Ready for some good news?

TV, Movies, Sports...you can find it all in here.

Postby Nia-chan » Sun Jul 01, 2007 9:41 pm

I just want more details on this Frog Princess movie they're making... the first black Disney princess.
Don't make me hit you with my pocketbook :angel:
Nia-chan

Postby Tenshi no Ai » Sun Jul 01, 2007 9:54 pm

Radical Dreamer wrote:I agree 200%. I don't believe I can add anything else to this post that would further express my view on the matter. *applause*

I agree as well. And yes, movies since the early 90's have been at an all-time low in quality. Sure, some of the 3D movies can be kinda fun and have quite the quirky characters, but it's only amusing for awhile and won't last (like my post on Chicken Little). It's more like they are trying to appeal moreso to the younger crowd. Yes it does bring in money, but since parents will be obviously dragged along, should have something they can have fun at too!

There's also a disturbing trend when it comes to these 3D animations: first and foremost, it HAS to involve animals on some silly adventure. Secondly, once there's an idea, someone has to follow, whether its involve ants (Bug's Life-Antz), zoo animals (Madagascar-The Wild), or penguins (Happy Feet-Surf's Up). Some have their nice little ideas, but lasting apparal just won't make it in years to come. Will anyone really go out and buy a 20 year anniversay edition of Over the Hedge? I actually ended up watching Open Season twice. It had it's moments, I loved their portrayal of bunnies, but won't be going back to it as much as an old favorite, such as The Fox and the Hound (HAD to buy the anniversary ed. on DVD to upgrade from my VHS). Heck, I even buy nostalgia because the second Care Bears movie (yes, a sequel) was one of my absolute favorite movies growing up. In fact, I remember when I was little and watched the FIRST movie and not liking it as much :/ Either it was the nostalgia factor, or they knew how to make awsome sequels back then. Fival Goes West was another amazing example (Steven Speilburg, but still). First was a classic but that was just... fun^^

And yes, I do agree that they're trying to aim for money and putting aside quality. I love how Pixar really puts care into each of their stories. In fact, if you've watched the teaser for their new flick coming out next year, Wall E, they say how they've had this idea in the back of their mind for years when first designing Toy Story, Monsters Inc, and Finding Nemo. Old ideas can sure be awsome, and they decided to follow up on their plans^^
神 は、 その 独り 子 を お与え に なった ほど に 世 お愛 された。
独り 子 を 信じる 者 が 一人 も滅 ひない で, 永遠 の 命 お得る ため で ある。

ヨハネ 3:16
Tenshi no Ai

Postby ADXC » Sun Jul 01, 2007 10:01 pm

But I hope you aren't insinuating that A Bugs Life wasn't a good movie. I really liked it and remember it was made by Pixar. I love The Fox and The Hound. That movie always gets to me. I also remember The Aristocats. Does anyone else remember it? I really liked it as well. And of course all the Disney/Pixar movies. But I would have to say that I love Miyazaki's movies the most. All of them just plain classics.
ADXC

Postby bakura_fan » Mon Jul 02, 2007 10:36 pm

what!? they can't NO!!!! ;-; why. i like sequels. yeah i like new stuff, but i like seeing more of the old characters too. like i miss watching the Aladdin tv series, and the Little mermaid tv series. ;-; why do i feel like i'm the only one supportive of Disney no matter what they do. Heck, I wanna become a storyboard artist for them. I was even thinking of selling em my story i've been working on(and have yet to finish =_=; ).
:angel:

[color=DeepSkyBlue] "He lives in you. He lives in me. [/color]He watches over everything we see.
Into the water. Into the truth. [color=Yellow][color=DeepSkyBlue]In your reflection, He lives in you." - He lives in you chorus[/color][/color]
"Slow, love, slow. Time's so fast. Now goes quickly, see Now it's past!
Soon will come, Soon will last. Wait." [color=Yellow]- Wait (sweeney todd) [/color]

[align=center]My art page.

[align=center]Married to swordguy
:hug:

[/align]
[/align]
bakura_fan

Postby Tenshi no Ai » Tue Jul 03, 2007 9:53 am

animedude90 wrote:But I hope you aren't insinuating that A Bugs Life wasn't a good movie.

Oh no, I mean like, they made that movie and pretty soon after Antz came out (was it by Dreamworks? Can't remember...) It's like, they're trying to copy one another with the trend, as the above examples were shown. Unless it's all just one big coincidence, which I doubt :/

Tenshi no Ai

Postby Radical Dreamer » Wed Jul 04, 2007 11:03 am

Tenshi no Ai wrote:Oh no, I mean like, they made that movie and pretty soon after Antz came out (was it by Dreamworks? Can't remember...) It's like, they're trying to copy one another with the trend, as the above examples were shown. Unless it's all just one big coincidence, which I doubt :/

Actually, I think it was a coincidence in this case. Not only had Pixar already thought up a bunch of brainstormed ideas before making Toy Story (A Bug's Life was included in these ideas), but Antz and A Bug's Life were released around the same time period. Considering the length of time and research involved in making these movies, they wouldn't have been able to release A Bug's Life so soon after Antz without having started it around the same time.
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby MasterDias » Wed Jul 04, 2007 11:36 am

Funny people are mentioning The Fox and the Hound. It's the one Disney animated feature I almost never hear anything about(well, that and The Black Cauldron).

I generally agree with what's been said here. I haven't really been interested in non-Pixar animated movies for the past several years due to the factors that others have stated. Also, I don't recall Antz and A Bug's Life being all that similar in the story...
-----------------------------------------
"Always seek to do good to one another and to all."
1 Thessalonians 5:15

"Every story must have an ending." - Auron - Final Fantasy X

"A small stone may make a ripple at first, but someday it will be a wave." - Wiegraf - Final Fantasy Tactics
MasterDias

Postby Maledicte » Wed Jul 04, 2007 8:35 pm

animedude90 wrote:So basically what your saying is Pixar good, and Dreamworks bad. Yeah I agree. Believe me in my childhood, I would always watch the Lion King. Don't make jokes the Lion King was all the rage in 1994-1995. And so were those other movies that you guys have just mentioned. Dreamworks pictures are funny but only because as others have said before that they are built around popculture and thats true. I hate Madagascar, its probably the worst movie ever made. I can't believe I saw it. Don't see it, its humor is a little sick and stupid. I almost feel like Dreamworks is "dumbing them down a bit just for laughs and not that good feeling that you should get when coming out of a movie for example Pixar...

Hey, don't go bashing all of Dreamworks' films. The Prince of Egypt, The Road to El Dorado, and Spirit: Stallion of the Cimmaron (which I haven't seen all of yet) are very very good movies. I haven't seen Sinbad, but I'm pretty sure that Dreamworks' 2D films are of good quality. I hope they make the move back to 2D as well.
Maledicte

Postby MasterDias » Thu Jul 05, 2007 12:03 am

I liked The Prince of Egypt and I remember enjoying The Road to El Dorado and Joseph: King of Dreams. Never seen Spirit or Sinbad although apparantly the latter bombed so badly that Dreamworks switched to 3d movies entirely.

"A small stone may make a ripple at first, but someday it will be a wave." - Wiegraf - Final Fantasy Tactics
MasterDias

Postby ADXC » Fri Jul 06, 2007 1:00 pm

I don't mean all the Dreamworks movies are bad. I mean just the ones that are mostly new like that. I didn't mean older movies that actually told a good story, although Im a little border line on The Road to El Dorado and Sinbad. Not that they weren't good movies just that some of the content wasn't the best kind to show in mixed company. But I really did like The Prince of Egypt and Joseph: King of Dreams. Spirit was good as well. Im sorry I just forget about those movies thats why. Because those might be some of my favorite movies. I was a little hasty with my first statement, so I'll try to think about all that each category entails.
ADXC

Postby mitsuki lover » Fri Jul 06, 2007 1:23 pm

The Black Cauldron was based on the late author Lloyd Alexander's trilogy based on the Arthur legend.

Some of Disney's based animated movies were based on literature like that:
Sleeping Beauty,Snow White And The Seven Dwarves,Aladdin(the original movie),etc.

Though their greatest movie ever made still remains Fantasia because it was daring and original.
mitsuki lover

Postby Tenshi no Ai » Fri Jul 06, 2007 2:48 pm

mitsuki lover wrote:The Black Cauldron was based on the late author Lloyd Alexander's trilogy based on the Arthur legend.

With the Black Cauldren/Fox and the Hound thing, it's interesting. When I was about 7 was when Fox first came to VHS and my friends and I LOVED it. It was only a few years ago when I first heard of Cauldren...

mitsuki lover wrote:Some of Disney's based animated movies were based on literature like that:
Sleeping Beauty,Snow White And The Seven Dwarves,Aladdin(the original movie),etc.

95% of even their classical works were from old fairytales/novels. The Peter Pan... The Lion King... The Little Mermaid... Alice in Wonderland, almost all! The Fox and the Hound and 101 Dalmations are the only ones off the top of my head that I can think of that were original, as far as I know. And it's interest... all their "classics" are animated re-tellings (although they did an amazing job with a ton of them). Maybe they threw out so many sequels too so they could actually try and create their own little stories? *shrugs* Also seems like the newest original tale was Emperor's New Grove (still love it as a newer show^^) but after that came spin offs a-plenty with sequels... Maybe they just ran out of fairytales to recreate?^^

mitsuki lover wrote:Though their greatest movie ever made still remains Fantasia because it was daring and original.

It was definitely unique. Too bad there were no vocals or anything, but really, it didn't even need them for the type of movie it was. Never did see Fantasia 2000 though.

Tenshi no Ai

Postby Radical Dreamer » Fri Jul 06, 2007 2:58 pm

Tenshi no Ai wrote:The Fox and the Hound and 101 Dalmations are the only ones off the top of my head that I can think of that were original, as far as I know.

Actually, 101 Dalmatians was based on a book. I forget who wrote it, though. XD The Fox and the Hound, though, may have been original. I don't know much about that one, other than that it's reeeaally good. XD
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby MasterDias » Fri Jul 06, 2007 3:24 pm

mitsuki lover wrote:The Black Cauldron was based on the late author Lloyd Alexander's trilogy based on the Arthur legend.

Alexander wrote five books in The Chronicles of Prydain, and while it's been years since I've read them, I don't remember them having anything to do with King Arthur. I believe you are confused with T.H.White's The Sword in the Stone.

Actually, 101 Dalmatians was based on a book. I forget who wrote it, though. XD The Fox and the Hound, though, may have been original. I don't know much about that one, other than that it's reeeaally good. XD

101 Dalmations was based on "The Hundred and One Dalmations" by Dodie Smith. I'd sort of forgotton about it, but it's a childhood favorite of mine. I recommend it, especially if you liked any of the movies, as I consider the novel better.
The Fox and the Hound movie was loosely based on "The Fox and the Hound" by Daniel Pratt Mannix IV. I haven't read this one.

And while I'm at it, The Rescuers and The Great Mouse Detective were based on books as well. Oliver & Company was sort-of based off of Oliver Twist. I believe Lady and the Tramp and The Aristocats were original movies.

MasterDias

Postby Fish and Chips » Fri Jul 06, 2007 3:56 pm

Trilogy? Only in Douglas Adam's bizarre continuity. Alexander's Chronicles of Prydain clocks at five volumes, influenced more by Celtic/British mythology in general (rather than the Arthurian legend in specific). Dealing with swords and kings does not drum everything up to Arthur.
Fish and Chips

Postby AsianBlossom » Sat Jul 07, 2007 5:28 am

I totally agree with Alec and anyone else who agrees with him (RadicalDreamer and Tenshi no Ai to name a few). You can tell when an artist has put their heart and soul into their work, because they have taken the time and effort to create something wonderful. This is why I can't stand the Disney DTV movies. Tarzan and Jane even stooped as low as taking clips from the television series and sticking them in as a "three story" movie, which goes kind of like this:

"Oh, no! We have a problem! I have to fix it."
"Wait a minute! Do you remember the time when __________, and the time when ______________, and the time when ______________?"
Well here's what happens now!

Now, if there's anyone out there who enjoys these sorts of movies, then my apologies, as I didn't mean to offend. But an artform was being killed and shamefully disgraced by cheap computer animation and dime a dozen DTV movies and sequels.
RESPECT THE UNBORN AND CHOOSE LIFE...your mother did.

"Do not underestimate the power of the muffin! The muffin will smite all those who question it! The muffin will crush all nay-sayers! He who controls the muffin shall control the entire world!" -Taishi, Comic Party English Dub
AsianBlossom

Postby mitsuki lover » Sat Jul 07, 2007 3:11 pm

I was unaware of any other books in the Prydain series.Actually I believe that
The Black Cauldron is based on the first three and especially the first book.

One of the problems with many of the more recent films was the need to insert unneeded musical numbers.Alas even Mulan suffers from this.
mitsuki lover

Postby Radical Dreamer » Sat Jul 07, 2007 4:14 pm

mitsuki lover wrote:One of the problems with many of the more recent films was the need to insert unneeded musical numbers.Alas even Mulan suffers from this.

Actually, some of Disney's greatest animated films are musicals. The Lion King, The Little Mermaid, The Jungle Book, Beauty and the Beast--all these are musicals in a sense of the word, and they're all considered classic films.

And the musical numbers in Mulan were great.

Radical Dreamer

Postby Fish and Chips » Sat Jul 07, 2007 4:42 pm

mitsuki lover wrote:I was unaware of any other books in the Prydain series.Actually I believe that
The Black Cauldron is based on the first three and especially the first book.

The Black Cauldron was based on the second book, tentatively titled...the Black Cauldron. With elements from the first (The Book of Three) melded together, namely the antagonist "The Horned King."
Fish and Chips

Previous

Return to General Entertainment