What Manga are you reading?

Post about anime's sister, manga in here. Manga reviews accepted in here as well.

Postby uc pseudonym » Fri Mar 30, 2007 5:15 pm

Fish and Chips wrote:Plastic. Static. Undeveloped.

Ah. Those synonyms are more familiar to me.

Fish and Chips wrote:Not sure what you meant by "Unfortunate," unless you misread "Stock."

That was specifically responding to when you said the Nobunaga thing was "small fish" which I interpreted to mean that there were bigger unbalancing things later on (in relation to the power system).
uc pseudonym

Postby Fish and Chips » Fri Mar 30, 2007 7:39 pm

uc pseudonym wrote:That was specifically responding to when you said the Nobunaga thing was "small fish" which I interpreted to mean that there were bigger unbalancing things later on (in relation to the power system).

No, I meant as far as spoilers go, Nobunga's death is lower on the chain than some other spoilers.
Fish and Chips

Postby Ichigo_89 » Sat Mar 31, 2007 8:57 am

Battle Angel Alita vol.1
Fullmetal Alchemist vol.6
Berserk vol.25
Ichigo_89

Postby uc pseudonym » Sat Mar 31, 2007 5:22 pm

Blood Alone Volumes 1 and 2

This is all that is out in English, I believe. I am enjoying this series now that it has developed further. It is seinen in the best sense ("mature, serious characters and storyline" as opposed to "blood and sex").

Fish and Chips wrote:No, I meant as far as spoilers go, Nobunga's death is lower on the chain than some other spoilers.

Ah, I see. I suppose that's reassuring.
uc pseudonym

Postby mai » Sat Mar 31, 2007 8:03 pm

Blade of the Immortal 1
My Website [online comic]

Do you find your self worried alot of the time about things that don't always make sense?

Are you experiencing any of these?
• Persistent feelings of sadness, irritability or anxiety
• Overreaction to irritations
• Loss of interest in activities previously enjoyed,
• Sleep too much, or sleep too little
• Unexpected loss or gain of weight
• Tiredness or restlessness
• Slowed movement, thought and/or speech
• Guilt, low self-esteem, feelings of worthlessness
• Inability to concentrate and poor memory
• Loss of motivation
• Feelings of hopelessness
• Suicidal thoughts and/or behavior
• Withdrawal from relationships, anti-social behavior
• Physical aches and pains that seem to have no other cause

If you have a few of the symptoms on this list, you may be suffering from a form of clinical depression there are many sites that offer advice and help.
mai

Postby Tenshi no Ai » Sun Apr 01, 2007 6:36 pm

I actually got Fruits Basket 12 done rather quickly, compared to my last manga.... Well, now to see how long it takes me to read the next one: RG Veda 3.
神 は、 その 独り 子 を お与え に なった ほど に 世 お愛 された。
独り 子 を 信じる 者 が 一人 も滅 ひない で, 永遠 の 命 お得る ため で ある。

ヨハネ 3:16
Tenshi no Ai

Postby WrestlingOtaku » Sun Apr 01, 2007 9:45 pm

I'm re-reading Black Cat vol. 7 at the moment.
WrestlingOtaku

Postby jorvaa » Thu Apr 05, 2007 7:11 am

Just finished Prince of Tennis volume 1. I plan to read the first volume of La Corda d'Oro after Easter.
Oh, and I'm reading the second volume of FMA online.
"The only place outside of Heaven where you can be perfectly safe from all the dangers and perturbations of love is Hell." - C.S. Lewis

[My LJ] - [My DA]
jorvaa

Postby uc pseudonym » Thu Apr 05, 2007 5:35 pm

Battle Royale

I'll probably write up a review before too long. For now, I'll just say that series like this are why there's a "10" on the violence scale. Interesting story and psychology, but I'm going to need to undergo some mental detoxification from all the gore, nudity, and sex.

Gunblazewest

Meaningless and forgettable shonen, read partly to offset the above. Mildly amusing because it's set in America.
uc pseudonym

Postby Adie » Thu Apr 05, 2007 9:06 pm

Fruits Basket volumes 2-3.
Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE volume 5.
Adie

Postby Fish and Chips » Thu Apr 05, 2007 9:54 pm

uc pseudonym wrote:Battle Royale

I'll probably write up a review before too long. For now, I'll just say that series like this are why there's a "10" on the violence scale. Interesting story and psychology, but I'm going to need to undergo some mental detoxification from all the gore, nudity, and sex.

Which causes me to raise an eyebrow, because I'm fairly certain there was no sex or nudity in its source material (which I admittedly haven't read).
Wikipedia wrote:The manga follows the plot of the novel fairly closely, but also expands on the backstory of each of the students. It is also far more sexually graphic than the novel and film versions, and is also noted for its intense, gory violence

Alright, show of hands: who hates crass marketing?

We do.
Fish and Chips

Postby KeybladeWarrior » Fri Apr 06, 2007 7:25 am

Hikaru no Go Vol. 1
@)}~`,~ Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks, To All
The CAA Moderators.

"YEAH TOAST! TOCAA!"
KeybladeWarrior

Postby jon_jinn » Sat Apr 07, 2007 10:03 am

Fish and Chips wrote:Which causes me to raise an eyebrow, because I'm fairly certain there was no sex or nudity in its source material (which I admittedly haven't read).

unless the rest of your post contradicts your earlier postings (quoted above), i do believe that the manga DOES have nudity and sex. the first two volumes (which i read), aren't all over the sexual content, but focus more on developing the plot and characters. however, i do remember that there is a character who uses her...body to attract male characters and then kill them in a gory fashion (at least, that's what i thought when i read the preview for what happens in volume 3). i didn't read much of the series and i can't remember it all, but i'm pretty sure that there's at least SOME sexual content. but anyways...

read:
Zombie Powder volume 3
Rose Hip Zero volume 1

Rose Hip Zero is a pretty interesting manga. i wasn't sure if it was going to be filled with fan service since the author is the same one who did GTO. however, i was quite surprised to see that fan service was appearantly absent from the first volume (other than the front cover XD). the story's actually pretty interesting, and i'll probably be reading the next volume when it comes out. a nice change from GTO.
[SIZE="4"]*FASTING FROM CAA (9/25/08 - ???)*[/SIZE]

[SIZE="1"]
"Sometimes we don't present the Gospel well enough for the non-elect to reject it."
- John MacArthur

"In the total expanse of the human life, there is not a single square inch of which Christ, who alone is sovereign, does not declare, 'That is mine'."
- Abraham Kuyper

"God the great Creator of all things doth uphold, direct, dispose, and govern all creatures, actions, and things, from the greatest even to the least, by His most wise and holy providence, according to His infallible foreknowledge and the free and immutable counsel of His own will, to the praise of the glory of His wisdom, power, justice, goodness, and mercy."
- Westminister Confession of Faith (Chapter 5, Section 1)

"The wisdom of God has found a way for the love of God to deliver sinners from the wrath of God all the while upholding the righteousness of God!!"
- John Piper

"Grace is the pleasure of God to magnify the worth of God by giving sinners the right and power to delight in God without obscuring the glory of God!"
-John Piper

"The very One from Whom we need to be saved, is the One Who has saved us."
- R.C. Sproul

"All of Christian life is ceaseless worship of God the Father, through the mediatorship of God the Son, by the indwelling power of God the Spirit, doing what God commands in Scripture, not doing what God forbids in Scripture, in culturally contextualized ways, for the furtherance of the Gospel, when both gathered for adoration, and scattered for action, in joyous response to God's glorious grace."
- Mark Driscoll

"Believers do not pray with the view of informing God about things unknown to Him, or of exciting Him to do His duty, or of urging Him as though He were reluctant. On the contrary, they pray in order that they may arouse themselves to seek Him, that they may exercise their faith in meditating on His promises, that they may relieve themselves from their anxieties by pouring them into His bosom; in a word, that they may declare that from Him alone they hope and expect, both for themselves and for others, all good things."
- Martin Luther

"I have to tell you first that I am ready to die. I have put my affairs in order. Your supreme weapon is killing. My supreme weapon is dying, because when you kill me, people all over Romania will read my books and believe on the God that I preach - even more than they do now."
- Dr. Joseph Ton, the exiled Romanian pastor (quoted by James Montgomery Boice)

"The best prayer I ever prayed had enough sin in it to condemn the whole world."
- John Bunyan

"If the Christian has lost sight of Calvary, that shows that he has lost his way."
- J.I. Packer[/SIZE]
jon_jinn

Postby Ichigo_89 » Sat Apr 07, 2007 10:42 am

Battle Angel Alita vol.6

Berserk vol.28
Ichigo_89

Postby uc pseudonym » Sat Apr 07, 2007 11:36 am

Completed Battle Royale; haven't had time to read anything else yet.

jon_jinn wrote:i do believe that the manga DOES have nudity and sex.

I assume that he was referring to the novel on which the manga was based. The manga contains extensive nudity, it merely isn't pervasive.

Fish and Chips wrote:Which causes me to raise an eyebrow, because I'm fairly certain there was no sex or nudity in its source material (which I admittedly haven't read).
Admittedly, I have also not read the novel. However, the characters are fundamentally the same, and the majority of the sex/nudity is caused by Souma Mitsuko, who appears to be essentially the same in the various permutations:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitsuko_Souma
uc pseudonym

Postby jon_jinn » Sat Apr 07, 2007 1:26 pm

uc pseudonym wrote:The manga contains extensive nudity, it merely isn't pervasive.

i understand what you mean by that. like that one scene in the first volume. it was meant to give the readers a taste of the brutality of the series, and also to display the reactions of the various characters.

[SIZE="1"]
"Sometimes we don't present the Gospel well enough for the non-elect to reject it."
- John MacArthur

"In the total expanse of the human life, there is not a single square inch of which Christ, who alone is sovereign, does not declare, 'That is mine'."
- Abraham Kuyper

"God the great Creator of all things doth uphold, direct, dispose, and govern all creatures, actions, and things, from the greatest even to the least, by His most wise and holy providence, according to His infallible foreknowledge and the free and immutable counsel of His own will, to the praise of the glory of His wisdom, power, justice, goodness, and mercy."

"The wisdom of God has found a way for the love of God to deliver sinners from the wrath of God all the while upholding the righteousness of God!!"
- John Piper

"Grace is the pleasure of God to magnify the worth of God by giving sinners the right and power to delight in God without obscuring the glory of God!"
-John Piper

- R.C. Sproul

"All of Christian life is ceaseless worship of God the Father, through the mediatorship of God the Son, by the indwelling power of God the Spirit, doing what God commands in Scripture, not doing what God forbids in Scripture, in culturally contextualized ways, for the furtherance of the Gospel, when both gathered for adoration, and scattered for action, in joyous response to God's glorious grace."
- Mark Driscoll

"Believers do not pray with the view of informing God about things unknown to Him, or of exciting Him to do His duty, or of urging Him as though He were reluctant. On the contrary, they pray in order that they may arouse themselves to seek Him, that they may exercise their faith in meditating on His promises, that they may relieve themselves from their anxieties by pouring them into His bosom; in a word, that they may declare that from Him alone they hope and expect, both for themselves and for others, all good things."
- Martin Luther

"I have to tell you first that I am ready to die. I have put my affairs in order. Your supreme weapon is killing. My supreme weapon is dying, because when you kill me, people all over Romania will read my books and believe on the God that I preach - even more than they do now."

"The best prayer I ever prayed had enough sin in it to condemn the whole world."
- John Bunyan

"If the Christian has lost sight of Calvary, that shows that he has lost his way."
- J.I. Packer[/SIZE]
jon_jinn

Postby Fish and Chips » Sat Apr 07, 2007 2:56 pm

jon_jinn wrote:unless the rest of your post contradicts your earlier postings (quoted above), i do believe that the manga DOES have nudity and sex.

...And when, per chance, did I say it didn't? I'm talking about the novel.

FullMetal Alchemist vol. 12

The second installment of what is arguably the best arc of the entire series (volumes 11-14) thus far. I remember reading it when it was "Recent" in Japan, and now I own a copy. The fan has come full circle.

Mushishi vol. 1

I enjoyed what I had seen of the Anime, so I decided to check out the source. Art is simple yet retains a beautiful, earthreal afterfeel, like reading fairy tales. Still episodic, but draws me in. Waiting for volume 2, where I can read chapters that haven't already been covered by what I've seen of the Anime.
Fish and Chips

Postby jon_jinn » Sat Apr 07, 2007 7:08 pm

Fish and Chips wrote:...And when, per chance, did I say it didn't? I'm talking about the novel.

then please, with all due respect, forget what i posted earlier. i simply misunderstood your post.

[SIZE="1"]
- John MacArthur

- Abraham Kuyper

- John Piper

-John Piper

- R.C. Sproul

- Mark Driscoll

- Martin Luther

- John Bunyan

- J.I. Packer[/SIZE]
jon_jinn

Postby kryptech » Sun Apr 08, 2007 6:05 pm

I noticed "Death Note" vol 7 at the local library and since I'd heard a bit about it I figured I check it out. I was thoroughly confused at first but I caught on to some of the rules and intrigue by the end. It had some interesting stuff, but not enough for me to add the previous volumes to my library request list.
"Everybody's weird in their own special way." - P.V.
"Never refuse a breath mint." - my dad
"The UAC is making safer worlds through superior firepower." - Doom 3
"This world is a great sculptor's shop. We are the statues and there is a rumour going round the shop that some of us are some day going to come to life." - C.S. Lewis, Mere Christianity

"I'm too cool to scroll. -- MOES."
kryptech

Postby uc pseudonym » Mon Apr 09, 2007 5:18 pm

I would definitely recommend starting that series from the beginning. Without context a lot of the intrigue would be even drier than it is normally. But if you didn't find that volume interesting regardless you probably wouldn't find the series worth pursuing over a longer period of time.
uc pseudonym

Postby Shao Feng-Li » Mon Apr 09, 2007 5:29 pm

Naruto 16
Shao Feng-Li

Postby kryptech » Mon Apr 09, 2007 5:34 pm

uc pseudonym wrote:I would definitely recommend starting that series from the beginning. Without context a lot of the intrigue would be even drier than it is normally. But if you didn't find that volume interesting regardless you probably wouldn't find the series worth pursuing over a longer period of time.

That makes sense - it does seem like the type of series that builds on the last volume. If I've got a dry spell with reading I'll check out vol 1...
"This world is a great sculptor's shop. We are the statues and there is a rumour going round the shop that some of us are some day going to come to life." - C.S. Lewis, Mere Christianity

kryptech

Postby Fish and Chips » Mon Apr 09, 2007 11:58 pm

People really need to stop reading all these plot heavy Mangas starting with the middle volumes. Just yesterday I ran into a girl who was planning in starting FullMetal Alchemist from vol. 14. No. I've read vol. 14, and you do not start the series with that. So many best laid plans and careful revelations in there, you'll just ruin it if you flip through so late in the game. If I'm interested in a new series, I'll begin at the beginning, with vol. 1.

Just venting, Kryptech. Nothing on you.
Fish and Chips

Postby kryptech » Tue Apr 10, 2007 6:46 am

Fish and Chips wrote:People really need to stop reading all these plot heavy Mangas starting with the middle volumes.

I hear you man. Usually I hate looking ahead, as I like to discover things as they are revealed in due time. This was a rare exception. It won't happen again! ;)

kryptech

Postby jon_jinn » Tue Apr 10, 2007 4:25 pm

i don't get how someone can even START a manga series on any volume other than volume 1. it's totally illogical and it can really mess up a person's view of the series as well.

[SIZE="1"]
- John MacArthur

- Abraham Kuyper

- John Piper

-John Piper

- R.C. Sproul

- Mark Driscoll

- Martin Luther

- John Bunyan

- J.I. Packer[/SIZE]
jon_jinn

Postby MasterDias » Tue Apr 10, 2007 5:12 pm

Well, I suppose that there are a few episodic series here and there that one can read out of order, but yeah, generally speaking I would hope most people start a series at the beginning.

But krytech apparantly got that volume at the library and libraries aren't exactly the best places to read volumes in order...
-----------------------------------------
"Always seek to do good to one another and to all."
1 Thessalonians 5:15

"Every story must have an ending." - Auron - Final Fantasy X

"A small stone may make a ripple at first, but someday it will be a wave." - Wiegraf - Final Fantasy Tactics
MasterDias

Postby uc pseudonym » Tue Apr 10, 2007 6:29 pm

For series I only intend to sample, I've been known to read whatever volume the library has (I have no idea how they acquire these so randomly). But if I like it I will return to volume one and do my best to forget what I've read, because serious stories deserve to be read from the beginning.

I read through several volumes of Love Monster, a shoujo for some balance. It reminded me why I read shonen/seinen/josei.
uc pseudonym

Postby Adie » Wed Apr 11, 2007 1:11 pm

Angelic Layer volume 1.
Adie

Postby Fish and Chips » Fri Apr 13, 2007 4:20 pm

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure vol. 1

I've heard this series was a bit of an underground fad in America (and a fullblown sensation in Japan), so I decided to check it out. If there is a borderline between shounen and seinen, this series probably flirts with that line. Nice sense of style, and even humor at times, JoJo has a lot of potential, but I don't know if I'm going to stick with it for the long run. Only read about half the volume, and it was interesting (definitely better than most shounen serials), but only mildly compelling. However, the first volume of any series seldom is (unless heavily plot based), so I'll finish up vol. 1 and look for vol. 2 if given the chance.

And a word of warning to anyone else with their eyes on this series: it's pretty violent.

Kenshin vol. 2

Continuing at Radical Dreamer's suggestion. Already the art has improved tremendously, though the plot is still fairly loose. I know something big is brewing in the near future, though, so I'll forge ahead when I find vol. 3

Reading both of these in the store by the way.
Fish and Chips

Postby jon_jinn » Fri Apr 13, 2007 6:50 pm

read Rose Hip Rose volume 1.

now this is what i call a violent manga. this manga's level of violence almost gets all the way up there with Gantz (though thankfully not quite as frequent).

[SIZE="1"]
- John MacArthur

- Abraham Kuyper

- John Piper

-John Piper

- R.C. Sproul

- Mark Driscoll

- Martin Luther

- John Bunyan

- J.I. Packer[/SIZE]
jon_jinn

Previous Next

Return to Manga and Manga Reviews