Death Note' May Go Hollywood

TV, Movies, Sports...you can find it all in here.

Death Note may Go Hollywood

Postby Roy Mustang » Mon Jul 09, 2007 5:26 pm

Reported from animeonline.com

Never mind that there are two perfectly good live-action Death Note films in existence (and a spin-off third on the way): according to Twitch's interview with Death Note live-action director Shusuke Kaneko, Warner Bros. is contemplating whether to give the films a subtitled release in the U.S., or whether to remake them entirely.

Col. Roy Mustang
Roy Mustang

Postby Tenshi no Ai » Mon Jul 09, 2007 6:33 pm

Still have yet to watch both movies (need time to do so, but can't wait to!) I don't think a complete remake would be a good idea... Somehow, I have a feeling that it would really stink. The original author was quite brilliant with his story writing, and if they got someone else to reconfigure it all... Yeah, no :/
神 は、 その 独り 子 を お与え に なった ほど に 世 お愛 された。
独り 子 を 信じる 者 が 一人 も滅 ひない で, 永遠 の 命 お得る ため で ある。

ヨハネ 3:16
Tenshi no Ai

Postby Fish and Chips » Tue Jul 10, 2007 4:28 am

I have a brilliant solution.

The American film industry, market, and audience all admit that the animated medium has a solid ability to tell engaging, interesting stories, and whole-heartedly support the field, as opposed to ripping off concepts to make their then sub-par live action movie adaptations, so they can feel good about themselves for their big, grown-up movies.

Excuse my rambling.

Or, we could simply quit milking Death Note. Capitalism isn't always the answer.
Fish and Chips

Postby uc pseudonym » Tue Jul 10, 2007 12:47 pm

Let me confess up front: if they made a Death Note adaptation, I would watch it.

But I would prefer they not make live action versions at all, or failing that only sub the Japanese versions, or failing that just repeat what those versions did with a bigger budget and in English. If they change things without a good reason I will be irritated, but that is par for the course.
uc pseudonym

Postby Sheol777 » Thu Jul 12, 2007 5:04 pm

As a big Death Note fan I think the anime was the best offering of the story.

The live action Japanese was horrid. The actors couldn't act and the script was shakey. The only good thing about it was the shinigami.

I wouldn't mind seeing this done by a good american director that could handle it well.

Scorsesie maybe?
Image........... My Deep Space Nine Podcast ........... My Anime List...........
Sheol777

Postby ChristianKitsune » Thu Jul 12, 2007 5:10 pm

I haven't watched DN (I want to!) but I would totally watch a new American adaptation, rather than a subtitled Japanese live action, here is why:

If someone can do this well, and I mean REALLY well. We could see a whole new legion of anime fans. Once people see how cool the stories can be, I think things for Anime will be looking up even more.

Transformers was a cartoon, and then an anime after all, and look how well that is doing.
ImageImage
Stick Monkey Chronicles
Web-Manga Hosted by: The Project
ChristianKitsune

Location: In my sketchbook of wonderment and puffy pink clouds! *\^o^/*

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Thu Jul 12, 2007 8:55 pm

Sheol777 wrote:As a big Death Note fan I think the anime was the best offering of the story.

The live action Japanese was horrid. The actors couldn't act and the script was shakey. The only good thing about it was the shinigami.

I wouldn't mind seeing this done by a good american director that could handle it well.

Scorsesie maybe?

I highly doubt Martin Scorcese would direct something like Death Note, lol.

Anyway I agree with you, the anime and manga were the best offerings of the story. The Live Action movies were absolutely horrible. The only good actor was Tatsuya Fujiwara (Light). The actor for L was pretty bad, and that upset me. I know L cosplayers that could have done a better job XD. That and the production values were pretty bad.

I also didn't like how they take off in a totally different direction. No Near and no Mello.
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby Mangafanatic » Fri Jul 13, 2007 7:39 am

I am (or at least generally strive to be) one of those people who can enjoy a book-- or manga in this situation-- and also enjoy a well produced movie adaptation of that book, even if the movie isn't particularly true to the source material. If the movie is entertaining, I can enjoy it. If the book is entertaining, I enjoy that, too. For that reason, I'd be perfectly fine with a Hollywood attempt at creating a Death Note movie. For one thing, Hollywood is capable of writing screenplays that are just as captivating as the source material. While I'm sure manga might provide a unique challenge in adapting, I'm fully confident there's someone out there capable of doing it will. Additionally, as Spiderman and a number of other recent box office smashes have proven, there are many directors who can pull off comic-to-screen adaptations in brilliant ways. Lastly, I'd let Hollywood have a go at Death Note just because I'd love to see a high budget CGI rendering of Ryuk. Oh, how wonderful that would be. . .

As far as who might be willing to take the project, I'd guess Wachowski brothers would love to take on the project. They're obviously big comic book fans, as V for Vendetta proved, but I also know they love anime, as you can see in their decision to make the animatrix movies as well as the fact that Ghost in Shell as the inspiration behind the Matrix franchise.
Every year in Uganda, innumerable children simply. . . disappear. These children all stolen under the cover of darkness from their homes and impressed into the guerilla armies of the LRA [Lord's Resistance Army]. In the deserts of Uganda, they are forced to witness the mindless slaughter of other children until they themselves can do nothing but kill. Kill. These children, generally ranging from ages 5-12, are brainwashed into murdering in the name of the resistance and into stealing other children from their beds to suffer the same fate.

Because of this genocide of innocence, hundred and hundreds of children live every night sleeping in public places miles from their homes, because they know that if the do not-- they will disappear. They will become just another number in this genocide to which the international community has chosen to turn a blind eye. They will become, in affect, invisible-- Invisible Children.

But there are those who are trying to fight against this slaughter of Uganda's children. They fight to protect these "invisible children." Please, help them help a country full of children who know nothing by fear. Help save the innocence. For more information concerning how you can help and how you can get an incredible video about this horrific reality, visit the Invisible Children home page.
Mangafanatic

Postby uc pseudonym » Fri Jul 13, 2007 12:54 pm

Mr. SmartyPants wrote:I also didn't like how they take off in a totally different direction. No Near and no Mello.

You liked them? That isn't a very common position. While I haven't seen the live action versions, I have to admit that I'm a bit partial to what I hear they did with the plot.

Mangafanatic wrote:As far as who might be willing to take the project, I'd guess Wachowski brothers would love to take on the project. They're obviously big comic book fans, as V for Vendetta proved, but I also know they love anime, as you can see in their decision to make the animatrix movies as well as the fact that Ghost in Shell as the inspiration behind the Matrix franchise.

If they were announced as the directors, my skepticism would skyrocket. They proved with V For Vendetta that they won't turn everything into an action movie, but... some of the things I've seen from them (Path of Neo, most prominently) make me wonder. I don't think I'd want to see what they'd change in Death Note.
uc pseudonym

Postby MasterDias » Fri Jul 13, 2007 1:46 pm

In my mind, Death Note could work as a Hollywood movie. The tone of the story is serious, without Japanese humour or anything that would be difficult to translate right. It just depends on if they could get a good scriptwriter in on it.

On the other hand, if it turns out successful, there is a vague possibility Hollywood may decide to start adapting other successful anime/manga into live-action movies (much like the trend of comic book-based and fantasy movies). I'm not sure that I want to see how badly certain anime/manga could be butchered as LA adaptations...
-----------------------------------------
"Always seek to do good to one another and to all."
1 Thessalonians 5:15

"Every story must have an ending." - Auron - Final Fantasy X

"A small stone may make a ripple at first, but someday it will be a wave." - Wiegraf - Final Fantasy Tactics
MasterDias

Postby Kaligraphic » Fri Jul 13, 2007 3:09 pm

Uwe Boll, anyone?
The cake used to be a lie like you, but then it took a portal to the deception core.
Kaligraphic

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Fri Jul 13, 2007 3:24 pm

uc pseudonym wrote:You liked them? That isn't a very common position. While I haven't seen the live action versions, I have to admit that I'm a bit partial to what I hear they did with the plot.

I thought they were pretty cool, more so Near than Mello. I suppose they took them out due to time restraints.

But yes, overall the movie wasn't that great.
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby uc pseudonym » Sat Jul 14, 2007 1:09 pm

Kaligraphic wrote:Uwe Boll, anyone?

He should direct the Hollywood live action Sailor Moon. Yes, I realize that doesn't make any sense whatsoever, but I still find it funny.

Mr. SmartyPants wrote:I thought they were pretty cool, more so Near than Mello. I suppose they took them out due to time restraints.

That or the two characters high unpopularity; plenty of people felt as though the series was stretched too far after the first part. I'm fairly neutral about them myself, but you're the first person I've seen who has expressed significant approval of them, so I found it interesting. And yes, Near > Mello.
uc pseudonym

Return to General Entertainment