What Manga are you reading?

Post about anime's sister, manga in here. Manga reviews accepted in here as well.

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Sun Nov 25, 2007 4:35 pm

jon_jinn wrote:ha ha! :lol: yes, indeed; i did get my avatar off of your live journal. i hope you aren't offended...

Haha no man, it's all good. Feel free to use it.
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby uc pseudonym » Mon Nov 26, 2007 2:22 pm

Superior Volume 5

Finally. Though I very much want to see the resolution to this series, at this point it is beginning to feel stretched. Right now I am only through the first chapter, but it releases by volumes in Japan so it could end in 150 more pages or so.

jon_jinn wrote:if you are willing to converse with one who has merely read up to the 16th volume of HxH, then i would be delighted to start a discussion thread for this series.

Volume 16 gets you through most of Greed Island, so all we couldn't talk about was the newest arc. I will make a thread and perhaps we can catch some other readers who may not use this one.
uc pseudonym

Postby Sanji07 » Mon Nov 26, 2007 3:26 pm

I've read the first volume of "Ultra Maniac" and "The Palette of 12 Secret Colors".
[color="SeaGreen"]@)}[/color][color="black"]~`,~[/color] Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks, To All The CAA Moderators.
98% of the teenage population does or has tried smoking pot. If you're one of the 2% who hasn't, copy & paste this in your signature
Servant of: Hypersocks-the leader of extrolling hyperness! ^-^
I believe in Jesus Christ, my Savior. If you do too and are not scared to admit it, then copy and paste this in your signature.
Sanji07

Postby Puguni » Mon Nov 26, 2007 4:00 pm

Fairy Tail. 8'D
Puguni

Location: In a place where I can wonder why good grammar doesn't apply on the internet.

Postby Sakura15 » Wed Nov 28, 2007 6:11 am

Lovely Com
[color="SeaGreen"]
"For I am the LORD, your God, who takes hold of your right hand and says to you, Do not fear; I will help you." -Isaiah 41:13
[/color]

[font="Georgia"]
Sakura's Deviantart
[/font]
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]
For what do I have
If I don't have You, Jesus?
What in this life
Could mean any more?- Starfield
[/color]
Sakura15

Postby uc pseudonym » Wed Nov 28, 2007 1:48 pm

To anyone who reads Fairy Tail: go read chapter 65. Anyone who likes what we've seen of Mistgun so far, do it immediately. Let's just say he hasn't been MIA during the Phantom Lord attack. Now that we have a decent idea about his personality, I think I have a new favorite character in this manga.

Other reading: MPD Psycho Volumes 1 and 2

Very seinen. Though I think there are some flaws in the writing, these lie very close to the complex parts of the plot. It is nice to read something that doesn't force-feed you the answers. I somewhat question the artistic value of the series (the author has a letter about this that did not impress me), but I will continue to read it to see.
uc pseudonym

Postby jon_jinn » Wed Nov 28, 2007 4:44 pm

Voyeur volume 1
Voyeur Inc. volume 1

another random read that i happened to stumble upon. the artwork isn't the greatest, and some of the disturbing content and nudity could've been left out. however, the story, itself, is quite original and unique and really gives you something to think about...
[SIZE="4"]*FASTING FROM CAA (9/25/08 - ???)*[/SIZE]

[SIZE="1"]
"Sometimes we don't present the Gospel well enough for the non-elect to reject it."
- John MacArthur

"In the total expanse of the human life, there is not a single square inch of which Christ, who alone is sovereign, does not declare, 'That is mine'."
- Abraham Kuyper

"God the great Creator of all things doth uphold, direct, dispose, and govern all creatures, actions, and things, from the greatest even to the least, by His most wise and holy providence, according to His infallible foreknowledge and the free and immutable counsel of His own will, to the praise of the glory of His wisdom, power, justice, goodness, and mercy."
- Westminister Confession of Faith (Chapter 5, Section 1)

"The wisdom of God has found a way for the love of God to deliver sinners from the wrath of God all the while upholding the righteousness of God!!"
- John Piper

"Grace is the pleasure of God to magnify the worth of God by giving sinners the right and power to delight in God without obscuring the glory of God!"
-John Piper

"The very One from Whom we need to be saved, is the One Who has saved us."
- R.C. Sproul

"All of Christian life is ceaseless worship of God the Father, through the mediatorship of God the Son, by the indwelling power of God the Spirit, doing what God commands in Scripture, not doing what God forbids in Scripture, in culturally contextualized ways, for the furtherance of the Gospel, when both gathered for adoration, and scattered for action, in joyous response to God's glorious grace."
- Mark Driscoll

"Believers do not pray with the view of informing God about things unknown to Him, or of exciting Him to do His duty, or of urging Him as though He were reluctant. On the contrary, they pray in order that they may arouse themselves to seek Him, that they may exercise their faith in meditating on His promises, that they may relieve themselves from their anxieties by pouring them into His bosom; in a word, that they may declare that from Him alone they hope and expect, both for themselves and for others, all good things."
- Martin Luther

"I have to tell you first that I am ready to die. I have put my affairs in order. Your supreme weapon is killing. My supreme weapon is dying, because when you kill me, people all over Romania will read my books and believe on the God that I preach - even more than they do now."
- Dr. Joseph Ton, the exiled Romanian pastor (quoted by James Montgomery Boice)

"The best prayer I ever prayed had enough sin in it to condemn the whole world."
- John Bunyan

"If the Christian has lost sight of Calvary, that shows that he has lost his way."
- J.I. Packer[/SIZE]
jon_jinn

Postby minakichan » Sat Dec 01, 2007 1:32 pm

Ohhh Koukou Debut!!!! My favorite shoujo manga ever! (Even more than Ouran Host Club!) You win at a lot for reading that!

I'm trying to catch up on Reborn, since I put it on hiatus for a while. I'm also reading (the 3 chapters of) Mademoiselle Butterfly, which is pretty!
ImageImage
minakichan

Postby EricTheFred » Sun Dec 02, 2007 10:38 am

Enchanter volumes 1, 2 and 3.

And I just put Yotsubato #6 on preorder.
May the Lord bless you and keep you.
May He cause His face to shine upon you.
May He lift up His countenance and grant you peace.

Maokun: Ninjas or Pirates? (Vikings are not a valid answer, sorry)

EricTheFred: Vikings are always a valid answer.

Feel free to visit My Writing.com Portfolio

Largo: "Well Ed, good to see ya. Guess I gotta beat the crap out of you now."

Jamie Hyneman: "It's just another lovely day at the bomb range. Birds are singing, rabbits are hopping about, and soon there's going to be a big explosion."
EricTheFred

Postby Mister Frodo » Sun Dec 02, 2007 12:06 pm

Buso Renkin 9.

I think I like this series more than Rurouni Kenshin.
Mister Frodo

Postby Aileen Kailum » Sun Dec 02, 2007 12:09 pm

Mister Frodo wrote:Buso Renkin 9.

I think I like this series more than Rurouni Kenshin.

Oops. Frodo really should log out when he's finished...
Need some excitement and meaning to brighten your bleak existence? Enter the CAA Monthly Manga contest!
(Warning: side affects may/will include irritability, the cramping of hands, frustration, and/or loss of sleep.)

Close only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades
Aileen Kailum

Postby Fish and Chips » Mon Dec 03, 2007 11:29 pm

21st Century Boys volume 1

Finally translated. Took them long enough.
Fish and Chips

Postby Sakura15 » Tue Dec 04, 2007 6:25 am

Just started to read Bleach.
[color="SeaGreen"]
"For I am the LORD, your God, who takes hold of your right hand and says to you, Do not fear; I will help you." -Isaiah 41:13
[/color]

[font="Georgia"]
Sakura's Deviantart
[/font]
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]
For what do I have
If I don't have You, Jesus?
What in this life
Could mean any more?- Starfield
[/color]
Sakura15

Postby chimera189 » Wed Dec 05, 2007 11:11 am

Hayate the Combat Butler vol.3
Defend the Bible? I would as soon defend a lion! Charles Spurgeon
I want to know how God created this world. I am not interested in this or that phenomenon, in the spectrum of this or that element. I want to know His thoughts. The rest are details. Albert Einstien
Luke 23:39-43; "And it also makes me smile to think that there is a grinning ex-con walking the streets of gold that knows more about grace than a thousand theologans. No one else would have given him a prayer, but in the end that is all he had, and in the end that is all it took." -Max Lucado

[url=myspace.com/chimera189]myspace[/url]
chimera189

Postby uc pseudonym » Wed Dec 05, 2007 2:12 pm

Houshin Engi Volumes 5+

This series is just barely keeping my interest (I'm not sure how the story is going to cover as many volumes as it does). Currently with finals my reading is stalled, but I expect to return to the series once things become more relaxed.
uc pseudonym

Postby jon_jinn » Wed Dec 05, 2007 4:07 pm

Voyeur Inc volume 2.

[SIZE="1"]
"Sometimes we don't present the Gospel well enough for the non-elect to reject it."
- John MacArthur

"In the total expanse of the human life, there is not a single square inch of which Christ, who alone is sovereign, does not declare, 'That is mine'."
- Abraham Kuyper

"God the great Creator of all things doth uphold, direct, dispose, and govern all creatures, actions, and things, from the greatest even to the least, by His most wise and holy providence, according to His infallible foreknowledge and the free and immutable counsel of His own will, to the praise of the glory of His wisdom, power, justice, goodness, and mercy."

"The wisdom of God has found a way for the love of God to deliver sinners from the wrath of God all the while upholding the righteousness of God!!"
- John Piper

"Grace is the pleasure of God to magnify the worth of God by giving sinners the right and power to delight in God without obscuring the glory of God!"
-John Piper

- R.C. Sproul

"All of Christian life is ceaseless worship of God the Father, through the mediatorship of God the Son, by the indwelling power of God the Spirit, doing what God commands in Scripture, not doing what God forbids in Scripture, in culturally contextualized ways, for the furtherance of the Gospel, when both gathered for adoration, and scattered for action, in joyous response to God's glorious grace."
- Mark Driscoll

"Believers do not pray with the view of informing God about things unknown to Him, or of exciting Him to do His duty, or of urging Him as though He were reluctant. On the contrary, they pray in order that they may arouse themselves to seek Him, that they may exercise their faith in meditating on His promises, that they may relieve themselves from their anxieties by pouring them into His bosom; in a word, that they may declare that from Him alone they hope and expect, both for themselves and for others, all good things."
- Martin Luther

"I have to tell you first that I am ready to die. I have put my affairs in order. Your supreme weapon is killing. My supreme weapon is dying, because when you kill me, people all over Romania will read my books and believe on the God that I preach - even more than they do now."

"The best prayer I ever prayed had enough sin in it to condemn the whole world."
- John Bunyan

"If the Christian has lost sight of Calvary, that shows that he has lost his way."
- J.I. Packer[/SIZE]
jon_jinn

Postby MasterDias » Thu Dec 06, 2007 11:54 am

It's been a few days but...Blade of the Immortal, Volume 3.

These past several volumes have made a BoTI fan, but interlibrary loan is a really slow way to read manga...
-----------------------------------------
"Always seek to do good to one another and to all."
1 Thessalonians 5:15

"Every story must have an ending." - Auron - Final Fantasy X

"A small stone may make a ripple at first, but someday it will be a wave." - Wiegraf - Final Fantasy Tactics
MasterDias

Postby Kkun » Thu Dec 06, 2007 1:55 pm

I just bought Death Note vol. 1 and 2. I'm kind of hooked on this series now.
I'm a shoe-in for hater of the year.
Kkun

Postby jon_jinn » Thu Dec 06, 2007 4:12 pm

Voyeur Inc volume 3.

[SIZE="1"]
- John MacArthur

- Abraham Kuyper

- John Piper

-John Piper

- R.C. Sproul

- Mark Driscoll

- Martin Luther

- John Bunyan

- J.I. Packer[/SIZE]
jon_jinn

Postby Song of Amazon » Fri Dec 07, 2007 6:35 am

I'm in the middle of Red River (vol 19) but it's making me afraid that it's getting really formulaic. Alas.
I'm also working through Ah! My Goddess, Alice 19th, Fushigi Yuugi: Genbu Kaiden, Sakura Taisen, Kaze Hikaru, and I'd like to read more Crimson Hero.

Eek... I really am reading too much manga.
[color="Plum"]| fanfiction | cosplay | fiction | art |[/color]
Song of Amazon

Postby MasterDias » Tue Dec 11, 2007 12:42 pm

Psyren by Iwashiro Toshiaki

New Jump series. We'll see if it lasts.
The premise is promising.
-----------------------------------------
"Always seek to do good to one another and to all."
1 Thessalonians 5:15

"Every story must have an ending." - Auron - Final Fantasy X

"A small stone may make a ripple at first, but someday it will be a wave." - Wiegraf - Final Fantasy Tactics
MasterDias

Postby minakichan » Tue Dec 11, 2007 1:00 pm

First chapter of Shiki, written by Ono Fuyumi (Twelve Kingdoms) and drawn by the astoundingly amazing Fujisaki Ryuu!

I love Fujiryur with a burning passion, but I'm a little disappointed that he's drawing for this. Shiki (translates as Corpse Demon) is definitely a horror series, and while Fujiryuu is an amazing artist with a beautiful style (most awesome mangaka in business today, eh eh?), I love his hysterical writing, and his sci-fi/fantasy/comedy art with crazy anachronistic clothing design and insane physical proportions. ;_; I want more of THAT...
ImageImage
minakichan

Postby uc pseudonym » Tue Dec 11, 2007 1:48 pm

MPD Psycho Volumes 2-3

More of the same, though the true plot appears to be mostly introduced.

Juushin Enbu

New series drawn by Himoru Arakawa. However, it's written by someone else and all I really care about is the story, so I'll judge it on its own merits. Right now it seems generic but has potential.

smilen_al wrote:Looking for a clean (No cursing) naruto manga online. Any sites that u can recommend?

Links to scans are not allowed on CAA, though users can PM you if they desire. For the same reason, the site reference has been removed from your post.

MasterDias wrote:Psyren by Iwashiro Toshiaki

New Jump series. We'll see if it lasts.
The premise is promising.

Yes, I've been following this since it came out. Right now it hasn't proved itself incredible, but there's something about it that has potential. Once it has more than two chapters to develop the characters and show us more about the nature of the game I'll decide if I want to continue following it.
uc pseudonym

Postby Fish and Chips » Tue Dec 11, 2007 4:28 pm

uc pseudonym wrote:MPD Psycho Volumes 2-3

More of the same, though the true plot appears to be mostly introduced.

What are your thoughts on the collection so far? I've been considering looking into it.
uc pseudonym wrote:Juushin Enbu

New series drawn by Himoru Arakawa. However, it's written by someone else and all I really care about is the story, so I'll judge it on its own merits. Right now it seems generic but has potential.

Juushin Enbu hasn't really capitalized on its potential as of what I've read of the Manga and watched of the Anime. I'd have much rather seen a continuation of Bat in a Blue Sky or her earlier work Demons of Shanghai than this.
Fish and Chips

Postby fairyprincess90 » Wed Dec 12, 2007 9:55 am

Archlord volume 3
fairyprincess90

Postby uc pseudonym » Wed Dec 12, 2007 2:25 pm

Currently looking at a seinen series called Songoku. I can't quite tell what to think of it yet. It probably won't rise above your usual vaguely historical war manga.

Fish and Chips wrote:What are your thoughts on the collection so far? I've been considering looking into it.

Some of my thoughts are in post #1719. Otherwise, I'm still withholding judgment on quite a few parts of the series. However, as I continue to read I suspect more strongly that there are some writing flaws and the author just likes to insert twisted stuff for fun. There are a fair number of killers with sick minds and the series doesn't really deal with these issues that significantly.
uc pseudonym

Postby Aileen Kailum » Wed Dec 12, 2007 5:26 pm

Penguin Brothers vol. 5

I wish this would get licensed...
Need some excitement and meaning to brighten your bleak existence? Enter the CAA Monthly Manga contest!
(Warning: side affects may/will include irritability, the cramping of hands, frustration, and/or loss of sleep.)

Close only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades
Aileen Kailum

Postby minakichan » Wed Dec 12, 2007 10:16 pm

Luck Stealer!

I really loved the one-shot, so I'm ecstatic it's getting serialized. Yay for good clean (not so clean) assassins and corporate conspiracies!
ImageImage
minakichan

Postby kryptech » Thu Dec 13, 2007 6:14 am

Battle Angel Alita: Last Order vol 1
Interesting but pretty gory (and it would be nice if Alita would put on a sweater or something). I'll probably check out vol 2 and make a decision from there.
"Everybody's weird in their own special way." - P.V.
"Never refuse a breath mint." - my dad
"The UAC is making safer worlds through superior firepower." - Doom 3
"This world is a great sculptor's shop. We are the statues and there is a rumour going round the shop that some of us are some day going to come to life." - C.S. Lewis, Mere Christianity

"I'm too cool to scroll. -- MOES."
kryptech

Postby uc pseudonym » Thu Dec 13, 2007 2:06 pm

minakichan wrote:Luck Stealer!

I really loved the one-shot, so I'm ecstatic it's getting serialized. Yay for good clean (not so clean) assassins and corporate conspiracies!

Yes, there's something about this series that it found promising. The central concept is somewhat interesting (I hope they play more with luck as a quantifiable entity) and I like the main character as a single father. It will have to outgrow this premise to keep me as a reader, but I have high hopes.
uc pseudonym

Previous Next

Return to Manga and Manga Reviews