Planet Earth on Discovery Channel!

TV, Movies, Sports...you can find it all in here.

Planet Earth on Discovery Channel!

Postby ilikegir33 » Mon Mar 26, 2007 2:24 pm

There's a new miniseries that the Discovery Channel, BBC and NHK collaborated on called Planet Earth. This awesome 11 episode miniseries shows God's creation in a new light. The first three episodes were on yesterday from 7 to 10 PM Central Time.

The first three episodes are truly remarkable because they show footage of rare animals. Although the show is secular and doesn't give God credit, you can give it yourself. Besides that, this show is awesome and I can't wait to see more! XD
:dizzy: [color="Orange"]People are so crazy these days. If you are one of those crazy ppl, then copy this into your sig![/color]:dizzy:
MOES. "Take off every sig for great justice"
@)}~`,~ Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks To All The CAA Moderators.
What I'll be reviewing in the future:
SoulTaker (soon to start)
Whoever loves discipline loves knowledge, but he who hates correction is stupid. Proverbs 12:1
ilikegir33

Postby ilikegir33 » Sun Apr 01, 2007 4:26 pm

The next two episodes are going to come on 2nite! I don't know what they're about but the show is dazzling. You've gotta see it. It's amazing. By the way, it's rated TV-G. There's only a few natural predatory killings by carnivorous animals. I say about 6-up.

(EDIT: The two new episodes are about "Deserts" and "Ice Worlds".)
:dizzy: [color="Orange"]People are so crazy these days. If you are one of those crazy ppl, then copy this into your sig![/color]:dizzy:
Whoever loves discipline loves knowledge, but he who hates correction is stupid. Proverbs 12:1
ilikegir33

Postby CrimsonRyu17 » Sun Apr 01, 2007 4:40 pm

I've been watching this as well. It's pretty awesome and the visuals are amazing, like you said. I'm totally watching it.
CrimsonRyu17

Postby ilikegir33 » Fri Apr 06, 2007 6:38 am

BTW it was originally on BBC. The Discovery Channel version airs episodes in a different order and has a new narrator: Sigourney Weaver!
ilikegir33

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Fri Apr 06, 2007 9:15 am

So David Attenborough isn't good enough, or just hard to understand.
I missed this series when it was on in Australia several months ago (at night church) but I've reserved them from my library. I've heard they are excellent (hopefully the evolutional worldview is minimal).
Warrior 4 Jesus

Postby Shao Feng-Li » Fri Apr 06, 2007 9:38 am

I'd so be watching this if it weren't on Sunday *pouts*
Shao Feng-Li

Postby Kenshin17 » Fri Apr 06, 2007 10:42 am

I am buying the DVD set...I got to see the first couple episodes...so awesome...

And you know it all happened by accident and mutation....;)
A nightingale in a golden cage
That's me locked inside reality's maze
Come someone make my heavy heart light
Come undone, bring me back to life
It all starts with a lullaby
Kenshin17

Postby Shao Feng-Li » Fri Apr 06, 2007 11:01 am

They have it on DVD? Cool...

:D
Shao Feng-Li

Postby ilikegir33 » Sun Apr 08, 2007 4:36 pm

The minor evolution worldview doesn't detract to the gorgeous imagery. There are two more episodes tonight.
ilikegir33

Postby Technomancer » Mon Apr 09, 2007 7:41 am

I saw a few episodes when it aired on CBC, then again I'm also a big fan of David Attenborough's so it was sort of obligatory. It wasn't bad, although Attenborough's other shows were better IMO. Of course, this was supposed to be a more general sort of programme, and not meant to go into real depth with any of the topics.

So David Attenborough isn't good enough, or just hard to understand

I really don't get that. Aside from being a great author, he's also an incredibly good narrator, and has a very clear voice.

PS. My personal favourites:
The First Eden: The Mediterranean World and Man

The Living Planet

Unfortunately, I have yet to see his series 'Life on Earth' (which I'll get from the library).
The scientific method," Thomas Henry Huxley once wrote, "is nothing but the normal working of the human mind." That is to say, when the mind is working; that is to say further, when it is engaged in corrrecting its mistakes. Taking this point of view, we may conclude that science is not physics, biology, or chemistry—is not even a "subject"—but a moral imperative drawn from a larger narrative whose purpose is to give perspective, balance, and humility to learning.

Neil Postman
(The End of Education)

Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge

Isaac Aasimov
Technomancer

Postby ilikegir33 » Mon Apr 09, 2007 4:39 pm

Technomancer wrote: I really don't get that. Aside from being a great author, he's also an incredibly good narrator, and has a very clear voice.

Yeah. Attenborough is such a good narrator! I wonder why they'd choose Sigourney Weaver!
ilikegir33

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Mon Apr 09, 2007 9:03 pm

Oh, I realise David Attenborough is a great narrator and voice but maybe American audiences in general couldn't understand him? I don't know. Just a thought.
Warrior 4 Jesus

Postby Technomancer » Tue Apr 10, 2007 6:46 am

It's not like he has a thick accent or anything, so probably not. I suspect it has more to do with Sigourney Weaver being a draw in and of herself. People who are interested in science and the environment will probably watch it anyways, but the producers might also feel they need to do something extra to bring in a broader audience who generally wouldn't watch a nature show. A Hollywood celebrity might help with that. However famous Attenborough himself might be, it's doubtful many members of the broader audience would have heard of him, much less read one of his books.
The scientific method," Thomas Henry Huxley once wrote, "is nothing but the normal working of the human mind." That is to say, when the mind is working; that is to say further, when it is engaged in corrrecting its mistakes. Taking this point of view, we may conclude that science is not physics, biology, or chemistry—is not even a "subject"—but a moral imperative drawn from a larger narrative whose purpose is to give perspective, balance, and humility to learning.

Neil Postman
(The End of Education)

Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge

Isaac Aasimov
Technomancer

Postby bigsleepj » Tue Apr 10, 2007 7:04 am

I suspect it's probably just the Discovery Channel guys imagining the cultural divide between the US and England to be larger and more problematic than it really is.
Unwise Toasting Sermon

The Sweet Smell of CAA
The Avatar Christian Ronin designed for me
An Avatar KhakiBlue gave to me
The avatar Termyt made for me

KhakiBlueSocks wrote:"I'm going to make you a prayer request you can't refuse..." Cue the violins. :lol:

Current Avatar by SirThinks2much - thank you very much! :thumb::)
bigsleepj

Postby ilikegir33 » Mon Apr 16, 2007 8:11 am

Also they have a three part documentary on PE called Planet Earth The Future that's on the Discovery Science Channel. Sounds to me like:

An Inconvienient Truth+Who Killed The Electric Car?-Al Gore+The Nature Conservancy (who's a sponsor of PE)+Planet Earth itself=PE: The Future

That's basically what it is IMHO.
ilikegir33

Postby Technomancer » Mon Apr 16, 2007 9:56 am

CBC has a short summary of Planet Earth: The Future:
http://www.cbc.ca/documentaries/planetearth_future.html

In truth it's nothing that we haven't known at the scientific level for some time. It's not even material that's been inaccessible to even a minimally motivated layman. Hopefully, though the exposure that this series seems to have been getting will raise the status of these concerns.

Neil Postman
(The End of Education)

Isaac Aasimov
Technomancer

Postby ilikegir33 » Tue Apr 17, 2007 2:10 pm

Yeah. I wish I could watch it but it's on at 9:00 PM Central Time.

BTW, Planet Earth's last 2 episodes are on next Sunday. I wonder how it ends.
ilikegir33

Postby ilikegir33 » Mon Apr 23, 2007 2:56 pm

PE ended yesterday and I really thought the imagery was so awesome and awe inspiring. It's available on DVD if you can find it.
ilikegir33

Return to General Entertainment