Colbert for President in 08. Yes, it's true.

TV, Movies, Sports...you can find it all in here.

Colbert for President in 08. Yes, it's true.

Postby Cognitive Gear » Wed Oct 17, 2007 6:35 pm

*Quick Note*

Please do not turn this into a political thread. It is not intended to be. Please allow us to have a tame conversation about a humorous event.

Yes, it is true.

Colbert wrote:"After nearly 15 minutes of soul-searching, I have heard the call….I am hereby declaring that I will enter the presidential primary in my native South Carolina, running as a favorite son," Colbert said on his show Tuesday night. "I defy any other candidate to pander more to the people of South Carolina — those beautiful, beautiful people."

[quote="CNN Article"]Colbert, author of the recently released “I Am America (And So Can You!),â€
[font="Tahoma"][SIZE="2"]"It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things."

-Terry Pratchett[/SIZE][/font]
Cognitive Gear

Postby ADXC » Wed Oct 17, 2007 7:24 pm

Id vote for him! Colbert is awesome!
ADXC

Postby Radical Dreamer » Wed Oct 17, 2007 7:25 pm

I just heard about this a few minutes ago, actually. XD

Suddenly, living in South Carolina's not such a a bad thing. XD
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby mechana2015 » Wed Oct 17, 2007 7:34 pm

I wish i lived in south carolina...

My Deviantart
"MOES. I can has Sane Sig now?"
mechana2015

Postby Danderson » Wed Oct 17, 2007 7:42 pm

I really wonder if he's actually serious about this.....I mean, yeah, he's quite amazing as a comedic parody reporter, but will he be serious enough to deal with the issues that are laid at the feet of whoevers in office?

Please....no flame war start........
Danderson

Postby Ingemar » Wed Oct 17, 2007 8:00 pm

Ron Paul '08.
Job 7:16

I loathe my life; I would not live forever. Let me alone, for my days are but a breath.
Ingemar

Postby mitsuki lover » Thu Oct 18, 2007 11:44 am

Pat Paulsen did the same schtick in the '70s.Maybe Colbert was inspired by him?
mitsuki lover

Postby Nate » Thu Oct 18, 2007 12:50 pm

Danderson wrote:I really wonder if he's actually serious about this.....I mean, yeah, he's quite amazing as a comedic parody reporter, but will he be serious enough to deal with the issues that are laid at the feet of whoevers in office?

He's probably not serious, but I wish he was. At any rate, he can't possibly do a worse job than the current administration is doing. Remember, celebrities running for office is not a new thing. Remember that Ronald Reagan was an actor before he became President. Heck, Ulysses S. Grant got elected as President simply because he was a Civil War general. Celebrities running for office has always been a part of American politics, sometimes good, and sometimes bad, but I think Colbert is good enough that he'd be one of the better ones.

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby uc pseudonym » Thu Oct 18, 2007 2:20 pm

I was a bit disappointed by his announcement; in my opinion he could have done a much funnier job. Still, I wonder just how many votes he will get. After all, Mickey Mouse receives some votes every year.

Actually, part of me wants to vote for him. I live in Kansas; my vote makes no difference whatsoever to the electoral college.
uc pseudonym

Postby Nate » Thu Oct 18, 2007 8:28 pm

uc pseudonym wrote:I was a bit disappointed by his announcement]
Unless memory fails me, I do believe Mickey Mouse is still the number one write-in candidate every Presidential election.
Actually, part of me wants to vote for him. I live in Kansas; my vote makes no difference whatsoever to the electoral college.

Do you mean that as in Kansas only has three electoral college votes? Or does Kansas do some sort of weird "vote-splitting" thing? I do remember that the electoral college is not required by law to vote for the same candidate its constituents do, but I'm still not quite sure what you meant by that. Maybe I'm just tired...

Nate

Postby minutz3 » Fri Oct 19, 2007 5:40 am

Well, I would say that Brownback is the only alternative for christians.
He's the only one who has a history of saying yes to life, according to STLtoday.
minutz3

Postby minutz3 » Fri Oct 19, 2007 5:43 am

Well, I'd say that Brownback is the only choice for Christians.
He's the only one who has said yes to life all the time, according to STLtoday
minutz3

Postby termyt » Fri Oct 19, 2007 5:59 am

uc pseudonym wrote:I was a bit disappointed by his announcement; in my opinion he could have done a much funnier job. Still, I wonder just how many votes he will get. After all, Mickey Mouse receives some votes every year.

I've felt that about just about everything he's done. He's almost, but not quite funny. I'm probably too old to get his style of psuedo-political psuedo-commedy. Thankfully, Bill O'Reilly is around to help help him fill in the gaps on slow nights.
[color="Red"]Please visit Love146.org[/color]
A member of the Society of Hatted Members
If your pedantic about grammar, its unlikely that you'll copy and paste this into your sig, to.
termyt

Postby minutz3 » Fri Oct 19, 2007 6:06 am

I'd vote for Brownback if I lived in the states.
He seems to be the most pro-life guy, and has a history of voting for life, according to STLtoday.
minutz3

Postby mitsuki lover » Fri Oct 19, 2007 11:44 am

In the case of Paulsen,for the first couple times he did it he was more or less joking.Then he got serious about it.I think he ran as either an Independent or Republican at first and then switched to a Democrat.
mitsuki lover

Postby uc pseudonym » Fri Oct 19, 2007 2:09 pm

minutz3, stating your opinion may be fine, but don't cross the line into politics. Also, proving you aren't a bot would be good. In any case, Brownback is almost certain dropping out.

Nate wrote:Unless memory fails me, I do believe Mickey Mouse is still the number one write-in candidate every Presidential election.

Really now. I imagine Colbert will give him a run for his money.

Nate wrote:Do you mean that as in Kansas only has three electoral college votes? Or does Kansas do some sort of weird "vote-splitting" thing? I do remember that the electoral college is not required by law to vote for the same candidate its constituents do, but I'm still not quite sure what you meant by that. Maybe I'm just tired...

Kansas is overwhelmingly Republican, so the GOP candidate can just assume they'll get those three votes.

termyt wrote:I've felt that about just about everything he's done. He's almost, but not quite funny. I'm probably too old to get his style of psuedo-political psuedo-commedy. Thankfully, Bill O'Reilly is around to help help him fill in the gaps on slow nights.

We differ there. For the most part I think Colbert is hilarious, but I was disappointed by the announcement of his mock-bid for presidency. Also, I may be too young to get your sense of humor, but I really don't understand the comment about Bill O'Reilly. Their views and programs are like night and day.
uc pseudonym

Postby ADXC » Fri Oct 19, 2007 8:56 pm

As a political, news reporter he is the funniest Ive seen. Actually the only one Ive seen, but he is the funniest person who actually does news. Man he's hillarious sometimes. Like recently he did a segment where at the end of the show and he was accepting appologies by everyone on a phone line. Well this line was also a janitorial supplies phone line. So after a few phone calls asking for Colbert's forgiveness, one guy asks for various janitorial supplies. It was it was really funny. But I keep forgeting to watch him, so I'll try to watch him more.

And he's running both as a democrat and republican? Oh this is because he wants to get more votes right?
ADXC

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Fri Oct 19, 2007 10:41 pm

uc pseudonym wrote:We differ there. For the most part I think Colbert is hilarious, but I was disappointed by the announcement of his mock-bid for presidency. Also, I may be too young to get your sense of humor, but I really don't understand the comment about Bill O'Reilly. Their views and programs are like night and day.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJvY_RftA4I

I had to do it. XD
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby Nate » Sat Oct 20, 2007 10:48 am

Bill O'Reilly scares me more than he amuses me. Probably because I think O'Reilly is actually serious about the stuff he says, whereas with Colbert we all know it's an act.

Nate

Postby mitsuki lover » Sat Oct 20, 2007 3:11 pm

Colbert is now officially in trouble.I guess they want to make sure he's serious about running.Looks like the elections folk lost their sense of humor after Paulsen ran in the '70s.

The problem with O'Reilly is that he takes himself overly seriously.
mitsuki lover

Postby uc pseudonym » Sat Oct 20, 2007 6:21 pm

minutz3 wrote:Isn't this subject all political?
If politics isn't allowed, then this whole thread shouldn't be "allowed".. -_-

Sorry, I realize that was a bit vague. In my defense, it was alluding to the rules which you theoretically read upon joining the site. Regardless, discussion of politics is extremely limited and support of a candidate toes the line. If it wasn't Brownback I would probably have clipped your links. But to clarify further:

minutz3 wrote:Well, I'm just stating the facts, that Brownback is the only one running for President that has a history of being pro-life :-P

Calling Brownback "pro-life" is arguably factual, though the definition of that term is not clear cut. But saying Brownback is the only alternative for Christians is a far cry from a fact.

minutz3 wrote:Also, if you're worried that I'd be a bot, you should read my introduction ]
I wouldn't put it past a bot to make an introduction thread, though most don't go to that effort. What I was really asking was for you to respond to what I said directly, which you have kindly done.

Mr. SmartyPants wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJvY_RftA4I

I had to do it. XD

Back when it happened I watched the interview on that exact YouTube address, actually.
uc pseudonym

Postby Nate » Sat Oct 20, 2007 7:43 pm

mitsuki lover wrote:Colbert is now officially in trouble.I guess they want to make sure he's serious about running.Looks like the elections folk lost their sense of humor after Paulsen ran in the '70s.

I don't think it's that they lost their sense of humor. Apparently it has something to do with FEC rules and the fact that he's a TV show host and stuff about corporate campaign contributions. If Colbert is serious, then he could be in violation of the FEC laws.

I think Fred Thompson is rumored to have the same problems, since he was on Law & Order.

Nate

Postby mitsuki lover » Sun Oct 21, 2007 1:39 pm

Except that he quit the series before he announced.The thing with that is that they probably can't air any of the episodes Thompson's character is on because of the Fair And Balance rules.
mitsuki lover

No it is not true

Postby Jaltus-bot » Sun Oct 21, 2007 4:24 pm

As the resident fangirl, I will add my two or three cents here. If I get too boring, feel free to stop reading.

Stephen Colbert is highly unlikely to be running for president. Associated Press did an article asking if he can enter the SC primary. "Democratic Party rules require a candidate to be deemed a viable contender to gain access to the ballot for the tentatively scheduled Jan. 26 primary. Republicans won't let a candidate alter his application, which Colbert apparently did on his TV show when he struck out part of a statement saying he would not violate election law." Basically, both of these may be issues for Stephen if he is serious.

He would have to run in more than just SC: no presidential candidate has won based on one single state. According to the Washington Post, Stephen is a Democrat, which I imagine could pose some difficulties in winning the Republican nomination. According to this same article, it has become cliche for politicians to launch their campaign on late night TV. Stephen also has a book coming out with perfect timing to mimic this stunt and make use of his character to boost book sales. Stephen has no reasonable platform presented on which to campaign and he is smart enough to know it.

By his own admission, Stephen was not even interested in politics until he did The Daily Show. He has said many times how happy and content he is where he is.

Lastly, people may be taking his joke too seriously, but it is his style of comedy to try to involve viewers and do stunts. He invited people to wave stuff over the boarder to make the eagle named after him migrate south, I think from Canada. He had people try to help get a bridge in Hungary named after him. His show is dedicated to "the heroes. And who are the heroes? The people who watch this show." If his website, colbert08.org, doesn't convince you by that arguement, the quality should.

Sorry folks, his campaign goes south after SC.
When I feel blue, I start breathing again.

Asdvadz hedut ullah! (W. Armenian, "May God bless you!")

It's cosplay, get used to it.

"A hero need not speak. For when he is gone, the world will speak for him."

"One of the nice things about diseases of the brain is they tend to slip your mind." Colbert
Jaltus-bot

Postby uc pseudonym » Sun Oct 21, 2007 4:31 pm

I don't understand what you're trying to say. His bid for presidency is a joke like everything else on the show, which is exactly why he is running only in South Carolina and as a member of both parties. We just find the joke funny.

Nate wrote:Apparently it has something to do with FEC rules and the fact that he's a TV show host and stuff about corporate campaign contributions. If Colbert is serious, then he could be in violation of the FEC laws.

I've been wondering about that. The write-in campaign is the only one that really matters, though.
uc pseudonym

Postby Jaltus-bot » Sun Oct 21, 2007 5:28 pm

uc pseudonym wrote:I don't understand what you're trying to say. His bid for presidency is a joke like everything else on the show, which is exactly why he is running only in South Carolina and as a member of both parties. We just find the joke funny.
Ah, ok. I have run into some discussion by people who were not sure how much that was a joke..

"One of the nice things about diseases of the brain is they tend to slip your mind." Colbert
Jaltus-bot

Postby mitsuki lover » Mon Oct 22, 2007 12:46 pm

There are a lot of people who think Ron Paul's campaign is a joke too.
mitsuki lover

Postby Jaltus-bot » Mon Oct 22, 2007 7:59 pm

mitsuki lover wrote:There are a lot of people who think Ron Paul's campaign is a joke too.

He has little funding and has attempted innovative campaign techniques to save money.

~Also pro Ron Paul.

Jaltus-bot

Return to General Entertainment