The golden compass

TV, Movies, Sports...you can find it all in here.

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Sat Dec 08, 2007 11:42 am

Shao Feng-Li wrote:Mmm. What she's saying isn't exactly wrong either.

Pluralism kills...

I don't think it's logical to shift the blame entirely on "Liberal Atheism".

But I digress.
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby beau99 » Sat Dec 08, 2007 2:33 pm

Well, The Golden Compass is bombing. Horribly.

http://boxofficemojo.com/daily/chart/?sortdate=2007-12-07&p=.htm

While it will end up being #1 this weekend, the projected total of around 25 million is half of what the studio was aiming for.
beau99

Postby CAAOutkast » Sat Dec 08, 2007 4:13 pm

Mr. SmartyPants wrote:I don't think it's logical to shift the blame entirely on "Liberal Atheism".

But I digress.

I also blamed Us for not doing anything. If I've offended anyone with my rand then I apologise.
Eternal Fan of Sailor Moon and the Original Mega Man!
CAAOutkast

Postby Momo-P » Sat Dec 08, 2007 5:11 pm

CephasWhite wrote:(2 Timothy 3:1-5 NIV)+stuff

I don't mean this badly, so don't take it that way. XD

Basically though, what I was gonna say...that passage you brought up is true, but you mustn't forget people have always acted that way as well. I mean, didn't people in the Old Testament act abusive? Unholy? Ungrateful? Disobedient to their parents? Lovers of pleasure over God? Those are things that have always existed, but I do believe it'll get much worse with every single year. Just looking around now...I once heard that sexual diseases that were once only normal in women from their 30-40's, are actually showing up in girls around 10 years old. Like the girls today are so much more sexually active, that they're getting diseases that most women took years of sex to work into.

That's downright scary.

As for the broken compass, thank God it's bombing big. Even though I'm still concerned, I had a feeling we'd prevail. I mean...atheists can always mock us for having big mouths, but so what? It's thanks to those big mouths that this info got around so fast. XD
Momo-P

Postby minakichan » Sat Dec 08, 2007 5:35 pm

Liberal Atheism

While some Christians believe the there's a liberal atheist conspiracy controlling America, you do realize that many liberals and atheists, often not even the extreme ones, believe the there is a conservative evangelical Christian conspiracy controlling America?

I love conspiracies in anime, but in real life, I don't really believe them at all.
ImageImage
minakichan

Postby bakura_fan » Sat Dec 08, 2007 5:37 pm

Momo-P wrote:As for the broken compass, thank God it's bombing big. Even though I'm still concerned, I had a feeling we'd prevail. I mean...atheists can always mock us for having big mouths, but so what? It's thanks to those big mouths that this info got around so fast. XD

lol. you are so right! ^_^ I'm glad that it's not doing too well. Means we most likely won't have to deal with a second and a third.
:angel:

[color=DeepSkyBlue] "He lives in you. He lives in me. [/color]He watches over everything we see.
Into the water. Into the truth. [color=Yellow][color=DeepSkyBlue]In your reflection, He lives in you." - He lives in you chorus[/color][/color]
"Slow, love, slow. Time's so fast. Now goes quickly, see Now it's past!
Soon will come, Soon will last. Wait." [color=Yellow]- Wait (sweeney todd) [/color]

[align=center]My art page.

[align=center]Married to swordguy
:hug:

[/align]
[/align]
bakura_fan

Postby CephasWhite » Sat Dec 08, 2007 5:41 pm

It seems people like Pullman forget that most Canadians and Americans are Christians and have a strong faith.
Two Steps From Hell - Tristan <--(click)
†††††††††††††
We have been here long enough to know
That we are all brothers and sisters in Christ,
So if you are in need of help,
We shall give you His advice.

May God add his blessings upon you,
That you will live this day and forever,
And when He comes to the earth again,
We will all go together...

Into Heaven for Eternity...

[SIZE="5"][color="Green"]M[/color][color="Red"]E[/color][color="Green"]R[/color][color="Red"]R[/color][color="Green"]Y[/color] [color="Red"]C[/color][color="Green"]H[/color][color="Red"]R[/color][color="Green"]I[/color][color="Red"]S[/color][color="Green"]T[/color][color="Red"]M[/color][color="Green"]A[/color][color="Red"]S[/color][color="Green"]![/color][color="Red"]![/color][color="Green"]![/color][/SIZE]
CephasWhite

Postby beau99 » Sat Dec 08, 2007 7:06 pm

Eh, while I'm happy that The Golden Compass is failing to do much, this does spell bad news for the studio.

They've actually put their future existence in the hands of this movie. It fails, and people could be losing jobs.
beau99

Postby CAAOutkast » Sat Dec 08, 2007 7:08 pm

Momo-P wrote:I don't mean this badly, so don't take it that way. XD

Basically though, what I was gonna say...that passage you brought up is true, but you mustn't forget people have always acted that way as well. I mean, didn't people in the Old Testament act abusive? Unholy? Ungrateful? Disobedient to their parents? Lovers of pleasure over God? Those are things that have always existed, but I do believe it'll get much worse with every single year. Just looking around now...I once heard that sexual diseases that were once only normal in women from their 30-40's, are actually showing up in girls around 10 years old. Like the girls today are so much more sexually active, that they're getting diseases that most women took years of sex to work into.

That's downright scary.

As for the broken compass, thank God it's bombing big. Even though I'm still concerned, I had a feeling we'd prevail. I mean...atheists can always mock us for having big mouths, but so what? It's thanks to those big mouths that this info got around so fast. XD

Yeah,I guess you're right,Momo.
CAAOutkast

Postby CAAOutkast » Sat Dec 08, 2007 7:15 pm

minakichan wrote:While some Christians believe the there's a liberal atheist conspiracy controlling America, you do realize that many liberals and atheists, often not even the extreme ones, believe the there is a conservative evangelical Christian conspiracy controlling America?

I love conspiracies in anime, but in real life, I don't really believe them at all.

Yeah,but remember they control the culture.....as well as the media. Now,I'm not saying that ALL Athiests are bad,Just the ones that are controling our popular culture. Let me give you a small list of things that are corrupting our culture:

Most Universities
Currupt Sexual Education Programs
B.E.T.
Fuse
MTV
VH1
W.E.
Oxygen
Spike TV (oxygen and w.e.'s male counterpart)
G4
Current TV
Playboy
Girls Gone Wild
Penthouse

And The List Goes On..

Now We have 2 Choices. The foolish way or the Best way. The Foolish way would be to boycot these. Or we can do it the smart way,Witness to the people who work for and run these companies, As well as pray for their salvation.
CAAOutkast

Postby minakichan » Sat Dec 08, 2007 7:18 pm

They've actually put their future existence in the hands of this movie. It fails, and people could be losing jobs.

I wouldn't be so confident. It is said that only one in four Hollywood films is actually a commercial success. That is to say, tons of movies flop, but Hollywood studios still stick around.

But a flop can definitely prevent a sequel, however, it has to flop pretty badly. Some bad films still get sequels made, even when no one watched the first one.
ImageImage
minakichan

Postby minakichan » Sat Dec 08, 2007 7:24 pm

Yeah,but remember they control the culture.....as well as the media. Now,I'm not saying that ALL Athiests are bad,Just the ones that are controling our are culture. Let me give you a small list of things that are corrupting our culture:

Hm, you have a point; however, some of that isn't really mainstream, and aside from University professors, none of it has a specific political agenda in mind.

Let me put it this way-- ever heard CNN advocates and Fox News advocates scream at each other? Both claim the other is a political/religious conspiracy.
ImageImage
minakichan

Postby Nate » Sat Dec 08, 2007 7:43 pm

Momo-P wrote:you mustn't forget people have always acted that way as well. I mean, didn't people in the Old Testament act abusive? Unholy? Ungrateful? Disobedient to their parents? Lovers of pleasure over God? Those are things that have always existed, but I do believe it'll get much worse with every single year.

Agreed. A lot of Christians make out the old churches to be holy and awesome and perfect, but they faced a LOT of the same problems we do today. The letters Paul wrote to the churches were addressing the churches of that time, you know, showing that the people then were just as bad, just as prone to petty disputes, and just as inundated with the sinful culture of that time.
Let me give you a small list of things that are corrupting our culture:

You've made a very faulty logical error here, known as "after this, therefore because of this." You assume that because the culture is corrupt that these things must be the cause. This is not necessarily true. It could be the opposite, that rather, because the culture is corrupting these things.

For example, you cite Playboy. This is all well and good, but remember, Michaelangelo's David, and the paintings in the Sistine Chapel, are nude, yet we consider them works of great art. It seems to be merely an American thing to equate nudity with sex, when in actuality, nudity and sex are not the same. Remember that Adam and Eve were naked, and they felt no shame. It was only after they sinned that they felt shame in their nakedness.

If things do not sell well or rate well, then they won't be made as often. Look at "The Man Game" for console systems. It had lots of nudity, and sold really poorly. Why? Because it was a terrible game. They probably won't make another one. The truth is if something performs well that more things like it will be made.

This is why the assumption that those things are corrupting America is faulty. If those things weren't popular, they would have failed, but they didn't. At any rate it is equally as valid to claim that the culture has corrupted the media rather than the media corrupting culture.

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby beau99 » Sat Dec 08, 2007 7:44 pm

Christisright wrote:Yeah,but remember they control the culture.....as well as the media. Now,I'm not saying that ALL Athiests are bad,Just the ones that are controling our popular culture. Let me give you a small list of things that are corrupting our culture:

Most Universities
Currupt Sexual Education Programs
B.E.T.
Fuse
MTV
VH1
W.E.
Oxygen
Spike TV (oxygen and w.e.'s male counterpart)
G4
Current TV
Playboy
Girls Gone Wild
Penthouse

And The List Goes On..

Now We have 2 Choices. The foolish way or the Best way. The Foolish way would be to boycot these. Or we can do it the smart way,Witness to the people who work for and run these companies, As well as pray for their salvation.

Like it or not, Christians work for every single one of these companies. And in the case of BET, a Christian runs the company.

Also, I personally don't believe Fuse TV, Oxygen, WE, Spike or G4 are corrupting anyone.
beau99

Postby GrubbTheFragger » Sat Dec 08, 2007 8:16 pm

well this thread is as good as locked. *sigh* It was good till the debate started
Follow and suggest movies.

Lightscameracritics.wordpress.com

Now running the 15 days of halloween.
GrubbTheFragger

Postby Shao Feng-Li » Sat Dec 08, 2007 8:33 pm

More than anything, they just reveal the nature of a society XD
Shao Feng-Li

Postby bakura_fan » Sat Dec 08, 2007 9:08 pm

GrubbTheFragger wrote:well this thread is as good as locked. *sigh* It was good till the debate started

yeah. It feels like the majority of the threads I like end up locked due to debates. =_=; so...here's hoping...it doesn't. So...in case it doesn't. Please...take anymore debate like replies to PM/IM. I'd like to try to keep this open to discuss the movie if anyone should see it.
:angel:

[color=DeepSkyBlue] "He lives in you. He lives in me. [/color]He watches over everything we see.
Into the water. Into the truth. [color=Yellow][color=DeepSkyBlue]In your reflection, He lives in you." - He lives in you chorus[/color][/color]
"Slow, love, slow. Time's so fast. Now goes quickly, see Now it's past!
Soon will come, Soon will last. Wait." [color=Yellow]- Wait (sweeney todd) [/color]

[align=center]My art page.

[align=center]Married to swordguy
:hug:

[/align]
[/align]
bakura_fan

Postby mechana2015 » Sat Dec 08, 2007 9:24 pm

http://buzz.yahoo.com/buzzlog/81733/a-golden-controversy

An interesting commentary about how the calls to boycott are affecting the film and the Golden compass in general, at least in search numbers.

My Deviantart
"MOES. I can has Sane Sig now?"
mechana2015

Postby CAAOutkast » Sat Dec 08, 2007 9:36 pm

beau99 wrote: Also, I personally don't believe Fuse TV, Oxygen, WE, Spike or G4 are corrupting anyone.

Whatever. We still have to Witness to them and pray for their salvation,anyway. It's our duty!
CAAOutkast

Postby CAAOutkast » Sat Dec 08, 2007 9:53 pm

Nate wrote:You've made a very faulty logical error here, known as "after this, therefore because of this." You assume that because the culture is corrupt that these things must be the cause. This is not necessarily true. It could be the opposite, that rather, because the culture is corrupting these things.

For example, you cite Playboy. This is all well and good, but remember, Michaelangelo's David, and the paintings in the Sistine Chapel, are nude, yet we consider them works of great art. It seems to be merely an American thing to equate nudity with sex, when in actuality, nudity and sex are not the same. Remember that Adam and Eve were naked, and they felt no shame. It was only after they sinned that they felt shame in their nakedness.

If things do not sell well or rate well, then they won't be made as often. Look at "The Man Game" for console systems. It had lots of nudity, and sold really poorly. Why? Because it was a terrible game. They probably won't make another one. The truth is if something performs well that more things like it will be made.

This is why the assumption that those things are corrupting America is faulty. If those things weren't popular, they would have failed, but they didn't. At any rate it is equally as valid to claim that the culture has corrupted the media rather than the media corrupting culture.

So you're theory is that The Culture effects the Media instead of the other way around. Sounds plausible.
CAAOutkast

Postby Stephen » Sat Dec 08, 2007 10:19 pm

Stephen

Previous

Return to General Entertainment