What Manga are you reading?

Post about anime's sister, manga in here. Manga reviews accepted in here as well.

Postby Aileen Kailum » Tue Jan 01, 2008 12:06 pm

W Juliet volume 8. One of these days I'm going to have to break down and buy the second volume of this series.
Need some excitement and meaning to brighten your bleak existence? Enter the CAA Monthly Manga contest!
(Warning: side affects may/will include irritability, the cramping of hands, frustration, and/or loss of sleep.)

Close only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades
Aileen Kailum

Postby uc pseudonym » Tue Jan 01, 2008 1:10 pm

RidleyofZebes wrote:Highschool of the Dead

I like the Zombies, but it could do without all the fanservice. Thanks to that, I'll probably not get the actual volumes. Good thing I'm reading it on the web.

What do you do with the zombie fanservice, then? Really, I feel similarly about the series and it's irritating whenever the plot cuts off to have another round of it.
jon_jinn wrote:Angel Densetsu volume 13. i'm starting to feel a little sad as this series is coming to its end. in a way, the series reminds me of GTO.

I'm glad you liked the series. Though it isn't quite completed (part of the last volume to go) I suspect the ending will be anticlimactic. Still, I found it an enjoyable experience.
uc pseudonym

Postby jon_jinn » Tue Jan 01, 2008 1:14 pm

uc pseudonym wrote:I'm glad you liked the series. Though it isn't quite completed (part of the last volume to go) I suspect the ending will be anticlimactic. Still, I found it an enjoyable experience.

yes. i'm kind of disappointed that they haven't gotten the final volume out yet...
[SIZE="4"]*FASTING FROM CAA (9/25/08 - ???)*[/SIZE]

[SIZE="1"]
"Sometimes we don't present the Gospel well enough for the non-elect to reject it."
- John MacArthur

"In the total expanse of the human life, there is not a single square inch of which Christ, who alone is sovereign, does not declare, 'That is mine'."
- Abraham Kuyper

"God the great Creator of all things doth uphold, direct, dispose, and govern all creatures, actions, and things, from the greatest even to the least, by His most wise and holy providence, according to His infallible foreknowledge and the free and immutable counsel of His own will, to the praise of the glory of His wisdom, power, justice, goodness, and mercy."
- Westminister Confession of Faith (Chapter 5, Section 1)

"The wisdom of God has found a way for the love of God to deliver sinners from the wrath of God all the while upholding the righteousness of God!!"
- John Piper

"Grace is the pleasure of God to magnify the worth of God by giving sinners the right and power to delight in God without obscuring the glory of God!"
-John Piper

"The very One from Whom we need to be saved, is the One Who has saved us."
- R.C. Sproul

"All of Christian life is ceaseless worship of God the Father, through the mediatorship of God the Son, by the indwelling power of God the Spirit, doing what God commands in Scripture, not doing what God forbids in Scripture, in culturally contextualized ways, for the furtherance of the Gospel, when both gathered for adoration, and scattered for action, in joyous response to God's glorious grace."
- Mark Driscoll

"Believers do not pray with the view of informing God about things unknown to Him, or of exciting Him to do His duty, or of urging Him as though He were reluctant. On the contrary, they pray in order that they may arouse themselves to seek Him, that they may exercise their faith in meditating on His promises, that they may relieve themselves from their anxieties by pouring them into His bosom; in a word, that they may declare that from Him alone they hope and expect, both for themselves and for others, all good things."
- Martin Luther

"I have to tell you first that I am ready to die. I have put my affairs in order. Your supreme weapon is killing. My supreme weapon is dying, because when you kill me, people all over Romania will read my books and believe on the God that I preach - even more than they do now."
- Dr. Joseph Ton, the exiled Romanian pastor (quoted by James Montgomery Boice)

"The best prayer I ever prayed had enough sin in it to condemn the whole world."
- John Bunyan

"If the Christian has lost sight of Calvary, that shows that he has lost his way."
- J.I. Packer[/SIZE]
jon_jinn

Postby RidleyofZebes » Tue Jan 01, 2008 8:31 pm

uc pseudonym (post: 1188215) wrote:What do you do with the zombie fanservice, then? Really, I feel similarly about the series and it's irritating whenever the plot cuts off to have another round of it.

I hear ya... @_@
So far, I've read all that's been scanlated. The plot had just started to pick back up, so it's kind like a cliffhanger ATM. ._.;;
~Ridley [color="Green"] ;)
[/color]
[font="Arial Black"][color="Red"]My [color="Red"]deviantART[/color][/color][/font] | [font="Arial Black"][color="Red"]My [color="Red"]YouTube[/color][/color][/font]
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
~~~[color="Yellow"]AKA: DarkwaterhHealer~~~[/color]
Even when lurking, I am with you in spirit...

Another Sane Sig brought to you by MOES.
RidleyofZebes

Postby Aileen Kailum » Wed Jan 02, 2008 4:01 pm

Wish volume 1.

Not horribly interesting. And from what I've heard, I probably won't read the rest.
Need some excitement and meaning to brighten your bleak existence? Enter the CAA Monthly Manga contest!
(Warning: side affects may/will include irritability, the cramping of hands, frustration, and/or loss of sleep.)

Close only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades
Aileen Kailum

Postby MasterDias » Thu Jan 03, 2008 5:20 pm

Blade of the Immortal: Volume 5
Togari: Volume 3
Eyeshield 21: Volume 17

Shaman King

I've read everything but the last volume or so (not yet translated). It is obvious it will not be close to finished in this time. This is unfortunate, because I wanted to see how the endurance match against the Patch was going to end. He did a good job of making it seem realistically impossible, but I was wondering how he would make the characters survive it without seeming ridiculous. Most likely I will be disappointed by the ending.

While I haven't yet completely gotton this straight...
Evidently, according to a flyer handed out at Jump Fiesta, Takei is going to get to do ending chapters to Shaman King later this year (in Jump Square I think, if I understood it right.)

I have heard that the series had serious flaws in later volumes, but I've always thought it was sort of unfair to the author for it to be cancelled so abruptly after being serialized that long.
-----------------------------------------
"Always seek to do good to one another and to all."
1 Thessalonians 5:15

"Every story must have an ending." - Auron - Final Fantasy X

"A small stone may make a ripple at first, but someday it will be a wave." - Wiegraf - Final Fantasy Tactics
MasterDias

Postby kryptech » Fri Jan 04, 2008 7:36 am

Battle Angel Alita: Last Order volume 6 through 8
I'm enjoying the sci-fi elements. The rewind to vampires back in the past on Earth was a nice surprise. Still, the gore is pretty heavy at times. I'd love to read volume 9 but the cover is questionable enough for me to leave it at the library. Sure, the content might not be that bad but that isn't what people would think if they saw the cover.
"Everybody's weird in their own special way." - P.V.
"Never refuse a breath mint." - my dad
"The UAC is making safer worlds through superior firepower." - Doom 3
"This world is a great sculptor's shop. We are the statues and there is a rumour going round the shop that some of us are some day going to come to life." - C.S. Lewis, Mere Christianity

"I'm too cool to scroll. -- MOES."
kryptech

Postby jon_jinn » Fri Jan 04, 2008 12:36 pm

Battle Angel Alita volume 1
Genshiken volume 1

two random reads that i decided to try out. not very impressed by Battle Angel's inconsistent artwork and somewhat lengthy fights. Genshiken's story is quite unique, but kinda unusual and bizarre.

[SIZE="1"]
"Sometimes we don't present the Gospel well enough for the non-elect to reject it."
- John MacArthur

"In the total expanse of the human life, there is not a single square inch of which Christ, who alone is sovereign, does not declare, 'That is mine'."
- Abraham Kuyper

"God the great Creator of all things doth uphold, direct, dispose, and govern all creatures, actions, and things, from the greatest even to the least, by His most wise and holy providence, according to His infallible foreknowledge and the free and immutable counsel of His own will, to the praise of the glory of His wisdom, power, justice, goodness, and mercy."

"The wisdom of God has found a way for the love of God to deliver sinners from the wrath of God all the while upholding the righteousness of God!!"
- John Piper

"Grace is the pleasure of God to magnify the worth of God by giving sinners the right and power to delight in God without obscuring the glory of God!"
-John Piper

- R.C. Sproul

"All of Christian life is ceaseless worship of God the Father, through the mediatorship of God the Son, by the indwelling power of God the Spirit, doing what God commands in Scripture, not doing what God forbids in Scripture, in culturally contextualized ways, for the furtherance of the Gospel, when both gathered for adoration, and scattered for action, in joyous response to God's glorious grace."
- Mark Driscoll

"Believers do not pray with the view of informing God about things unknown to Him, or of exciting Him to do His duty, or of urging Him as though He were reluctant. On the contrary, they pray in order that they may arouse themselves to seek Him, that they may exercise their faith in meditating on His promises, that they may relieve themselves from their anxieties by pouring them into His bosom; in a word, that they may declare that from Him alone they hope and expect, both for themselves and for others, all good things."
- Martin Luther

"I have to tell you first that I am ready to die. I have put my affairs in order. Your supreme weapon is killing. My supreme weapon is dying, because when you kill me, people all over Romania will read my books and believe on the God that I preach - even more than they do now."

"The best prayer I ever prayed had enough sin in it to condemn the whole world."
- John Bunyan

"If the Christian has lost sight of Calvary, that shows that he has lost his way."
- J.I. Packer[/SIZE]
jon_jinn

Postby uc pseudonym » Fri Jan 04, 2008 2:14 pm

MasterDias wrote:While I haven't yet completely gotton this straight...
Evidently, according to a flyer handed out at Jump Fiesta, Takei is going to get to do ending chapters to Shaman King later this year (in Jump Square I think, if I understood it right.)

I have heard that the series had serious flaws in later volumes, but I've always thought it was sort of unfair to the author for it to be cancelled so abruptly after being serialized that long.

Ah, I'd be glad to read the rest of it, as I'm curious about how he intended to finish things. Otherwise I agree, both about the cancellation and about the problems.
uc pseudonym

Postby KeybladeWarrior » Fri Jan 04, 2008 11:53 pm

Reading FullMetal Alchemist volume 7 and Dragon Drive volume 5
@)}~`,~ Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks, To All
The CAA Moderators.

"YEAH TOAST! TOCAA!"
KeybladeWarrior

Postby Htom Sirveaux » Sat Jan 05, 2008 9:23 am

jon_jinn (post: 1189140) wrote:Battle Angel Alita volume 1
Genshiken volume 1

two random reads that i decided to try out. not very impressed by Battle Angel's inconsistent artwork and somewhat lengthy fights. Genshiken's story is quite unique, but kinda unusual and bizarre.

I love Genshiken. It takes a close-up, humorous look at every aspect of the otaku subculture. Just a warning: that means there's also a lot of hentai jokes (nothing terribly explicit, though).
If this post seems too utterly absurd or ridiculous to be taken seriously, don't. :)
Htom Sirveaux

Postby jon_jinn » Sat Jan 05, 2008 10:03 am

SpoonyBard (post: 1189383) wrote:Just a warning: that means there's also a lot of hentai jokes (nothing terribly explicit, though).

so i've noticed...

[SIZE="1"]
- John MacArthur

- Abraham Kuyper

- John Piper

-John Piper

- R.C. Sproul

- Mark Driscoll

- Martin Luther

- John Bunyan

- J.I. Packer[/SIZE]
jon_jinn

Postby Fish and Chips » Sat Jan 05, 2008 2:18 pm

Under Execution, Under Jailbreak vol. 1

A collection of short stories by Hirohiko Araki, which may or may not be loosely linked with the JoJo universe. Violent and bizarre, but fairly interesting. And I would personally like to see him do something more with Dead Man's Questions.
Fish and Chips

Postby Fish and Chips » Thu Jan 10, 2008 12:57 am

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure vol. 29-33, 64-66
Melty Blood vol. 4

Seconding UC's opinion on Part IV. It's definitely the weakest of the arcs thus far, though I'm tempted to say this is more because it hasn't settled on any one of multiple plot lines yet; Joseph's illegitimate son, the escaped convict, the Bow and Arrow, daily school life with superpowers...Araki needs to just pick something and run with it, though I chose to cut him some slack for the fact that Part IV was a sudden dish to serve up (due to the series' popularity in Japan). At least he's kept the Stands interesting.

In the meantime, read ahead to Part VI, which I've read is something of a mixed bag of peanuts among fans. Only three volumes have been translated, so that's about as far as I got. First volume was, meh, decent, but the next three picked up the pace considerably, and now I'm wishing more than just the first three volumes were available in English. Ah well, patience. My only complaint is that Araki needs a less hideous looking supporting cast. And Xander McQueen drew the short straw when it comes to Stands.

Temporarily skipping Part V on account of fruitiness. I can't take it seriously.

Also, browsing RAWs of Steel Ball Run has only redoubled my belief that someone needs to jump on that now.
Fish and Chips

Postby uc pseudonym » Thu Jan 10, 2008 2:28 pm

Wolf and Spice Volume 1

Wait... is this clever dialogue in a manga? I think so, anyway, but here is where translation makes all the difference. Unfortunately, the intelligently written story is matched by a lot of the female lead naked. That's not so much a direct problem as it is uncomfortable being reminded that the target audience is apparently pedophiles.

Biomeat - Necter Volume 1

Horror manga, nothing all that innovative but well done. I'll read more once I have time.
uc pseudonym

Postby uc pseudonym » Sat Jan 12, 2008 5:09 pm

Dragon Drive Volumes 1-3

Very average/stereotypical shonen, but I kept reading it. The internet has that effect. Though I'm incredulous at just how often the series invokes Protagonist Power, at least it has the conspiracy element going and it seems obvious they're setting up for a plot twist.
uc pseudonym

Postby KeybladeWarrior » Mon Jan 14, 2008 8:44 am

Dragon Drive vol. 5
Aishiteruze Baby vol. 1
@)}~`,~ Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks, To All
The CAA Moderators.

"YEAH TOAST! TOCAA!"
KeybladeWarrior

Postby EricTheFred » Wed Jan 16, 2008 11:00 am

SGT. FROG #14!!!

I just picked this one up. This is the volume that has been delayed for so long, there was actually a joke about it in the Lucky Star anime. It's finally out!!!!!

Also picked up Orphen #4
May the Lord bless you and keep you.
May He cause His face to shine upon you.
May He lift up His countenance and grant you peace.

Maokun: Ninjas or Pirates? (Vikings are not a valid answer, sorry)

EricTheFred: Vikings are always a valid answer.

Feel free to visit My Writing.com Portfolio

Largo: "Well Ed, good to see ya. Guess I gotta beat the crap out of you now."

Jamie Hyneman: "It's just another lovely day at the bomb range. Birds are singing, rabbits are hopping about, and soon there's going to be a big explosion."
EricTheFred

Postby uc pseudonym » Wed Jan 16, 2008 2:04 pm

Vinland Saga Volumes 1-3

Manga about vikings. Enough said.
uc pseudonym

Postby MasterDias » Wed Jan 16, 2008 7:21 pm

Gundam: The Origin - Volume 1
Wolf and Spice
Tales of Innocence
more Pluto and Shaman King
BioMeat - Nectar

I don't really care for horror very much but BM was pretty amusing. The author drew the main protagonists normally, and then drew a lot of the minor and expendable characters as ugly as possible.

"A small stone may make a ripple at first, but someday it will be a wave." - Wiegraf - Final Fantasy Tactics
MasterDias

Postby uc pseudonym » Thu Jan 17, 2008 2:20 pm

Hotaru no Hikaru Volume 1
Midnight Secretary Volume 1

I have apparently been spoiled in my josei reading. The former has an older protagonist and is set at work instead of school, but otherwise it has everything that makes me despise younger girls titles. I guess shojo readers get older eventually and not all of them grow up. Strangely, the latter title is just shojo (allegedly) but seems more intelligent. Probably the first protagonist I've seen with any semblance of a personality.

MasterDias wrote:I don't really care for horror very much but BM was pretty amusing. The author drew the main protagonists normally, and then drew a lot of the minor and expendable characters as ugly as possible.

Yes, there really wasn't much question of who was going to get killed. I have to say, after the first arc the manga began to catch my attention - this obviously isn't about straight horror, but about how humanity engineers it. At least I hope there will be explanations for everything in time.
uc pseudonym

Postby minakichan » Fri Jan 18, 2008 9:52 pm

Been picking up a lot of first chapters of random manga. Noticeable ones:

M. C. Law - teenage delinquent lawyer = HYSTERICAL WTF. Definitely original, but really weird.
Cm0 - I've been reading too many sensei-love stories recently... this is better than most though.
Deadman Wonderland - SO VIOLENT TT_TT but interesting, and snazzy art... I feel conflicted.
PXP - not as good as other Yoshizumi works; it's kind of bland... it's kaitou, so I might give it a shot.
Gakuen Ouji - it's really dirty, but fascinating; a scary representation of the power of horny fangirls.
ImageImage
minakichan

Postby MasterDias » Sat Jan 19, 2008 3:11 pm

Rave Master: Volume 26

MasterDias

Postby uc pseudonym » Sat Jan 19, 2008 3:19 pm

Biomeat - Nectar Volume 3

I think this volume has more space devoted to humans killing one another than monsters killing them. Quintessential horror. Meanwhile, the gap in Weekly SJ caused by Golden Week is finally over and chapters are progressing as normal.
uc pseudonym

Postby EricTheFred » Sat Jan 19, 2008 6:24 pm

Grenadier 3

And, I picked up a clever new OEL manga from Seven Seas called "Hollow Fields". A fifth-grade girl gets mistakenly enrolled in a school for mad scientists! Good artwork, and not half-bad writing.

Jamie Hyneman: "It's just another lovely day at the bomb range. Birds are singing, rabbits are hopping about, and soon there's going to be a big explosion."
EricTheFred

Postby Fish and Chips » Sun Jan 20, 2008 10:24 pm

Cromartie High School vol. 4-6
Rurouni Kenshin vol. 8-16
Fish and Chips

Postby uc pseudonym » Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:58 pm

Vinland Saga Volume 4

More vikings, but less flashback. We'll see how the series develops, but right now I feel as though the author doesn't have quite enough on the table to keep my attention.

Deadman Wonderland Volume 2

Can you say "MacGuffins"? I knew you could! Really, I might continue reading just to see what's going on, though the storyline itself hasn't been all that interesting.
uc pseudonym

Postby EricTheFred » Tue Jan 22, 2008 11:20 am

uc pseudonym (post: 1193536) wrote:Vinland Saga Volume 4

More vikings, but less flashback. We'll see how the series develops, but right now I feel as though the author doesn't have quite enough on the table to keep my attention.

Deadman Wonderland Volume 2

Can you say "MacGuffins"? I knew you could! Really, I might continue reading just to see what's going on, though the storyline itself hasn't been all that interesting.

As common as a MacGuffin is in Manga, I still bet no Mangaka can pronounce it!

Vinland Saga: any resemblance to the actual Saga of Leif Ericsson (aka the Vinland Saga) of literature? Or is this another case of 'let's take a neat title from Western literature and write a whole new story for it'?

EricTheFred

Postby Fish and Chips » Tue Jan 22, 2008 12:12 pm

Samurai Executioner vol. 7-10 COMPLETED

By the last couple of volumes, the Jitte sublot nearly overtook the series. Asemon isn't much of a main character himself as a thread for several different short stories to be collected under the same pretense. And some decent social commentary.
Fish and Chips

Postby minakichan » Tue Jan 22, 2008 1:33 pm

Reading just about every shoujo manga one-shot I can find. Most of them happen to involve either sexual harassment or reverse-pedophilia (sensei-love).

I'm such a hopeless masochist.
ImageImage
minakichan

Previous Next

Return to Manga and Manga Reviews