Favorite Non-Japanese Animation, Past and Present???

TV, Movies, Sports...you can find it all in here.

Postby Fish and Chips » Fri May 04, 2007 1:10 am

Despite the anti-Disney criticism of a certain friend of mine, I still love the majority of their animated feature films up until the Emperor's New Groove, after which they kinda tapered out.

And please tell me I wasn't the only one here raised on Rankin-Bass. The Flight of Dragons, The Hobbit, The Last Unicorn, and at least one other that escapes my memory, all really good dark fantasy. They also pulled all those claymation Christmas specials ABC Family showcases once a year. Also, Sullivan Bluth Studios; American Tail, and the Secret of NIMH. That's all I'm going to say.

Also, I highly enjoy 20th Century Fox's Anastasia, to the point where I can easily forgive its gross historical errors, and I still think (in the face of public opinion) that Freddie the Frog was still a pretty decent film.

As for shows, the Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog, Animaniacs, Batman - the Animated Series, Looney Toons, Pinky and the Brain, the Real Adventures of Johnny Quest and an assortment of old Disney shows. Of course, that was then. Today, I'd say Futurama and (too a certain degree) the Venture Brothers. And maybe Robot Chicken.
Fish and Chips

Postby LandmineLuv » Fri May 04, 2007 7:48 am

Mine are:
Aqua Teen Hunger Force
Ren and Stimpy
South Park
Beavis and Butt-Head
Fat Albert
Invader Zim
Bots Master
Beast Wars

Films:
The Last Unicorn
Beavis and Butt-Head Do America
South Park Bigger, Better, and Uncut
LandmineLuv

Location: Rotting in the base, 'cuz I'm not fully recovered yet.>_<

Postby Sheol777 » Fri May 04, 2007 10:21 am

Fish and Chips wrote:Of course, that was then. Today, I'd say Futurama and (too a certain degree) the Venture Brothers. And maybe Robot Chicken.

You verify the fact to me daily that we need to hang out.
Image........... My Deep Space Nine Podcast ........... My Anime List...........
Sheol777

Postby mitsuki lover » Fri May 04, 2007 1:57 pm

Currently the only non-anime I have been watching is reruns of W.I.T.C.H.
on Toon Disney. :thumb:
Mainly because I only saw it up to a certain point before Disney put the second season on Saturday mornings.
mitsuki lover

Postby Fish and Chips » Fri May 04, 2007 4:36 pm

Sheol777 wrote:You verify the fact to me daily that we need to hang out.

That's how I roll.
Fish and Chips

Postby Danderson » Fri May 04, 2007 6:05 pm

Mainly the old Disney stuff...

...After Treasure Planet, there really were no more good Disney Animated films....

...Disney, you disapoint me...You threw away all the good artists and storys for unecesary sequals and cheap television shows...
Danderson

Postby Fish and Chips » Fri May 04, 2007 6:09 pm

I just realized I forgot the Triplets of Belleville. Therefore, I fail.
Fish and Chips

Postby Ichigo_89 » Tue May 08, 2007 4:03 pm

movies:
The Iron Giant
Mulan

TV:
Batman Beyond
Spider-Man (90's)
Big Guy & Rusty
Dexter's Lab
Samurai Jack
Ren & Stimpy
Futurama
BEAST WARS
Gumby (lol)
Ichigo_89

Postby Htom Sirveaux » Tue May 08, 2007 7:04 pm

Past: X-Men. I mean the old early- to mid-'90s X-men, not the newer "X-Men Evolution" series. That was crap. I am seriously ticked that it hasn't come out on DVD yet.

Present: Family Guy. I'm afraid The Simpsons is just no longer funny. It hit its stride around season 8 and declined after Season 10.
If this post seems too utterly absurd or ridiculous to be taken seriously, don't. :)
Htom Sirveaux

Postby ilikegir33 » Sat May 12, 2007 1:30 pm

Movies:
Any Pixar film (esp. Monsters Inc and Nemo)
every old Disney animated film (LION KING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

TV:
ATHF (I saw the movie 2, it was LOL hilarious)
Sheep in the Big City (they gotta show this one again OR ELSE! It was really funny)
Invader ZIM (look at my username!!)
Old School Transformers (not the unnecessary anime sequels)
Batman Beyond (IT ROX! And the movie is even better)
Ren and Stimpy
Rocko's Modern Life
Cow and Chicken
Ed, Edd, 'n Eddy (LOL)
90's Spiderman and X-Men
Super Robot Monkey Team Hyper Force GO!!!
The Simpsons
Family Guy
Futurama "Bite my shiny metal...!"
Samurai Jack
Moral Orel
Sonic the Hedgehog
Super Mario Bros. Super Show
:dizzy: [color="Orange"]People are so crazy these days. If you are one of those crazy ppl, then copy this into your sig![/color]:dizzy:
MOES. "Take off every sig for great justice"
@)}~`,~ Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks To All The CAA Moderators.
What I'll be reviewing in the future:
SoulTaker (soon to start)
Whoever loves discipline loves knowledge, but he who hates correction is stupid. Proverbs 12:1
ilikegir33

Postby AsianBlossom » Sun May 13, 2007 8:35 am

Danderson wrote:...Disney, you disapoint me...You threw away all the good artists and storys for unecesary sequals and cheap television shows...

Yeah, and now we're only going to get computer-animated movies...where's the art in that?? (Well, okay, to some degree it's art, like in the case of Pixar, but seriously...that's another reason why I like anime)
RESPECT THE UNBORN AND CHOOSE LIFE...your mother did.

"Do not underestimate the power of the muffin! The muffin will smite all those who question it! The muffin will crush all nay-sayers! He who controls the muffin shall control the entire world!" -Taishi, Comic Party English Dub
AsianBlossom

Postby beau99 » Sun May 13, 2007 9:36 pm

AsianBlossom wrote:Yeah, and now we're only going to get computer-animated movies...where's the art in that?? (Well, okay, to some degree it's art, like in the case of Pixar, but seriously...that's another reason why I like anime)

You'll be happy. Meet the Robinsons is the last computer animated movie made by Disney.

John Lasseter pretty much ordered them to return to traditional animation and leave the computer animation to Pixar from now on.

ilikegir33 wrote:Moral Orel

You have good taste.
beau99

Postby Radical Dreamer » Sun May 13, 2007 10:34 pm

beau99 wrote:You'll be happy. Meet the Robinsons is the last computer animated movie made by Disney.

John Lasseter pretty much ordered them to return to traditional animation and leave the computer animation to Pixar from now on.

If that's true, then you have just made this member EXTREMELY happy. What I wouldn't give to see a well done, traditionally animated film by Disney again. :D
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby MomoAdachi » Sun May 13, 2007 10:49 pm

I'm glad so many posters on this thread aren't all anti-Disney. On most anime boards and chatrooms, it's heresy to like American animation in general, but especially Disney.
Non-Christian Anti-Hentai Grrl
#1 Dubbed Sailor Moon Fan!
#1 Peach Girl Fan!

98% of the teenage population does or have tried smoking pot. If you are one of the 2% who haven't, copy or paste this in your signature.
MomoAdachi

Postby mechana2015 » Sun May 13, 2007 11:55 pm

beau99 wrote:John Lasseter pretty much ordered them to return to traditional animation and leave the computer animation to Pixar from now on.

If this is true I owe Lasseter a plate of cookies and a hug. A pox on the people that decided that Disney should follow the CGA trend.

My Deviantart
"MOES. I can has Sane Sig now?"
mechana2015

Postby Raiden no Kishi » Mon May 14, 2007 6:18 am

AsianBlossom wrote:Yeah, and now we're only going to get computer-animated movies...where's the art in that?? (Well, okay, to some degree it's art, like in the case of Pixar, but seriously...that's another reason why I like anime)

Actually, CG animation takes as much work as "traditional" art and animation. It's just as much art as anything else. It's the same reason finishing lineart in Photoshop is art as much as using paint or colored pencils. Both require skill and hard work.

.rai//
[raiden's liveJournal]

[color="Indigo"]"I believe whatever doesn't kill you simply makes you . . . stranger."[/color]

Strollin' in at dawn, wakin' up at noon's gonna catch up to me soon
'Just sleep when you're dead' is what I said 'cause I'm jumpin' off the moon
Raiden no Kishi

Location: Ticking away/The hours that make up the dull day . . .

Postby AsianBlossom » Mon May 14, 2007 7:45 am

Well, yeah, but it's almost like they were destroying one artform for the sake of a newer and more innovative technique...and they had decided to buy Pixar, whose sole work is CGI.

But still, I must concur with all those who are hoping that this is true as well...JL obviously knows what he's doing (he's also friends with Miyazaki).

"Do not underestimate the power of the muffin! The muffin will smite all those who question it! The muffin will crush all nay-sayers! He who controls the muffin shall control the entire world!" -Taishi, Comic Party English Dub
AsianBlossom

Postby Raiden no Kishi » Mon May 14, 2007 5:53 pm

AsianBlossom wrote:Well, yeah, but it's almost like they were destroying one artform for the sake of a newer and more innovative technique...and they had decided to buy Pixar, whose sole work is CGI.

You can't destroy an artform unless all examples of it cease to exist and no-one practices it. Trust me, traditional animation isn't dead. There are still plenty of people who like 2D animation [in fact, you'll find that the vast majority of people here do]. In fact, many hand-animated shows [Gankutsuou, Zoids, Last Exile, and Fullmetal Alchemist: Conqueror of Shambala come most readily to mind, although there are more] integrate CGI for a new, interesting take on animation. It's neither worse nor better ~ just different.

Besides, if Disney does go to pure CGI [something I doubt] and you can't support that, go elsewhere for animation. That's the way capitalism works ~ a business can only make money on what people will give money for. ^_^

.rai//
[raiden's liveJournal]

[color="Indigo"]"I believe whatever doesn't kill you simply makes you . . . stranger."[/color]

Strollin' in at dawn, wakin' up at noon's gonna catch up to me soon
'Just sleep when you're dead' is what I said 'cause I'm jumpin' off the moon
Raiden no Kishi

Location: Ticking away/The hours that make up the dull day . . .

Postby beau99 » Mon May 14, 2007 10:08 pm

AsianBlossom wrote:Well, yeah, but it's almost like they were destroying one artform for the sake of a newer and more innovative technique...and they had decided to buy Pixar, whose sole work is CGI.

But still, I must concur with all those who are hoping that this is true as well...JL obviously knows what he's doing (he's also friends with Miyazaki).

They didn't buy Pixar, they merged (and only because Lasseter is Pixar's CEO).
beau99

Postby bigsleepj » Mon May 14, 2007 10:31 pm

Raiden no Kishi wrote:Besides, if Disney does go to pure CGI [something I doubt] and you can't support that, go elsewhere for animation. That's the way capitalism works ~ a business can only make money on what people will give money for. ^_^

They actually have abandoned their traditonally drawn animation a few years ago but after Pixar and Disney merged John Lasseter (director of Toy Story and a big wig at Pixar) said he wants to try and revive hand-drawn animation again.

Mechana wrote:If this is true I owe Lasseter a plate of cookies and a hug. A pox on the people that decided that Disney should follow the CGA trend.

That would be Michael Eisner. When Eisner became head of Walt Disney studios in the 1980s, before it's animation "revival" (starting with Little Mermaid and Beauty and the Beast) he seriously considered doing away entirely with Disney's animation department. It's all about profits and the animation wing wasn't making any at that time. When the hand-drawn animated movies ceased making money they blamed it's 2D style. Yet some of Disney's 3D animated movies that followed weren't doing that good either. So... where does the problem lie then?
Unwise Toasting Sermon

The Sweet Smell of CAA
The Avatar Christian Ronin designed for me
An Avatar KhakiBlue gave to me
The avatar Termyt made for me

KhakiBlueSocks wrote:"I'm going to make you a prayer request you can't refuse..." Cue the violins. :lol:

Current Avatar by SirThinks2much - thank you very much! :thumb::)
bigsleepj

Postby AsianBlossom » Thu May 17, 2007 12:31 pm

I know. They were just looking to place the blame somewhere. Hm...have they considered that maybe the stories just weren't up to Disney's past standards? I mean, what makes a Disney movie great?

AsianBlossom

Postby mitsuki lover » Sun May 20, 2007 4:54 pm

It's really the name.People go to see a Disney film because it has Disney in the name.

As far as it goes with Toon Disney/JETIX,I think whoever was writing the scripts for
W.I.T.C.H. season two swallowed a Sue Grafton pill.I mean all the episodes,as far as I have seen them,have been titled like:A is for Anonymous,B is for Betrayal,etc.
mitsuki lover

Postby lordoftempest » Fri May 25, 2007 4:16 pm

My favorite non-japanese cartoon?

Beavis and Butthead. Oh, the memories :D
lordoftempest

Postby Danderson » Wed Jun 13, 2007 7:48 am

Forgot to mention Ice Age...

I just listened to the soundtrack again and I forgot how emotional the story was...
Danderson

Postby teigeki_calesa » Fri Jun 15, 2007 6:08 am

I grew up with mostly Disney stuff and a LOT of cartoons, so I have no problem with Western. Heck, they are my first obsessions before anime.

I can't remember them though (except the 90s cartoon version of the European comic Tintin) ; since all of them were swept under the rug of oblivion ever since anime/manga came along. But now, I think I'm beginning to be a tad too saturated of anime and decided to be a casual viewer of all animations shows instead--and ended up becoming currently hooked to this obscure Canadian cartoon Class of the Titans. A Greekified version of shonen anime, minus the wangst.
Excuse my blinking, just got too many shifts this week.
teigeki_calesa

Postby Okami » Fri Jun 15, 2007 7:32 am

Much of the old Nicktoons!

Catdog, The Angry Beavers, Rocko's Modern Life, KABLAM, Doug, and others that I can't think of right now ^_^
~*~ Blessed to be Ryosuke's wife!
"We will be her church, the body of Christ coming alive to
meet her needs, to write love on her arms." ~ Jamie Tworkowski
Okami

Postby Sammy Boy » Sat Jun 16, 2007 8:49 am

It's hard to decide... but I liked:

1. Transformers (yes, okay, so it's kinda Japanese)
2. Thundercats (and I know, it was drawn by people in Topcraft who'd later form part of Studio Ghibli, but still...)
3. He-Man
4. MASK
5. Defenders of the Earth
Sammy Boy

Postby mitsuki lover » Sat Jun 16, 2007 1:42 pm

The new He-Man that was shown a few years back on Cartoon Network wasn't too bad.Though they did pull it before they got to the end of it.
mitsuki lover

Postby Freezair » Mon Jul 23, 2007 2:38 pm

I haven't read this entire thread, for which I feel really bad. FHowever, I promise I will once I reply!

Cartoons (Retro, new, all in one):
Rugrats (possibly my favorite 'toon of all time; it was really good back in the day)
The Angry Beavers (Wah nah naah nah nah nah nah nah naaah)
The Super Mario Bros. Super Show (Hey, paisanos! Is that how you spell it? Yes, there were live actiony bits, I know.)
Avatar: The Last Airbender (You don't get depth like this in cartoons anymore. Oh, wait...)
Xiaolin Showdown (GON YI TANPAI!)
Rocko's Modern Life (It is only on re-watching this as an adult that I realize how weird this show was.)
The Flintstones (Classic and timeless.)
My Dad the Rock Star (This show is brilliant and I regret that nobody ever watched it. The characters are amazing. Naive rock stars? Bullies that quote Shakespere? Awesome!)
The Care Bears (CARE BEAR STARE! ...Why yes, Virginia, I am a dork.)
Muppet Babies (They make your dreams come true! You have to love them!)
Lilo & Stitch: The Series (Very different from the movie, but it really makes me want an Alien Experiment RPG a la Pokemon.)
Danny Phantom (He's a phantom. Whoosh.)
Doug (Bangin' on a trash can... The Disney version very much does not count.)
The New Adventures of Winnie-the-Pooh (Like with Rocko, it wasn't until I watched this one as a grown-up that I fully appreciated how WEIRD it is. The land of milk and honey! The land of milk and honey! WHEEEE!)
Rupert (All that I yet wonder is why it got aired here in the states on Nick Jr.)
Code Lyoko (There are people who do not like this show. Then there are people like me, who need to watch the episode "Plagued" with the lights ON.)
Foster's Home For Imaginary Friends (There's a scene in which they believe the house is haunted. Wilt cries out, "Who are we gonna call?" Coco says, "CO COCO!" And Wilt says, "Naw, they went out of business years ago.)

Movies:

The Hobbit (My FAVORITE movie when I was a wee one. Yet I could never make it through the book.)
Lilo & Stitch (A marvelous movie that somehow manages to be the most realistic Disney movie ever while still having aliens and Men in Black.)
Aladdin (You ain't never had a friend like me!)
Finding Nemo (This movie gets my vote for Best American Animated Film EVAR. The ending gets me choked up every time I watch it.)
Fern Gully (So it's a bit preachy, yeh, but then you have Tim Curry as the Spirit of Disease and Pestilance, and singing leeches, so that makes up for it.)
Yellow Submarine (Explosions... music... submarines... Pepperland... BLUE MEANIES!)
Alice in Wonderland (How do you get to Wonderland...?)
Tarzan (The Disney version.) (No, it's not perfect. But I'm a sucker for Phil Collins...)
The Incredibles (The's just something great about a supervillain who claims he's "geekin' out" about a hero's moves.)
A Bug's Life (After watching this movie, I could never swat at another bug again.)
The Emperor's New Groove (The TV show is rubbishy, but the movie itself has vibe and pop and squirrrrelllllssss.)
The Flight of Dragons (Even as a kid I knew dragons were cool.)
The Secret of NIMH (Really scared me as a kid, though.)
Atlantis: The Lost Empire (This is another movie that gets ragged on all the time. I just let myself have fun with it.)
The Iron Giant (Brad Bird = Genius. Pure, unadulterated genius. This movie is marvelous in some many ways and like NOBODY saw it, though for a couple years there Cartoon Network played this movie every Thanksgiving, which is actually a genius move.)
The Brave Little Toaster (As a child, the song "Worthless" never did anything to me. Now that song makes me cry whenever I hear it.)
The Nightmare Before Christmas (The fact that this movie is associated with gothiness weirds me out, because it's such an uplifting and optimistic movie. Jack is nothing if not the world's biggest optimist.)

Hmm, can't think of any more right now. I'm sure I will later.

EDIT: I sure did think of some more.
I am going to hypnotize you with the Dancing Banana so that you all think my signature is wonderful and witty.

:dance:
Freezair

Postby Cardinalman » Mon Jul 23, 2007 3:07 pm

x-men
spiderman
fantastic 4
Cardinalman

Previous Next

Return to General Entertainment