Any movies speakin to you lately?

TV, Movies, Sports...you can find it all in here.

Any movies speakin to you lately?

Postby Danderson » Thu Oct 25, 2007 6:47 pm

Today I watched Groundhog Day for the first time as an assignment for a class. I thought it was pretty funny, but what I loved about it is the guy realised that living the same day over and over for himself is not worth livin. Instead He discovered helping ppl is how we are truly supposed to live, even if we have to repeat the same day over and over again.....I was totally surprised at the smile this movie brought on my face as well as the message it spoke to me......

Have any of you watched a movie recently or is there a movie you've watched that has a central message that just sticks out to you like mudd?
Danderson

Postby Godly Paladin » Thu Oct 25, 2007 7:13 pm

Blade Runner.
Godly Paladin

Postby Blitzkrieg1701 » Thu Oct 25, 2007 10:40 pm

Wow. Really?
Image Image

[font="Book Antiqua"][color="Purple"]For the love of Christ controls us, having concluded this: that one died for all, therefore all died; and he that died for all, so that they who live might no longer live for themselves, but for Him who died and rose again on their behalf. II Corinthians 5:14-15[/color][/font]
Blitzkrieg1701

Location: Washington, DC (when I'm not in an alternate universe)

Postby bigsleepj » Fri Oct 26, 2007 8:58 pm

Akira Kurosawa's Ikiru is forever haunting me, and shall forever speak to me about the brevity of life, existential despair and how good deeds can help make life for others bearable and bettter.
Unwise Toasting Sermon

The Sweet Smell of CAA
The Avatar Christian Ronin designed for me
An Avatar KhakiBlue gave to me
The avatar Termyt made for me

KhakiBlueSocks wrote:"I'm going to make you a prayer request you can't refuse..." Cue the violins. :lol:

Current Avatar by SirThinks2much - thank you very much! :thumb::)
bigsleepj

Postby Godly Paladin » Fri Oct 26, 2007 9:07 pm

Yes, I'm serious. That line at the end, "It's too bad she won't live, but then again - who does?" is telling me the same thing that Ikiru is telling Bigsleepj. Life is short, and there are few who experience what it truly means to live on this earth.
Godly Paladin

Postby bigsleepj » Fri Oct 26, 2007 9:27 pm

Blade Runner is a good, complex movie (if you stay clear of the original 1982 theatrical releases) that I'd like to own on DVD someday. But Ikiru is better and more focused (Blade Runner is more genre-related and those elements, excellent as they are, can be distracting). I suggest you try and find and watch Ikiru - it's one of the most moving film experiences you'll most likely have.
Unwise Toasting Sermon

The Sweet Smell of CAA

KhakiBlueSocks wrote:"I'm going to make you a prayer request you can't refuse..." Cue the violins. :lol:

bigsleepj

Postby AsianBlossom » Sat Oct 27, 2007 4:13 am

I've seen Groundhog Day before! Did you know that the voice of Starfire, Hynden Walch, is actually in that movie? She plays a small role, someone named Debbie who's supposed to get married later that day. It's cool.

Whisper of the Heart kind of spoke to me...what I got out of it was to keep at it with my writing; I won't get anywhere if I don't work at it.
RESPECT THE UNBORN AND CHOOSE LIFE...your mother did.

"Do not underestimate the power of the muffin! The muffin will smite all those who question it! The muffin will crush all nay-sayers! He who controls the muffin shall control the entire world!" -Taishi, Comic Party English Dub
AsianBlossom

Postby Godly Paladin » Sat Oct 27, 2007 6:02 am

I'll get it from Netflix, Bigsleep.

Are you going to buy/see the Blade Runner Final Cut in a week or two?
Godly Paladin

Postby Scarecrow » Sat Oct 27, 2007 9:38 am

Meh, movies don't really speak to me unless I use the box as a puppet and provide the voice but the closest I guess to what you're getting at would be The Last Unicorn. Just the whole theme of being the last of something or the only one thats like this and feeling alone even though you're really not. Plus its such a beautifully animated cartoon xD
"Take me down, shake me out. Give me a brain, that I might know You better"
Scarecrow

Postby uc pseudonym » Sat Oct 27, 2007 4:41 pm

I'm not a movie person, but watching "Earth" for class was somewhat interesting. It is a film about the partition of India in 1947 and is directed by Deepa Mehta. Unlike many indie films, this one felt powerful to me because it dealt with serious issues of violence.
uc pseudonym

Postby Blitzkrieg1701 » Sat Oct 27, 2007 6:11 pm

I just saw Carnival of Souls last night and I couldn't help reflecting on the warped, yet common, impression of Christianity that it presented.
Image Image

[font="Book Antiqua"][color="Purple"]For the love of Christ controls us, having concluded this: that one died for all, therefore all died; and he that died for all, so that they who live might no longer live for themselves, but for Him who died and rose again on their behalf. II Corinthians 5:14-15[/color][/font]
Blitzkrieg1701

Location: Washington, DC (when I'm not in an alternate universe)

Postby bigsleepj » Sat Oct 27, 2007 9:54 pm

Godly Paladin wrote:I'll get it from Netflix, Bigsleep.

Are you going to buy/see the Blade Runner Final Cut in a week or two?

Just be careful. Ikiru's first 90 minutes can be incredibly depressing in a 'chew-your-pulse-off' way, but the next 40 minutes (yes, its a LONG movie) turns the entire movie on its head and makes the movie more uplifting.

As for Blade Runner, I'm hoping to see the Final Cut, but I have no idea when it will be released here and whether or not I'll be able to afford it. But I am looking forward to it.
Unwise Toasting Sermon

The Sweet Smell of CAA

bigsleepj

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Sun Nov 04, 2007 6:29 am

"Lately"? Well, the only one I can think of that I've seen lately is Bridge to Terabithia. That movie had exactly the same effect on me as the book did three years ago. It shows very vividly how important one person can be in changing your life forever, and how you should treasure your imagination because of all the things it can teach you. I love both the book and the movie.
You can find out things about the past that you never knew. And from what you've learned, you may see some things differently in the present. You're the one that changes. Not the past.
- Ellone, Final Fantasy VIII

"There's a difference between maliciously offending somebody - on purpose - and somebody being offended by...truth. If you're offended by the truth, that's your problem. I have no obligation to not offend you if I'm speaking the truth. The truth is supposed to offend you; that's how you know you don't got it."
- Brad Stine
the_wolfs_howl

Postby Tommy » Sun Nov 04, 2007 5:31 pm

"Happy Feet".
Such beautiful propaganda hidden with a children's movie.

Moral of the Story: Get your minds of how bad abortion is. Save the penguins.
FKA Tom Dincht

Check out my band if you've got the time.
http://encompass1.bandcamp.com/
Tommy

Postby Kairi » Fri Nov 09, 2007 2:11 pm

This is going to sound corny, but... I was watching "Kiki's Delivery Service" yesterday, and it made me think about how happy and proud I am to be a Christian. xD The main character is so sweet and has really good morals and values. She stands out among all of the other characters for those very reasons, and I think that's the way it should be for Christians. It was just nice to watch a movie that glorified that kind of behavior, for a change.
Kairi

Postby KhakiBlueSocks » Sat Nov 10, 2007 1:25 am

[font="Trebuchet MS"][SIZE="4"][color="RoyalBlue"]You know, Star Trek: First Contact spoke to me today...

Never tell Zephram Cochrane about "The Statue".[/color][/SIZE][/font]
Joshua: Hebrew -The LORD is Salvation

" wrote:RustyClaymore 11:27 - Ah yes, Socks is the single raindrop responsible for the flood. XD

Check out my new anime review blog, "The Cajun Samurai"

http://thecajunsamurai.wordpress.com/
KhakiBlueSocks

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Tue Nov 13, 2007 2:11 am

Artificial Intelligence/A.I.

This movie speaks in the simple, silent sort of way that I love about the nature of the soul, the value of human life, and the trusting nature of children. Only Haley Joel Osment would have been able to pull off something like this.
You can find out things about the past that you never knew. And from what you've learned, you may see some things differently in the present. You're the one that changes. Not the past.

"There's a difference between maliciously offending somebody - on purpose - and somebody being offended by...truth. If you're offended by the truth, that's your problem. I have no obligation to not offend you if I'm speaking the truth. The truth is supposed to offend you; that's how you know you don't got it."
- Brad Stine
the_wolfs_howl

Postby meboeck » Tue Nov 13, 2007 7:15 am

This wasn't recently, but Stranger Than Fiction really spoke to me. It has a lot to do with what it really means to live your life and seeing the importance in seeming insignificant moments.
*insert poem, quote, or witty comment here*

"If it doesn't fit, you must edIT! -- [color=#cc3322]MOES."
[/color]
meboeck

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Tue Nov 13, 2007 9:42 pm

Losing Isaiah. I liked it because of its message that racial differences have no bearing on the love of a mother for her child. And it's ironic that the whites were prejudiced against in this case, because it was a black child.

- Brad Stine
the_wolfs_howl

Postby That Dude » Thu Nov 15, 2007 9:18 am

I watched the "Nativity Story" the other day and it showed me that there can be excellence in "Christian" movies. I was also impressed by the historical accuracy of it, it may have downplayed some spiritual stuff but definitely the most historically accurate movie about Jesus that I've seen.

Another movie that spoke to me was "Tears Of The Sun" just reminded me that we shouldn't be living just for ourselves. We need to be self sacrificing.
I am convinced that many men who preach the gospel and love the Lord are really misunderstood. People make a “profession,â€
That Dude

Return to General Entertainment