Holy crap... A live action Monster!!!

TV, Movies, Sports...you can find it all in here.

Holy crap... A live action Monster!!!

Postby Bobtheduck » Mon May 21, 2007 2:49 am

http://www.movieweb.com/news/63/8463.php

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0469469/

Wow... I know many anime fans are going to be upset because of how long Monster is, but to be honest, 95% of the show can be cut out and they can focus on the main plot (The doctor, the boy / killer, and the girl) and fit it in 3 hours, or better yet 3 separate movies.

I'm excited for this, even if it is a couple years away... I know Speed Racer is coming, but this will be one of the first anime to get remade as an English language movie, and what better anime than Monster? Plus, if this happens, that means Monster will finally be licensed. Maybe they'll put Monster the anime next to this movie on shelves. That would be awesome.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evcNPfZlrZs Watch this movie なう。 It's legal, free... And it's more than its premise. It's not saying Fast Food is good food. Just watch it.
Legend of Crying Bronies: Twilight's a Princess
Bobtheduck

Postby Fish and Chips » Mon May 21, 2007 3:15 am

There's been talk of a Monster film for some time, I see they're finally going through with it.
As part of the deal, Olson will pen a treatment for a sequel, which he also will write.

This vaguely bothers me. Don't mess with Naoki's perfection.
Fish and Chips

Postby uc pseudonym » Mon May 21, 2007 12:52 pm

And where exactly would a sequel go? The manga covers all the loose ends rather well, so any sequel would have to invent new plot elements. That would make it feel like a fabricated sequel for money (...which it would be).

Anyway, I'm not immediately opposed to this. If it captures the essence of Monster without adding anything unnecessary, this will be an adaptation I will be interested in seeing.
uc pseudonym

Postby Bobtheduck » Mon May 21, 2007 2:02 pm

uc pseudonym wrote:And where exactly would a sequel go? The manga covers all the loose ends rather well, so any sequel would have to invent new plot elements. That would make it feel like a fabricated sequel for money (...which it would be).

Well, I sorta hoped it would be planned as a trilogy to begin with. That way, they can cover more of the story. It is a very long story, afterall...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evcNPfZlrZs Watch this movie なう。 It's legal, free... And it's more than its premise. It's not saying Fast Food is good food. Just watch it.
Bobtheduck

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Mon May 21, 2007 2:07 pm

This has been news for a long time XD As for the Sequel, there sort of already is a sequel called "Another Monster".
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby Bobtheduck » Mon May 21, 2007 2:08 pm

Mr. SmartyPants wrote:This has been news for a long time XD

But it hadn't been posted on CAA as far as I can see, so it's new to a lot of people here.
Bobtheduck

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Mon May 21, 2007 2:26 pm

Granted at the time I was one of the few (like two) Monster fans. Either way, it's been tossed around here and there. I'm still anticipating the movie though.
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby Bobtheduck » Mon May 21, 2007 3:42 pm

Mr. SmartyPants wrote:Granted at the time I was one of the few (like two) Monster fans. Either way, it's been tossed around here and there. I'm still anticipating the movie though.

I did a search for Monster and came up with nothing on this... I made sure of that.
Bobtheduck

Postby Roy Mustang » Mon May 21, 2007 4:21 pm

Bobtheduck wrote:I did a search for Monster and came up with nothing on this... I made sure of that.

Don't worry about it. I think it may have came up in the EVA live action thread one time, but there is no thread for the live action Monster movie.

Edit: nevermind, I found it.

http://www.christiananime.net/showthread.php?t=34033&page=3&pp=10

That was the only time that it was ever talk about.

Col. Roy Mustang
Roy Mustang

Postby Fish and Chips » Mon May 21, 2007 5:18 pm

Mr. SmartyPants wrote:This has been news for a long time XD As for the Sequel, there sort of already is a sequel called "Another Monster".

I wouldn't say that's a sequel. My roommate flipped over a translation he found, and it's essentially supplementary to the series, filling in plot holes and backstories, including supposedly revealing the real name of the twins. The book is written like a series of articles from someone reporting in the aftermath of the Johan incident, hence sequel confusion.

I'll double check, but I'm fairly certain this is the case.
Fish and Chips

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Mon May 21, 2007 8:19 pm

Fish and Chips wrote:I wouldn't say that's a sequel. My roommate flipped over a translation he found, and it's essentially supplementary to the series, filling in plot holes and backstories, including supposedly revealing the real name of the twins. The book is written like a series of articles from someone reporting in the aftermath of the Johan incident, hence sequel confusion.

I'll double check, but I'm fairly certain this is the case.

Yeah you're right, hence why I said it's "sort of" a sequel.
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby uc pseudonym » Tue May 22, 2007 12:42 pm

Bobtheduck wrote:Well, I sorta hoped it would be planned as a trilogy to begin with. That way, they can cover more of the story. It is a very long story, afterall...

Using multiple movies to cover the story is fine; it's an invented new story that would worry me. But on the subject of a trilogy, I think they'd have difficulty splitting it up properly. It worked well as a manga, but I think there would be pacing problems over the span of three movies. At least in my opinion, the storyline would be difficult to split into three movies that could stand individually.
uc pseudonym

Postby Fish and Chips » Tue May 22, 2007 4:34 pm

Actually, it might actually do the series better justice to have it cut off at the halfway point (ending with the Schwald Arc) in the first film, then feature the rest of the story in a sequel.
Fish and Chips

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Wed May 23, 2007 11:03 pm

I've only had the privilege of reading the first volume of the manga, but I LOVED Monster. I read it on the recommendation of someone I didn't even know, but it turned out really good. Needless to say, 2009 can't come soon enough for me. I know I haven't experienced the story in its original entirety, but it's hard for me to get ahold of manga most of the time and this would be a satisfactory alternative for me.
You can find out things about the past that you never knew. And from what you've learned, you may see some things differently in the present. You're the one that changes. Not the past.
- Ellone, Final Fantasy VIII

"There's a difference between maliciously offending somebody - on purpose - and somebody being offended by...truth. If you're offended by the truth, that's your problem. I have no obligation to not offend you if I'm speaking the truth. The truth is supposed to offend you; that's how you know you don't got it."
- Brad Stine
the_wolfs_howl

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Fri May 25, 2007 9:41 am

Fish and Chips wrote:Actually, it might actually do the series better justice to have it cut off at the halfway point (ending with the Schwald Arc) in the first film, then feature the rest of the story in a sequel.

[spoiler]You mean when Johan and Schuwald are standing in the burning library, and when he meets Dr. Tenma face to face, but neither have the guts to shoot him?[/spoiler]
I think that would work perfectly.
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby Fish and Chips » Fri May 25, 2007 12:22 pm

Mr. SmartyPants wrote:[spoiler]You mean when Johan and Schuwald are standing in the burning library, and when he meets Dr. Tenma face to face, but neither have the guts to shoot him?[/spoiler]
I think that would work perfectly.

That's THE place.
[spoiler]Or rather, it should end right with Schuwald in the hospital right after that, telling Tenma where to go.[/spoiler]
Fish and Chips

Return to General Entertainment