What Manga are you reading?

Post about anime's sister, manga in here. Manga reviews accepted in here as well.

Postby shojoiscool2 » Fri Jun 01, 2007 8:14 am

Currently reading Nodame Contabile #8
shojoiscool2

Postby MasterDias » Fri Jun 01, 2007 5:57 pm

uc pseudonym wrote:Further Rave Master. I am enjoying it somewhat more, but I'm appalled by some of the handling at the end of the Gale vs King part. He's very blunt about moving the story to end at this point and then changing it to continue. This is not something of which I approve. Not that it taints my reading experience, it was actually more amusing than irritating.

[spoiler]I believe I know of what you speak. King kills himself, blows up his base, and then the protagonists go off to search for Star Memory, right? Now that I think about it, that was rather abrupt. Although, DC manages to come back a few volumes later...[/spoiler]
-----------------------------------------
"Always seek to do good to one another and to all."
1 Thessalonians 5:15

"Every story must have an ending." - Auron - Final Fantasy X

"A small stone may make a ripple at first, but someday it will be a wave." - Wiegraf - Final Fantasy Tactics
MasterDias

Postby KeybladeWarrior » Fri Jun 01, 2007 7:56 pm

Yakitate Japan vol. 1
@)}~`,~ Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks, To All
The CAA Moderators.

"YEAH TOAST! TOCAA!"
KeybladeWarrior

Postby uc pseudonym » Sat Jun 02, 2007 11:26 am

Re: MasterDias
[spoiler=Rave Master]Yes, that's the part. The page on which the creator comments, however, explicitly says that he got a new idea for a manga (Fairy Tail, mayhap?) and wanted to see how quickly he could end Rave Master, then changed his mind. If not for this I would have found things abrupt but not irritating.

I'm glad to hear DC comes back. For a moment I worried that many of the generals were actually dead (which seems absurd for a shonen manga) what with the introduction of new minor organizations.[/spoiler]
uc pseudonym

Postby Htom Sirveaux » Sat Jun 02, 2007 6:34 pm

Ichigo_89 wrote:BLAME! vol.10

Oh, it's up to vol. 10? I kinda got out of it around vol. 5, so I hadn't known. How long is it supposed to be?

As for me, Basilisk vol. 1&2. Spiffy!
If this post seems too utterly absurd or ridiculous to be taken seriously, don't. :)
Htom Sirveaux

Postby mai » Mon Jun 04, 2007 8:03 am

Eternal Sabbath 5
My Website [online comic]

Do you find your self worried alot of the time about things that don't always make sense?

Are you experiencing any of these?
• Persistent feelings of sadness, irritability or anxiety
• Overreaction to irritations
• Loss of interest in activities previously enjoyed,
• Sleep too much, or sleep too little
• Unexpected loss or gain of weight
• Tiredness or restlessness
• Slowed movement, thought and/or speech
• Guilt, low self-esteem, feelings of worthlessness
• Inability to concentrate and poor memory
• Loss of motivation
• Feelings of hopelessness
• Suicidal thoughts and/or behavior
• Withdrawal from relationships, anti-social behavior
• Physical aches and pains that seem to have no other cause

If you have a few of the symptoms on this list, you may be suffering from a form of clinical depression there are many sites that offer advice and help.
mai

Postby Ichigo_89 » Mon Jun 04, 2007 4:26 pm

SpoonyBard wrote:Oh, it's up to vol. 10? I kinda got out of it around vol. 5, so I hadn't known. How long is it supposed to be?

As for me, Basilisk vol. 1&2. Spiffy!

I was reading online. The series ends at vol.10 and It's up to vol.8 in America so far. U can read it on [the internet] if you're not sure wether to keep buying or w/e ur doing to read it.
Ichigo_89

Postby jon_jinn » Mon Jun 04, 2007 4:43 pm

Ichigo_89 wrote:U can read it on [the internet] if you're not sure wether to keep buying or w/e ur doing to read it.

i'm not sure if we're allowed to publicly give out scanlation sites to other members...
[SIZE="4"]*FASTING FROM CAA (9/25/08 - ???)*[/SIZE]

[SIZE="1"]
"Sometimes we don't present the Gospel well enough for the non-elect to reject it."
- John MacArthur

"In the total expanse of the human life, there is not a single square inch of which Christ, who alone is sovereign, does not declare, 'That is mine'."
- Abraham Kuyper

"God the great Creator of all things doth uphold, direct, dispose, and govern all creatures, actions, and things, from the greatest even to the least, by His most wise and holy providence, according to His infallible foreknowledge and the free and immutable counsel of His own will, to the praise of the glory of His wisdom, power, justice, goodness, and mercy."
- Westminister Confession of Faith (Chapter 5, Section 1)

"The wisdom of God has found a way for the love of God to deliver sinners from the wrath of God all the while upholding the righteousness of God!!"
- John Piper

"Grace is the pleasure of God to magnify the worth of God by giving sinners the right and power to delight in God without obscuring the glory of God!"
-John Piper

"The very One from Whom we need to be saved, is the One Who has saved us."
- R.C. Sproul

"All of Christian life is ceaseless worship of God the Father, through the mediatorship of God the Son, by the indwelling power of God the Spirit, doing what God commands in Scripture, not doing what God forbids in Scripture, in culturally contextualized ways, for the furtherance of the Gospel, when both gathered for adoration, and scattered for action, in joyous response to God's glorious grace."
- Mark Driscoll

"Believers do not pray with the view of informing God about things unknown to Him, or of exciting Him to do His duty, or of urging Him as though He were reluctant. On the contrary, they pray in order that they may arouse themselves to seek Him, that they may exercise their faith in meditating on His promises, that they may relieve themselves from their anxieties by pouring them into His bosom; in a word, that they may declare that from Him alone they hope and expect, both for themselves and for others, all good things."
- Martin Luther

"I have to tell you first that I am ready to die. I have put my affairs in order. Your supreme weapon is killing. My supreme weapon is dying, because when you kill me, people all over Romania will read my books and believe on the God that I preach - even more than they do now."
- Dr. Joseph Ton, the exiled Romanian pastor (quoted by James Montgomery Boice)

"The best prayer I ever prayed had enough sin in it to condemn the whole world."
- John Bunyan

"If the Christian has lost sight of Calvary, that shows that he has lost his way."
- J.I. Packer[/SIZE]
jon_jinn

Postby Fish and Chips » Mon Jun 04, 2007 4:48 pm

Yeah, sorry, but publicly linking to scan sites is generally discouraged.
Fish and Chips

Postby uc pseudonym » Tue Jun 05, 2007 1:26 pm

Discouraged and edited out, as a matter of fact. Nothing to see here, folks, move along.

I haven't read anything new since my last post, so someone else will have to return the thread to its normal affairs.
uc pseudonym

Postby Fish and Chips » Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:53 pm

Samurai Executioner vol. 1

Same guy who authored Lone Wolf and Cub. Details the rise to prominence of a shogunate sword tester. Art is decidedly realistic and so mostly unrecognizable from other most other Manga (and flipped Western style). Definitely a content warning on this one. The main character is a genuine and moral enough (comparatively speaking) guy; everyone else? Naaaaah, not nearly so much. Sex and violence warning for younger audiences.
Fish and Chips

Postby Adie » Tue Jun 05, 2007 3:36 pm

Death Note volume 2.
Rereading Fullmetal Alchemist volumes 1-2.
Adie

Postby Cardinalman » Tue Jun 05, 2007 4:29 pm

Kokhiri Sojourn wrote:This is a rip from basically every other grouping here, but I didn't think the Manga section had one. Now it does.

I am currently reading Trigun #2 - Deep Space Planet Future Gun Action!, after just finishing up Trigun #1 - Deep Space Planet Future Gun Action!

:thumbsup:

Trigun sweet, Im readin gundam seed and seed destiny, Eureka seven, Bleach on the internet, a good site to read some of your favorite manga is http://www.something.com/
Cardinalman

Postby jon_jinn » Tue Jun 05, 2007 5:11 pm

Cardinalman wrote:Trigun sweet, Im readin gundam seed and seed destiny, Eureka seven, Bleach on the internet, a good site to read some of your favorite manga is http://www.something.com/

did you not just see my post in the previous page?! nor the first two posts made by Fish and Chips and UC, on this page?!

jon_jinn wrote:i'm not sure if we're allowed to publicly give out scanlation sites to other members...

Fish and Chips wrote:Yeah, sorry, but publicly linking to scan sites is generally discouraged.

UC Pseudonym wrote:Discouraged and edited out, as a matter of fact. Nothing to see here, folks, move along.

I haven't read anything new since my last post, so someone else will have to return the thread to its normal affairs.

c'mon! get with the program people here!!
also, regarding your quote to kokhiri sojourn about trigun, i think you should know that that post was made approximately three years ago...

[SIZE="1"]
"Sometimes we don't present the Gospel well enough for the non-elect to reject it."
- John MacArthur

"In the total expanse of the human life, there is not a single square inch of which Christ, who alone is sovereign, does not declare, 'That is mine'."
- Abraham Kuyper

"God the great Creator of all things doth uphold, direct, dispose, and govern all creatures, actions, and things, from the greatest even to the least, by His most wise and holy providence, according to His infallible foreknowledge and the free and immutable counsel of His own will, to the praise of the glory of His wisdom, power, justice, goodness, and mercy."

"The wisdom of God has found a way for the love of God to deliver sinners from the wrath of God all the while upholding the righteousness of God!!"
- John Piper

"Grace is the pleasure of God to magnify the worth of God by giving sinners the right and power to delight in God without obscuring the glory of God!"
-John Piper

- R.C. Sproul

"All of Christian life is ceaseless worship of God the Father, through the mediatorship of God the Son, by the indwelling power of God the Spirit, doing what God commands in Scripture, not doing what God forbids in Scripture, in culturally contextualized ways, for the furtherance of the Gospel, when both gathered for adoration, and scattered for action, in joyous response to God's glorious grace."
- Mark Driscoll

"Believers do not pray with the view of informing God about things unknown to Him, or of exciting Him to do His duty, or of urging Him as though He were reluctant. On the contrary, they pray in order that they may arouse themselves to seek Him, that they may exercise their faith in meditating on His promises, that they may relieve themselves from their anxieties by pouring them into His bosom; in a word, that they may declare that from Him alone they hope and expect, both for themselves and for others, all good things."
- Martin Luther

"I have to tell you first that I am ready to die. I have put my affairs in order. Your supreme weapon is killing. My supreme weapon is dying, because when you kill me, people all over Romania will read my books and believe on the God that I preach - even more than they do now."

"The best prayer I ever prayed had enough sin in it to condemn the whole world."
- John Bunyan

"If the Christian has lost sight of Calvary, that shows that he has lost his way."
- J.I. Packer[/SIZE]
jon_jinn

Postby Fish and Chips » Tue Jun 05, 2007 5:26 pm

Oh geez, you people.
Fish and Chips

Postby uc pseudonym » Wed Jun 06, 2007 1:53 pm

Alright, new plan for the regulars in the thread: if this is really going to be a repeated problem, just ignore all posts linking to manga sites. They will not just be edited, they will be Disappeared. The posts' wives and children will be sent formal apology letters saying there was an Unfortunate Incident and no one shall ever speak of them again.

On topic: I will likely be rereading Busou Renkin because I vaguely feel like it and have a bit of free time (plus it is at the library). I wish they'd translate this series faster. Though it isn't excellent, in my opinion, I do want to see the resolution of the plot.
uc pseudonym

Postby mai » Fri Jun 08, 2007 12:24 pm

A Midnight Opera 2
My Website [online comic]

Do you find your self worried alot of the time about things that don't always make sense?

Are you experiencing any of these?
• Persistent feelings of sadness, irritability or anxiety
• Overreaction to irritations
• Loss of interest in activities previously enjoyed,
• Sleep too much, or sleep too little
• Unexpected loss or gain of weight
• Tiredness or restlessness
• Slowed movement, thought and/or speech
• Guilt, low self-esteem, feelings of worthlessness
• Inability to concentrate and poor memory
• Loss of motivation
• Feelings of hopelessness
• Suicidal thoughts and/or behavior
• Withdrawal from relationships, anti-social behavior
• Physical aches and pains that seem to have no other cause

If you have a few of the symptoms on this list, you may be suffering from a form of clinical depression there are many sites that offer advice and help.
mai

Postby IantheGecko » Fri Jun 08, 2007 11:32 pm

This close to getting FMA #6 from the library...
"Make a joyful noise to the LORD, all the Earth"
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!
BLALALALALALALALALALALA-WOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!
BANG!
IantheGecko

Postby uc pseudonym » Sat Jun 09, 2007 5:42 pm

Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories v1

Only because I'd like to know a bit more about the middle game in the series. I'm not a fan of this author's work, and unfortunately this volume had nothing so hilariously awful as the "Cid's Day" omake. It did have a rather disturbing preview for a new Tokyopop manga featuring a manga and Disney princesses crossover, though.
uc pseudonym

Postby MasterDias » Sat Jun 09, 2007 7:47 pm

Hitomi no Catoblepas

Really new Jump series. Main character has an interesting ability, but I won't say it's spectacular as of yet. At any rate, we'll see if it lasts.

Also read Claymore #8 and Eyeshield 21 #14 a few days ago.
-----------------------------------------
"Always seek to do good to one another and to all."
1 Thessalonians 5:15

"Every story must have an ending." - Auron - Final Fantasy X

"A small stone may make a ripple at first, but someday it will be a wave." - Wiegraf - Final Fantasy Tactics
MasterDias

Postby Mave » Sun Jun 10, 2007 4:36 am

AirGear (Chapter 75 +) and Yakitate! Japan (Chapter 173+)

The former has great art and dynamic poses although I still don't understand the obsession with the sky and how a whole series could be based on a bunch of ppl fighting with roller blades (A.T...ok whatever, they're roller blades). AG also has a lot of fanservice so I wouldn't immediately recommend it to anyone.

Yakitate!! Japan is very interesting for the food science/cooking enthusiast and for those who love whacko/crazy characters and a lot of puns. I wish I could taste all the breads made.
Mave

Postby jon_jinn » Sun Jun 10, 2007 12:26 pm

Mave wrote:AG also has a lot of fanservice so I wouldn't immediately recommend it to anyone.

what do expect from a manga written by Oh Great! all of his mangas are full of fan service...

anyways, just read Blade of Immortal volume 8.

[SIZE="1"]
- John MacArthur

- Abraham Kuyper

- John Piper

-John Piper

- R.C. Sproul

- Mark Driscoll

- Martin Luther

- John Bunyan

- J.I. Packer[/SIZE]
jon_jinn

Postby Adie » Mon Jun 11, 2007 7:33 pm

Fullmetal Alchemist volume 3.
The One I Love.
Adie

Postby Mave » Tue Jun 12, 2007 7:14 am

jon_jinn wrote:what do expect from a manga written by Oh Great! all of his mangas are full of fan service...

Really? This is my first time reading a manga by Oh Great! <--- whom I thought was a scanlator rather than an official mangaka's pen name eversince I started reading this series. Anyway, I'm willing to overlook the fanservice part, which honestly doesn't bother me too much. It's a bit of waste of talent though...oh well. With that said, I've finally reached Chapter 146.
Mave

Postby uc pseudonym » Tue Jun 12, 2007 5:33 pm

What bothers me about that mangaka (other than his lame pen name, which I prefer not to type) is his lack of plotting. If you've reached 146 then you probably know what I mean. To me it really doesn't feel as if the plot has gone anywhere, other than the usual climbing of the shonen power formula. All the major developments (the re-appearance of Sleeping Forest, for example) have ended without anything significant occurring. And we still haven't seen characters like Spitfire do much of anything.

Tenjo Tenge is much worse, though. The pacing is good, but that has to be one of the worst-told plots I've ever seen.
uc pseudonym

Postby Mave » Tue Jun 12, 2007 5:50 pm

He wrote Tenjo Tenge too? Ok....then I am familiar with some of his other works but I didn't want to follow up on TT because I thought that series has way too much fanservice. Heh.

Yes, I agree about the plot direction of AG being confusing. My fav. part was [spoiler] Ringo vs Ikki, simply because it's nice to see the other cool side of Ringo, Crazy Apple. [/spoiler], which I thought was supposed to the climax of the whole story, so I'm at lost as to what happens after that. There are also some things that are getting more and more bizarre such as the whole God of Death thing and weirder-looking enemies.

That's right, Spitfire hasn't really done much and [spoiler]he's already stepping down as King. What's that all about?! [/spoiler]

Eh....I'm not supposed to discuss in details here, right? Does this deserve another thread? I do have other things about AG to talk about.
Mave

Postby uc pseudonym » Tue Jun 12, 2007 5:54 pm

A thread would be in order, yes. Feel free to make one and I will post there once you do.

In an effort to get the thread back on topic, I have picked up Hitomi no Catoblepas. I'm not fond of the art, but story will ultimately determine how I feel about the series. We have yet to see if that goes anywhere significant.
uc pseudonym

Postby EricTheFred » Tue Jun 12, 2007 8:59 pm

I have recently discovered Sakura Taisen, and I am thoroughly hooked. What a neat little series!

And I'm drumming my fingers impatiently while waiting on my preorder of Yotsubato volume four.
May the Lord bless you and keep you.
May He cause His face to shine upon you.
May He lift up His countenance and grant you peace.

Maokun: Ninjas or Pirates? (Vikings are not a valid answer, sorry)

EricTheFred: Vikings are always a valid answer.

Feel free to visit My Writing.com Portfolio

Largo: "Well Ed, good to see ya. Guess I gotta beat the crap out of you now."

Jamie Hyneman: "It's just another lovely day at the bomb range. Birds are singing, rabbits are hopping about, and soon there's going to be a big explosion."
EricTheFred

Postby Fish and Chips » Tue Jun 12, 2007 11:47 pm

Monster vol. 8
Bleach vols. 1-2

Read through the first two volumes of Bleach at a local bookstore. I can see why so many people enjoy it. The Mangaka is a very talented artist, interesting concepts, and a good stock of characters (thus far, favorites are Rukia, Chad, and Urahara). Shame its prospective length is sort my vampiric garlic. But hey, as long as a bookstore has volumes on the shelves, I'll read them.
Fish and Chips

Postby uc pseudonym » Wed Jun 13, 2007 4:32 pm

Team Medical Dragon

It has some inappropriate content thrown in because it ran in a seinen magazine, but it is very nice to see a medical manga written by someone who actually has an idea of what they're talking about. I've only read the first volume, so any further opinion is pending.

Fish and Chips wrote:Read through the first two volumes of Bleach at a local bookstore. I can see why so many people enjoy it. The Mangaka is a very talented artist, interesting concepts, and a good stock of characters (thus far, favorites are Rukia, Chad, and Urahara). Shame its prospective length is sort my vampiric garlic. But hey, as long as a bookstore has volumes on the shelves, I'll read them.

Being a Shonen Jump title, it does go longer than necessary. But what actually keeps me reading this series is the plot. Midway through, an event occurs that makes you realize that the course of events up to that point, which appeared to be typical shonen story arcs, are actually setup for later things. Unlike, say, Dragonball Z or Naruto, I'm fairly confident that Bleach has a single cohesive plot and will end when it has been completed.
uc pseudonym

Previous Next

Return to Manga and Manga Reviews