Stephen Colbert

TV, Movies, Sports...you can find it all in here.

Stephen Colbert

Postby Jaltus-bot » Fri May 11, 2007 8:52 pm

Anyone have any thoughts on Stephen Colbert?
When I feel blue, I start breathing again.

Asdvadz hedut ullah! (W. Armenian, "May God bless you!")

It's cosplay, get used to it.

"A hero need not speak. For when he is gone, the world will speak for him."

"One of the nice things about diseases of the brain is they tend to slip your mind." Colbert
Jaltus-bot

Postby Cognitive Gear » Fri May 11, 2007 9:06 pm

I love his comedy. The man is a genius. I only wish that I had cable so I could watch The Colbert Report and The Daily Show.
[font="Tahoma"][SIZE="2"]"It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things."

-Terry Pratchett[/SIZE][/font]
Cognitive Gear

Postby Danderson » Fri May 11, 2007 9:17 pm

His Star Wars green screen challenge that happened awhile back was amazing...

...Don't have any links, but I know they're vids all over youtube that feature many diffrent submissions to this challenge including one by George Lucas himself....
Danderson

Postby bigsleepj » Fri May 11, 2007 9:42 pm

I know not him for his show has not graced our screens. A pox on ye! ;) :grin:
Unwise Toasting Sermon

The Sweet Smell of CAA
The Avatar Christian Ronin designed for me
An Avatar KhakiBlue gave to me
The avatar Termyt made for me

KhakiBlueSocks wrote:"I'm going to make you a prayer request you can't refuse..." Cue the violins. :lol:

Current Avatar by SirThinks2much - thank you very much! :thumb::)
bigsleepj

Postby Nate » Fri May 11, 2007 11:43 pm

I think he rocks. And if I'm forced to vote in the 2008 election, I support the Stewart/Colbert ticket all the way.

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby Shao Feng-Li » Sat May 12, 2007 4:17 am

His show is hilarious XD
Shao Feng-Li

Postby WrestlingOtaku » Sat May 12, 2007 5:26 am

I may not agree with all his views politically, but he still makes me laugh. The sign of a great comedian. XD
WrestlingOtaku

Postby Stephen » Sat May 12, 2007 10:13 am

I dig his stuff. I will probably be voting for him with Nate.
Stephen

Postby Tommy » Sat May 12, 2007 12:01 pm

He has some funny stuff out there.
Tommy

Postby uc pseudonym » Sat May 12, 2007 12:10 pm

Probably my favorite secular comedian. Clever guy.

It's also nice to see some of his quotes on the subject of religion (I can't find online copies at the moment). But in one of those that I recall, he speaks very plainly about his intent to be to make fun of perversions of Christianity as opposed to the living Church itself. He teaches Sunday school as well. It is always interesting to see the interplay between the religious views of his character and his real opinions.

bigsleepj wrote:I know not him for his show has not graced our screens. A pox on ye!

You could find quite a number of his segments on YouTube and the Comedy Central website.
uc pseudonym

Postby Jaltus-bot » Sat May 12, 2007 3:12 pm

uc pseudonym wrote:Probably my favorite secular comedian. Clever guy.

It's also nice to see some of his quotes on the subject of religion (I can't find online copies at the moment). But in one of those that I recall, he speaks very plainly about his intent to be to make fun of perversions of Christianity as opposed to the living Church itself. He teaches Sunday school as well. It is always interesting to see the interplay between the religious views of his character and his real opinions.

You could find quite a number of his segments on YouTube and the Comedy Central website.

Here is where Colbert recited the Nicean Creed. http://www.comedycentral.com/sitewide/media_player/play.jhtml?itemId=59606

"One of the nice things about diseases of the brain is they tend to slip your mind." Colbert
Jaltus-bot

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Sun May 13, 2007 9:02 am

I absolutely love that man.
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby Fish and Chips » Sun May 13, 2007 9:55 am

Stephen Colbert is a man among men.
Fish and Chips

Postby Jih » Sun May 13, 2007 10:50 am

Yet another funny guy, that's it.
Jih

Postby Fish and Chips » Sun May 13, 2007 11:01 am

Jih wrote:Yet another funny guy, that's it.

Good comedy is worth it's weight in gold. And not to mention difficult to write or come up with on the fly. So no, I wouldn't say "That's it."
Fish and Chips

Postby uc pseudonym » Sun May 13, 2007 2:25 pm

Unless you meant that clause differently (I can see other interpretations), I'll have to disagree as well. Even among good comedians, Colbert distinguishes himself by also being satirical. I'd say good satire is rarer and more valuable, because it also says something significant about the world.

Jaltus-bot wrote:Here is where Colbert recited the Nicean Creed. http://www.comedycentral.com/sitewi...ml?itemId=59606

I can't see it from here (this computer and WMP 11 don't get along) but if I recall this one from the initial airing, it was done via a joke. And while it is funny to recite the entire Creed at random, I wouldn't say it's that serious, religiously.
uc pseudonym

Postby MomoAdachi » Sun May 13, 2007 10:47 pm

I agree, he's hilarious. I love watching his YouTube clips. His show's a good send-up of political commentary shows like The O'Reilley(sp?) Factor.
Non-Christian Anti-Hentai Grrl
#1 Dubbed Sailor Moon Fan!
#1 Peach Girl Fan!

98% of the teenage population does or have tried smoking pot. If you are one of the 2% who haven't, copy or paste this in your signature.
MomoAdachi

Postby Jaltus-bot » Wed Jun 13, 2007 3:14 am

MomoAdachi wrote:I agree, he's hilarious. I love watching his YouTube clips. His show's a good send-up of political commentary shows like The O'Reilley(sp?) Factor.

Did you know that there are several segments posted on the Comedy Central website after each episode? You can watch his show online.

Jaltus-bot

Postby Etoh*the*Greato » Wed Jun 13, 2007 9:13 am

I thought he was funny standing next to Stewart, but on his own show it got kind of tiresome. He keeps having people on his show that I'd like to actually hear speak, and then not letting him speak. I got kind'a tired of it. The Word is still a laugh, though.
"I do not feel obliged to believe that that same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forego their use." - Galileo Galilei
ImageImageImageImage
Etoh*the*Greato

Postby Kkun » Wed Jun 13, 2007 9:15 am

MomoAdachi wrote:I agree, he's hilarious. I love watching his YouTube clips. His show's a good send-up of political commentary shows like The O'Reilley(sp?) Factor.

I think the O'Reilly Factor does a pretty good job of making fun of itself.

Colbert is really funny. I like Jon Stewart more, even though I find myself disagreeing with his political views a lot of the time. They're both great.
I'm a shoe-in for hater of the year.
Kkun

Postby Radical Dreamer » Wed Jun 13, 2007 11:24 am

Kkun wrote:I think the O'Reilly Factor does a pretty good job of making fun of itself.

Quoted for truth. XD

Colbert is very funny, but I've only seen his show a few times. I will say, though, that when he showed up on Late Night with Conan O'Brien...it was amazing. XD
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby Doubleshadow » Wed Jun 13, 2007 6:49 pm

I love Stephen Colbert and the Daily Show and Colbert Report. Not only is it very comedic (if not raunchy at times), it also has news bits, food for thought, and statements and opinions that are not covered by other media for various reasons.

PS- I bought his ice cream! XD
[color="Red"]As a man thinks in his heart, so is he. - Proverbs 23:7[/color]

The Sundries
Robin: "If we close our eyes, we can't see anything."
Batman: "A sound observation, Robin."
Doubleshadow

Postby rii namuras » Thu Jun 14, 2007 12:50 pm

(Here at my homeschool speech and debate league's National tournament here in Belton, Texas, there's a guy who's name is actually Stephen Colbert. He pronounces it "Coal-bert", though.)
rii namuras

Return to General Entertainment