What Killed Star Trek Voyager?

TV, Movies, Sports...you can find it all in here.

Postby KhakiBlueSocks » Tue May 08, 2007 9:18 am

Mitsuki Lover wrote:If we are speaking of rank then what rank does the EMH hold? As CMO shouldn't he hold at least an honorary rank of Lieutenant Commander?

I think in order to hold any rank aboard a starship, you have to at least have attended the Starfleet Academy. Picard bent the rules for Wesley on TNG but he made him an "acting ensign".

The last few episodes of Voyager are airing on Spike TV this week. After reviewing the last few posts on this topic, I've come to the conclusion that the one thing that killed Star Trek: Voyager was Star Trek itself. We can argue until we're khaki and blue in the face about what brought about the detriment of Voyager, but the fact remains that when you have something set and established like the Star Trek franchise (sp?) you have to stay within a certain reality, you have to follow certain guidelines that somebody laid down years and years ago. Sticking within the same story line and those same restrictions for 7+ years will, eventually lead to repitition (sp?).
Joshua: Hebrew -The LORD is Salvation

" wrote:RustyClaymore 11:27 - Ah yes, Socks is the single raindrop responsible for the flood. XD

Check out my new anime review blog, "The Cajun Samurai"

http://thecajunsamurai.wordpress.com/
KhakiBlueSocks

Postby mitsuki lover » Tue May 08, 2007 11:18 am

KhakiBlueSocks wrote:I think in order to hold any rank aboard a starship, you have to at least have attended the Starfleet Academy. Picard bent the rules for Wesley on TNG but he made him an "acting ensign".

The last few episodes of Voyager are airing on Spike TV this week. After reviewing the last few posts on this topic, I've come to the conclusion that the one thing that killed Star Trek: Voyager was Star Trek itself. We can argue until we're khaki and blue in the face about what brought about the detriment of Voyager, but the fact remains that when you have something set and established like the Star Trek franchise (sp?) you have to stay within a certain reality, you have to follow certain guidelines that somebody laid down years and years ago. Sticking within the same story line and those same restrictions for 7+ years will, eventually lead to repitition (sp?).

'khaki' and 'blue' :lol:
Now that was funny.btw:Noticed you changed the hair color of your avvie.
back to where we were:
Well you don't have to stick with the reality of the series all the time.I mean take Dr.Who for example the writers never did pay much attention to continuity on the series,which explains why there are so many contradictory
versions of the Dalek and Cybermen histories as well as the history of the Doctor himself.
I think Star Trek did mainly because Trekkers are the most obnoxiously obssessive people on the planet when it comes to continuity.
As far as the ending of Voyager goes,I really thought End Game was one of the better finales for Star Trek.Not only did they manage to bring the Borg back one final time and at the same time bring Voyager home,they also showed a dystopic future of what could have been,thus giving future Admiral
Janeway a reason for what she did in the episode.
mitsuki lover

Postby KhakiBlueSocks » Tue May 08, 2007 4:27 pm

mitsuki lover wrote:'khaki' and 'blue' :lol:
Now that was funny.btw:Noticed you changed the hair color of your avvie.

Thanks for noticing! 15 cool points to the first person who guesses who my avatar is supposed to look like!

Anyway, back on subject:

I think Star Trek did mainly because Trekkers are the most obnoxiously obssessive people on the planet when it comes to continuity.

Case in point: "The Nitpickers Guides". :lol:

" wrote:RustyClaymore 11:27 - Ah yes, Socks is the single raindrop responsible for the flood. XD

KhakiBlueSocks

Postby Blitzkrieg1701 » Tue May 08, 2007 8:54 pm

Hey hey HEY!!! Don't go knocking The Nitpickers Guides!!! :stressed:

But I don't think being stuck in the same universe that long is necessarily the culprit. After all, the whole reason they did Enterprise was to try and change a lot of those rules, and the results still weren't that great. I still think lackluster writing is lackluster writing regardless of what environment it sprouts up in.
Image Image

[font="Book Antiqua"][color="Purple"]For the love of Christ controls us, having concluded this: that one died for all, therefore all died; and he that died for all, so that they who live might no longer live for themselves, but for Him who died and rose again on their behalf. II Corinthians 5:14-15[/color][/font]
Blitzkrieg1701

Location: Washington, DC (when I'm not in an alternate universe)

Postby KhakiBlueSocks » Tue May 08, 2007 10:14 pm

Blitzkrieg1701 wrote:Hey hey HEY!!! Don't go knocking The Nitpickers Guides!!! :stressed:

Hey! I'm not knocking the Nitpickers Guide! I love the Nitpickers Guides! The guy who wrote them is hillarious! But when I was reading the Nitpickers Guide for DS9, I got the feeling he didn't like Sisko very much!

KhakiBlueSocks

Postby mitsuki lover » Wed May 09, 2007 11:40 am

KhakiBlueSocks wrote:Hey! I'm not knocking the Nitpickers Guide! I love the Nitpickers Guides! The guy who wrote them is hillarious! But when I was reading the Nitpickers Guide for DS9, I got the feeling he didn't like Sisko very much!

:lol: :dance:

I haven't been there for awhile but I do happen to be a card carrying member of the Nitpickers' Guild!
mitsuki lover

Postby Blitzkrieg1701 » Wed May 09, 2007 9:10 pm

*whew*

You have no idea the storm of wrath that was just narrowly averted :)
Image Image

[font="Book Antiqua"][color="Purple"]For the love of Christ controls us, having concluded this: that one died for all, therefore all died; and he that died for all, so that they who live might no longer live for themselves, but for Him who died and rose again on their behalf. II Corinthians 5:14-15[/color][/font]
Blitzkrieg1701

Postby mitsuki lover » Thu May 10, 2007 12:36 pm

The fun part of the Nitpicker Guides were the little side qoutes and trivia questions that were added to each section.And those notorious tote boards!Let's not forget the tote boards folks.
mitsuki lover

Postby Blitzkrieg1701 » Fri May 11, 2007 11:06 pm

How could ANY of us live without knowing EXACTLY how many times Data used a contraction? :thumb:
Image Image

Blitzkrieg1701

Postby mitsuki lover » Sat May 12, 2007 1:12 pm

Heheheh!
mitsuki lover

Postby mitsuki lover » Thu May 17, 2007 12:09 pm

Getting back on topic.
I think it was all that hair gel!
mitsuki lover

Postby Blitzkrieg1701 » Thu May 17, 2007 12:23 pm

:eyebrow: On WHO?
Image Image

Blitzkrieg1701

Postby mitsuki lover » Fri May 18, 2007 11:52 am

Well Janeway to begin with.
mitsuki lover

Postby KhakiBlueSocks » Fri May 18, 2007 9:55 pm

I don't know who was using hairgel, but I know one thing:

Tom's hair looked AWFUL during the first season!

KhakiBlueSocks

Postby Blitzkrieg1701 » Fri May 18, 2007 10:52 pm

I was just noticing that the other day. Apparently, the Alpha Quadrant has an adverse effect on humanoid hair that can only be reversed by getting FAR away.
Image Image

Blitzkrieg1701

Postby mitsuki lover » Sat May 19, 2007 11:47 am

Actually if you look at the wig that Jennifer Lien wears in the earliest episodes it would appear that the bad hair effect has reached even to the Delta Quadrant!
It's a good thing that they allowed our beloved Kes to grow her hair out before
she left Voyager.
mitsuki lover

Postby Blitzkrieg1701 » Sat May 19, 2007 7:58 pm

Well, they had to express those Okampa years somehow

(I wonder, is that like dog years?)
Image Image

Blitzkrieg1701

Postby mitsuki lover » Sun May 20, 2007 4:46 pm

Let's see when they start out she just turned 1 and the last time she shows up is in 'Fury' and she's an old woman of around 6 or 7 depending on which season
'Fury' was filmed.I forget.
I wonder if the rapid aging had to do with the fact of the Ocampa being forced to live underground after the Caretaker messed up their planet for them and as a result he had to speed up their life cycle so that there would be enough food and water for everyone or if it had always been part of the Ocampan life cycle.
I don't recall any hint in any episode either way.
Though personally I think the first theory makes sense as if the Caretaker hadn't sped up their lifecycle and limited it to a decade it would get too overcrowded
in that underground city of theirs too fast and they would have run out of food,etc. too quickly.
mitsuki lover

Previous

Return to General Entertainment