Live Action Robotech

TV, Movies, Sports...you can find it all in here.

Live Action Robotech

Postby ashfire » Sat Sep 08, 2007 5:53 pm

I just read that there will be a live action Robotech and Toby Maguire will star in it plus be part of its production.
Also Fox based Regency as gotten the rights to Voltron.
ashfire

Postby ilikegir33 » Sun Sep 09, 2007 10:21 am

Whoa. A live action Robotech is awesome. But Regency got Voltron? They did Date Movie and Epic Movie, both terrible bombs. Hopefully Voltron will do better than that.
:dizzy: [color="Orange"]People are so crazy these days. If you are one of those crazy ppl, then copy this into your sig![/color]:dizzy:
MOES. "Take off every sig for great justice"
@)}~`,~ Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks To All The CAA Moderators.
What I'll be reviewing in the future:
SoulTaker (soon to start)
Whoever loves discipline loves knowledge, but he who hates correction is stupid. Proverbs 12:1
ilikegir33

Postby Rocketshipper » Sun Sep 09, 2007 11:33 am

NOOOOOOO!!! *dies*.

It should be Macross, darn it! Not Robotech!!!! MACROSS! I know, I know. Robotech was a huge hit and everyone remembers it fondly and all that jazz, but it still depresses me that a Macekred version of three animes (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Macekre) has eclipsed the original versions for most in the US. I wonder if Maguire has even seen the original versions.
Jessie and James, together forever!

AAML forever!

Colorado is EVIL!! Save me!!

Eternal Defender of Tracey Sketchit. If you are a Brock lover, beware ^_^

"Like the moon over
the day, my genius and brawn
are lost on these fools"-Bowser, Super Mario RPG

Confused about the meaning of the screen name??

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/RocketShipping

Go here and be enlightened ^_^

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHg5SJYRHA0

Click the above link...I dare you.

http://community.livejournal.com/ship_manifesto/87185.html

The best essay on Junzumi shipping ever ^^.

http://myanimelist.net/profile/Rocketshipper
Rocketshipper

Postby SolidÃ…rmor » Sun Sep 09, 2007 12:09 pm

ashfire wrote:I just read that there will be a live action Robotech and Toby Maguire will star in it plus be part of its production.
Also Fox based Regency as gotten the rights to Voltron.

Can you link the source of this "rumor"? Believe me those guys on the Official Roboech forum are STICKLERS for stuff like this. Heck the thread on wether a live action movie should be done gets pretty nasty. :)
Bless me indeed
Open wide my horizons to share your name
Bless me indeed
Let your hand keep me
from harm and pain
Bless me
Bless me
SolidÃ…rmor

Postby MasterDias » Sun Sep 09, 2007 2:11 pm

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2007-09-07/warner-tobey-maguire-acquire-robotech-film-rights

So, yeah, it's legit. Well, I think it's probably easier to make a good movie off of this than it is off of Dragon Ball Z, but I hope whatever director they hire knows what he's doing.
-----------------------------------------
"Always seek to do good to one another and to all."
1 Thessalonians 5:15

"Every story must have an ending." - Auron - Final Fantasy X

"A small stone may make a ripple at first, but someday it will be a wave." - Wiegraf - Final Fantasy Tactics
MasterDias

Postby ashfire » Sun Sep 09, 2007 2:50 pm

SolidÃ…rmor wrote:Can you link the source of this "rumor"? Believe me those guys on the Official Roboech forum are STICKLERS for stuff like this. Heck the thread on wether a live action movie should be done gets pretty nasty. :)

Would you believe it was on Yahoo entertainment news where I spotted it first last night.
ashfire

Postby Rocketshipper » Sun Sep 09, 2007 6:06 pm

Dark Horizons also had a news blip about it.

AAML forever!

"Like the moon over

Rocketshipper

Postby Blitzkrieg1701 » Mon Sep 10, 2007 9:28 am

I think we should keep in mind that people buy up the film rights to things that don't actually get made ALL THE TIME. Even if this isn't one of those unlucky properties, it could still be a very long time before we see anything, good or bad.
Image Image

[font="Book Antiqua"][color="Purple"]For the love of Christ controls us, having concluded this: that one died for all, therefore all died; and he that died for all, so that they who live might no longer live for themselves, but for Him who died and rose again on their behalf. II Corinthians 5:14-15[/color][/font]
Blitzkrieg1701

Location: Washington, DC (when I'm not in an alternate universe)

Postby creed4 » Mon Sep 10, 2007 9:44 am

It could be good
Tis No Fool to lose what he can not keep to gain what he can never lose.
What does it profit a man to gain the World yet lose his soul.
Choose Life that you Might live.
creed4

Postby Godly Paladin » Mon Sep 10, 2007 9:54 am

I'll watch this, regardless of reviews.
Godly Paladin

Postby termyt » Mon Sep 10, 2007 1:06 pm

Rocketshipper wrote:NOOOOOOO!!! *dies*.

It should be Macross, darn it! Not Robotech!!!! MACROSS! I know, I know. Robotech was a huge hit and everyone remembers it fondly and all that jazz, but it still depresses me that a Macekred version of three animes (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Macekre) has eclipsed the original versions for most in the US. I wonder if Maguire has even seen the original versions.

The first Robotech Saga is very close to Macross. There's only a few changes that probably will be of even less importance to a movie, so save your consternation for the sequel when the murder Southern Cross :thumb:
[color="Red"]Please visit Love146.org[/color]
A member of the Society of Hatted Members
If your pedantic about grammar, its unlikely that you'll copy and paste this into your sig, to.
termyt

Postby Rocketshipper » Tue Sep 11, 2007 8:41 pm

^ Sadly, that's not too much of a consolation for me. We'd still be stuck with the english names, and the change they made with "protoculture", and a few possible character deaths that weren't in the original.

And it will still be called Robotech -_-. :rant: And that really gets to the main point of why I don't like this, or Robotech in general. Now I do like dubs, and am sometimes a very forgiving person with changes (for example: I like the Sailor Moon dub, even the Dic episodes), but for me, Robotech crosses a line. Taking three shows and stringing them together with a new plot, is IMO, worse than even something like the One Piece dub. Regardless of if the "Macross saga" was the least edited of the three shows; it's the principle of the thing. As far as I'm concerned, "Robotech" isn't a real show, it's just a glorified fanfic that some guys wrote to try and connect these unrelated shows. And sometimes I'm a little annoyed with the fandom, and things like this movie, and that "Shadow Chronicles" thing, because they seem to give legitimacy to a show that's not really a show, but just something some american guys made up. I mean, if an anime company did the same thing again today, fans would probably destroy them, so why does "Robotech" get an exemption? (is it just nostolgia?)

And that's all.

AAML forever!

"Like the moon over

Rocketshipper

Postby SolidÃ…rmor » Tue Sep 11, 2007 10:05 pm

Rocketshipper wrote:^ Sadly, that's not too much of a consolation for me. We'd still be stuck with the english names, and the change they made with "protoculture", and a few possible character deaths that weren't in the original.

And it will still be called Robotech -_-. :rant: And that really gets to the main point of why I don't like this, or Robotech in general. Now I do like dubs, and am sometimes a very forgiving person with changes (for example: I like the Sailor Moon dub, even the Dic episodes), but for me, Robotech crosses a line. Taking three shows and stringing them together with a new plot, is IMO, worse than even something like the One Piece dub. Regardless of if the "Macross saga" was the least edited of the three shows; it's the principle of the thing. As far as I'm concerned, "Robotech" isn't a real show, it's just a glorified fanfic that some guys wrote to try and connect these unrelated shows. And sometimes I'm a little annoyed with the fandom, and things like this movie, and that "Shadow Chronicles" thing, because they seem to give legitimacy to a show that's not really a show, but just something some american guys made up. I mean, if an anime company did the same thing again today, fans would probably destroy them, so why does "Robotech" get an exemption? (is it just nostolgia?)

And that's all.

Plays the world's most smallest violin for you. You know we wouldn't have "anime" today if it wasn't for Robotech. Plus, the only reason it was mixed together with the other 2 series was to make an actual syndicated cartoon, back in the day. Plus, would you have even seen Macross if you didn't see Robotech first? If anything you or all of us in general wouldn't have even known what the heck Macross was if it wasn't for that "one guy who decided to piece this stuff together" as you put it.

Something like Macross back then had to be edited to be put on tv, though Harmony Gold did a good job leaving to life and death struggles still in tact.

The only reason Robotech gets any kind of "exception" as you put it, is because it was the only thing we had back then that was different. Other than StarBlazers, or Battle of the Planets. But even those 2 kinda stretched the boundaries for "kids" entertainment. Jeez, stop bashing the greats like RT and start bashing the crap that's out today.
Bless me indeed
Bless me indeed
Let your hand keep me
from harm and pain
Bless me
Bless me
SolidÃ…rmor

Postby EricTheFred » Wed Sep 12, 2007 6:32 am

The association of the three "Robotech" shows to each other was actually the work of the original Japanese creators. All of these shows, plus at least one more that I know of ("Orguss") originally had "Super Dimension" stuck to the front of their names to associate them with each other, and used similar character and technology designs, and similar universes, but were supposedly happening in alternate dimensions (Orguss actually involved many of them into one show.) That was the excuse, anyway. In reality, it was either a way to save on animation costs, or an attempt at cross-marketing for the merchandise, but this action is what made it possible for three of the shows to be 'glued together' in the first place.

At any rate, unlike Gatchaman and Yamoto ( aka BOTP and Star Blazers), the stories were actually largely left intact in Robotech. I can tell you right now, we who were Anime fans back in the day were ecstatic. BOTP and Star Blazers were both absolutely slaughtered, while Robotech was allowed to stand on its own, with little alteration.

One thing younger people are not going to understand is why they couldn't just bring these to the US without messing with them. Renaming characters and such was a necessity back then, because Japan still didn't have such a good image in this country. I'm not talking about WWII, I'm talking about Godzilla. Underscoring the Japanese character of the story would have meant associating themselves with movies and TV shows like Mothra and Ultraman... things which, frankly, had been so badly dubbed that they were comedic. Early Japanese manufactured goods had a reputation for low quality as well, somewhat like China is currently getting tagged with. "Made in Japan" was not a seal of approval in my youth.

But in my mind, it wasn't Robotech that turned this image around, it was Toyota. The cars and electronics coming in from Japan, once they were recognized as world leaders, raised the image of everything else Japanese in this country, including Anime.
May the Lord bless you and keep you.
May He cause His face to shine upon you.
May He lift up His countenance and grant you peace.

Maokun: Ninjas or Pirates? (Vikings are not a valid answer, sorry)

EricTheFred: Vikings are always a valid answer.

Feel free to visit My Writing.com Portfolio

Largo: "Well Ed, good to see ya. Guess I gotta beat the crap out of you now."

Jamie Hyneman: "It's just another lovely day at the bomb range. Birds are singing, rabbits are hopping about, and soon there's going to be a big explosion."
EricTheFred

Postby creed4 » Wed Sep 12, 2007 9:24 am

I think of Robotech as a separate story as not as a fanfic yes for natsia(sp), but It was one of my first exposures to Anime in the eighties.
creed4

Postby Rocketshipper » Wed Sep 12, 2007 11:49 am

Accepting the historical signifigance of a show in furthering the cause of anime, and liking it are two different things; they don't have to go together. I know Robotech had a big impact. But I don't like Robotech and I don't watch it. And it is a double standard, whether anyone wants to admit it or not. If a company did today what Harmony Gold (is that right?) did then, it's likely that most fans would revolt.

And I'm not saying that you guys have to stop liking Robotech, I'm just saying why I don't like it or this movie possibility, and why I can't consider it a real *legit* anime series (since it was an American creation, using 3 series as building blocks)

What Eric says is new information for me though. So would it be safe to say that Macross, Mospeade, and Southern Cross are sort of like "the Gundam universe", different self contained stories and characters but a similar technology and style?

AAML forever!

"Like the moon over

Rocketshipper

Postby mitsuki lover » Wed Sep 12, 2007 12:05 pm

For me the Rick/Minmei storyline is the key to Robotech so finding the actors to play them would be the essential part of casting for the movie.
mitsuki lover

Postby ashfire » Wed Sep 12, 2007 2:29 pm

mitsuki lover wrote:For me the Rick/Minmei storyline is the key to Robotech so finding the actors to play them would be the essential part of casting for the movie.

I was wondering if the part of Rick Hunter is the one Tobey Maquire is going for.
ashfire

Postby SolidÃ…rmor » Wed Sep 12, 2007 4:39 pm

Rocketshipper wrote:What Eric says is new information for me though. So would it be safe to say that Macross, Mospeade, and Southern Cross are sort of like "the Gundam universe", different self contained stories and characters but a similar technology and style?

Yes, and no one is saying that you can't like it or not, only that your generalizing your opinion to the general public. You don't know what fans of today would do if someone did this again. And not just Macross/Robotech. Besides the fact that Harmony Gold would not have been able to air the show here int he states if it didn't meet a "length" requirement to syndicate it. So what Harmony Gold did was take 3 shows that were similar had the same type of story and artwork and themes and put them together (So what?). Plus, you add to that-that all 3 shows separately were not doing so well in Japan by themselves. Now-a-days an average anime series last for about 30 plus episodes a season. Take FMA, Naruto, Bleach...they're all what I would deem TOO long...jeez what ever happened to the old OVA?
Bless me indeed
Bless me indeed
Let your hand keep me
from harm and pain
Bless me
Bless me
SolidÃ…rmor

Postby ShiroiHikari » Wed Sep 12, 2007 4:53 pm

I can certainly appreciate the fact that nostalgia is a powerful force, and I can respect what Robotech did for anime in the US, but...that doesn't mean I have to like it or be excited about this movie. XD;
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby Rocketshipper » Wed Sep 12, 2007 8:36 pm

all 3 shows separately were not doing so well in Japan by themselves.

I don't know about the other two, but Macross was suscessful enough that the writers increased it's lenght from the original planned 26 episodes. And of course it spawned all those other series and movies.

I don't know, I can't imagine any fans today accepting another "robotech" style adaption, just judging by how badly most people react to 4kids dubs and stuff like that. Some fans can't even stand it when they translate sound effects in manga, or the credit sequences of anime ^^;.

AAML forever!

"Like the moon over

Rocketshipper

Postby Nate » Wed Sep 12, 2007 9:52 pm

Rocketshipper wrote:[color="Black"]I don't know about the other two, but Macross was suscessful enough that the writers increased it's lenght from the original planned 26 episodes. And of course it spawned all those other series and movies.[/color]

What Rocketshipper said. There's no way they would have made Do You Remember Love?, Macross Plus, Macross 7, Macross Zero...if the series had done poorly in Japan. ALSO consider that the anime caused Mari Iijima (the Japanese voice of Minmay) to become HUGELY popular.

So your claim
[color="Black"]were not doing so well in Japan by themselves[/color]

is false--at least for Macross. I can't speak for the other two series.
[color="Black"]You don't know what fans of today would do if someone did this again.[/color]

[color="Black"]I don't know, I can't imagine any fans today accepting another "robotech" style adaption, just judging by how badly most people react to 4kids dubs and stuff like that. Some fans can't even stand it when they translate sound effects in manga, or the credit sequences of anime ^^]

Rocketshipper said it better than I could have. Heck, some anime fans even complain if a manga is changed from its original reading direction, and you think that anime fans wouldn't complain? Remember the huge stink about Viz changing Zoro's name to "Zolo" to fit with the 4Kids dub?

Sailor Moon, Robotech...this was all we had in the 80s, yes, but there's no excuse for doing that kind of stuff now. Why do you think fans raged and fumed about the original dub of One Piece? No, the fact is anime fans would not stand for another adaptation like Robotech's in this day and age. In this era of fansubs (which were scarce in the 80s) and bittorrent, it would never survive, since now anime fans can see what they're missing a lot easier.

So to answer your question, Rocketshipper, it must be the rose-colored glasses that cause people to view Robotech positively. I watched the original Robotech as a kid, and liked it. But watching the new Macross dub I don't think I can ever watch Robotech again. It's just too inferior now.

EDIT: Also the English language songs were TERRIBLE.

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby termyt » Thu Sep 13, 2007 10:44 am

You are right. The kind of changes made to the three series of Robotech would not be tolerated in today's climate. Can anyone think of anything else that may have changed in the past 25 years? I can think of one thing that hasn’t – series the size of Macross and smaller still have great difficulty finding airtime on US TV. I think it's just a tad arrogant to say that, because of the way we look at things today, the things we did 25 years ago are not valid and should be ignored and forgotten. We didn’t have direct-to-DVD sales in 1984 – the only way to see TV shows was on TV. The only way to get on TV was to have a show with enough episodes to make TV execs willing to try it out.

Please understand, Rocketshipper, your opinion is valid and you raise good points. I also hope you are not getting frustrated or view the posts here as attacks on yourself. This thread is a magnet for fans of this "not even a show" so you are likely to draw negative responses here. Like it or not, our fandom gives this show legitimacy whether anyone else likes it or not. It is possible to enjoy a show on its own merits even if it is not true to the original material is it was derived from.

So feel free to be annoyed by us, but please don't take our Robotech away. It was a grand moment for those of use who were actually alive and out of diapers when those rabid fanfic lunatics murdered the original show and brought us something we didn't know could even exist in a cartoon. I’m thankful they did it.
[color="Red"]Please visit Love146.org[/color]
A member of the Society of Hatted Members
If your pedantic about grammar, its unlikely that you'll copy and paste this into your sig, to.
termyt

Postby mitsuki lover » Thu Sep 13, 2007 11:53 am

For the record I believe back in those days a tv series needed at least
52 episodes to be considered eligible for syndication.I could be wrong.
mitsuki lover

Postby creed4 » Thu Sep 13, 2007 12:39 pm

Some thing like that Mitsuki Lover
creed4

Postby Nate » Thu Sep 13, 2007 12:43 pm

mitsuki lover wrote:[color="Black"]For the record I believe back in those days a tv series needed at least
52 episodes to be considered eligible for syndication.I could be wrong.[/color]

It's 65 episodes for television syndication...I know this because the original English language run of Sailor Moon was 65 episodes, cutting the series off at a VERY important plot point...frustrating. XD
[color="Black"]It was a grand moment for those of use who were actually alive and out of diapers when those rabid fanfic lunatics murdered the original show and brought us something we didn't know could even exist in a cartoon. I’m thankful they did it.[/color]

And I agree to a point, but as Rocketshipper already said, acknowledging something as a milestone in anime and liking it are two different things. The English language Sailor Moon was what got me into anime--but it's terrible. I'm not going to praise the dub, because frankly, it sucks. I'm glad it exists, and I like it for getting me into the medium, but I don't have to like it for what it is. The same goes for Akira...the first time I saw it, I was blown away by what could be done in a cartoon, but trying to watch it today all I can see is the terrible convoluted storyline.

So yeah. *throws two copper coins on the table*

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby MasterDias » Thu Sep 13, 2007 1:42 pm

Now I don't approve of cutting up shows.
But speaking as someone who saw the first two sagas of Robotech for the first time several years ago, I can testify that I did find them enjoyable(albeit Macross more than Masters). I haven't seen the uncut versions, so maybe I would be a bit harsher if I had, however, I do think we should probably cut Robotech a bit of slack here.

And unlike the 4kids One Piece dub, they left in death, the acting was fine for the most part, and it didn't have terrible direction or ridiculous puns.

"A small stone may make a ripple at first, but someday it will be a wave." - Wiegraf - Final Fantasy Tactics
MasterDias

Postby Mithrandir » Thu Sep 13, 2007 4:27 pm

And we are NOT going to digress onto that point, are we MasterDias?
Mithrandir

Postby MasterDias » Thu Sep 13, 2007 6:22 pm

No, of course not. I was making simple comparative statements.

MasterDias

Postby Mave » Fri Sep 14, 2007 3:49 am

[Mave's opinions]

There are only two things that royally ticked me off in Robotech:

1) How horrible the animation was for Max and Miriya's fall-in-love-and-get-married episode (You monsters! You ruined one of the most significant events for the two coolest Robotech pilots in my mind! *growls*)

2) Minmei

I don't suppose they would eliminate #2. I really can't stand her voice and personality in Robotech. :lol:

[/Mave's opinions]

Ah well, life goes on. But I'll still watch the live action series, out of curiosity and nostalgia. :D
Mave

Next

Return to General Entertainment