What Manga are you reading?

Post about anime's sister, manga in here. Manga reviews accepted in here as well.

Postby uc pseudonym » Fri May 11, 2007 12:14 pm

After both Tenjou Tenge and Air Gear, I've become convinced that mangaka really doesn't know how to plot things. Tenjou Tenge changes genre and focus multiple times without any purpose as far as I can tell. You think the plot is confusing now? It gets much worse.

As for the anime, it ends before the series gets anywhere. Can't tell you about the content, however, as I haven't bothered to watch it myself. If it has well-animated fights tell me.

I should also mention I sampled volume 5 of Golgo 13. I'd have to be fairly bored to read more of the series, but I wouldn't call it a bad one.
uc pseudonym

Postby jon_jinn » Fri May 11, 2007 4:52 pm

uc pseudonym wrote:After both Tenjou Tenge and Air Gear, I've become convinced that mangaka really doesn't know how to plot things. Tenjou Tenge changes genre and focus multiple times without any purpose as far as I can tell. You think the plot is confusing now? It gets much worse.

that's what i was most worried about; the plot getting more confusing. once the flashback began, things started to get out of hand for me in terms of understanding the story. Oh Great's! artwork is pretty nice. i really like the character designs and such, but yeah. the plot might be his/her (???) greatest weakness.
[SIZE="4"]*FASTING FROM CAA (9/25/08 - ???)*[/SIZE]

[SIZE="1"]
"Sometimes we don't present the Gospel well enough for the non-elect to reject it."
- John MacArthur

"In the total expanse of the human life, there is not a single square inch of which Christ, who alone is sovereign, does not declare, 'That is mine'."
- Abraham Kuyper

"God the great Creator of all things doth uphold, direct, dispose, and govern all creatures, actions, and things, from the greatest even to the least, by His most wise and holy providence, according to His infallible foreknowledge and the free and immutable counsel of His own will, to the praise of the glory of His wisdom, power, justice, goodness, and mercy."
- Westminister Confession of Faith (Chapter 5, Section 1)

"The wisdom of God has found a way for the love of God to deliver sinners from the wrath of God all the while upholding the righteousness of God!!"
- John Piper

"Grace is the pleasure of God to magnify the worth of God by giving sinners the right and power to delight in God without obscuring the glory of God!"
-John Piper

"The very One from Whom we need to be saved, is the One Who has saved us."
- R.C. Sproul

"All of Christian life is ceaseless worship of God the Father, through the mediatorship of God the Son, by the indwelling power of God the Spirit, doing what God commands in Scripture, not doing what God forbids in Scripture, in culturally contextualized ways, for the furtherance of the Gospel, when both gathered for adoration, and scattered for action, in joyous response to God's glorious grace."
- Mark Driscoll

"Believers do not pray with the view of informing God about things unknown to Him, or of exciting Him to do His duty, or of urging Him as though He were reluctant. On the contrary, they pray in order that they may arouse themselves to seek Him, that they may exercise their faith in meditating on His promises, that they may relieve themselves from their anxieties by pouring them into His bosom; in a word, that they may declare that from Him alone they hope and expect, both for themselves and for others, all good things."
- Martin Luther

"I have to tell you first that I am ready to die. I have put my affairs in order. Your supreme weapon is killing. My supreme weapon is dying, because when you kill me, people all over Romania will read my books and believe on the God that I preach - even more than they do now."
- Dr. Joseph Ton, the exiled Romanian pastor (quoted by James Montgomery Boice)

"The best prayer I ever prayed had enough sin in it to condemn the whole world."
- John Bunyan

"If the Christian has lost sight of Calvary, that shows that he has lost his way."
- J.I. Packer[/SIZE]
jon_jinn

Postby Adie » Sat May 12, 2007 6:02 pm

Death Note volume 1.
Fruits Basket volume 5.
Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE volumes 6-7.
Adie

Postby KBMaster » Sat May 12, 2007 8:31 pm

Ouran High School Host Club Chapter 5
KBMaster

Postby jon_jinn » Sat May 12, 2007 8:55 pm

rose hip zero volume 2.

[SIZE="1"]
"Sometimes we don't present the Gospel well enough for the non-elect to reject it."
- John MacArthur

"In the total expanse of the human life, there is not a single square inch of which Christ, who alone is sovereign, does not declare, 'That is mine'."
- Abraham Kuyper

"God the great Creator of all things doth uphold, direct, dispose, and govern all creatures, actions, and things, from the greatest even to the least, by His most wise and holy providence, according to His infallible foreknowledge and the free and immutable counsel of His own will, to the praise of the glory of His wisdom, power, justice, goodness, and mercy."

"The wisdom of God has found a way for the love of God to deliver sinners from the wrath of God all the while upholding the righteousness of God!!"
- John Piper

"Grace is the pleasure of God to magnify the worth of God by giving sinners the right and power to delight in God without obscuring the glory of God!"
-John Piper

- R.C. Sproul

"All of Christian life is ceaseless worship of God the Father, through the mediatorship of God the Son, by the indwelling power of God the Spirit, doing what God commands in Scripture, not doing what God forbids in Scripture, in culturally contextualized ways, for the furtherance of the Gospel, when both gathered for adoration, and scattered for action, in joyous response to God's glorious grace."
- Mark Driscoll

"Believers do not pray with the view of informing God about things unknown to Him, or of exciting Him to do His duty, or of urging Him as though He were reluctant. On the contrary, they pray in order that they may arouse themselves to seek Him, that they may exercise their faith in meditating on His promises, that they may relieve themselves from their anxieties by pouring them into His bosom; in a word, that they may declare that from Him alone they hope and expect, both for themselves and for others, all good things."
- Martin Luther

"I have to tell you first that I am ready to die. I have put my affairs in order. Your supreme weapon is killing. My supreme weapon is dying, because when you kill me, people all over Romania will read my books and believe on the God that I preach - even more than they do now."

"The best prayer I ever prayed had enough sin in it to condemn the whole world."
- John Bunyan

"If the Christian has lost sight of Calvary, that shows that he has lost his way."
- J.I. Packer[/SIZE]
jon_jinn

Postby Fish and Chips » Sun May 13, 2007 11:28 am

Pluto vol. 4-5

More brilliance by Naoki Urasawa. How many people can write a noir based off Astro Boy, and write it well? At least one, let me tell you that.
Fish and Chips

Postby jon_jinn » Sun May 13, 2007 3:09 pm

Fish and Chips wrote:Pluto vol. 4-5

More brilliance by Naoki Urasawa. How many people can write a noir based off Astro Boy, and write it well? At least one, let me tell you that.

was urasawa a big fan of astro boy or something? i mean, it would seem out of place to do a manga series/spin-off/sequal on some manga written by another author...

[SIZE="1"]
- John MacArthur

- Abraham Kuyper

- John Piper

-John Piper

- R.C. Sproul

- Mark Driscoll

- Martin Luther

- John Bunyan

- J.I. Packer[/SIZE]
jon_jinn

Postby Fish and Chips » Sun May 13, 2007 5:00 pm

jon_jinn wrote:was urasawa a big fan of astro boy or something? i mean, it would seem out of place to do a manga series/spin-off/sequal on some manga written by another author...

I don't know the full details beind the series' conception, but if I had to guess, I'd say that Naoki Urasawa is paying homage to Osamu Tezuka by retelling ihs old story with his new twist. Urasawa's changed it enough in plot, art, and details to make it his own, but Tezuka's influence is still present.

Also, I think you need to remember that Urasawa was a kid too once. Is the guy who wrote something like 20th Century Boys likely to have read and enjoyed Astro Boy? Yes. Urasawa still remembers what it means to be a kid, I think. And Osamu Tezuka was essentially Walt Disney for the Japanese, and so there's really no way any Mangaka over there wouldn't know his name or his work anyway.

Of course, the fact that Urasawa can pull this off says volumes for his skill, beyond what 20th Century Boys and Monster had already established. Pluto itself is not necessarily better than them (and it's certainly shaping up to be shorter), but it proves what he can do.
Fish and Chips

Postby jon_jinn » Sun May 13, 2007 5:13 pm

sadly, i call myself an Urasawa fan, but i have yet to start on this series. but there are actually a lot of Urasawa mangas that i have never tried...

[SIZE="1"]
- John MacArthur

- Abraham Kuyper

- John Piper

-John Piper

- R.C. Sproul

- Mark Driscoll

- Martin Luther

- John Bunyan

- J.I. Packer[/SIZE]
jon_jinn

Postby Fish and Chips » Sun May 13, 2007 6:43 pm

jon_jinn wrote:sadly, i call myself an Urasawa fan, but i have yet to start on this series. but there are actually a lot of Urasawa mangas that i have never tried...

Well, Pluto can be obscure to track down, so I totally understand. And further more, before his seinen works, I know he dabbled in some feel-good comedy series, which doesn't strike me as his style at all, so I wouldn't necessarily consider them a must-read for the fans won over by his seinen Mangas.
Fish and Chips

Postby Kisa » Mon May 14, 2007 12:42 pm

Re-reading Magic Knights Rayearth 1 and 2 after seeing the manga recently ^^
This story is a work of art! I cannot recommend it enough!
Romans 12:2
Kisa

Postby Ichigo_89 » Mon May 14, 2007 3:28 pm

BLAME! vol.5

Tsutomu Nihei has NO equal, my friends. none
Ichigo_89

Postby jon_jinn » Sat May 19, 2007 7:27 am

Mar volume 1
Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind volume 1

[SIZE="1"]
- John MacArthur

- Abraham Kuyper

- John Piper

-John Piper

- R.C. Sproul

- Mark Driscoll

- Martin Luther

- John Bunyan

- J.I. Packer[/SIZE]
jon_jinn

Postby jon_jinn » Sat May 19, 2007 11:12 am

Blade of Immortal volumes 3 and 4.

[SIZE="1"]
- John MacArthur

- Abraham Kuyper

- John Piper

-John Piper

- R.C. Sproul

- Mark Driscoll

- Martin Luther

- John Bunyan

- J.I. Packer[/SIZE]
jon_jinn

Postby mai » Sun May 20, 2007 7:31 am

Vampire Knight 2
I really enjoy this series, though there are plenty of things that annoy me it continues to stay exiting and dramatic.
My Website [online comic]

Do you find your self worried alot of the time about things that don't always make sense?

Are you experiencing any of these?
• Persistent feelings of sadness, irritability or anxiety
• Overreaction to irritations
• Loss of interest in activities previously enjoyed,
• Sleep too much, or sleep too little
• Unexpected loss or gain of weight
• Tiredness or restlessness
• Slowed movement, thought and/or speech
• Guilt, low self-esteem, feelings of worthlessness
• Inability to concentrate and poor memory
• Loss of motivation
• Feelings of hopelessness
• Suicidal thoughts and/or behavior
• Withdrawal from relationships, anti-social behavior
• Physical aches and pains that seem to have no other cause

If you have a few of the symptoms on this list, you may be suffering from a form of clinical depression there are many sites that offer advice and help.
mai

Postby Fiore teh Duck » Mon May 21, 2007 2:13 am

Death Note, Bleach....wow I'm never gonna finish Bleach...

Chrono Crusade (I have all the volumes, I just don't want to read 8 u_u!!!!)

Oh and Saikano.
Fiore teh Duck

Postby jon_jinn » Tue May 22, 2007 5:47 pm

Blade of Immortal volume 5.

[SIZE="1"]
- John MacArthur

- Abraham Kuyper

- John Piper

-John Piper

- R.C. Sproul

- Mark Driscoll

- Martin Luther

- John Bunyan

- J.I. Packer[/SIZE]
jon_jinn

Postby KeybladeWarrior » Wed May 23, 2007 8:51 am

Finishing up Rurouni Kenshin vol. 6
@)}~`,~ Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks, To All
The CAA Moderators.

"YEAH TOAST! TOCAA!"
KeybladeWarrior

Postby dying2live4Him » Wed May 23, 2007 10:46 am

Aishiteruze Baby Volume 5 :)
dying2live4Him

Postby LandmineLuv » Wed May 23, 2007 10:55 am

The Wallflower vol. 1.
Not right now, kiddo. It just makes me too sad.
LandmineLuv

Location: Rotting in the base, 'cuz I'm not fully recovered yet.>_<

Postby jon_jinn » Fri May 25, 2007 5:35 pm

Blade of Immortal volume 6

[SIZE="1"]
- John MacArthur

- Abraham Kuyper

- John Piper

-John Piper

- R.C. Sproul

- Mark Driscoll

- Martin Luther

- John Bunyan

- J.I. Packer[/SIZE]
jon_jinn

Postby Tenshi no Ai » Sat May 26, 2007 2:44 pm

Just finished Furuba vol 13... thought that was supposed to be the volume with the BIG spoiler in it (which I'm already aware of), but I guess not...
神 は、 その 独り 子 を お与え に なった ほど に 世 お愛 された。
独り 子 を 信じる 者 が 一人 も滅 ひない で, 永遠 の 命 お得る ため で ある。

ヨハネ 3:16
Tenshi no Ai

Postby uc pseudonym » Sat May 26, 2007 6:00 pm

Mai-Otome

And I wish I hadn't. I have yet to like anything in this chain, so I have no plans to read any more of them.
uc pseudonym

Postby Fish and Chips » Sat May 26, 2007 9:23 pm

Reading some more of JoJo's Bizarre Adventure. Per usual, the quality of the series fluxes greatly depending on the nature of the antagonists at the time, but more often then not tends to range from good to decent.
Fish and Chips

Postby jon_jinn » Mon May 28, 2007 8:21 pm

Blade of Immortal volume 7.

[SIZE="1"]
- John MacArthur

- Abraham Kuyper

- John Piper

-John Piper

- R.C. Sproul

- Mark Driscoll

- Martin Luther

- John Bunyan

- J.I. Packer[/SIZE]
jon_jinn

Postby KeybladeWarrior » Mon May 28, 2007 8:39 pm

Rurouni Kenshin vol. 9
@)}~`,~ Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks, To All
The CAA Moderators.

"YEAH TOAST! TOCAA!"
KeybladeWarrior

Postby Zeonic Freak » Tue May 29, 2007 7:09 pm

Currently into Gunsmith Cats Burst that was released not to long ago...
Zeonic Freak

Postby uc pseudonym » Thu May 31, 2007 1:58 pm

Further Rave Master. I am enjoying it somewhat more, but I'm appalled by some of the handling at the end of the Gale vs King part. He's very blunt about moving the story to end at this point and then changing it to continue. This is not something of which I approve. Not that it taints my reading experience, it was actually more amusing than irritating.
uc pseudonym

Postby kryptech » Thu May 31, 2007 4:06 pm

Bleach vol 18 *finally* came in at the library. It was a bit tough remembering the myriad of characters after a lengthy delay between vols 17 and 18. Who knows when I'll get my hands on vol 19...
"Everybody's weird in their own special way." - P.V.
"Never refuse a breath mint." - my dad
"The UAC is making safer worlds through superior firepower." - Doom 3
"This world is a great sculptor's shop. We are the statues and there is a rumour going round the shop that some of us are some day going to come to life." - C.S. Lewis, Mere Christianity

"I'm too cool to scroll. -- MOES."
kryptech

Postby Ichigo_89 » Thu May 31, 2007 7:07 pm

BLAME! vol.10
Ichigo_89

Previous Next

Return to Manga and Manga Reviews