What Manga are you reading?

Post about anime's sister, manga in here. Manga reviews accepted in here as well.

Postby minakichan » Thu Dec 13, 2007 2:21 pm

Yes, there's something about this series that it found promising. The central concept is somewhat interesting (I hope they play more with luck as a quantifiable entity) and I like the main character as a single father. It will have to outgrow this premise to keep me as a reader, but I have high hopes.

Yeah, it worked beautifully as a one-shot, but by chapter two, I was kind of like "Is this going to become an assassination-mission-of-the-day kind of series?" but I have my fingers crossed. The main character is such a doting father, it's so rare for a Jump series, and it's really cute =D
ImageImage
minakichan

Postby Wave » Fri Dec 14, 2007 8:54 pm

Lets see I am cruelty reading Tsubasa by CLAMP, And Buso Renkin by Nobuhiro Watsuki

wave.
••• ––– •••

You have heard that the law of Moses says "Do not commit adultry." But I say, anyone who even looks at a women with lust in his eys has already committed adultery with her in his heart
Mathew 5:27-29
Wave

Postby KeybladeWarrior » Sun Dec 16, 2007 12:11 pm

Awhile back I finished Yotsuba&! volume 5 and GinTama volume 3. Recently read the recent chapters of Bleach, FMA, and Naruto Shippunden.
@)}~`,~ Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks, To All
The CAA Moderators.

"YEAH TOAST! TOCAA!"
KeybladeWarrior

Postby Fish and Chips » Sun Dec 16, 2007 1:14 pm

Cromartie High School vol. 1-3

I have decided to call him "Freddie."
Fish and Chips

Postby uc pseudonym » Sun Dec 16, 2007 1:19 pm

Houshin Engi Volumes 7-8

Reading bit by bit, as I have more time with finals over. It varies from irritating me to pulling me in, but I'll continue for the time being. However, given how many super powerful sannin have been announced, I have to wonder how the series will continue for another 10+ volumes.

Doujinshi (various for Gantz and Bleach)

Always a mistake.
uc pseudonym

Postby minakichan » Sun Dec 16, 2007 1:28 pm

HOUSHIN ENGI. IS AMAZING. *fangirl*

In case it seems really "evil sennin of the week" for you, and you're wondering how it can continue for 23 volumes, let's just say that things aren't all they seem in the Senninkai, especially within the Konron authority. (Sekrit conspiracies FTW) I love Fujiryuu's crazy humor and his insanely anachronistic character designs (and some of his CGI art is just gorgeous), but I love Houshin Engi because while it can be funny and lighthearted and sarcastic, near the middle it starts becoming heart-wrenching and dramatic (and ancient China is always bonus points for me). It is the ONLY fighting shounen I will ever love, the only one I have read all the way through, multiple times.

Speaking of Fujisaki Ryu, I just finished re-reading his 2nd one-shot anthology, Dramatic Irony. I highly recommend it to anyone who is intrigued by Fujiryuu's art style or sense of humor, but doesn't have the time to go through the 23-volume Houshin Engi. The short story "Milk Junkie" is possibly one of the coolest one-shots I've ever read.
ImageImage
minakichan

Postby uc pseudonym » Mon Dec 17, 2007 2:06 pm

It is interesting to hear you discuss the series. I've assumed it had a significant number of fans, given how long it was, but I haven't heard any of them articulate why.

I read volumes 9-10, but I am now motivated to get through the more tedious parts to find out about this conspiracy and presumed plot twist. When I get off work today I may have some free time.

Last Fantasy Volumes 1-2

Mediocre manwha. I picked it up wondering if it would be a Final Fantasy parody... which it wasn't.
uc pseudonym

Postby minakichan » Thu Dec 20, 2007 12:48 pm

've been re-reading and catching up on Detective Conan. It kind of feels weird-- I really loved it as a kid, but reading it again, I kind of wonder: did I have a CLUE what was happening when I read this years ago? I mean, it's a kids' manga, but with all this crazy stuff like adultery and abuse and Ai's utterly morbid pessimism and Conan and Ai always being afraid that the Black Organization is going to come and torture them and kill all their loved ones... I'm pretty sure I never caught on to any of that stuff when I was younger. Also, I kind of feel like as someone who is actually Shinichi and Ran's age now (a little older), I can finally understand their relationship better.
ImageImage
minakichan

Postby Fish and Chips » Thu Dec 20, 2007 12:57 pm

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure vol. 1-12

VIZ better translate the first two arcs after they finish with the third. I won't stand for it.
Fish and Chips

Postby uc pseudonym » Thu Dec 20, 2007 2:38 pm

Houshin Engi 11-18

Sennin war and all of that. Are there more mysteries yet to come, or have I learned pretty much everything? It is good to see some of the already known characters play roles instead of newly introduced opponents.
uc pseudonym

Postby minakichan » Thu Dec 20, 2007 2:53 pm

Hmm, by volume 18... There's, I guess, the "mystery" of the entire series near the end, probably volume 20ish to 23; it's not something that you can anticipate because there are very few hints to it throughout the series. I actually thought that part was a little too "Wait, what?!"; it just comes out of nowhere; that, and the end made me sad =(

I love the characters in Houshin Engi~ They are all insane in their own Fujiryuu way.
ImageImage
minakichan

Postby Sanji07 » Thu Dec 20, 2007 4:38 pm

I just got done reading Megaman NT Warrior vol.10. ^^;; Perhaps I can get Dragon Drives vols.4 & 5 soon.
[color="SeaGreen"]@)}[/color][color="black"]~`,~[/color] Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks, To All The CAA Moderators.
98% of the teenage population does or has tried smoking pot. If you're one of the 2% who hasn't, copy & paste this in your signature
Servant of: Hypersocks-the leader of extrolling hyperness! ^-^
I believe in Jesus Christ, my Savior. If you do too and are not scared to admit it, then copy and paste this in your signature.
Sanji07

Postby Sakura15 » Fri Dec 21, 2007 3:25 pm

Full Metal Alchemist (which I just started to read, finally XD) and Bleach.
[color="SeaGreen"]
"For I am the LORD, your God, who takes hold of your right hand and says to you, Do not fear; I will help you." -Isaiah 41:13
[/color]

[font="Georgia"]
Sakura's Deviantart
[/font]
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]
For what do I have
If I don't have You, Jesus?
What in this life
Could mean any more?- Starfield
[/color]
Sakura15

Postby Fish and Chips » Sun Dec 23, 2007 6:30 pm

Rurouni Kenshin vol. 5-7
Samurai Deeper Kyo vol. 25

Real Kubira is my new favorite "Villain" in quotation marks. Real Haira, however, is lame and should be swiftly dealt with.

And Saito Hajime is awesome. Yeah, his role is pretty cut and dry, but that doesn't make him any less awesome.
Fish and Chips

Postby MasterDias » Sun Dec 23, 2007 8:31 pm

Blade of the Immortal, Volume 4
Claymore, Volume 10
Kekkaishi, Volume 10
Sakura Taisen, Volume 1
Kurogane no Linebarrel, Chapter 1
...and about 1 volume or so of Pluto

All within the past few weeks.
-----------------------------------------
"Always seek to do good to one another and to all."
1 Thessalonians 5:15

"Every story must have an ending." - Auron - Final Fantasy X

"A small stone may make a ripple at first, but someday it will be a wave." - Wiegraf - Final Fantasy Tactics
MasterDias

Postby kryptech » Mon Dec 24, 2007 6:05 am

Battle Angel Alita: Last Order volumes 2 - 4
This is more complicated and interesting than I originally expected...
"Everybody's weird in their own special way." - P.V.
"Never refuse a breath mint." - my dad
"The UAC is making safer worlds through superior firepower." - Doom 3
"This world is a great sculptor's shop. We are the statues and there is a rumour going round the shop that some of us are some day going to come to life." - C.S. Lewis, Mere Christianity

"I'm too cool to scroll. -- MOES."
kryptech

Postby uc pseudonym » Mon Dec 24, 2007 2:25 pm

Houshin Engi Volumes 19-23

Finished the series. I enjoyed it overall and it certainly had a better ending than many of the manga running at a similar time.

minakichan wrote:I love the characters in Houshin Engi~ They are all insane in their own Fujiryuu way.

Once he became a more important character, I became a fairly solid Youzen fan. Nataku is also nice as a representative "I will blow it up" school of tactics. Though I tend to dislike characters that appear in the 11th hour, I liked the fire-themed guy (blanking on his name at the moment).
uc pseudonym

Postby jon_jinn » Tue Dec 25, 2007 10:17 pm

Eyeshield 21 volume 17
Hunter x Hunter volume 17
[SIZE="4"]*FASTING FROM CAA (9/25/08 - ???)*[/SIZE]

[SIZE="1"]
"Sometimes we don't present the Gospel well enough for the non-elect to reject it."
- John MacArthur

"In the total expanse of the human life, there is not a single square inch of which Christ, who alone is sovereign, does not declare, 'That is mine'."
- Abraham Kuyper

"God the great Creator of all things doth uphold, direct, dispose, and govern all creatures, actions, and things, from the greatest even to the least, by His most wise and holy providence, according to His infallible foreknowledge and the free and immutable counsel of His own will, to the praise of the glory of His wisdom, power, justice, goodness, and mercy."
- Westminister Confession of Faith (Chapter 5, Section 1)

"The wisdom of God has found a way for the love of God to deliver sinners from the wrath of God all the while upholding the righteousness of God!!"
- John Piper

"Grace is the pleasure of God to magnify the worth of God by giving sinners the right and power to delight in God without obscuring the glory of God!"
-John Piper

"The very One from Whom we need to be saved, is the One Who has saved us."
- R.C. Sproul

"All of Christian life is ceaseless worship of God the Father, through the mediatorship of God the Son, by the indwelling power of God the Spirit, doing what God commands in Scripture, not doing what God forbids in Scripture, in culturally contextualized ways, for the furtherance of the Gospel, when both gathered for adoration, and scattered for action, in joyous response to God's glorious grace."
- Mark Driscoll

"Believers do not pray with the view of informing God about things unknown to Him, or of exciting Him to do His duty, or of urging Him as though He were reluctant. On the contrary, they pray in order that they may arouse themselves to seek Him, that they may exercise their faith in meditating on His promises, that they may relieve themselves from their anxieties by pouring them into His bosom; in a word, that they may declare that from Him alone they hope and expect, both for themselves and for others, all good things."
- Martin Luther

"I have to tell you first that I am ready to die. I have put my affairs in order. Your supreme weapon is killing. My supreme weapon is dying, because when you kill me, people all over Romania will read my books and believe on the God that I preach - even more than they do now."
- Dr. Joseph Ton, the exiled Romanian pastor (quoted by James Montgomery Boice)

"The best prayer I ever prayed had enough sin in it to condemn the whole world."
- John Bunyan

"If the Christian has lost sight of Calvary, that shows that he has lost his way."
- J.I. Packer[/SIZE]
jon_jinn

Postby uc pseudonym » Wed Dec 26, 2007 2:20 pm

Ares Volume 14

Things continue, but it's a mixed bag. I thought the series had some intriguing character development, but it turns out there was just supposed to be a plot twist and now someone is the villain. Disappointing. At the same time, there are some great fights that don't feel the need to narrate themselves to be intelligent.

Shin Angyo Onshi Volume 15

Finally, things are coming to the end. Sadly the flashback is still continuing (we just get glimpses of the present) but at least some of the most important details are now being revealed.
uc pseudonym

Postby jon_jinn » Thu Dec 27, 2007 5:28 pm

Angel Densetsu volume 1.
the character designs, and overall artwork of this series is quite odd and doesn't suit my tastes at all. however, seeing as the story is somewhat intriguing, i will persist further into the series...

[SIZE="1"]
"Sometimes we don't present the Gospel well enough for the non-elect to reject it."
- John MacArthur

"In the total expanse of the human life, there is not a single square inch of which Christ, who alone is sovereign, does not declare, 'That is mine'."
- Abraham Kuyper

"God the great Creator of all things doth uphold, direct, dispose, and govern all creatures, actions, and things, from the greatest even to the least, by His most wise and holy providence, according to His infallible foreknowledge and the free and immutable counsel of His own will, to the praise of the glory of His wisdom, power, justice, goodness, and mercy."

"The wisdom of God has found a way for the love of God to deliver sinners from the wrath of God all the while upholding the righteousness of God!!"
- John Piper

"Grace is the pleasure of God to magnify the worth of God by giving sinners the right and power to delight in God without obscuring the glory of God!"
-John Piper

- R.C. Sproul

"All of Christian life is ceaseless worship of God the Father, through the mediatorship of God the Son, by the indwelling power of God the Spirit, doing what God commands in Scripture, not doing what God forbids in Scripture, in culturally contextualized ways, for the furtherance of the Gospel, when both gathered for adoration, and scattered for action, in joyous response to God's glorious grace."
- Mark Driscoll

"Believers do not pray with the view of informing God about things unknown to Him, or of exciting Him to do His duty, or of urging Him as though He were reluctant. On the contrary, they pray in order that they may arouse themselves to seek Him, that they may exercise their faith in meditating on His promises, that they may relieve themselves from their anxieties by pouring them into His bosom; in a word, that they may declare that from Him alone they hope and expect, both for themselves and for others, all good things."
- Martin Luther

"I have to tell you first that I am ready to die. I have put my affairs in order. Your supreme weapon is killing. My supreme weapon is dying, because when you kill me, people all over Romania will read my books and believe on the God that I preach - even more than they do now."

"The best prayer I ever prayed had enough sin in it to condemn the whole world."
- John Bunyan

"If the Christian has lost sight of Calvary, that shows that he has lost his way."
- J.I. Packer[/SIZE]
jon_jinn

Postby uc pseudonym » Fri Dec 28, 2007 2:03 pm

Shaman King Volumes 14+

Returning to this, I'm enjoying it more than I once did. I like statistics and numbers, so the furyoku and reiyoku parts are fun. It is also nice to see a manga-ka who can balance a large cast, unlike certain major series (coughcough).

But mid way through (volume 23ish) everything starts collapsing. The quality of many story aspects plunges and the plot becomes erratic. I read several volumes past this to see if something important was being set up or the writing was intentionally so awkward, but it seems this is honestly the way that part of the story progresses. Unless this rights itself quickly, I can see why it was canceled.

jon_jinn wrote:Angel Densetsu volume 1.
the character designs, and overall artwork of this series is quite odd and doesn't suit my tastes at all. however, seeing as the story is somewhat intriguing, i will persist further into the series...

I suggest you do, as the art will improve and the other aspects remain. But the question you should probably ask yourself is if you find it humorous or entertaining. If not, the writing doesn't improve all that much and it may not be a series for you.
uc pseudonym

Postby Sheenar » Fri Dec 28, 2007 11:00 pm

I just finished Fruits Basket #5. I've also recently finished FMA ch. 78. Both are awesome mangas. I'll be sad when they're over (they better have awesome endings --none of that anti-climatic stuff! :lol: )
"Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal." 2 Corinthians 4:16-18

"Since the creation of the Internet, the Earth's rotation has been fueled, primarily, by the collective spinning of English teachers in their graves."
Sheenar

Postby jon_jinn » Sat Dec 29, 2007 10:44 am

uc pseudonym wrote:I suggest you do, as the art will improve and the other aspects remain. But the question you should probably ask yourself is if you find it humorous or entertaining. If not, the writing doesn't improve all that much and it may not be a series for you.

the story was quite interesting. i DID, in fact, find it to be quite entertaining. the hilarious situations were very comical. i suppose i will continue with the series. my question is whether the series actually progresses in plot, or does it simply consist of 15 volumes worth of episodic chapters filled with humorous hijinks?

[SIZE="1"]
- John MacArthur

- Abraham Kuyper

- John Piper

-John Piper

- R.C. Sproul

- Mark Driscoll

- Martin Luther

- John Bunyan

- J.I. Packer[/SIZE]
jon_jinn

Postby uc pseudonym » Sat Dec 29, 2007 4:36 pm

Shaman King

I've read everything but the last volume or so (not yet translated). It is obvious it will not be close to finished in this time. This is unfortunate, because I wanted to see how the endurance match against the Patch was going to end. He did a good job of making it seem realistically impossible, but I was wondering how he would make the characters survive it without seeming ridiculous. Most likely I will be disappointed by the ending.

jon_jinn wrote:the story was quite interesting. i DID, in fact, find it to be quite entertaining. the hilarious situations were very comical. i suppose i will continue with the series. my question is whether the series actually progresses in plot, or does it simply consist of 15 volumes worth of episodic chapters filled with humorous hijinks?

While it never gets a real plot, it evolves away from the episodic style fairly quickly. More important characters will be introduced that bring with them more serious (in the sense of having some weight, not losing the comedy) storylines. There will also be some pretty good martial arts.
uc pseudonym

Postby jon_jinn » Sat Dec 29, 2007 6:46 pm

uc pseudonym wrote:While it never gets a real plot, it evolves away from the episodic style fairly quickly. More important characters will be introduced that bring with them more serious (in the sense of having some weight, not losing the comedy) storylines. There will also be some pretty good martial arts.

sounds interesting enough to keep me reading. i'm sure i will grow used to the author's incredibly odd artwork, and character designs, after awhile...

[SIZE="1"]
- John MacArthur

- Abraham Kuyper

- John Piper

-John Piper

- R.C. Sproul

- Mark Driscoll

- Martin Luther

- John Bunyan

- J.I. Packer[/SIZE]
jon_jinn

Postby RidleyofZebes » Sun Dec 30, 2007 7:22 pm

Highschool of the Dead

I like the Zombies, but it could do without all the fanservice. :eyeroll: Thanks to that, I'll probably not get the actual volumes. Good thing I'm reading it on the web.
~Ridley [color="Green"] ;)
[/color]
[font="Arial Black"][color="Red"]My [color="Red"]deviantART[/color][/color][/font] | [font="Arial Black"][color="Red"]My [color="Red"]YouTube[/color][/color][/font]
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
~~~[color="Yellow"]AKA: DarkwaterhHealer~~~[/color]
Even when lurking, I am with you in spirit...

Another Sane Sig brought to you by MOES.
RidleyofZebes

Postby Htom Sirveaux » Sun Dec 30, 2007 8:17 pm

I picked up Genshiken vol. 9, but I'm almost reluctant to read it. Not because I don't like it; that's just the thing, Genshiken is one of my favorites and I didn't want it to end so soon. Ah, well. I've still got Monster, anyway. There I'm up to vol. 8.
If this post seems too utterly absurd or ridiculous to be taken seriously, don't. :)
Htom Sirveaux

Postby jon_jinn » Sun Dec 30, 2007 10:17 pm

Angel Densetsu volumes 2-12.

good gosh. i never thought i like the series so much. i have, indeed, grown quite used to the artwork. the story, though relatively repetitive is still interesting due to the characters and their relationships.

[SIZE="1"]
- John MacArthur

- Abraham Kuyper

- John Piper

-John Piper

- R.C. Sproul

- Mark Driscoll

- Martin Luther

- John Bunyan

- J.I. Packer[/SIZE]
jon_jinn

Postby uc pseudonym » Mon Dec 31, 2007 5:38 pm

Beet the Vandel Buster Volume 12
Buso Renkin Volumes 8-9
Judas Volume 4
Bleach Volume 20

Another wave of the series I generally follow in bookstores (plus a rereading of Bleach's best volume). Beet continues to be just above average, Buso Renkin is nearing its end while disappointing me immensely, and Judas can't have much more than a volume to go. It looks like Jesus isn't the antagonist. I find myself wondering how the manga-ka feels about Christianity or if this is purely fiction to them.
uc pseudonym

Postby jon_jinn » Mon Dec 31, 2007 11:54 pm

Angel Densetsu volume 13. i'm starting to feel a little sad as this series is coming to its end. in a way, the series reminds me of GTO.

[SIZE="1"]
- John MacArthur

- Abraham Kuyper

- John Piper

-John Piper

- R.C. Sproul

- Mark Driscoll

- Martin Luther

- John Bunyan

- J.I. Packer[/SIZE]
jon_jinn

Previous Next

Return to Manga and Manga Reviews