seem to make SJ series live or die?

Not polls exactly but...
http://community.livejournal.com/weeklyjump
Here someone posts the Weekly Jump ToC each week which is supposedly a pretty good judge of popularity. Naruto/One Piece/Bleach and company are pretty stable at the top, whereas if something has an extended stay near the bottom, it's usually a bad sign.

I don't believe series are actually ranked by popularity until around the 8th week or so however, so it's still a little early to tell with Psyren.
-----------------------------------------
"Always seek to do good to one another and to all."
1 Thessalonians 5:15

"Every story must have an ending." - Auron - Final Fantasy X

"A small stone may make a ripple at first, but someday it will be a wave." - Wiegraf - Final Fantasy Tactics
MasterDias

Postby jon_jinn » Wed Feb 13, 2008 4:34 pm

Muddy volume 1
an interesting series done by one of the assistants for the author of Reborn! the series sorta reminds me of FMA. not exactly the greatest series out there, but it deserves a chance.

[SIZE="1"]
- John MacArthur

- Abraham Kuyper

- John Piper

-John Piper

- R.C. Sproul

- Mark Driscoll

- Martin Luther

- John Bunyan

- J.I. Packer[/SIZE]
jon_jinn

Postby Fish and Chips » Wed Feb 13, 2008 11:43 pm

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure vol. 54
Rurouni Kenshin vol. 24-28 COMPLETED

I'll dabble more into Rurouni Kenshin tomorrow. Textbook Shounen done right, and an excellent staple of the genre.
Fish and Chips

Previous Next

Return to Manga and Manga Reviews