Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer

TV, Movies, Sports...you can find it all in here.

Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer

Postby ilikegir33 » Thu Jun 14, 2007 2:06 pm

Are you psyched for this movie yet? I certainly am.

BTW, they rated it PG. Yes, PG. Not PG-13.
:dizzy: [color="Orange"]People are so crazy these days. If you are one of those crazy ppl, then copy this into your sig![/color]:dizzy:
MOES. "Take off every sig for great justice"
@)}~`,~ Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks To All The CAA Moderators.
What I'll be reviewing in the future:
SoulTaker (soon to start)
Whoever loves discipline loves knowledge, but he who hates correction is stupid. Proverbs 12:1
ilikegir33

Postby Maledicte » Thu Jun 14, 2007 2:10 pm

I wouldn't say I'm exactly psyched, but anything with the Silver Surfer has a tendency to make me excited.

I'm only disappointed that they decided to dub over the Silver Surfer with Lawrence Fishburne's voice. I mean, I like the guy, he has a nice voice, but let Doug talk for once! He's an awesome actor!

*fumes until Hellboy 2 comes out*
Maledicte

Postby Cognitive Gear » Thu Jun 14, 2007 3:41 pm

I'm really not looking forward to this. Silver Surfer is awesome, but after what they did to Dr. Doom I have zero confidence in the team that brought the four to the big screen.

Also, I was disappointed to find out that Fox got a reviewer fired from his job. They threatened to blacklist another company unless they pulled the review and fired the reviewer. I would link, however the article that I know of regarding this issue has some CAA-inappropriate language in it. If anyone would like a link, just ask and I will PM you one.
[font="Tahoma"][SIZE="2"]"It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things."

-Terry Pratchett[/SIZE][/font]
Cognitive Gear

Postby mitsuki lover » Fri Jun 15, 2007 1:55 pm

Looks like Marvel is hogging the comic book big screen for the Summer,at least for now,what with Spider-man 3 coming out and FF2 already out today.
I think that sooner or later they're going to have to do a Spidey FF cross over in the movies.
mitsuki lover

Postby ilikegir33 » Fri Jun 15, 2007 3:24 pm

I saw it today. I thought it was a pretty good popcorn action flick, but it wasn't as good as Spider-Man 3. There was some rough language and violence. You should see it if you're a fan of the Four. For every1 else, don't see it.
:dizzy: [color="Orange"]People are so crazy these days. If you are one of those crazy ppl, then copy this into your sig![/color]:dizzy:
MOES. "Take off every sig for great justice"
@)}~`,~ Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks To All The CAA Moderators.
What I'll be reviewing in the future:
SoulTaker (soon to start)
Whoever loves discipline loves knowledge, but he who hates correction is stupid. Proverbs 12:1
ilikegir33

Postby Tenshi no Ai » Fri Jun 15, 2007 3:31 pm

ilikegir33 wrote:You should see it if you're a fan of the Four. For every1 else, don't see it.

Hm I haven't even see the first one yet^^ As a marvel series (it is Marvel, right?) the 4 has never overly intrigued me really...
神 は、 その 独り 子 を お与え に なった ほど に 世 お愛 された。
独り 子 を 信じる 者 が 一人 も滅 ひない で, 永遠 の 命 お得る ため で ある。

ヨハネ 3:16
Tenshi no Ai

Postby Tommy » Fri Jun 15, 2007 6:51 pm

I'm by no means a fan of the Fantastic Four, but it was a decent film to see with friends.
Tommy

Postby Nate » Fri Jun 15, 2007 7:06 pm

I never saw the first F4 movie, but I did see this one. I decided to take a chance based on the previews. And boy, am I glad I did.

This is the best comic book movie I've seen since Spider-Man 2. This movie seriously blows Spider-Man 3 out of the water (not that that's hard to do since Spider-Man 3 was pretty terrible XD).

The dialogue was pretty bad in a lot of places, honestly. The worst standouts to me were the beginning where Reed and Sue were talking about marriage, and Reed talking to the women at his bachelor party.

Other than that though, I was slightly disappointed Galactus was depicted as a formless force rather than as a humanoid, though I guess it is in keeping with the comics (although Galactus can assume a humanoid shape, he does not have to).
[SPOILER=End of the movie]I also kind of refuse to believe that Galactus was destroyed so easily, given how immensely powerful he is...maybe he'll reappear in the Silver Surfer movie, though.[/SPOILER]
So yeah. Totally worth the eight bucks. Totally.

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby Tommy » Fri Jun 15, 2007 7:14 pm

It's not made for people who like KABOOM-KABANG action movies.

The people who like those kinds of movies will get their fill with that new "Die Hard" movie that doesn't look that bad.
FKA Tom Dincht

Check out my band if you've got the time.
http://encompass1.bandcamp.com/
Tommy

Postby Maledicte » Fri Jun 15, 2007 7:35 pm

that review ikimasu sent me wrote:However, FF2 wasn’t a total failure. The Surfer is phenomenal (with the exception being Lawrence Fishburne’s distracting voice).

SEE!?! I TOLD you Doug Jones should have done the voice!

Eh, some of the dialogue was bad in the first movie too, Nate. Can't be worse here.
Maledicte

Postby Nate » Fri Jun 15, 2007 7:37 pm

One of my personal favorite parts is that Brian Posehn plays the minister conducting the wedding in the movie. I'm very fond of his work from Mr. Show, so it was a blast seeing him in a movie like this.

The Stan Lee cameo in this one also wasn't too bad. Definitely better than the one in Spider-Man 3 at least.

Nate

Postby Maledicte » Fri Jun 15, 2007 7:58 pm

I wonder, is Stan Lee trying to be the next Alfred Hitchcock?

Nah, 'cause then he'd have to be directing movies. Thank God he's not.
Maledicte

Postby K. Ayato » Fri Jun 15, 2007 8:02 pm

Since they've already introduced Galactus, will they introduce Ego in the future?

Ok, so he's kinda minor, but the idea of a living planet could be interesting to put in film.
K. Ayato: What happens if you press the small red button?

*Explosion goes off in the movie*

mechana2015: Does that answer your question?

K. Ayato: Perfectly.

Prayer sister of kaji, sticksabuser, Angel37, and Doubleshadow --Love you guys! :)
K. Ayato

Postby Maledicte » Fri Jun 15, 2007 8:09 pm

A *bearded* living planet with tentacles. I don't even remember his significance to the story.

They need to bring Torgo in the franchise. Poor guy doesn't get any love.
Maledicte

Postby K. Ayato » Fri Jun 15, 2007 8:11 pm

Torgo...Wasn't that the guy that Thing had to fight against, Gladiator-style? That's all I remember him from. I didn't know he had a bigger role.
K. Ayato: What happens if you press the small red button?

*Explosion goes off in the movie*

mechana2015: Does that answer your question?

K. Ayato: Perfectly.

Prayer sister of kaji, sticksabuser, Angel37, and Doubleshadow --Love you guys! :)
K. Ayato

Postby Maledicte » Fri Jun 15, 2007 9:52 pm

He didn't have a bigger role. It's just funny because Torgo is the name of that lump-legged guy in Manos: The Hands of Fate.

Mr. Fantastic: Oh no, it's TORGO!!!"
Torgo: *Torgo theme music*
Maledicte

Postby Shinja » Sat Jun 16, 2007 12:10 pm

it was good i just wish the surfer had've done more in the movie
MATT
Matt blends in - and hates it.

Give me a bike and a road by which to travel.
Shinja

Postby mitsuki lover » Sat Jun 16, 2007 1:40 pm

Did they actually show Galactus?
mitsuki lover

Postby Dai-go » Sat Jun 16, 2007 5:02 pm

mitsuki lover wrote:Did they actually show Galactus?

Yes they show Galactus.
Actually, I didn't mind him as a formless giantish thing, it kind of fit.
I mean "The devourer of worlds". Sorta like he is in the Ultimate Series.
BUT

If you look closely, you can see that the stuck the shadow of the original Galactus in there at the end. It was kinda a nice easter egg. If they are making a Silver Surfer movie, then we'll see the mainstream Galactus, and that "massless form" would be his sick ride...i.e. "car". XD Well, did you see that it wasn't all clouds? But there was machinery in there. It was weird.

Anyways, this movie is TONS better than the original fiasco.
And they bring Dr. Doom back. They can never kill him off. Not ever. If they did, 3/4ths of Marvel's fans would be severely ticked and if they dare showed their faces at Wizard World, they'd be flogged, then promptly tared and feathered.

*ahem*...not that'd I be one of those people....*ahem*
:sweat:
Dai-go

Postby Souba » Sun Jun 17, 2007 2:29 pm

I saw it Friday night and I thought it was good waaay better than the first one.
There's a fair balance of cheese, drama, and fun. When I went I suspected that Silver would steal the show, and it really felt that way. ^^ He's depicted really well, considering he's serving a gas cloud. :P
I knew already about Galactus' new form for the movie and I can understand why the director went that route. Overall, I'm glad to see one of the comic movies at a PG rating if it does well enough maybe it'll start a trend. ;)
God Bless,
Souba
@)}~`,~ @)}~`,~ @)}~`,~ @)}~`,~@)}~`,~ @)}~`,~ @)}~`,~

[color="RoyalBlue"]We are not saved by the Law, but by Grace[/color]

@)}~`,~ @)}~`,~ @)}~`,~ @)}~`,~@)}~`,~ @)}~`,~ @)}~`,~
Souba

Location: Second star to the right and straight on until morning!

Postby Nate » Sun Jun 17, 2007 11:11 pm

Dai-go wrote:Sorta like he is in the Ultimate Series.

Er, in the Ultimate universe Galactus is called Gah Lak Tus, and it isn't a humanoid entity, it's a group mind of city-sized robotic drones about 100,000 miles long that attacks worlds using envoys, followed by a flesh-eating virus that destroys all life.

So no, Galactus in this movie is in no way like in Ultimate Marvel. XD

Nate

Postby mitsuki lover » Mon Jun 18, 2007 11:41 am

I was wondering how they would show him if he was in the movie.
mitsuki lover

Postby Kurama » Mon Jun 18, 2007 12:32 pm

After seeing that movie I`m now A Silver Surfer Fangirl! XD
He was so cool!
Kurama

Postby Ingemar » Sat Jun 23, 2007 4:19 pm

Nate wrote:The Stan Lee cameo in this one also wasn't too bad. Definitely better than the one in Spider-Man 3 at least.
Oh man, you brought back some horrid memories.

It looks like one person can make a difference.

*cringe*

It was an OK movie, I just wish they could have toned down all the product placement.
Job 7:16

I loathe my life; I would not live forever. Let me alone, for my days are but a breath.
Ingemar

Postby Nate » Sat Jun 23, 2007 4:27 pm

Ingemar wrote:It was an OK movie, I just wish they could have toned down all the product placement.

Yeah, the Dodge thing was pretty crass, and the beginning where Johnny comes in and goes, "Hey guys, what do you think about these new uniforms?"

I guess they thought it would be a way to do product placement while still being amusing. They failed miserably though.

Nate

Postby CreatureArt » Sat Jun 23, 2007 4:39 pm

Weta Digital in NZ made Silver Surfer, I believe. :)

I'll go see it... but mostly for the special effects. I think I'll enjoy it as long as I don't take the storyline too seriously. ^^"
---
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
A sci-fi drama webcomic updating Thursdays.
PG-13. Rating description here.
---
CreatureArt

Postby Ingemar » Sat Jun 23, 2007 10:19 pm

Nate wrote:Yeah, the Dodge thing was pretty crass, and the beginning where Johnny comes in and goes, "Hey guys, what do you think about these new uniforms?"
The uniform thing didn't bother me since it 1). shows Johnny's crass and exploitative side and 2). NASCAR doesn't bother me (even though I don't watch it).

What DOES bother me is that folks like Dodge and Nokia are trying to advertise products that don't exist IRL.
Job 7:16

I loathe my life; I would not live forever. Let me alone, for my days are but a breath.
Ingemar

Postby Raiden no Kishi » Mon Jun 25, 2007 9:14 pm

This movie came across to me as a grab for money. The Dodge regalia on the flying car clinched it [Johnny's billboard suit didn't, because it had a point]. Also, I thought they made Dr. Doom a real dork, when he's supposed to be one of the coolest Marvel villains ever [as I understand]. However, Ben/Thing rocks my world.

Doom: : : plays video of his encounter with the Surfer : :
Thing: My favorite part was when he knocked you on your [butt].

.rai//
[raiden's liveJournal]

[color="Indigo"]"I believe whatever doesn't kill you simply makes you . . . stranger."[/color]

Strollin' in at dawn, wakin' up at noon's gonna catch up to me soon
'Just sleep when you're dead' is what I said 'cause I'm jumpin' off the moon
Raiden no Kishi

Location: Ticking away/The hours that make up the dull day . . .

Return to General Entertainment