What Manga are you reading?

Post about anime's sister, manga in here. Manga reviews accepted in here as well.

Postby uc pseudonym » Mon Apr 16, 2007 5:44 pm

Judas Volumes 1-2

I'm reading it mostly because I have a friend who recommends things very forcefully. So far I'm not terribly impressed on completely unreligious grounds. It has a weird blend of eastern ideas and the 12 Apostles (Jesus and God remain conspicuously unmentioned). It still isn't exactly clear what the overall religious message is, though I'm fairly certain the author is just using Christian imagery and has no real agenda.
uc pseudonym

Postby kryptech » Tue Apr 17, 2007 6:46 am

I just finished One Piece volumes 1 and 2. 3 and 4 are on request at the library and should be coming in this week. A bit wacky and not tremendously realistic but fun. I look forward to working through the series.
"Everybody's weird in their own special way." - P.V.
"Never refuse a breath mint." - my dad
"The UAC is making safer worlds through superior firepower." - Doom 3
"This world is a great sculptor's shop. We are the statues and there is a rumour going round the shop that some of us are some day going to come to life." - C.S. Lewis, Mere Christianity

"I'm too cool to scroll. -- MOES."
kryptech

Postby uc pseudonym » Tue Apr 17, 2007 6:29 pm

Mai-Hime

I expected absolutely nothing from this series and to stop reading before a few chapters were out, but I've been pleasantly surprised. Not that it's excellent manga, but it isn't just an excuse for fanservice. I've seen worse characterization and action, and it's nice to have a non-powered character that isn't worthless.
uc pseudonym

Postby KeybladeWarrior » Thu Apr 19, 2007 9:07 pm

Reading Rurouni Kenshin vol. 4 and Dragon Drive vol. 1
@)}~`,~ Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks, To All
The CAA Moderators.

"YEAH TOAST! TOCAA!"
KeybladeWarrior

Postby Adie » Thu Apr 19, 2007 9:49 pm

Hikaru No Go volume 9.
Fruits Basket volume 4.
Adie

Postby jon_jinn » Fri Apr 20, 2007 3:19 pm

Rose Hip Rose volume 2.
[SIZE="4"]*FASTING FROM CAA (9/25/08 - ???)*[/SIZE]

[SIZE="1"]
"Sometimes we don't present the Gospel well enough for the non-elect to reject it."
- John MacArthur

"In the total expanse of the human life, there is not a single square inch of which Christ, who alone is sovereign, does not declare, 'That is mine'."
- Abraham Kuyper

"God the great Creator of all things doth uphold, direct, dispose, and govern all creatures, actions, and things, from the greatest even to the least, by His most wise and holy providence, according to His infallible foreknowledge and the free and immutable counsel of His own will, to the praise of the glory of His wisdom, power, justice, goodness, and mercy."
- Westminister Confession of Faith (Chapter 5, Section 1)

"The wisdom of God has found a way for the love of God to deliver sinners from the wrath of God all the while upholding the righteousness of God!!"
- John Piper

"Grace is the pleasure of God to magnify the worth of God by giving sinners the right and power to delight in God without obscuring the glory of God!"
-John Piper

"The very One from Whom we need to be saved, is the One Who has saved us."
- R.C. Sproul

"All of Christian life is ceaseless worship of God the Father, through the mediatorship of God the Son, by the indwelling power of God the Spirit, doing what God commands in Scripture, not doing what God forbids in Scripture, in culturally contextualized ways, for the furtherance of the Gospel, when both gathered for adoration, and scattered for action, in joyous response to God's glorious grace."
- Mark Driscoll

"Believers do not pray with the view of informing God about things unknown to Him, or of exciting Him to do His duty, or of urging Him as though He were reluctant. On the contrary, they pray in order that they may arouse themselves to seek Him, that they may exercise their faith in meditating on His promises, that they may relieve themselves from their anxieties by pouring them into His bosom; in a word, that they may declare that from Him alone they hope and expect, both for themselves and for others, all good things."
- Martin Luther

"I have to tell you first that I am ready to die. I have put my affairs in order. Your supreme weapon is killing. My supreme weapon is dying, because when you kill me, people all over Romania will read my books and believe on the God that I preach - even more than they do now."
- Dr. Joseph Ton, the exiled Romanian pastor (quoted by James Montgomery Boice)

"The best prayer I ever prayed had enough sin in it to condemn the whole world."
- John Bunyan

"If the Christian has lost sight of Calvary, that shows that he has lost his way."
- J.I. Packer[/SIZE]
jon_jinn

Postby Htom Sirveaux » Mon Apr 23, 2007 2:09 pm

I understand Death Note vol. 11 is out. I'm about to bike down to the bookstore and pick me up some o' that.
If this post seems too utterly absurd or ridiculous to be taken seriously, don't. :)
Htom Sirveaux

Postby Fish and Chips » Mon Apr 23, 2007 2:13 pm

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure vol. 1-3

I'm sorta getting the hang of this series. Like most shounen series, the plot is an excuse for a globe-trotting action scenes, but unlike most shounen series, the plot actually has more drive and even depth to itself. Not so much that it interferes with all the over-the-top action (like I said earlier, it's a violent series) but present enough to offer something more.
Fish and Chips

Postby beau99 » Mon Apr 23, 2007 4:24 pm

Kodocha vol. 1
beau99

Postby MasterDias » Mon Apr 23, 2007 9:02 pm

Fish and Chips wrote:JoJo's Bizarre Adventure vol. 1-3

I'm sorta getting the hang of this series. Like most shounen series, the plot is an excuse for a globe-trotting action scenes, but unlike most shounen series, the plot actually has more drive and even depth to itself. Not so much that it interferes with all the over-the-top action (like I said earlier, it's a violent series) but present enough to offer something more.

It's also...really....really...long.
-----------------------------------------
"Always seek to do good to one another and to all."
1 Thessalonians 5:15

"Every story must have an ending." - Auron - Final Fantasy X

"A small stone may make a ripple at first, but someday it will be a wave." - Wiegraf - Final Fantasy Tactics
MasterDias

Postby jon_jinn » Mon Apr 23, 2007 9:11 pm

MasterDias wrote:It's also...really....really...long.

Yeah it is. I don’t think Viz is going to release all of the seasons (or whatever). They might just do that one arc that they’re doing right now. It would be a hassle to release all…80+(???) volumes.

[SIZE="1"]
"Sometimes we don't present the Gospel well enough for the non-elect to reject it."
- John MacArthur

"In the total expanse of the human life, there is not a single square inch of which Christ, who alone is sovereign, does not declare, 'That is mine'."
- Abraham Kuyper

"God the great Creator of all things doth uphold, direct, dispose, and govern all creatures, actions, and things, from the greatest even to the least, by His most wise and holy providence, according to His infallible foreknowledge and the free and immutable counsel of His own will, to the praise of the glory of His wisdom, power, justice, goodness, and mercy."

"The wisdom of God has found a way for the love of God to deliver sinners from the wrath of God all the while upholding the righteousness of God!!"
- John Piper

"Grace is the pleasure of God to magnify the worth of God by giving sinners the right and power to delight in God without obscuring the glory of God!"
-John Piper

- R.C. Sproul

"All of Christian life is ceaseless worship of God the Father, through the mediatorship of God the Son, by the indwelling power of God the Spirit, doing what God commands in Scripture, not doing what God forbids in Scripture, in culturally contextualized ways, for the furtherance of the Gospel, when both gathered for adoration, and scattered for action, in joyous response to God's glorious grace."
- Mark Driscoll

"Believers do not pray with the view of informing God about things unknown to Him, or of exciting Him to do His duty, or of urging Him as though He were reluctant. On the contrary, they pray in order that they may arouse themselves to seek Him, that they may exercise their faith in meditating on His promises, that they may relieve themselves from their anxieties by pouring them into His bosom; in a word, that they may declare that from Him alone they hope and expect, both for themselves and for others, all good things."
- Martin Luther

"I have to tell you first that I am ready to die. I have put my affairs in order. Your supreme weapon is killing. My supreme weapon is dying, because when you kill me, people all over Romania will read my books and believe on the God that I preach - even more than they do now."

"The best prayer I ever prayed had enough sin in it to condemn the whole world."
- John Bunyan

"If the Christian has lost sight of Calvary, that shows that he has lost his way."
- J.I. Packer[/SIZE]
jon_jinn

Postby Fish and Chips » Mon Apr 23, 2007 9:50 pm

MasterDias wrote:It's also...really....really...long.

80+ volumes, I believe. Fortunately, it seems to be divided among various generational story arc/gaps, so you can start and stop between arcs, provided you know just a little of the backstory (which Viz took care of in their first translated volume)
jon_jinn wrote:Yeah it is. I don’t think Viz is going to release all of the seasons (or whatever). They might just do that one arc that they’re doing right now. It would be a hassle to release all…80+(???) volumes.

I've heard there are issues over licensing, as many characters, enemies, special abilities, and so forth take their names from American music artists and song titles.

And yeah, they probably won't release all of it, which makes me sad, because the first two arcs are the ones I'm most interested in, but I don't care for what happens after the third arc.

Meh, we'll see.
Fish and Chips

Postby MasterDias » Mon Apr 23, 2007 10:18 pm

Fish and Chips wrote:I've heard there are issues over licensing, as many characters, enemies, special abilities, and so forth take their names from American music artists and song titles.

And yeah, they probably won't release all of it, which makes me sad, because the first two arcs are the ones I'm most interested in, but I don't care for what happens after the third arc.

Meh, we'll see.

Well, they can just slightly alter names, if there are problems there. But I don't think it's been selling all that well, compared to many of the other SJ titles. The fact that it's rather dated and lack of a TV anime work to its detriment probably.

Any particular reason you don't care for the later arcs. I'm not that familiar with them myself, but I'm somewhat curious. I did read all of the first arc and a lot of the second. The second was alright but I found the first rather dull.

"A small stone may make a ripple at first, but someday it will be a wave." - Wiegraf - Final Fantasy Tactics
MasterDias

Postby Fish and Chips » Mon Apr 23, 2007 10:54 pm

MasterDias wrote:Well, they can just slightly alter names, if there are problems there. But I don't think it's been selling all that well, compared to many of the other SJ titles. The fact that it's rather dated and lack of a TV anime work to its detriment probably.

It's pretty much a cult phenomenon in the States, but it enjoys rampant popularity in Japan. Not much in the way of advertising or catching attention though, yeah.
MasterDias wrote:Any particular reason you don't care for the later arcs. I'm not that familiar with them myself, but I'm somewhat curious. I did read all of the first arc and a lot of the second. The second was alright but I found the first rather dull.

I haven't read any of those later arcs, I'm just not that interested in them is all. I do want to look into the first two arcs, however, as reading their respective wiki entries has sparked my interest.

And yes, I'm well aware the first arc is reputably "Slow."

The 3rd arc is good, but my personal enjoyment rests somewhat more on the nature of their opponent at each of their points along the journey; meaning the chapters featuring the Hanged Man (an assassin who lives in mirrors) were pretty much awesome, those with the Wheel of Fortune (a possessed car), decidedly less so.
Fish and Chips

Postby Ichigo_89 » Tue Apr 24, 2007 12:31 pm

Reading:

Blade of the Immortal vol.1
Gantz chapter.245
Berserk chapter.234
Battle Angel Alita:Last Order vol.5
Ichigo_89

Postby jon_jinn » Tue Apr 24, 2007 5:56 pm

Rose Hip Rose volume 3

[SIZE="1"]
- John MacArthur

- Abraham Kuyper

- John Piper

-John Piper

- R.C. Sproul

- Mark Driscoll

- Martin Luther

- John Bunyan

- J.I. Packer[/SIZE]
jon_jinn

Postby Fish and Chips » Sat Apr 28, 2007 5:28 am

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure vol. 1-2

The real volumes 1 and 2, mind you. Not the American versions, which I was browsing before (which are actually 13 and 14). That said, I'm actually liking this first story arc. I know a lot of people find it "Boring," but I really prefer it to the episodic "Fighing our way towards Dio" nature of the third arc (as serialized in America); not that there's anything necessarily wrong with that, it just feels a bit more like standard shounen that way.
Fish and Chips

Postby uc pseudonym » Sat Apr 28, 2007 5:42 pm

Threads of Time Volumes 1-9
Humonculus Volumes 1-2

The former interests me in the sense of being solid shonen, but I wouldn't call it excellent. I'm not sure about the latter yet, because it seems to hint at an intelligent plot but moves so slowly it is difficult to tell.
uc pseudonym

Postby jon_jinn » Sat May 05, 2007 7:30 am

Trigun volumes 1 and 2
Blade of Immortal volumes 1 and 2
Houshin Engi volume 1
Black & White volume 1

i'm trying to find a new manga series to read right now. i'm somewhat disappointed by Trigun. the story progresses at quite a slow rate, there's not as much action as i had anticipated, the artwork isn't all that great, and Vash is starting to really get on my nerves. as for the other three, Blade of Immortal's pretty interesting (though it's violence can stretch the limit at times). i'm quite surprised that there's actually very little nudity or sexual content. the series hasn't been completed in Japan yet so i might put this one on hold. as for Black & White and Houshin Engi, they're both pretty good. Black & White is quite a unique series. it's only three volumes long so i might as well finish it. Houshin Engi is complete at 23 volumes long.

[SIZE="1"]
- John MacArthur

- Abraham Kuyper

- John Piper

-John Piper

- R.C. Sproul

- Mark Driscoll

- Martin Luther

- John Bunyan

- J.I. Packer[/SIZE]
jon_jinn

Postby Hitokiri » Sat May 05, 2007 7:57 am

Random Azumanga Daioh
Naruto
Hitokiri

Postby rsnumber2 » Sat May 05, 2007 8:19 am

"Lone Wolf and Cub" Vol. 1
It takes bad jokes to appreciate the good ones.

rsnumber2.com - A directory of all things rsnumber2.
Goufy Shumi - People think my shumi is goufy.

Titus 2:11-14 - What I strive for.
rsnumber2

Location: As a square peg, I am currently trying to fit in a round hole.

Postby KeybladeWarrior » Sat May 05, 2007 11:03 am

Rurouni Kenshin vol. 6
Megaman NT Warrior vol. 11
@)}~`,~ Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks, To All
The CAA Moderators.

"YEAH TOAST! TOCAA!"
KeybladeWarrior

Postby uc pseudonym » Sat May 05, 2007 7:31 pm

Rave Master Volumes 1-5
Dragon Quest Chapters 90-120

I finally found more Dragon Quest in English, so I continue to read the series. As for Rave Master, I picked it up out of curiosity (and I'm finding the manga-ka's current work interesting). Though I'll probably read more if I have a lot of free time for some reason, it hasn't struck me as very intelligent so far.
uc pseudonym

Postby jon_jinn » Sun May 06, 2007 11:58 am

uc pseudonym wrote:As for Rave Master, I picked it up out of curiosity (and I'm finding the manga-ka's current work interesting).

are you talking about Fairy Tail? i noticed that series and the artwork struck me as familiar because i had read the first 11 volumes of rave master. i haven't tried it yet though...

anyways:
Prince of Tennis volume 19
Whistle! volume 16
Eyeshield 21 volume 13
Getbackers volume 18

[SIZE="1"]
- John MacArthur

- Abraham Kuyper

- John Piper

-John Piper

- R.C. Sproul

- Mark Driscoll

- Martin Luther

- John Bunyan

- J.I. Packer[/SIZE]
jon_jinn

Postby uc pseudonym » Mon May 07, 2007 11:56 am

Yes, I mean Fairy Tail. It strikes me as much better than Rave Master (it isn't far enough to know anything about an overall plot, though) in general execution as well as characters.

Meanwhile, given that I've moved back from college, it is time to see what new manga the local library has acquired. It is likely to be a random selection of volumes for the next few days. So far I've read a manwha series called Blazin' Barrels and picked up a volume of Hunter x Hunter to reread for fun.
uc pseudonym

Postby uc pseudonym » Wed May 09, 2007 11:58 am

WoW: The Sunwell Trilogy
Battle Angel Alita

Finally found the last volume of the former, sampled the latter because it's a big name I know fairly little about. No particular comment about either.
uc pseudonym

Postby yukishiro128 » Wed May 09, 2007 1:38 pm

Just read Fullmetal Alchemist 13. This series just gets better and better!

Also just started buying Naruto (on #6), reading Yu-Gi-Oh! Duelist (for the sake of Seto Kaiba. The dueling part...well '-_-) and D.N.Angel.
http://www.busybeeband.com--Most awesome high school band ever. Check it out.

Hurry up and install your home security systems, 'cause Jesus is coming like a thief in the night.

[font="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="2"]ACCHONBURIKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!![/SIZE][/font] :wow!:

:angel:
yukishiro128

Postby MasterDias » Wed May 09, 2007 10:02 pm

uc pseudonym wrote:I finally found more Dragon Quest in English, so I continue to read the series. As for Rave Master, I picked it up out of curiosity (and I'm finding the manga-ka's current work interesting). Though I'll probably read more if I have a lot of free time for some reason, it hasn't struck me as very intelligent so far.

Rave Master does improve past those initial volumes, I thought. It's a standard shonen quest manga, but I found it fairly entertaining once it gets going... although I never really knew what to make of Mashima's weird character designs.

Anyway, I read some of Kurozakuro and skimmed a bit of Butsu Zone. The first is a title that ran in Shonen Sunday awhile back, the second is by Shaman King's Hiroyuki Takei.

MasterDias

Postby uc pseudonym » Thu May 10, 2007 12:53 pm

I've gotten through five volumes or so, and I'd agree it is improving.

Meanwhile, I reread FMA volume 11.
uc pseudonym

Postby jon_jinn » Thu May 10, 2007 8:28 pm

Tenge tenjo volumes 1-6

I normally wouldn’t read such a series with so much fan service, however, the volumes were edited and I never really gave the series much of a chance. Though confusing at times, the story itself is somewhat interesting, and there are lots of intense fights. Shame that there’s so much fan service and “would beâ€

[SIZE="1"]
- John MacArthur

- Abraham Kuyper

- John Piper

-John Piper

- R.C. Sproul

- Mark Driscoll

- Martin Luther

- John Bunyan

- J.I. Packer[/SIZE]
jon_jinn

Previous Next

Return to Manga and Manga Reviews