It's...Star Wars! Sort of. Maybe. Eh, give it a look.

TV, Movies, Sports...you can find it all in here.

It's...Star Wars! Sort of. Maybe. Eh, give it a look.

Postby Godly Paladin » Wed May 02, 2007 3:01 pm

So here is the result of an amateur video project a friend and I worked on over the past summer. Inspired by such fan films as Art of the Saber, we thought 'hey, why not give it a shot?' For those not in the know, this is a choreographed fight sequence of the lightsaber mold, complete with a couple of Force moves.

It's not perfect by any stretch. Scheduling forced us to do the entire thing in only six hours, meaning no reviewing of footage and no retaking a shot. We're starting development on another, hopefully much more superior one.

One thing I'd really like you guys to do is give us some feedback! Tell us how it looks, what we did wrong, what you liked, and how we can make it better the next time around. Better yet, please contrast it to our inspiration, Art of the Saber, and tell us how close we got.

--> Download "Final Reunion" from MediaFire

If the download is too cumbersome, *please tell me* and I'll upload it to YouTube for easier viewing.

Enjoy!

(PS: I'm the guy in black.)
Godly Paladin

Postby Godly Paladin » Sun May 06, 2007 5:23 pm

So I put it on YouTube, since no one was probably bothering before.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WhVawbGWjdY
Godly Paladin

Postby Kkun » Mon May 07, 2007 11:28 am

You guys did a great job! The effects on the lightsabers were good, and the fighting was well-choreographed, even if you didn't have a chance to retake anything.

It's a shame more people aren't paying attention to this thread.
I'm a shoe-in for hater of the year.
Kkun

Postby chibiphonebooth » Mon May 07, 2007 11:42 am

this is awesome!!!!

veeooon veeoooonnnnn

the lightsabers were really well done. i agree with kkun. :D
ImageImageImage

[font="Impact"][SIZE="3"][color="SeaGreen"]"Savannah's signature: ruining serious since 2008"[/color][/SIZE][/font]

[font="Georgia"][color="Orange"][url=yourtoesaremissing.deviantart.com]Visit my DA X3[/url][/color][/font]
chibiphonebooth

Postby Etoh*the*Greato » Mon May 07, 2007 9:40 pm

Great stunt fighting! Well Coreographed.
"I do not feel obliged to believe that that same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forego their use." - Galileo Galilei
ImageImageImageImage
Etoh*the*Greato

Postby Mitsukai » Mon May 07, 2007 9:57 pm

It has only received 2 comments on youtube...CAA members should post their comments there instead of here.

Anyway, awesome job...it's bizarre that a real person could wield sticks like that.

Martial arts much or something?
Mitsukai

Postby Etoh*the*Greato » Mon May 07, 2007 10:03 pm

A real person? As opposed to a robot?
"I do not feel obliged to believe that that same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forego their use." - Galileo Galilei
ImageImageImageImage
Etoh*the*Greato

Postby Godly Paladin » Tue May 08, 2007 9:35 am

Thanks for the support, guys - and *yes*, it would help greatly if y'all would rate and comment on the video itself. The more positives it gets, the more people will see it.

No, Mitsukai - neither of us have ever taken martial arts at all. Thanks, though. :D

Did anyone have any suggestions for how we could make it better?
Godly Paladin

Postby Etoh*the*Greato » Tue May 08, 2007 11:17 am

Your editing was a little chopy in places. The sound effects could use a little polishing, but you've got them down beyond that.
ImageImageImageImage
Etoh*the*Greato

Postby Godly Paladin » Wed May 09, 2007 6:32 am

Like I said, that actually isn't an editing problem. We couldn't review footage and refilm, so we essentially 'forgot' a few vital transition shots. We'll try to fix that next time around.

As for sound... Do you mean the relative volumes or what? I'm curious.
Godly Paladin

Postby Zilch » Wed May 09, 2007 7:43 am

Bah, it's all CG. ;p

Sweet job. If you did all that in six hours, I stand fairly amazed that it came off so smoothly.
Uh-oh! Your sig have started to move! -- MOES.

I suppose you could find females attracted to you if you stop being bad at flirting. -MSP
Zilch

Postby Etoh*the*Greato » Wed May 09, 2007 8:07 am

Dunno. Some of the squealier noises were used. Try throwing in a greater variety of noises. There are massive numbers of lightsaber noise packages you can download.
ImageImageImageImage
Etoh*the*Greato

Postby RobinSena » Wed May 09, 2007 9:53 am

Nice job. Well choreography, and the ending was awesome..

1 question.. What program did you use for the lightsabers?
FKA: ChurchPunk[SIZE="1"]
MOES: Sig. Or sig not. There is no scroll.
[/SIZE]
RobinSena

Postby Godly Paladin » Wed May 09, 2007 1:39 pm

Nice job. Well choreography, and the ending was awesome.

Haha, I'd expected CAA-ers to jump all over the ending because it's so anime-ish. In answer to your question, we used Adobe Premier for editing the film together, and then used Premiere's filmstrip capabilities to basically generate a big old graphic. We then did rudimentary color grading and the lightsabers in Photoshop.

We'll try, Etoh. Thanks for the recommendation.
Godly Paladin

Postby Radical Dreamer » Wed May 09, 2007 6:54 pm

Wow, that was really good. XD The choreography is impressive, and I didn't really notice any editing problems. Nice job with the lightsaber sounds, too, and kudos for picking yellow as opposed to red, blue or green for the two that were used through most of the fight. XD

Excellent work! :D
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Wed May 09, 2007 7:55 pm

I'll give some honest constructive criticism.

First off, excellent choreography. Very well done for an amateur attempt.

Second, too much flash sword-swinging moves.

Third, the running at each other scene was rather... XD lame. It was also a bit obvious that when striking, you were a few feet away from each other.

Fourth, the lines were a tad cheesy. XD

But overall, VERY good job.
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby Taliesin » Wed May 09, 2007 8:37 pm

When I saw it, the voices were hard to hear and the lightsabers were pretty loud. The only other thing was the way the double-ended lightsaber got knocked away. I kept expecting it to come back down because that is the way it went up. The smoldering chopped stick was a very nice touch.
FKA starhammer

Communism is only the perfect government if you have the perfect leader. And I'm only available Tuesdays.

I'm too cool to scroll.
Taliesin

Postby Bobtheduck » Wed May 23, 2007 11:05 pm

I just thought I'd say "Teh Awesome"

And...

Bump

(everyone needs a chance to see this)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evcNPfZlrZs Watch this movie なう。 It's legal, free... And it's more than its premise. It's not saying Fast Food is good food. Just watch it.
Legend of Crying Bronies: Twilight's a Princess
Bobtheduck

Postby Tommy » Thu May 24, 2007 3:25 pm

Looked like a fun project.

The lightsaber effects were awesome and seemed in par with the effects in the original trilogy.

The part where you use the force to move things was actually somewhat funny.
Can't explain why but something aobut it made me chuckle.
Tommy

Postby Raiden no Kishi » Thu May 24, 2007 8:50 pm

That was pretty awesome. After the anime-esque simultaneous attack at the end, one could tell that the shot was a still with only the lightsaber changing at all. I'm going to disagree with Ryan and say that I liked some of the flashy moves, although I can see why he would think they got gratuitous at times. You might try toning them back for your next film as an experiment. Also, in one of the close-up shots [I believe it was the white-clad warrior's Sephiroth-esque stance near the end], you could see that his lightsaber handle was PVC [or at least, it appeared to be PVC to me]. I don't mean to be picky, but it's the details that count, and you've got the basics nailed, so this is really all I have to critique.

About the saber effects ~ am I to take it that you edited the saber glow in frame-by-frame? Also, would you be able to offer some tips on how to create a film of this type?

Thanks for sharing this video! ^_^

.rai//
[raiden's liveJournal]

[color="Indigo"]"I believe whatever doesn't kill you simply makes you . . . stranger."[/color]

Strollin' in at dawn, wakin' up at noon's gonna catch up to me soon
'Just sleep when you're dead' is what I said 'cause I'm jumpin' off the moon
Raiden no Kishi

Location: Ticking away/The hours that make up the dull day . . .

Postby Godly Paladin » Fri May 25, 2007 6:50 pm

Yeah, we did it frame by frame. Took a long time. =P For tutorials I would check this site out first of all: http://theforce.net/fanfilms/explore.asp They're way better than I am. If you've got some specific troubles/questions, I can give you my advice.

BTW, which shot did you think was the still? The one before we charge at each other isn't quite a still - it's like 20 frames on loop. The flickering back-and-forth is probably one or two frames per shot, though.

We are toning back on the flashy moves, or at least trying to incorporate some of it into combat so they're actual attacks/defense instead of just arrogant showmanship.

Thanks for the support, Bob. :D
Godly Paladin

Postby ich1990 » Fri May 25, 2007 8:34 pm

Sweet Video. I would love to see another!
Where an Eidolon, named night, on a black throne reigns upright.
ich1990

Postby AsianBlossom » Sun May 27, 2007 12:34 pm

Very nice. I agree; another one would be cool.
RESPECT THE UNBORN AND CHOOSE LIFE...your mother did.

"Do not underestimate the power of the muffin! The muffin will smite all those who question it! The muffin will crush all nay-sayers! He who controls the muffin shall control the entire world!" -Taishi, Comic Party English Dub
AsianBlossom

Postby Godly Paladin » Mon Aug 20, 2007 7:08 am

Just a mild gravedig here to say that our YouTube upload has reached 10,000 views!

*proud*
Godly Paladin

Postby Danderson » Mon Aug 20, 2007 9:07 am

Impressive...most impressive...considering it was only 6 hours, that was quite a good deal of fighting and very well choreographyed....
Usually a fan-made lightsaber duel that is very very good often features something that no one else has used yet, and I'd say the forced thrown sticks were that original piece....Well done....
Danderson

Postby jayquam » Wed Aug 22, 2007 4:43 am

It's good. I think it might look a lil better at night,but very good nonetheless
Serious, Intense, Low-key.
jayquam

Postby Felix » Wed Aug 22, 2007 1:24 pm

Gosh, that's awesome. I've always wanted to learn how to do lightsaber effects like that. I bet it's loads of fun ^^;
But really, great job! It came out well, especially for the short time you made it in. Any plans for future movie making?
Felix

Postby jayquam » Sat Aug 25, 2007 5:07 am

Oh,and i like the use of the yellow sabers. They are better than the usuall blue,red,green, and purple sabers
Serious, Intense, Low-key.
jayquam

Return to General Entertainment