Pirates of the Caribean: At World's End

TV, Movies, Sports...you can find it all in here.

Postby ShiroiHikari » Sat Jun 16, 2007 7:56 pm

shojoiscool2 wrote:I saw it. Not to give any spoilers but in general I thought the movie was pretty incoherent. I didn't understand why alot of things happened and what people's motivations were. I'd give a 3.

I happen to agree with you (and I did see the second movie). My initial assessment still stands: it was never boring. However, the plot was a big tangly mess.
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby ADXC » Sat Jun 16, 2007 8:23 pm

Well I understood the movies plot after seeing it two times. Well I did sorta understand it the first time but the second time helped me understand it more clearly. Yes I saw it two times but only because my mom didn't see it the first time and they wanted me to see it with her. But I didn't mind seeing it again because I liked the movie.
ADXC

Postby Maledicte » Sat Jun 16, 2007 11:02 pm

I've noticed here and on the IMDb that people who watch this movie twice, or read deep into everything in the first two films, tend to enjoy the third movie much more than had they not. It's no different than following your favorite TV show or novel series. I guess most people aren't interested in involving themselves into theatrical releases anymore.

The only real issue I had with the movie was pacing, as it was a bit ploddy at times and muddled in others, but since I like the story and characters as a whole I just wanted more of it. So it didn't bother me much.
Maledicte

Postby ADXC » Sat Jun 16, 2007 11:10 pm

Yeah I know there were parts that didn't sit well with me. Im still a little weirded out about that Davy Jones' locker part. But all in all Id say it was a pretty good movie. Not as much comedy in the first two but still good. He never says "This is the day you will remember when you almost caught Jake Sparrow." And he doesn't have much of a swagger in his steps as he did in the first two. You know where you cross your legs over one another while walking. Sorta like how a drunk would walk.
Im pretty sure that was the last POTC movie unless they have a movie with

[SPOILER] With Will's son [/SPOILER]
ADXC

Postby Maledicte » Sun Jun 17, 2007 4:27 pm

Yeah, the Davy Jones' Locker part was really out there. It felt like it came from a European art-house film or something.

They could always make spinoff POTC movies like:

[spoiler]
-The Adventures of Jack the Monkey
-Will's Life as Ferryman of the Sea (or whatever he now is)
-Elizabeth's Captainy Adventures
-Jack and Barbossa Battle it Out for the Pearl Once Again
-Jack's Quest for the Fountain of Youth
-The Life and Times of Calypso and Davy
[/spoiler]

I do find one discrepancy in the story though. In the first film Jack wants the Black Pearl than anything. Then it becomes no, Jack wants immortality more than anything and immortality means freedom and freedom is represented by the Black Pearl, which is a bit of a stretch.
Maledicte

Postby Radical Dreamer » Sun Jun 17, 2007 4:31 pm

animedude90 wrote:He never says "This is the day you will remember when you almost caught Jake Sparrow."

OH MAN. I just realized that! XD How could they leave that line out? It would've been PERFECT for him to say it in front of Davey Jones at some point in the movie...

Aww. I'm disappointed now, moreso than my original post in this thread. XDD
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby Sheol777 » Sun Jun 17, 2007 10:07 pm

Ok, did anyone else need a subtitle to this movie? I mean between Davy Jones, Jack Sparrow, Tia Dalma and all the foriegn pirates..I couldn't even understand what the heck they were saying half the time!

Also if you though there were too many plot hooks in Pirates 2...boy you ain't seen nothing yet. When 2-3 charaters meet after not having seen each other in a while. You kinda have to do a mental check of all the gripes they have against each other!

[spoiler]
I was a fan of Jack's time spent in the Locker was quite interesting, and it gave him a querky mental condition as well. The ship to ship fight had the same problem King Kong had....TOO MUCH ACTION! I mean a whirlpool, a swordfight on the mast, cannons, main masts locking, swing ropes...sheesh! [/spoiler]
Well at least the slapstick was turned down in this film...I hated the water wheel fight from Pirates 2. The CG was also fantastic, practically seamless. I like the character of Jack Sparrow (and I keep waiting for this line too!) he was not a disappointment. Overall...Pirates 1 was the best, Pirates 2 was the worst, and Pirates 3 was Ok.
Image........... My Deep Space Nine Podcast ........... My Anime List...........
Sheol777

Postby K. Ayato » Sun Jun 17, 2007 10:31 pm

If you grew up with hearing a lot of different accents, and some thicker than others, it's no trouble at all. If not, I suggest getting the DVD version with subtitles.
K. Ayato: What happens if you press the small red button?

*Explosion goes off in the movie*

mechana2015: Does that answer your question?

K. Ayato: Perfectly.

Prayer sister of kaji, sticksabuser, Angel37, and Doubleshadow --Love you guys! :)
K. Ayato

Previous

Return to General Entertainment